Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 17:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Any way to disable "Quick Setup" menu every boot?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
arseh2

PostPosted: Wed 30 Oct 2013, 10:42    Post_subject:  Any way to disable "Quick Setup" menu every boot?
Sub_title: Puppy 5.6 multisession CD

I disabled "shudtown save" by editing shutdown file. I removed "save" icon from the desktop.

Everything is fine with my setup - although I have one disturbance, that is the "quick setup" menu appearing on every boot.

When I saved my first session, it did not appear in the next boot.

After I removed "shutdown save" and "save icon", the "quick setup" menu started to appear again.

Is there any practical way to remove it from the start, while it can remain as a program that can be used for times that it can be needed?

Or - I can delete the quickstart file from the system.

If there is no way I can disable it from launching at start and no way to get rid of it - no problems.

I am just trying to prevent that I can click mistakenly for an insecure setup when I can not realize - or I will have to reboot if I realize.

Just trying to make the almost perfect live CD for my usage.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 30 Oct 2013, 10:54    Post_subject:  

Which version of Puppy, and is this is a multisession CD you've made by saving the first session to the CD?
arseh2

PostPosted: Wed 30 Oct 2013, 11:41    Post_subject:  

Yes - Puppy 5.6. Multisession. I do not want it to be multisession actually. I will finalize the DVD after completing the setup no to save anything. I had to save one time as a test. Or did I have to remaster without making the first save? Any suggestion?

I just do not want to see the quick setup in every boot.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 30 Oct 2013, 13:38    Post_subject:  

I don't know about remastering from a multisession. I've never tried it.

As for your question about disabling the "Quick Setup" menu, I don't know the answer to that either. Embarassed

If you are making a custom Puppy just for your own use, I'd stick with multisession. I've saved settings for one computer on a multisession Puppy, then booted that multisession disk in a different computer. If I remember right, when Puppy realized that the settings were wrong for the computer it found itself in, it offered the "Setup" menu again. Try it.

For what it's worth, it's a good idea to use a CD-RW (or better yet, a rewritable DVD) for experimenting with multisession and remastering Puppy. Multisession Puppy runs fine from a rewritable CD or DVD, and Puppy has several ways to blank and reuse a rewritable disk. I'm not sure about a CD, but both Burniso2cd and Pburn will burn a rewritable DVD without having to blank it first. Smile

Edited_time_total
arseh2

PostPosted: Wed 30 Oct 2013, 13:41    Post_subject:  

Thanks for taking time to reply, at least.
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 05:01    Post_subject: Re: Any way to disable "Quick Setup" menu every boot?
Sub_title: Puppy 5.6 multisession CD

arseh2 wrote:
Is there any practical way to remove it from the start, while it can remain as a program that can be used for times that it can be needed?
There are many ways, but all involve customizing of the main puppy sfs file

The easiest way I can think of:
Expand the main Puppy file (unsquashfs puppy_whatever.sfs) . In the resulting squashfs-root directory go to squashfs-root /var/local and create an empty file delayedrun_firstboot_flag. Repack the main file with mksquashfs squashfs-root puppy_whatever.sfs. That's it.

This will suppress the quicksetup and the welcome screen after booting.

Here is what happens at startup (I hope I get this right):

After starting X Puppy runs /root/.xinitrc.
.xinitrc calls /usr/sbin/delayedrun
If the file /var/local/delayedrun_firstboot_flag does not exist, then delayedrun calls quicksetup and welcome1stboot and then creates /var/local/delayedrun_firstboot_flag. This file will be saved when you create a savefile, so you will no be bothered by quicksetup when you use a savefile.
After delayedrun exits, program flow returns to .xinitrc and finally .xinitrc calls the window manager.
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 07:16    Post_subject:  

Or, if you prefer the comfort of doing things in GUI, do a search on this forum for "EditSFS-2.1.5.pet".
arseh2

PostPosted: Wed 06 Nov 2013, 07:40    Post_subject:  

Thanks for the details, Mochimophel.

Anikin - A GUI would be better. I will be trying both.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum