FatdogArm Alpha4 - 1 November 2013 [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

Re: Cubieboard vs Odroid

#31 Post by jamesbond »

mories wrote:@Jamesbond

In your experience, for a desktop OS as Fatdog which board is better: Cubieboard or ODROID.
I'm thinking of buying one of the new models: Cubieboard 3 (Cubietruck) or ODROID-U3 and your experience as developer is very valuable and meaningful for me.
Odroid-U3 has a quad-core (4-core), Cortex-A9 processor running at 1.7GHz with 2GB of RAM. Cubietruck has a dual-core (2-core) Cortex A7 processor running at 1GHz with 1GB RAM (some models apparently comes with 2GB RAM too). Performance-wise, Odroid will annihilate Cubietruck completely.

But Cubietruck has things that Odroid doesn't have:
a) VGA output
b) SATA connector
c) built-in wireless and bluetooth (on Odroid you need to buy extra)
d) extension pins (on Odroid you need to buy an "USB I/O board")

So whichever one is better depends on what you plan to do with it.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

don570

#32 Post by don570 »

Latest mtpaint 64 bit version - compiled in fatdog630

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81136

Ted Dog

#33 Post by Ted Dog »

thanks don.. but it may be the wrong fatdog...

You had me happy ARM was getting a buzz.

don570

#34 Post by don570 »

OOps wrong fatdog 630 :oops:

can8v

#35 Post by can8v »

Apparently I still need a little help. I am not sure of two things.
1.) Which mk802 I have. Mine has a barcode on the back that says "MK802A-1" Which kernel should I download for that?
2.) I following the installation instructions to the letter, using the two partition option. /dev/sdb1 is FAT32 500MB /dev/sdb2 is EXT4 7.12GB
no errors were generated. I used the mele kernel rather than the mk802ii.
When I put the micro SD into the MK802A-1 and powered up it booted straight to Android (which performs miserably on this device). Should I try the kernel for the MK802ii and if, so do I need to redo the uboot step or just swap the files out? Sorry it took me so long to get back to this project, I don't have consistent access to the device as my wife is generally using it to stream music or video when I have time to work on this.

Ted Dog

#36 Post by Ted Dog »

people people people, we need to band together and work on how to avoided being conned out of our electrical toys by our loved ones..
I have gotten two newer kindle e readers and both ended up being redirected to loved ones. I still have my orginal kindle..
A notebook computer same deal.. :shock:

But to answer the question above does that model allow booting from non Android. By your discription It was not even attempted to boot linux. Skipped all together. when your loader is attempted the unit will recycle boot until card is removed. IE if you got it wrong it still would not boot into android.

pedro

#37 Post by pedro »

can8v wrote:Apparently I still need a little help. I am not sure of two things.
1.) Which mk802 I have. Mine has a barcode on the back that says "MK802A-1" Which kernel should I download for that?
2.) I following the installation instructions to the letter, using the two partition option. /dev/sdb1 is FAT32 500MB /dev/sdb2 is EXT4 7.12GB
When I put the micro SD into the MK802A-1 and powered up it booted straight to Android (which performs miserably on this device). Should I try the kernel for the MK802ii and if, so do I need to redo the uboot step or just swap the files out? Sorry it took me so long to get back to this project, I don't have consistent access to the device as my wife is generally using it to stream music or video when I have time to work on this.
There seem to be at least three different mk802 models:

mk802
mk802-1gb
mk802_A10s

Can you tell us if your model has 512mb or 1gb memory?
Can you take a look inside and check if your mk802 has a A10 or a A10s cpu?
With this i can build you specific script.bin and uboot for your device

Have you tryed booting alpha 3 iso?

can8v

#38 Post by can8v »

pedro wrote:

mk802
mk802-1gb
mk802_A10s

I will see if I can get a look at it tonight when I wife heads off to work. I might not be able to get back to you for a couple days.

01micko

#39 Post by 01micko »

Tiny...

Code: Select all

Date/Time 	Activity 		Location
 - 

1/28/2014  -  Tuesday
10:07 am	
Delivered

QLD AU
7:54 am	
On FedEx vehicle for delivery

BURLEIGH HEADS AU
6:22 am	
At local FedEx facility

BURLEIGH HEADS AU
 - 

1/26/2014  -  Sunday
5:00 pm	
In transit

ALEXANDRIA AU
4:12 pm	
In transit

ALEXANDRIA AU
4:12 pm	
In transit

ALEXANDRIA AU
3:39 pm	
In transit

ALEXANDRIA AU
12:00 am	
In transit

ALEXANDRIA AU
 - 

1/25/2014  -  Saturday
11:53 pm	
In transit

ALEXANDRIA AU

Package available for clearance
11:53 pm	
International shipment release - Import

ALEXANDRIA AU
7:11 am	
In transit

SINGAPORE SG
4:45 am	
In transit

GUANGZHOU CN
3:49 am	
Departed FedEx location

GUANGZHOU CN
12:32 am	
Arrived at FedEx location

GUANGZHOU CN
 - 

1/24/2014  -  Friday
10:11 pm	
In transit

JUNG-GU INCHEON KR
9:21 pm	
In transit

JUNG-GU INCHEON KR
8:15 am	
Left FedEx origin facility

SUWON-SI KR
 - 

1/23/2014  -  Thursday
6:23 pm	
At local FedEx facility

SUWON-SI KR
4:17 pm	
Picked up

SUWON-SI KR

Package received after FedEx cutoff
 - 

1/22/2014  -  Wednesday
7:30 pm	
Shipment information sent to FedEx
Attachments
hehehehe.jpg
(25.2 KiB) Downloaded 1736 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Ted Dog

#40 Post by Ted Dog »

well unpack the toy and snap some glam shots.... :lol:

looks like there will be a delay on MPT and slacko64 development for a few days.

starhawk

#41 Post by starhawk »

I am SO envious. I wish I could afford that sort of thing :(

can8v

#42 Post by can8v »

@01micko
So that explains the halt in progress on the MTP project. Have fun with that new toy.
--Edit--
Scratch that, progress didn't halt, but only slowed momentarily. I don't know how you get it all done. Do you have time for anything else?
Last edited by can8v on Wed 29 Jan 2014, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#43 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: 1/28/2014 - Tuesday
10:07 am
Delivered
So that's why you said "I have until the end of January"... :P
Start compiling with VFPv3-d16 at least :lol:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Jota

#44 Post by Jota »

jamesbond wrote:
Hehehe, what kind of news are you expecting? :) I'm currently building FatdogArm beta with gcc 4.8.1 and glibc-2.18 - if that's what you want to hear. It will take a while though as it is a full rebuilt. (No, I don't just change glibc). Meanwhile, alpha4 is very usable. In fact I'm building the beta using alpha4 :)
Hi!!
Does your kernel for the Allwinner A10 support f2fs ??
Thank you!
J.

can8v

#45 Post by can8v »

pedro wrote:

mk802
mk802-1gb
mk802_A10s

Here is the link to what I bought on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3 ... UTF8&psc=1
It does have a label on the back of the device that says "MK802A-1" I don't think I can get it open without breaking it. I definitely has the 1GB of RAM listed in the specs at Amazon.
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this.

pedro

#46 Post by pedro »

can8v wrote:
pedro wrote:

mk802
mk802-1gb
mk802_A10s

Here is the link to what I bought on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3 ... UTF8&psc=1
It does have a label on the back of the device that says "MK802A-1" I don't think I can get it open without breaking it. I definitely has the 1GB of RAM listed in the specs at Amazon.
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this.
I made a image for mk802_1gb. it comes with mele kernel and mk802_1gb u-boot/script.bin. It's a 1gb image. Just write the image to a sd card and try to see if it works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd0r4vm2gsnf3 ... k8021g.zip

01micko

#47 Post by 01micko »

Exynos rocks!

If you have a spare $100 (and an HDMI telly) get an odroid-u3. I mean it.

This is damn fast... and I mean it makes my athlon 2100+ look like the POS it is.

It was a bit of a challenge to get working because there was some problem with the uboot-u2.bin so I had to overwrite that with a blob from this site.

EDIT: Only a matter of hours after making this post, jamesbond fixed the uboot image and provided new instructions in the README for dd command and I can confirm it works!

Sound,video and all work BUT I had to force module loading (in rc.local) and it didn't work from uEnv.txt, maybe PEBKAC error. I have this:

loadmodules=fuse,ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_defrag_ipv4,nf_nat_ipv4,nf_nat,nf_conntrack,ip_tables,x_tables,bridge,bnep,stp,llc,smsc95xx,mousedev
I translated that to a loop to load on startup then connect to the net manually once I bring up eth0.

I did have res problems on my crappy old aldi HDMI enabled panel TV ("vivid" 21") but managed to add this to uEnv.txt:

video=video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720M@60
Still has some overscan (underscan? Well it's a little too big for the display, that is I can't see all of top, bottom, left, right for only a few pixels, quite usable though).

I tested sound, works through HDMI. Yay! One thing we could not get to work with raspberry pi. I tested an html5 (webm encoded) video and picture is fine, no sound. I think its either a bug or a config miss in seamonkey. For the record, Slacko (32) Firefox-17.11 plays sound with said video, compiled by PV, and he is a stickler for keeping things "free", good on 'im too. Its a shame same can't be said about Samsung, Broadcom and all the other ARM vendors.

Did I mention this is fast?

:lol: :roll:
Attachments
exynos-is_fast.jpg
(108.24 KiB) Downloaded 1385 times

jamesbond

#48 Post by jamesbond »

pedro, thanks for helping.
01micko wrote:it didn't work from uEnv.txt
You need to put the "loadmodules" parameter in "extras=", e.g:

extras=loadmodules=blah blah blah[
... but, there is a limit on the length of the line; if the line gets too long it gets ignored by uboot. Exactly how long - I'm not in the mood of reading uboot source code yet, but I have on occasion exceeded this limit and wondered why it didn't have any effect :)

PS: smsc95xx is compiled as built-in, so you don't need to load it.

For the TV, I used "JustScan". I still get some lost pixels in console, but in Xorg, everything looks intact.

For HTML5 sound - it can be made to work. Let me know how it goes.

Did I mention this is fast?
Yes, you did, this just an example: seamonkey took 15-18 hours to compile on the original Mele; it took a wee over 2 hours on this thing. It is *unbelievably fast* for a chip the size of your thumbnail and runs without fan.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

01micko

#49 Post by 01micko »

jamesbond wrote:

extras=loadmodules=blah blah blah[
... but, there is a limit on the length of the line; if the line gets too long it gets ignored by uboot. Exactly how long - I'm not in the mood of reading uboot source code yet, but I have on occasion exceeded this limit and wondered why it didn't have any effect :)
Hmmm.. maybe I should have figured that (re extra=) :oops:
jamesbond wrote:PS: smsc95xx is compiled as built-in, so you don't need to load it.
Ok :) .. I was just going off a list I made in ubuntu.. may have missed some. However it does seem like module loading is somewhat hampered.
jamesbond wrote:For the TV, I used "JustScan". I still get some lost pixels in console, but in Xorg, everything looks intact.
Yeah.. works with Sammy.. Aldi(='vivid' model)? Nah!
jamesbond wrote:For HTML5 sound - it can be made to work. Let me know how it goes.
Yes..! Works. Apologies for presumptuous crap in previous post.

jamesbond wrote:
01micko wrote:Did I mention this is fast?
Yes, you did, this just an example: seamonkey took 15-18 hours to compile on the original Mele; it took a wee over 2 hours on this thing. It is *unbelievably fast* for a chip the size of your thumbnail and runs without fan.
It sure is impressive!

HTML5 is very impressive, as long as you don't go fullscreen. (YouTube etc). This seems to be a limitation of the video driver. Not much can be done there.

I plugged my ucv webcam and after installing mplayer seems to work ok, a bit of latency. Dunno how to work it Xine. Which brings me to a bug. Xine works perfectly playing many formats, but as soon as you go fullscreen it crashes.

root:~/smb/Video/Cloud_Babies# xine "Cloudbabies Sun's Very Own Sunset.mp4"
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.7.
(c) 2000-2010 The xine Team.  ##### PRESSED "F"
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  130 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_ShmPutImage)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x1a002ff
  Serial number of failed request:  177
  Current serial number in output stream:  178
root:~/smb/Video/Cloud_Babies# 
root:~/smb/Video/Cloud_Babies# xine -fs "Cloudbabies Sun's Very Own Sunset.mp4"
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.7.
(c) 2000-2010 The xine Team.
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  130 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_ShmPutImage)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x1a002ff
  Serial number of failed request:  11
  Current serial number in output stream:  12
Note the "PRESSED "F"" comment.. mine.

Mplayer is just no good. Too slow. Doesn't crash (even full screen) but can't keep up. Explains my latent webcam result.

Now.. ffplay is perfect! (Yes, I am playing over network.. shouldn't matter). once upon a time I worked out how to play a DVD in ffplay.. but there is so much variation in the proprietary crap they put on DVDs that that avenue is definitely not worth pursuing.

This command works perfectly for webcam:

root:~# ffplay -f video4linux2  -s 640x480 -i /dev/video10
ffplay version 1.2.1 Copyright (c) 2003-2013 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Aug 13 2013 00:13:55 with gcc 4.6.2 (GCC)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --disable-static --enable-shared --enable-x11grab --enable-libfaac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libxvid --enable-openssl --disable-debug --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libx264
  libavutil      52. 18.100 / 52. 18.100
  libavcodec     54. 92.100 / 54. 92.100
  libavformat    54. 63.104 / 54. 63.104
  libavdevice    54.  3.103 / 54.  3.103
  libavfilter     3. 42.103 /  3. 42.103
  libswscale      2.  2.100 /  2.  2.100
  libswresample   0. 17.102 /  0. 17.102
  libpostproc    52.  2.100 / 52.  2.100
Option -s is deprecated, use -video_size.
[video4linux2,v4l2 @ 0x9e4f0] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Input #0, video4linux2,v4l2, from '/dev/video10':
  Duration: N/A, start: 934.200073, bitrate: 147456 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Video: rawvideo (YUY2 / 0x32595559), yuyv422, 640x480, 147456 kb/s, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 1000k tbn, 1000k tbc
 957.78 A-V:  0.000 fd=   0 aq=    0KB vq=    0KB sq=    0B f=0/0    
root:~# q
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

Jota

#50 Post by Jota »

Jota wrote:
jamesbond wrote:
Hehehe, what kind of news are you expecting? :) I'm currently building FatdogArm beta with gcc 4.8.1 and glibc-2.18 - if that's what you want to hear. It will take a while though as it is a full rebuilt. (No, I don't just change glibc). Meanwhile, alpha4 is very usable. In fact I'm building the beta using alpha4 :)

Hi!!
Does your kernel for the Allwinner A10 support f2fs ??
Thank you!
J.

WELL...
I THOUGHT THIS WAS A FAIRLY SIMPLE AND EASY QUESTION...
BUT IF NOT EVEN 007 IS ABLE TO ANSWER IT, I JUST HAVE TO APOLOGIZE FOR ASKING....
PROBABLY I AM TOO DUMB!
THANK YOU ALL !!