Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 21:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Thunder bird fills personal storage file
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
BlueGum

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct 2013, 21:09    Post subject:  Thunder bird fills personal storage file
Subject description: problems with personal file getting too big.

Hi

I am running slacko 5.5XL. I installed Thunderbird but by the time it synched my mail folders the ImapMail Directory was about 4231 MB and after several restarts the personal storage is 6.9G and free space 2.1G.

Reading the forum, I realise that:

1. I should somehow have directed Thunderbird to create this directory at the outset on sda6 (which I'm using). Can I just move it there now and put a symlink ?

2. slackosave.2fs is now TOO big. I know I can't downsize so after doing operation 1. I should create a new slackosave.2fs of less than 2GB

Is this correct? Comments please.
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct 2013, 03:07    Post subject: Re: Thunder bird fills personal storage file
Subject description: problems with personal file getting too big.

BlueGum wrote:
Hi

I am running slacko 5.5XL. I installed Thunderbird but by the time it synched my mail folders the ImapMail Directory was about 4231 MB and after several restarts the personal storage is 6.9G and free space 2.1G.

Reading the forum, I realise that:

1. I should somehow have directed Thunderbird to create this directory at the outset on sda6 (which I'm using). Can I just move it there now and put a symlink ?

2. slackosave.2fs is now TOO big. I know I can't downsize so after doing operation 1. I should create a new slackosave.2fs of less than 2GB

Is this correct? Comments please.

You can move it and then symlink back to /root/.thunderbird

however

if you start again with a fresh savefile, you will need to run thunderbird once to create new files and then do the symlink afterwards, adjusting the names to match.

Cheers
peebee
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   14.69 KB
 Viewed   299 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct 2013, 04:59    Post subject:  

See THIS post.

I believe it cannot be done simply by symlinking. Sad
I tried that and it failed.
The method linked by me above is in use by me on several Puppies.
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct 2013, 08:29    Post subject:  

thunderbirds profile.ini can point to an external folder...I use that to share the profile with windows.

Its a bit of a concern that imap folders are getting so large ...I use it to keep the profile to a few MB for some installs..... it seems like attachments are being downloaded (only supposed to happen when you open a specific email) so check out the account settings / tbird config.

mike
BlueGum

PostPosted: Tue 29 Oct 2013, 23:33    Post subject: Symlink seems to work for Thunderbird
Subject description: moving ImapMail directory to /mnt/home frees personal storage file space

Well, it's early days, but moving the ImapMail folder to /mnt/home seems to have worked.

I now have 6.2GB free from 6.9GB personal storage. Not sure how to go about creating a smaller (say 1 -2GB) slackosave.2fs without losing settings etc

I should now move all documents etc to /mnt/home so that if the current slackosave.2fs becomes corrupted at least I can start again without having lost anything.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Would still recommend puppy though.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 30 Oct 2013, 07:13    Post subject:  

me saves never got past 256mb when i used them.... these big ones are scary .... Very Happy

Make the save smaller?... I suppose its a case of pfix=ram at boot...make a new smaller one.... restart pfix=ram and click on the old and new one and copy the files.

If all you have are settings and added programs its easier to start over and forget the existing save.

mike

ps why are you imap folders so big?I have 7 imap accounts on this machine (only one machine has pop to download as a backup) and the imap folders come to a total of 321kb ...someone else had huge profile problems an an answer never came so I am curious.
sketchman

PostPosted: Wed 30 Oct 2013, 16:34    Post subject:  

You can symlink the whole ".thunderbird" folder.

You then do not have to do a dry run with tbird and then link individual folders and rename stuff.

Symlink the whole thing to a location that won't get touched by OS reinstalls, etc, and then you just re-link it whenever you need to, reinstall tbird, and it's done. Should be noted that I ran into issues when I did this with Windows 7 and Puppy. Windows tbird didn't like the Linux folder, so I ended up having to copy the mail files/folder over, but between Pups, I have never had this issue. I never have to do anything but make a new symlink for a new Puppy/Thunderbird install.

BlueGum

PostPosted: Thu 31 Oct 2013, 03:26    Post subject:  

Symlink whole .thunderbird folder. I'll give that a try thanks!

I'll also do a reinstall of Puppy. I agree that's probably the easiest way to resize personal storage.

My Imap folders were so big because I took gmail at its word (15GB storage) and just kept emails going back many years. Not an issue till I started using Puppy. But recently I have deleted 1000's of emails trying to get past the filling up of personal storage problem. Pity to lose all that history.
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 31 Oct 2013, 06:22    Post subject:  

Quote:
Not an issue till I started using Puppy.

I am just wondering if there is some default setting /change in thunderbird to affect imap folders in such a dramatic way. my 300k ish imap folders represent about 200MB of emails. I still use thunderbird 2 as there seems to be no reason to update (actually 1.5 was happy to) so was looking at some insight into what was happening for anyone like yourself with space problems and using newer version.

thanks for the reply

mike
peterr2

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:48    Post subject: slakosave.2fs  

Hello
I found this in my Win 8.1.
Can I remove it safely?
I only use a Zorin pen drive now and then so if they are related tell me please so I can stop using the Zorin pendrive.
Thank you
Peter
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun 2014, 13:25    Post subject:  

If you mean slackosave and you are not using slacko then yes remove it...its just a file

mike
peterr2

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun 2014, 15:03    Post subject: slacko file  

Thank you, MikeB.

I am also using Zorin via a pendrive with persistence so i can assume that file is in my machine also. How can I find it?
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun 2014, 15:30    Post subject:  

Hmm never used Zorin so no clues on that one....perhaps its on the pen drive

mike
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: