System Font Comparison

Using applications, configuring, problems
Smithy

System Font Comparison

#1 Post by Smithy »

I looked in usr/share/fonts between Slacko 5.6 (great job by 01 micko btw)
and Finlandia three headed dog puppy.

The stuff in there looks the same, but why does thee headed dog look so much more refined and less blocky in places?

The place that you can really notice the difference is using rxvt in 5.6, and roxterm in 3HD. Even if you load roxterm pet to 5.6.

If you can't spot the difference then might be best to move to a Magoo Pup!

That's the main place to look but there are other places where the difference is so noticeable, raggedy look. thin spidery text.

Was there something left out or is it because 3hd was based on Ubuntu or something?
And it has nothing to do with turning on the lcd rendering hinting thing. Makes no difference.

Wonder if anyone knows what the reason is?

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Hmm I noticed a weird terminal font when I tried lucid.... /root/.Xdefaults might be worth a look but also /etc/X11/appdefaults may come into play.

Basically a larger console font had been chosen which looked awful.
The defination of such fonts is a bit weird and may use an alias.... fonts misc are where ever they are hidden.

mike

Smithy

#3 Post by Smithy »

I understand some of what you are saying mike.

Ok I have done a few snapshots from 5.6 and 3HD just to show some differences.
There is a clear difference in quality. The text is thicker and more solid.

Abiword is sweet in both Puppies. Nice and clear text and rcrn51 printing pets are great too. I remember when the printouts looked like a daisywheel had done them!

I just wanted to point this out as when new users download the latest stuff, they may be subtly disappointed by "the look".

The other thing might be to "turn on" clearlooks in the portion of QT that exists inside the Puppy as standard. I notice that, particularly on the Jack interface.

I wouldn't know how the heck to do that.

So from what you are saying, it might be quite an easy fix for the devs to get it up to scratch.
Attachments
3hd roxterm1.png
(76.84 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
56 urxvt.png
(110.72 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
3hd roxterm2.png
(122.35 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
pupdial.png
(12.39 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
3hdpupdial.png
(11.93 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Last edited by Smithy on Sun 10 Nov 2013, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Ok first screenie looks like roxterm is using a true type font like vte based terminals.
Uxterm is bitmap only so that's how it is.

second roxterm is using an X bitmap font it seems...one to look out for in its config.
So yes just a setting it seems...perhaps the monospace true type font previously used has been removed/changed
Micko will know whats happened specifically.

mike

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

When I have a bug that Xorg does not find fonts ( out of the FONTPATH ) or xapps are not apple to decompress .pcf.gz fonts, my fonts in the console emulator also look nicer ..

:D

Puppys X11 fonts are really plundered, the default freedesktop font-NAME-Version .gz's would take 40MB and ungzip'ed 120MB .

Former Xorg was looking in /usr[/X11R7]/lib/X11/fonts and now it looks into /usr[/X11R7]/share/fonts/X11 .

/etc/fonts is also a place to look for difference ( installed by the fontconfig pkg ) .

Font-Libs are libfontenc, libXfont and libXft .

Smithy

#6 Post by Smithy »

So, finally, a bug that is a feature :)

Well whatever it does, the memory usage is still around 84mb as usual.

That's cool karl, never thought that that would be the reason. Some bugs should stay in Puppy lol.