Edit on:Any interest in a Kicad pet?

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
Moose On The Loose

Edit on:Any interest in a Kicad pet?

#1 Post by Moose On The Loose »

I have made Kicad work correctly on Puppy Linux in the past. It required that I edit some of the source code to fix errors and not try to do the bleeding edge version.

Kicad is a very nice electronics cad package. I does everything you need to make designs ready for manufacture. It connects nicely to ngspice for modeling.

Unfortunately, the developers seem to think that all Linuxes have the unbuntu stuff in them and they don't make a *.tar.gz of the source available for download. I am currently running the 2011 version. I am working to get the 2012 version to compile.

Edit:
SFS
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63vE6 ... sp=sharing

ngspice pet

kicad pet

It is still early going yet but they do now work. On the SFS you have to do an ldconfig. Perhaps next version will do that for you.
Last edited by Moose On The Loose on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 23:13, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#2 Post by saintless »

Hi and thank you!
I,m one of the people who will use Kicad puppy package.
I think the debian packages can be used for KDPup-484 but not for the rest of puppies.

Cheers, Toni

Moose On The Loose

#3 Post by Moose On The Loose »

saintless wrote:Hi and thank you!
I,m one of the people who will use Kicad puppy package.
I think the debian packages can be used for KDPup-484 but not for the rest of puppies.

Cheers, Toni
I am compiling on Puppy 528 I may break it into 2 pets
1) Kicad just the basics
2) Kicad all the extras

I may make it 3 to make the documentation and examples independent of the extra libraries. I plan on making my first try at it tonight. Wish me luck :).

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

I'll find it useful as well -- if I ever stop talking about going from Win7 to Puppy and actually do it :wink: :oops:

saintless

#5 Post by saintless »

Moose On The Loose wrote:I am compiling on Puppy 528 I may break it into 2 pets
1) Kicad just the basics
2) Kicad all the extras

I may make it 3 to make the documentation and examples independent of the extra libraries. I plan on making my first try at it tonight. Wish me luck :).
Thank you and good luck then! I'm sure many people will find these packages useful.
Cheers, Toni

sunburnt

#6 Post by sunburnt »

# Suggestion: In addition to Pets. make an all-in-one ( both Pets ) SFS file too.

I don`t know how big Kicad is, but Pet packages take up Save file space.
So it`s really quite a service to Puppy users for app. builders to make SFS files also.

Good luck with your project Moose On The Loose. Need help.? Just yell, we`re here...

Moose On The Loose

#7 Post by Moose On The Loose »

sunburnt wrote:# Suggestion: In addition to Pets. make an all-in-one ( both Pets ) SFS file too.

So it`s really quite a service to Puppy users for app. builders to make SFS files also.

Good luck with your project Moose On The Loose. Need help.? Just yell, we`re here...
I think this may work, with a few problems:

Problems:
1) Holy smoke is it big I may roll an SFS of it too

2) There are some debug messages that pop up. It works ok if you click the "continue" for about all 10 messages

3) There appears to be a missing file.

.... Please add more problems here .....[/url]

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

Please do, and let us know source would like to compile on ARM

Moose On The Loose

#9 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Ted Dog wrote:Please do, and let us know source would like to compile on ARM
I'll give it to you complete with the finished compile and my few changes. This doesn't have the libraries in it.

You will need the wxWidgets sources to make the compile work. I didn't need to make any changes to them and they ar easy to find with the googles.

You can pet2tgz the pet and get the libraries I put into the pet.

If you make changes, please share them back. Tonight, I may do a little work on getting one of the debug messages gone.

I am also compiling ngspice. I have it working with the net list out of Kicad. There are a few bugs that I may deal with by making a script that takes in the netlist and modifies it. The one that gets me the most is:

When you enable the XSpice S_XFER models, you can't use "pi" as the number pi in the model. You have to type 3.14159.....

I may bother to go find the bit of code involved in parsing that and fix that too but I expect a script with a bit of a gui to fire off the program in a terminal will be needed.

Moose On The Loose

#10 Post by Moose On The Loose »

sunburnt wrote:# Suggestion: In addition to Pets. make an all-in-one ( both Pets ) SFS file too.

Here's the SFS as you requested

after you load it, do a ldconfig command. I left that out

saintless

#11 Post by saintless »

Tested with lupu-528. I confirm message for missing file pga_socets.mod
Starting Kicad from terminal gives this output:

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# kicad
02:34:08 PM: Debug: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
02:34:09 PM: Debug: Loading KiCad project file: /root/noname.pro

(kicad:20172): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for `file:///root/noname.pro': Error stating file '/root/nonash-4.1# kicad
02:34:08 PM: Debug: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

(kicad:20172): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for `file:///root/noname.pro': Error stating file  '/root/noname.pro': No such file or directory
pcb_calculator gives the error from the picture:

Cheers, Toni

Moose On The Loose

#12 Post by Moose On The Loose »

saintless wrote:Tested with lupu-528. I confirm message for missing file pga_socets.mod
I'll have to track that down. It appears to be just a missing file from what I downloaded. It works without it.
Starting Kicad from terminal gives this output:

sh-4.1# kicad
I haven't been able to figure out what the "SESSION_MANAGER" is or even why you would want it. If you don't see any reason for whatever it is, I think I will just track down that bit of code and disable it.

I can fix that by adding a file for noname.pro
Kicad wants to start where you left off and seems not to believe in the idea that it may not be continuing.

(kicad:20172): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for `file:///root/noname.pro': Error stating file '/root/nonash-4.1# kicad

(kicad:20172): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to retrieve the file info for `file:///root/noname.pro': Error stating file  '/root/noname.pro': No such file or directory
Those are the same issue as above. Are you using the SFS or the pet?
This weekend, I will try to find a way to make that all go away
pcb_calculator gives the error from the picture:
Yes, I see that one and a few like it They seem to be warnings we can get past but I will look into it. For now hit continue and it seems to work.

Cheers, Toni

saintless

#13 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Moose On The Loose :)

I use the pet package. Kicad seems to work well so the errors I posted are only for information. Even in this form the package is good add-on for puppy users.

Cheers, Toni

Moose On The Loose

#14 Post by Moose On The Loose »

saintless wrote:Thanks, Moose On The Loose :)

I use the pet package. Kicad seems to work well so the errors I posted are only for information. Even in this form the package is good add-on for puppy users.

Cheers, Toni
Have you tried the ngspice?

It s compiled with full XSpice ability. You can do a transfer function in laplace form. There is a bunch of stuff for me to learn about its full mixed mode. It does the guts of a logic section as an event based system so that it can go very fast even while doing an FPGA with Rs and Cs and JFETs and etc around it.

So far, I have been making Kicad spit out the net list then doing the spice from a terminal. I hope to make this built in too.

saintless

#15 Post by saintless »

Moose On The Loose wrote:Have you tried the ngspice?

It s compiled with full XSpice ability. You can do a transfer function in laplace form. There is a bunch of stuff for me to learn about its full mixed mode. It does the guts of a logic section as an event based system so that it can go very fast even while doing an FPGA with Rs and Cs and JFETs and etc around it.

So far, I have been making Kicad spit out the net list then doing the spice from a terminal. I hope to make this built in too.
Havent tested proper yet. I will do it in the next few days. This version has more options. Debian Squeezy has ver 2007-2010 (as far as I remeber) but this is newer one.

Cheers, Toni

Moose On The Loose

#16 Post by Moose On The Loose »

saintless wrote:
Moose On The Loose wrote:Have you tried the ngspice?

Havent tested proper yet. I will do it in the next few days. This version has more options. Debian Squeezy has ver 2007-2010 (as far as I remeber) but this is newer one.

Cheers, Toni
Updated version:

This one is really huge because it has the debug symbols in it. This way you can see the file name and line in the details section if it asserts.

I fixed all of the errors you found but the ldconfig is still needed. and it still
has to be run from the prompt.

I did something that is good for new users but may be a small problem for you. I put a /root/.kicad and a /root/.eeschem and a directory /root/jkicad in the SFS

By doing this I could make a "default.pro" and "default.sch" in the Kicad directory and make kicad think they were the last you were working on. This way, I could avoid an error message and also supply a test of kicad and ngspice for the user.

saintless

#17 Post by saintless »

Moose On The Loose wrote:I did something that is good for new users but may be a small problem for you. I put a /root/.kicad and a /root/.eeschem and a directory /root/jkicad in the SFS
Thank you, Moose On The Loose, no problem for me at all.
Downloading the sfs and I will try it with few more puppy versions.
Cheers, Toni

saintless

#18 Post by saintless »

Last SFS tested on lupu-528 gives this error:

sh-4.1# kicad
kicad: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_gl-2.9.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
The SFS file is big so it might be corrupted.. I will download it again.
Cheers, Toni

Edit: It was bad download I guess. SFS works on lupu-528. No error messages this time :)
I will share more after proper testing.

Moose On The Loose

#19 Post by Moose On The Loose »

saintless wrote:Last SFS tested on lupu-528 gives this error:

sh-4.1# kicad
kicad: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_gl-2.9.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
The SFS file is big so it might be corrupted.. I will download it again.
Cheers, Toni

Edit: It was bad download I guess. SFS works on lupu-528. No error messages this time :)
I will share more after proper testing.
I still have the issue where you have to type

ldconfig

The first time you add the SFS in

I need to do the pinstall.sh that I put in the pet file in the SFS

mister_electronico

Thanks for you pet

#20 Post by mister_electronico »

Hi Moose On The Loose thanks for you sfs file.

I download it, and seen work well, Did my first scheme smoothly.

I am working with puppy slacko 5.6. the only little problem was missing library :

libnotify.so.1

But with the next code work:

ln -s /usr/lib/libnotify.so /usr/lib/libnotify.so.1

See you.

https://misterelectronicoes.wordpress.com/
Last edited by mister_electronico on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.