NetFlix testers required for CHROMIUM (NOT Chrome)...

News, happenings
Mike Walsh

NetFlix testers required for CHROMIUM (NOT Chrome)...

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, everybody.

Due to some fortuitous posting in peebee's 'Chromium SFS' thread by trikly, one of our 'quieter' members, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 008#897008

...and here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 125#897125

... some research by myself, and some digging around by peebee, it may soon be possible to enable viewing NetFlix with Chromium, instead of having to install Google's Chrome in order to do so.

Neither peebee nor myself have a NetFlix account. I don't think either of us wishes to part with hard-earned dosh, simply to test a scheme that may not work anyway! So, what's really needed are some Forum members who do watch NetFlix and similar services on a regular basis, and who would be prepared to do some testing for us. :smile:

It will involve three things:-

1) Installing one of peebee's recent Chromium SFS packages (for testing purposes) from the thread in 'Browsers & Internet'; it would be helpful if both 32-bit and 64-bit versions can be tested.

2) Swapping a few modules around, which will be provided anyway; peebee's given a link to his source for these particular modules, and I'm going to provide some for testing a slightly older version. Instructions for this will be fairly simple; there's nothing major involved.

3) Going into 'chrome://flags' and enabling a couple of options, and then.....

.....giving NetFlix a whirl, and reporting back on the outcome, please. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I don't use it myself, I know a lot of Forum members do watch NetFlix. I also know a lot of 'Puppians' dislike all the Google 'nosy' crap that's part & parcel of Chrome by default. Chromium, of course, is missing much of this (yay!), so.....if this experiment is successful, I'm hopeful peebee may be able to offer a 'NetFlix-ready' Chromium in the near future.

Can we have some volunteers, please.....? :smile: If anybody's interested in helping with this, I'll be starting a new thread for it in the 'Browsers & Internet' sub-forum.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 03 Apr 2016, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

I'll give it a shot. Might take a couple of days until I have time.

Netflix has a free trial though you can use for testing.

smokey01

#3 Post by smokey01 »

I'm in as long as chromium works in Fatdog64-702.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi guys. Thanks for volunteering.

@dancytron:-

Thanks for the info about the free trial. That's one thing I didn't know about...cheers for that. It'll be a couple of days before I get this all organised, anyway.

@smokey01:-

Welcome, welcome. Hm. TBH, I'm not sure whether the SFS packages do work in FatDOG.....never used it myself. D'you use any SFS packages with it currently?

Actually, peebee does offer a .pet converter in the later posts in the thread, since he only produces his Chromium packages as an SFS. That might work out better for you. I've used it myself to convert one of the older versions of Chromium to a .pet, and it's worked flawlessly.

If you don't have any joy with them, perhaps see if jamesbond or kirk have got any ideas. Should be able to sort something out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as testing goes, I'm going to wait and see if we get any other volunteers (obviously, the more, the better!), but I'll post the 'testing' thread within the next 48 hrs at most. It'll be in the 'Browsers & Internet' sub-forum. Shan't keep you waiting too long.

Thanks for your interest. Cheers.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 04 Apr 2016, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

I'll give it a go. :D

My present understanding is that the CHROMIUM SFS is not yet available.
Right?

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Sylvander.

Umm; you've lost me... peebee's Chromium SFS packages have been available for quite some time now, in the 'Browsers and Internet' sub-forum. peebee updates them, on average, every 5-6 weeks, in line with the Chromium Project's release schedule. See here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81351

In fact, peebee only produces his packages in the SFS format. For anybody wanting them as a .pet, he provides a PET converter in most of the later posts.

Does that help to clarify matters? :)

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

OK...
1. I downloaded using the links in THIS POST...
32bit sfs:
chromium_49.0.2623.108+pepper_21.0.0.197_lx.sfs
And...
64bit sfs:
chromium64_49.0.2623.108+pepper_21.0.0.197_lx.sfs

2. Will now try them.
a. 32-bit Chromium within Slacko-5.7.0-pae:
a1. Won't run using the "Menu->Internet->Chromium" entry.
a2. Using the chromium command at a Console command prompt, I get:

Code: Select all

# chromium 
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)
# 
Where to get the missing dependencies?
What should I install?

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

O-kay.

You're running 570, with k.3.10.32, sooo..... Have you ever run Chromium on there before? If not, it's one of two things. Either you need libgconf2 and libgnomekeyring (and possibly libevent), or.....it's more likely that 570 is too old to run the up-to-date versions of Chromium, 'cos of the glibc library just being too old to support it. See peebee's explanation here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 012#893012

There's a patch you can apply to get it running, but sand-boxing is completely turned off. Just follow the links.

I had exactly the same problem with 570 last year; I found that the newest Chromium it would run (even with libgconf and libgnomekeyring) was 37. Yet it'll happily run Chrome 48!

You can get libgconf and libgnomekeyring from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86501

You'll find them at the bottom of the first post.

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

Installed:
libgconf2-4.1.5-s14.pet
libgnome-keyring-3.4.1-s14.0.pet
...Using the link to the post offering them, that you provided.

They made no difference.
Still getting the same warning of failure when using the chromium command.

I'll try a more modern Puppy tomorrow morning.

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

They generally offer a free first month just cancel before end of 29 days. However since I remaster fatdog64 with chrome and use it without save backs the tracking should be minimal. Also what works for AmazonFree also works for Netflix.

technosaurus

#11 Post by technosaurus »

Sylvander wrote:

Code: Select all

# chromium 
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium/chromium)
# 
You need a newer version of libstdc++ ... update your gcc package.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, everyone.

Right then. For anybody who's still interested, the test schedule will be found here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 301#897301

Cheers.

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

technosaurus wrote:...update your gcc package.
If I search the PPM, it finds gcc-4.2.2-1, BUT...
I have gcc-4.7.1 already installed.
Which version would I need, and where to get it?

p310don

#14 Post by p310don »

It worked for me without issue.

I am using Chromium Version 48.0.2564.97 in Tahr Pup and downloaded the widevine modules from a post by Peebee on the chromium thread here:

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... /pkg/14.1/

Installed the txz packages, restarted Chromium, started watching Fresh Prince of Bel Air.. :)

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

p310don wrote:It worked for me without issue.

I am using Chromium Version 48.0.2564.97 in Tahr Pup and downloaded the widevine modules from a post by Peebee on the chromium thread here:

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbu ... /pkg/14.1/

Installed the txz packages, restarted Chromium, started watching Fresh Prince of Bel Air.. :)
Excellent..! Thanks ever so much, Don. That's great news. Just one thing, though; could you post your result in the 'testing' thread, in 'Browsers & Internet'? I'd like to try and keep what results we get in one place... :)

One other point; is this 32-bit Tahrpup, or Tahrpup64?

Much appreciated.

cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

" some research by myself, and some digging around by peebee,
it may soon be possible to enable viewing NetFlix with Chromium,
instead of having to install Google's Chrome in order to do so. "

I would have liked more pet releases of Slimjet.
That worked on more Puppies.
At least you can configure it to stop Google.

Version 4.0.14.0 (based on Chromium 42.0.2311.90)
works fine in Windows...no issues...

watching Longmire now.

Chris.

smokey01

#17 Post by smokey01 »

smokey01

#18 Post by smokey01 »

Mike Walsh wrote:@smokey01:-
Welcome, welcome. Hm. TBH, I'm not sure whether the SFS packages do work in FatDOG.....never used it myself. D'you use any SFS packages with it currently?
All my larger applications in Fatdog are SFS files.
If you haven't tried Fatdog64 you sure are missing out :wink:

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

cthisbear wrote:" some research by myself, and some digging around by peebee,
it may soon be possible to enable viewing NetFlix with Chromium,
instead of having to install Google's Chrome in order to do so. "

I would have liked more pet releases of Slimjet.
That worked on more Puppies.
At least you can configure it to stop Google.

Version 4.0.14.0 (based on Chromium 42.0.2311.90)
works fine in Windows...no issues...

watching Longmire now.

Chris.
Hi, Chris.

I kind of agree with you about Slimjet; I use it myself, and like some of the features immensely. However, I've tried this business of adding-in the WideVine modules, and enabling 'E.M.E' in 'chrome://flags' with Slimjet, and I can't get it to work at all. It's based on Chromium as it is; where am I going wrong with this one, then?

Belham

installing chromium over chrome

#20 Post by Belham »

Hi all,

I am just trying to understand here why there is the need to install Chromium (especially to watch things like Netflix) over Chrome in most any Puppy? From other forum posters like Musher on down, I agree with not completely supporting the basalt monolith of S. California, but, dang, Chromium is just a royal PITA for all puppies when wanting to to watch Netflix (and not have to jump through hoops to get it to work).

I currently flip between using Slacko64 Puppy 6.3.0, Tahr64 Puppy 6.0.5, Barry's Quirky Werewolf64 7.4 and Fatdog64 702(when I've the patience for it to load). I've even played with the 64-bit versions of the dog (DebianDog64). Google chrome installs so easily on all of them, less than 2-3 mins and it's done. Google downloads as a .deb file that all puppies immediately are eager to install, and the best is that there is no more problem with Slackp64 & the running as root-vs-spot (3 words added in opt/google/chome/google chrome let you choose how you want to run it).

So, is the push towards Chromium only because of the omni-seeing (data-retrieving) eyes of Google vs Chromium? Isn't that argument is getting long in the tooth when you see what Firefox, Opera, and even some of the firefox-flavours are doing in terms of tracking & trying to phone home? Overall, I understand the push to have alternatives for browsers, which is much needed, but I am struggling to understand the hesitation in installing Google Chrome when all you wanna do is, say, watch Netflix. Especially when it is so easy in Puppies by just downloading the chrome .deb file and letting most all puppies do their thing (in fairness, if this issue is about getting chrome to run on 32-bit older pcs, then I am overlooking & overthinking everything here, apologies).

Anyhow, on all puppies mentioned above, I install Chrome and watch Netflix with no problems (depends which SD card of which puppy I slap into one of my Rocketek readers).