Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 30 Oct 2014, 10:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Photoshop replacement? - importing and exporting
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
scsijon

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 00:55    Post_subject:  Photoshop replacement? - importing and exporting  

I've been asked if I can help with a project that currently uses photoshop. !(don't yell, I won't use it and it's too expensive for a one off project)!

Before I say no, I was wondering if there is a decent replacement in the "puppy world" that allows you to import from and export to photoshop .psp files into one of our packages.

thanks
scsijon
ps i've done a search in the forum and nothing found seems to do this.
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 02:16    Post_subject:  

Did you mean *.psd files?

The GIMP has support for opening and saving to .psd files. I can't say I know how complete that support is, however.

Also, on the Windows/Mac end, you might look into Photoshop Elements. It's a sort-of basic version of Photoshop, which usually runs for about $100. Of course, there's versions of The GIMP for Windows and Macs, too...

Fossil

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 06:04    Post_subject:  

Have you considered XNView?
p310don

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 22:37    Post_subject:  

works in wine....

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/01/grab-photoshop-and-cs2-for-absolutely-free-right-here/

I have it and it works, but find I use GIMP almost exclusively, as I find it easier.
zigbert

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2013, 07:10    Post_subject:  

Makoto wrote:
The GIMP has support for opening and saving to .psd files. I can't say I know how complete that support is
google-summer-of-code 2013 has improved the support of psd-files in Gimp. I don't know when it will be included into the master branch. Gimp 2.8.8 does not include this new code.

Sigmund

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 08 Nov 2013, 22:48    Post_subject: psp file > xnview to convert > gimp to edit  

Hi scsijon,

As far as google could tell me, as of the date of this post gimp, itself, can't handle photoshop psp files. Psp stands for Paint Shop Pro. Per this 5 year old post, http://registry.gimp.org/node/6377 [which seems the most current] the easiest way to handle them is to batch convert them using xnview which, however, will merge multi-layered psp images. [Its alternative suggestion to use Paint Shop Pro to export them as png files assumes you have access to a program which natively handles psp files. Reminds me of the saying: "If we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs for breakfast. If we only had some eggs."]. At any rate, there are a couple of Puppy versions of xnview. After trying one, however, I decided for some reason that the XP portable version running under wine was better. It's actually a very nice graphic image management application --but not editor-- with a module for batch conversion. It also has a module for creating a slide show. I haven't used that and can't say whether it will run under wine.
Photo of GUI attached.

mikesLr
xnview.png
 Description   xp's xnview portable running under wine
 Filesize   186.14 KB
 Viewed   187 Time(s)

xnview.png

mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2013, 08:00    Post_subject:  

My gimp 2.4 has psp listed in file open dialog... perhaps if someone posted a sample psp we could test whats actually possible as I am curious now.

mike
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2013, 22:37    Post_subject: Re: psp file > xnview to convert > gimp to edit  

mikeslr wrote:
As far as google could tell me, as of the date of this post gimp, itself, can't handle photoshop psp files. Psp stands for Paint Shop Pro.

Just a minor nitpick: Paint Shop Pro isn't Photoshop. Very Happy That, and because the file extensions are similar (.psd vs. .psp) is why I was hoping scsijon would clarify whether or not he's working with the Paint Shop Pro files, or Photoshop .psd files. Embarassed

mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 09:35    Post_subject:  

Yes I saw that...not software I normally deal with...its all photoblah to me..

I did a quick test of some psp on my 2.4 gimp ...they imported with a little moaning but were useable....newer gimp should be better.
But if we are dealing with photoshop then thats another matter ...though my olde gimpo lists psd too.

mike
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum