can8v

#61 Post by can8v »

pedro wrote:
can8v wrote:
pedro wrote: There seem to be at least three different mk802 models:

mk802
mk802-1gb
mk802_A10s

Can you tell us if your model has 512mb or 1gb memory?
Can you take a look inside and check if your mk802 has a A10 or a A10s cpu?
With this i can build you specific script.bin and uboot for your device

Have you tryed booting alpha 3 iso?
Here is the link to what I bought on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3 ... UTF8&psc=1
It does have a label on the back of the device that says "MK802A-1" I don't think I can get it open without breaking it. I definitely has the 1GB of RAM listed in the specs at Amazon.
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this.
I made a image for mk802_1gb. it comes with mele kernel and mk802_1gb u-boot/script.bin. It's a 1gb image. Just write the image to a sd card and try to see if it works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd0r4vm2gsnf3 ... k8021g.zip
I never could get this to work, I finally gave up and sold it today. I am getting my wife the OODroid U3 Community Edition instead. Hopefully I will be able to get Fat Dog Arm working on it, as I am not planning on ordering the Android module for it and I would rather not have to put Ubuntu on it.
Thanks for your efforts in helping me try to get this working, but I think the A-1 version of the device, simply will not boot from the micro SD slot. No matter what I tried it went straight to Android.

pedro

#62 Post by pedro »

can8v wrote:
pedro wrote:
can8v wrote: Here is the link to what I bought on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3 ... UTF8&psc=1
It does have a label on the back of the device that says "MK802A-1" I don't think I can get it open without breaking it. I definitely has the 1GB of RAM listed in the specs at Amazon.
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this.
I made a image for mk802_1gb. it comes with mele kernel and mk802_1gb u-boot/script.bin. It's a 1gb image. Just write the image to a sd card and try to see if it works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd0r4vm2gsnf3 ... k8021g.zip
I never could get this to work, I finally gave up and sold it today. I am getting my wife the OODroid U3 Community Edition instead. Hopefully I will be able to get Fat Dog Arm working on it, as I am not planning on ordering the Android module for it and I would rather not have to put Ubuntu on it.
Thanks for your efforts in helping me try to get this working, but I think the A-1 version of the device, simply will not boot from the micro SD slot. No matter what I tried it went straight to Android.
Sorry for not being able to help you more but on the other hand that was a good choice, i have one U2, and it works great with fatdog. It's a lot more powerful than allwinner A10. If you have any problem installing we will be here to help you

can8v

#63 Post by can8v »

Ted Dog wrote:lol.
starhawk you made me laugb hard... That is not a trival request list... Would love to have half of those well supported by default in any puppylinux spin.
I think Starhawk's list is quite doable and I have had similar setups in a few of the puppies I have used over the years. Certainly I always at least try any puplet that uses something other than Seamonkey. I have never liked that setup. I don't like JWM or ROX either so I always like to try out puplets that have something else. For window managers I love XFCE, and LXDE. I can go for iceWM as well. I like Thunar, xfe, PCman and SpaceMan for file managers. Chromium and Chrome are the best browsers I have seen in Linux. When it comes to a browser I don't mind it being a little large as long as it is blazing fast, accurately renders pages, supports flash and java and has basic features like tabbed browsing. I don't need email, P2P or any other non-webbrowsing features built in.

All I really expect out of the box though is for my hardware to be supported, a good window manager and file manager, and a package manager with all the packages I need. Sheesh, that isn't to much to ask is it?

Then again I have been waiting for years for somebody to figure out how to get any version of puppy working on the ARM platform, so at this point I am quite happy to take whatever I can get.

That reminds me. Thank you JB007 and all who helped make this happen.

jamesbond

#64 Post by jamesbond »

starhawk wrote:Chrome or Chromium
I'll skip this unless someone can point me to an existing binary that work. Reason? see below about libreoffice. Somebody talked about pre-built Chromium waterfall which didn't quite work in Fatdog64 due to missing dependencies, we'll see if it fares better in FatdogArm - if an ARM version already exists in binary form (it should, ChromeOS runs on ARM).
(with full capabilities including flash
Ah yes, Flash. The only one that comes with full Flash support now is XO-4; even XO-1.75 doesn't have it (licensing problems). The reason is simple - it is closed-source software; so we are the mercy of Adobe. If Adobe doesn't release the binaries for us - then we don't have it. I've read people using ChromeOS flash player (Pepperflash, yes that's the one - the ARM version) with limited success - but then you have to be running Chromium.
and extension support
This would be less of a problem if you can solve the first two above ;)
LibreOffice (or a nearly identical substitute)
Right now I only have Abiword and Gnumeric. Gnumeric is good enough for most tasks; abiword, not very. Libreoffice doesn't have ready-made ARM binaries, but we should be able to build one (do you know that the source of chromium, a *web browser*, is a couple of times larger than the size of libreoffice source code, a *full fledged office suite*? That's the reason I *flatly refuse* to build chromium from source. Gzipped source of seamonkey is around 150MB. Gzipped source of chromium is in the GBs range. You may disagree with me but I hold the opinion that chrome/chromium goodness is way overhyped and overstated. )

Anyway, the reason I didn't attempt to build libreoffice before is because I didn't see the point - Mele wasn't power enough to build it (it already struggled to build seamonkey). I may try this on the odroid later when beta is stable.
Some sort of professional vector art program (better than Inkscape, needs to support Corel *.cdr files)
Such as?
Printing support for Canon and HP printers (including printing 11x17 paper for Canons; the HP is an all-in-one)
Scanning support for HP and Xerox scanners (the HP is that all-in-one, and the Xerox is oooooold but works nicely)
Hardware support depends on drivers provided by the vendor. Most postscript printers are okay; but some inkjets require proprietary blobs that only exist on certain architecture; if they don't supply you the blobs for ARM then you can only bite your fingers ... :( That being said, I don't have a lot of printers for testing (in fact I only have one - an old Epson TX100 - and that one works). You know the go-to man for any printer, scanner and dvd/blueray issues is rcrsn51; but he isn't involved in the ARM arena yet.
Wine would be super amazing but I'm not expecting it
Wine only works on x86/x86_64, unfortunately.
Music player
Xine and mplayer in alpha, VLC in beta.
Picture viewer (I like Viewnior, a lot -- hint, hint)
yes, viewnior is the default on both alpha and beta.
Support for USB flash media (not bootable, just for files)
Yes, working now.
IceWM support
IceWM package will be available in beta. But it's not configured, so I'm happy to accept contributions (must be properly multi-user configured).
can8v wrote:uses something other than Seamonkey.
Seamonkey gives the best bang for the buck.
I don't like JWM or ROX
JWM and ROX are the lightest weight all-round window managers, file managers, and desktop. Both are acquired taste. I don't fancy JWM but I have to admit that it is excellent for what it is doing. ROX is the lightest-weight desktop+filemanager, unfortunately it is no longer maintained so eventually it will go away - but while it works, it will stay.
I love XFCE, and LXDE
XFCE is nice, but it is not lightweight. We already have some of LXDE (ie openbox and lxpanel), it is a matter of bringing other LXDE programs into it.
I like Thunar, xfe, PCman and SpaceMan
Spaceman is more or less a replacement for PCMan. I considered to build SpaceFM before but haven't gotten around to do it. xfe is ok - I'll keep it in my todo list (xfe requires fltk). I can't remember where Thunar came from - is it from XFCE?
java
Yes, I want to have java too - I looked at it recently, on ARM it is not as easy in x86 because you *have* build it instead of using Oracle binaries; and building it is a bit of chicken and egg; because to build java you need ... java (seriously: to build java you need "Ant" build tool; and to run "Ant" you need java ... that is among many other similar things) :) I'll see if I can get Debian's OpenJDK to run on FatdogArm instead.
a package manager
FatdogArm uses slapt-get and gslapt; which is quite nice (I think) and faster than Fatdog64's own package manager.
with all the packages I need.
FatdogArm is compatible for Slackbuilds (for building from source). I will include sbopkg (slackbuild package manager) in beta. I don't have the tool yet, but in theory it should be possible to use Debian armhf packages on FatdogArm beta as well as they have the same hardware platform requirement (you can't do that for alpha because the hardware requirement *was* different).
All I really expect out of the box though is for my hardware to be supported
To put things into perspective: I'm just one person with limited resources; so support can only go so far. *Especially* hardware support, and *especially* in the ARM world where every device is different ... :? I can't test with hardware I don't own. People like Jemimah and rcrsn51 went as far as *buying* devices so that they can test them; I don't have that kind of resources to do the same; I've got kids to feed :lol:
I am quite happy to take whatever I can get.
And you can make it better by contributing packages (when you get up and running) or other things.
Thank you JB007 and all who helped make this happen.
No worries, and again I would thank the anonymous benefactor who kindly gave me the boards and to mavrothal who sponsored me to get the XOs, and kirk who started Fatdog project in the first place.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Mercedes350se

#65 Post by Mercedes350se »

pedro wrote:i have one U2, and it works great with fatdog. It's a lot more powerful than allwinner A10. If you have any problem installing we will be here to help you
I assume that fatdog will also work on the odroid u3?

can8v

#66 Post by can8v »

Mercedes350se wrote:
pedro wrote:i have one U2, and it works great with fatdog. It's a lot more powerful than allwinner A10. If you have any problem installing we will be here to help you
I assume that fatdog will also work on the odroid u3?
01micko is using FatDog ARM and gave it such a glowing review I bought one too. I haven't received mine yet. It took them 6 days to get the package to FedEx and that was a few days ago. Looks like when it finally gets to town I will be on vacation, so I am going to have to go to FedEx and have them hold the package. Thankfully they are only a mile or two from the house.

Mercedes350se

#67 Post by Mercedes350se »

I, for what ever reason, am not able to post. Sorry everyone. Moderator please delete this post if possible.
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 05:16, edited 4 times in total.

Mercedes350se

#68 Post by Mercedes350se »

I had a rush of blood and purchased one of these. Time will tell if it was wise or not.
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 10:38, edited 4 times in total.

Mercedes350se

#69 Post by Mercedes350se »

Sorry. I am having difficulties. Moderator please delete this post if possible.
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 05:17, edited 2 times in total.

can8v

#70 Post by can8v »

Mercedes350se wrote:I had a rush of blood and purchased one of these. Time will tell if it was wise or not.
I almost bought one of those recently for about the same price. I ended up buying the RK3066 instead and my client was happy. The RK3188 is supposed to be a modest upgrade, from the RK3066, but my client needed it quick and wanted Android, so I didn't get to try Fatdog ARM on it. It performed quite well on Android though. Surprisingly few quirks considering I was using an OS designed for a touch screen, but was using a keyboard and a mouse. If you have luck getting Fat Dog ARM Working on this I think you will have achieved a fantastic deal and if you end up stuck with Android or Ubuntu, then you still will have done fine. Either way I am sure you will not regret it.

Mercedes350se

#71 Post by Mercedes350se »

can8v wrote: If you have luck getting Fat Dog ARM Working on this I think you will have achieved a fantastic deal
In the hard light of day I wondered about that - I have seen nothing referring to Fat Dog ARM on the MK908II ...

can8v

ODROID U3

#72 Post by can8v »

My ODROID U3 CE came today a whole 2 days early. I was so excited. I got out the Samsung Class 10 16GB Micro SD I bought just for this purpose and followed the 2 partition method here http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/ar ... ml#a10_a20 along with all the other instructions.When I installed the uboot I got 12 thousand and some odd records in and out with no error. Seemed like everything was going to plan.
I unmount the sd and put it into the ODROID. Plugged in the WiFi dongle and bluetooth dongle HDMI cable and connected it to the TV. Then plugged in the power. I got a red LED on the ODROID, but absolutely nothing on the TV. I waited a minute probably looking dazed and confused. then checked the TV to make sure it was on HDMI, which it was. I didn't even get a bios splash screen or anything. Anybody have any ideas? There seems to be a tall skinning power button, so I tried carefully pushing it, which did nothing. I would think that even without an sd card at all I would at least get a bios splash screen.
Edit:
This introduction video talks about and shows a blue LED, but my LED stays on solid red.???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcIXknkcNjg#t=374

Mercedes350se

#73 Post by Mercedes350se »

On the odroid site there are links to two emagazines - I think the January one has the info you are looking for. They are about 10MB and 12MB.

OK. Transcribed from the emagazine

"Some consternation comes across your face as you see only a black screen for a short while, but later find this is normal as the ODROID doesn't have console mode output. The ODROID happily displays output once the full graphics display is initiated. At this point, you enter the super-secret passphrase (try "odroid" for the username and "odroid" for the password if you are stumped and your gigantic LED Plasma comes to life."

jamesbond

#74 Post by jamesbond »

can8v - I saw your PM and have replied to it two days ago, but it still shows as "outbox" so apparently it hasn't gotten into your inbox. This isn't the first time this is hapenning (it happens with others too), I thought I'd let you know that. In particular, I wish you good luck on your "new challenge". I will try to resend the full response again, but I have no faith whether it will get to you at all.

Based on my conversation with Micko, he told me that U3 does have the blue heartbeat LED, and it does have a power button that you must press before the system will turn on (U2 doesn't have the power button). That being said, let's go through a checklist. Sorry if they sound basic, but just to make sure we don't miss anything.
a) You need to read http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/ar ... #odroid-u2
b) You created 2 partitions. The first partition offset must be 5MB or more (I use 16MB), did you do that?
c) Did you download the correct kernel package?
d) The way install uboot is "dd if=uboot-u2.bin of=/dev/sdcard seek=1". Note -- no "bs=1024".
e) Copy everything else in the kernel package to the 1st partition.
f) Copy fd-arm-u2.sfs to 1st partition and rename it to 2nd partition.
g) Then apply power the U3 and press the power button.

If these don't work, try downloading hardkernel's ubuntu, and install it to your direction and see whether you've got a working system.

When you have a working system, then we;ll deal with this:
Plugged in the WiFi dongle
You need to let me know what wifi dongle you used. In particular, which chipset. I shipped the kernel package with almost no firmware; so you'll need to add firmware to make to make your wifi dongle works (except if it is one of the models that don't need one).
I didn't even get a bios splash screen or anything.
There is no BIOS splash screen. If FatdogArm boots, you will see text scrolling on screen. If Ubuntu boots, then you'll get the standard Ubuntu splash screen. But there is no BIOS splash screen as there is no BIOS.
I would think that even without an sd card at all I would at least get a bios splash screen.
No. No SD Card/ eMMC, then you don't get to see *anything* at all.
"Some consternation comes across your face as you see only a black screen for a short while, but later find this is normal as the ODROID doesn't have console mode output. The ODROID happily displays output once the full graphics display is initiated. At this point, you enter the super-secret passphrase (try "odroid" for the username and "odroid" for the password if you are stumped and your gigantic LED Plasma comes to life."
This was true for kernel 3.0. In kernel 3.8, which is what FatdogArm uses; Odroid does have console output screen.
In the hard light of day I wondered about that - I have seen nothing referring to Fat Dog ARM on the MK908II ...
No, because:
a) I don't have that
b) The last time I looked at it,
I was informed that MK908II / RK3166 is an awesome chip (RK3166 is quadcore, the stick comes with 2GB), but the problem is that it can't boot from SD Card, so you will need to write Ubuntu/FatdogArm as an Android recovery image and then coax MK908II to do recovery boot. Not exactly difficult but not exactly easy either and (again this was the last time I look at it, I may be wrong) it seems to require Windows to accomplish these steps. In theory you can do that as I've read somewhere that Rockchip did publish the kernel for RK3166. So what would required is to build the kernel, build the initrd, combine kernel+initrd+fd-arm.sfs to "android recovery image", and then flash it to the stick. Then tell the stick to boot from recovery image. But this is, of course, less than ideal. If you don't mind bricking the stick then it's perhaps it's okay.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Mercedes350se

#75 Post by Mercedes350se »

jamesbond wrote:No, because:
a) I don't have that
b) The last time I looked at it,
I was informed that MK908II / RK3166 is an awesome chip (RK3166 is quadcore, the stick comes with 2GB), but the problem is that it can't boot from SD Card, ..
According to the geekbuying site it is a RK3188T.

Oh dear! Never mind hopefully someone will come up with dual boot ubuntu eventually.

OR: Effectively write off the MK908II and go the odroid route?

EDIT: @jamesbond

The Feb issue of the emagazine on the odroid site describes dual booting ubuntu and android - If I go the odroid route would I be able to dual boot fatdog and android? Best of both worlds maybe.

jamesbond

#76 Post by jamesbond »

Mercedes350se wrote:According to the geekbuying site it is a RK3188T.
Yes, my bad, it should be RK3188.
Oh dear! Never mind hopefully someone will come up with dual boot ubuntu eventually.
I think they already got Ubuntu running on it (google for picuntu rk3188).
OR: Effectively write off the MK908II and go the odroid route?
Well I can't tell you what to do; you will have to decide for yourself :D
EDIT: @jamesbond

The Feb issue of the emagazine on the odroid site describes dual booting ubuntu and android - If I go the odroid route would I be able to dual boot fatdog and android? Best of both worlds maybe.
There are so many models of Odroid. Some comes with built-in eMMC with Ubuntu in it; some has detachable eMMC. U2 (mine) and U3 (Mick's) have detachable eMMC; with them you can install Ubuntu on one eMMC and FatdogArm on another (it can also use regular SD Card, not only eMMC, though eMMC will have better performance). So yes, dual-booting this way is possible.

Mercedes350se

#77 Post by Mercedes350se »

jamesbond wrote:I think they already got Ubuntu running on it (google for picuntu rk3188).
It seems that Wifi doesn't work - a deal breaker for me.
I thought there might have been some sort of, um, philosophical discussion.
There are so many models of Odroid. Some comes with built-in eMMC with Ubuntu in it; some has detachable eMMC. U2 (mine) and U3 (Mick's) have detachable eMMC; with them you can install Ubuntu on one eMMC and FatdogArm on another (it can also use regular SD Card, not only eMMC, though eMMC will have better performance). So yes, dual-booting this way is possible.
odroid U3
not sure whether eMMC or SD card.

Note I have to have Wifi working in both OS.

I possibly misunderstood so I will have to re-read the article but I thought it was dual boot on the one "card".

pedro

#78 Post by pedro »

Mercedes350se wrote:
jamesbond wrote:I think they already got Ubuntu running on it (google for picuntu rk3188).
It seems that Wifi doesn't work - a deal breaker for me.
I thought a response along the lines of, "The odroid has these advantages ... "
odroid U3
not sure whether eMMC or SD card.

Note I have to have Wifi working in both OS.

I possibly misunderstood so I will have to re-read the article but I thought it was dual boot on the one "card".

This is my personal experience with these devices

RK3188 performance is very similar to Exynos 4412 (odroid U3) performance. There is no clear winner here. But the RK3188T chip is slower! You can read more about this here:

http://liliputing.com/2014/02/rockchip- ... e-one.html

Exynos 4412 has good Linux support. RK3188 on the other hand has poor Linux support. Lack of 2d/3d acceleration and poor wireless support are some of the problems.

I have one mk908 and one odroid U2. My android experience on both is very good, maybe slightly better with the mk908 because there are some great custom roms made for it.

If you're looking for linux go for the odroid, it's the best choice.

There are are some threads about dual boot support in the same card on the odroid forums but i don't really know if it's possible or not

Mercedes350se

#79 Post by Mercedes350se »

pedro wrote:This is my personal experience with these devices

RK3188 performance is very similar to Exynos 4412 (odroid U3) performance. There is no clear winner here. But the RK3188T chip is slower! You can read more about this here:

You are correct. The RK3188T in the MK908II is only 1.4GHZ.
Exynos 4412 has good Linux support. RK3188 on the other hand has poor Linux support. Lack of 2d/3d acceleration and poor wireless support are some of the problems.
Hence my comment above.
I have one mk908 and one odroid U2. My android experience on both is very good, maybe slightly better with the mk908 because there are some great custom roms made for it.
Which ROMS are they. I may use the MK908II as an Android box - time will tell.

There are are some threads about dual boot support in the same card on the odroid forums but i don't really know if it's possible or not
It would seem, given that I really like "puppy" that the odroid U3 will be the way to go. Then Android dual boot would be the cream on the cake.

Incidentally the article is actually in the January issue of the emagazine and states, "It is the user's choice where the client root filesystems are physically located on a partition on the same drive as the host file system, on a different drive, or even on an image file that acts as another drive". I assume from this that the Ubuntu install they refer to is actually on the SD card.

I also assume that Fatdog is the same as other puppies, in that it will run from inside a directory, then all that needs to be done is modify the boot file in Android to allow a choice?

pedro

#80 Post by pedro »

Mercedes350se wrote:
pedro wrote:This is my personal experience with these devices

You are correct. The RK3188T in the MK908II is only 1.4GHZ.
Hence my comment above.
Which ROMS are they. I may use the MK908II as an Android box - time will tell.

It would seem, given that I really like "puppy" that the odroid U3 will be the way to go. Then Android dual boot would be the cream on the cake.

Incidentally the article is actually in the January issue of the emagazine and states, "It is the user's choice where the client root filesystems are physically located on a partition on the same drive as the host file system, on a different drive, or even on an image file that acts as another drive". I assume from this that the Ubuntu install they refer to is actually on the SD card.

I also assume that Fatdog is the same as other puppies, in that it will run from inside a directory, then all that needs to be done is modify the boot file in Android to allow a choice?
A good place to find roms for rk3188 devices is freaktab.com.