How to find executables for files?

Booting, installing, newbie
weevilpup

How to find executables for files?

#1 Post by weevilpup »

If I attempt to open a file without an associated application I am asked to browse to the appropriate executable. I have learned to find these in /usr/bin, however I can't always find them. I have three questions related to this dilemma:

1. Where is the exectuable for pupctorrent? There is a file in /usr/bin by the name of ctorrent, although it does not run the program.

2. Why are so many common filetypes without association from within SeaMonkey? SM doesn't even know what to do with a bmp.

3. In general, how can find out where the executables are for any application? Icons on the desktop give a "show location" function when right-clicked, but not so with links in the menu.

Regards,
weevil

L18L

Re: Finding executables

#2 Post by L18L »

weevilpup wrote:If I attempt to open a file without an associated application I am asked to browse to the appropriate executable. I have learned to find these in /usr/bin, however I can't always find them.
If they are not in /usr/bin then they are elsewhere.
Look into:

Code: Select all

echo $PATH
That is where the operating system will find them (or not if they are elsewhere.)
weevilpup wrote:I have three questions related to this dilemma:

1. Where is the exectuable for pupctorrent? There is a file in /usr/bin by the name of ctorrent, although it does not run the program.

defaulttexteditor /usr/bin/pupctorrent
should answer your question. I cannot because

# pupctorrent
bash: pupctorrent: command not found
# 
end (one question per thread)

Galbi

#3 Post by Galbi »

If you type the executable name incomplete, and then hit the TAB key, i.e:.

#pupctorre[TAB]

the bash completion system will complete the name if the program it's installed and found in the path.

Then with:

#which pupctorrent

will show something like

#/usr/bin/pupctorrent

that's where the executable is.

weevilpup

#4 Post by weevilpup »

Thanks for the help. The executable path is

/usr/sbin/pctorrent

After learning about whereis command and failing to find pupctorrent, I knew to try pctorrent because that is how it is labeled in the GUI menu.

If I hadn't thought to try pctorrent, how would I have found the name of the executable? Is there a way to do this through the GUI? Is there a database online? What do you do if you don't know the executable filename?