How to put Precise to sleep, to close the lid on my laptop?

Booting, installing, newbie
puppyrodney

How to put Precise to sleep, to close the lid on my laptop?

#1 Post by puppyrodney »

I have an HP mini running off a USB Precise Puppy. I would like to be able to put it to sleep and close the lid between uses. How can I accomplish this?

Hogweed

#2 Post by Hogweed »

If you are willing to switch puppies upup raring 3.9.9.2 ( http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87374 ) will do this. Otherwise try searching the forum for "acpid precise sleep" and "laptop tool"

The power handling code is in the kernel of precise puppy but not with full front end support. Upup Raring has more user-friendly support and is configured to sleep on lid close by default.

I've never tried it with Precise but it certainly should be possible to duplicate what raring puppy does. Other puppies have also implemented this feature.

Btw, don't be put off by the 3.9.9.2 version number. It's built on top of 3.9.9 Linux kernel and Ubuntu Raring binaries, has a non-PAE kernel and is currently running perfectly on an old Celeron M 1.4 Ghz laptop on which I'm typing this.
Last edited by Hogweed on Tue 05 Nov 2013, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

puppyrodney

raring puppy

#3 Post by puppyrodney »

I noticed Raring is listed as version 3.9, whereas Precise is listed as 5.7. Does that mean Raring is a much older version?

Hogweed

Re: raring puppy

#4 Post by Hogweed »

puppyrodney wrote:I noticed Raring is listed as version 3.9, whereas Precise is listed as 5.7. Does that mean Raring is a much older version?
Just edited my previous post to make that clear but I was Just too late. Here's your answer.

Btw, don't be put off by the 3.9.9.2 version number. It's built on top of 3.9.9 Linux kernel and Ubuntu Raring binaries, has a non-PAE kernel and is currently running perfectly on an old Celeron M 1.4 Ghz laptop on which I'm typing this.

I nearly missed this Puppy as well because of the 3.9 version. You really have to know that Ubuntu Raring is V13.04. Ubuntu Precise is V12.04 to work it out. So Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 is based on newer code (both kernel (for the non-PAE) and application) than Precise 5.7.
For the PAE enabled version the kernel in Precise 5.7.1 is 3.9.11 so it is actually about a couple of weeks newer (both are from July 2013).

Confusing isn't it.

puppyrodney

raring puppy

#5 Post by puppyrodney »

Thanks, Raring Puppy worked out great.

By the way, is there anyway to get the right touch pad button to work like a right button click?

Hogweed

Re: raring puppy

#6 Post by Hogweed »

puppyrodney wrote:Thanks, Raring Puppy worked out great.

By the way, is there anyway to get the right touch pad button to work like a right button click?
Menu=>Desktop>flSynclient allows you to configure a Synaptics touchpad. Normally though I'd expect the right click to work by default.

I tend to use two finger tap for right click on the main pad as its faster once you get used to it but my right click button definitely works. You can also use right click by tapping on a corner of the pad (default bottom right).