Problem keeping the wireless connected (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
dotHack

Problem keeping the wireless connected (Solved)

#1 Post by dotHack »

I don't know if it is actually a "problem" (like driver problem or something) or just a config. thing I can't find, but when I'm on wlan and I stop using the machine for a few minutes, when I come back the connection has been lost and I have to do all the connection setup again. Is there a way to keep the machine "always" connected? no matter if i'm not using it? since it requires many steps to regain connection (right clic, setup wlan, clic on icon that brings down then up the wlan card, searches for wlan available, when it finds you clic connect, then after some seconds it asks for firewall and theeen you are online..)

Also someone has reported this problem on another forum but it seems to be driver-related so I'm just going to comment on this. With my broadcom wireless card I can't connect to WPE protected wlan (i could do it on other linux distros though and also on windows), I had to deactivate WPE on my router (change to WPA) to be able to use Puppy on wlan. No complains at all, but is a small issue for people who can't set up their security policy (school/airports etc).

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

when I'm on wlan and I stop using the machine for a few minutes, when I come back the connection has been lost

Try this. Go to your /root/Startup folder and make a script called stay-connected. Add these lines
#!/bin/sh
while [ 1 ]; do
ping -c 1 8.8.8.8 >/dev/null 2>&1
sleep 30
done
Make sure that the script has execute permission.

Reboot your computer. Every 30 seconds it will ping that address to keep the network connection alive.

For your convenience, I have packaged the script as a PET below. Version 1.2 will start running immediately without requiring a reboot.
Attachments
stay-connected-1.2.pet
Updated 2014-12-09
(471 Bytes) Downloaded 744 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 11 Feb 2015, 13:27, edited 6 times in total.

shinobar

Re: Problem (?) keeping the wireless connected...

#3 Post by shinobar »

dotHack wrote:since it requires many steps to regain connection (right clic, setup wlan, clic on icon that brings down then up the wlan card, searches for wlan available, when it finds you clic connect, then after some seconds it asks for firewall and theeen you are online..)
Right click and 'Autoconnect', doesn't it work?
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

dotHack

#4 Post by dotHack »

Thanks rcrsn51!! I already installed your pet and will confirm whether it worked or not, thanks a lot for taking the time to make it =)

And shinobar... I don't see an "autoconect" option anywhere. I might just be missing it but since I don't turn off this laptop and it never leaves my bedroom, if rcrsn51's pet works then it'll be awesome to me =)

Thank you guys for your quick answers =)

dotHack

#5 Post by dotHack »

I just wanted to report that so far your pet seems to have solved the issue =) thanks a lot!!

yorkiesnorkie

Success, Wireless stays connected, finally!

#6 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

I'd like to report that the pet containing this script works perfectly with our Lupu installation. Our wireless connection kept dropping all the time. I installed the script and it stayed connected! Thank you rcrsn51!

Yorkie
:)
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

Shep

#7 Post by Shep »

So can we conclude that there is a setting somewhere to drop the connection after x minutes of no traffic? Is that setting on the modem/router, or does it lie out of reach at the provider's end?

yorkiesnorkie

#8 Post by yorkiesnorkie »

All I can tell you is my wife or I were using Facebook and would get up to make tea or something and by the time we got back the connection had dropped. We ran the wireless wizard from the tray, and were able to see the SSID, type in the key, and then we were re-connected. This might happen several times though the course of a day, and even when we were using Firefox or something. The next day around the PC would boot up fine and connect, but then the connection dropped. My wife has been using the script since I installed it without complaint about dropping the network.

Y.
[url]http://www.busygamemaster.com[/url]

jhecht

#9 Post by jhecht »

dotHack wrote:I just wanted to report that so far your pet seems to have solved the issue =) thanks a lot!!
Also worked for me with Slacko Puppy v. 5.6.0. Works great, many thanks!
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline