How to disable mounting of SATA / IDE drives?

Booting, installing, newbie
Sky Aisling

How to disable mounting of SATA / IDE drives

#31 Post by Sky Aisling »

marada2 writes:
I don't want a multisession CD. I just want build a puppy exactly the way I want it and then burn it to a CD. I don't plan on tweaking anything once I get things the way I want them. I am definitely not interested in multisession. The CD will purely be used as a security CD for internet banking, TOR and various encryption purposes. I definately don't want multisession or anything saved anywhere. The whole reason I am attracted to a live distro like puppy is the fact that I can boot it into ram and never have anything saved. This is an excellent security feature.
Hello marada2,

You write you will only use the Live CD to access bank account, TOR and various encryption purposes.
I'm no expert in Puppy, but, if that is all you are going to use it for, then your simple solution of using an older Pup that doesn't recognize SATA drives seems feasible.
Just because a Puppy is old doesn't mean it won't function well. Updated drivers can often be found on this forum. In some ways an older Pup might give you more security. Not many hackers are going to bother with 4.2.1, for example. lol!

Am I off base on this one, kennel mates?

Also, marada2 it would help if you posted the make, model and some basic specs about the machine you are using.

You write:
What I am trying to achieve is to prevent access to the internal SATA drives.
I understand your concern that code could be left on the SATA or IDE drives.

Sylvander

#32 Post by Sylvander »

On my 2012 desktop hardware...
"lupu-5.2.8.6-20131004.iso" would boot OK if made into a frugal install on a Flash Drive...
[Wouldn't boot (in a SATA optical drive) if made into a "live" optical disk.]
But it WOULD NOT display on the Puppy desktop, icons for SATA drives [i.e. no display of internal HDD's or optical drives].
Due to certain drivers not included in the kernel.
See THIS POST where I say:
"c. There are no icons on the desktop for the partition-file-systems on my SATA->[internal HDD, or optical drive]."

This was fixed in "Lupusuper-5.2.8.6-20131012.iso".
You don't want to use the fixed version I guess.

marada2

#33 Post by marada2 »

Many thanks for this guys. I will definitely look into the old kernel idea and do a few experiments when I learn a little more about puppy. Many thanks

Sky Aisling

How to disable mounting of SATA / IDE drives

#34 Post by Sky Aisling »

marada2
Another possible way to approach the situation is to get an external SATA drive.
Set up your Puppy on the external drive, access your banking sources, then unplug the external drive and lock it away in a drawer from the swarm of cyber nurds that live in your house. :)
That way you could continue to tweek and enjoy a Puppy.

rufwoof

#35 Post by rufwoof »

Rename /bin/mount to something else and write a script /bin/mount that tests whether the request is valid (USB) or not (ATA) and calls the renamed mount if OK or pupmessage's a reply if not.

Easily circumvented - but a deterrent.