X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

#1 Post by mistfire »

It is a only a remastered X-Slacko (using build kit and customized remaster script) with some tweaks and revisions of puppy's core programs. This puplet is very unique compared to other puplets.

This is just for plaything. Also it can be used as rescue disc for other OSes.

Features:
* With zram (It can run in 256Mb of RAM)
* Improved puppy scripts and GUI layouts
* Small screen friendly (up to 640x480 screen resolution)
* Works nicely on netbooks and baby laptops (such as Asus EeePC, OLPC, and Intel Classmate)
* Builtin ADB and fastboot command for troubleshooting android devices
* Office applications removed (to reduce puplet size)
* Midori browser instead of Firefox (to reduce puplet size)
* Some large files removed (to reduce puplet size)
* MS-Window like interface (using Redmond-Delta theme) for more familiarity and Cheser for Iconset.
* Wide repos to choose from (other repos will be available if update PPM database is run)
* With UEFI USB installer.
* With Network boot server and network boot tools
* Full legacy PUP package (old puppy package format) support.
* With MTP client.
* Fax support
* Tape backup support
* With window manager switcher
* Non-ACPI/Non-APM friendly
* IrDA and Bluetooth connectivity
* USB tethering support
* Easier package repo management
* Can boot in UEFI (32-bit and 64-bit) and Secure Boot (install the included signed key first).
* Can remaster hybrid iso.
* User friendly initrd
* With Mounted image manager
* Wine ready. Just install wine and double-click the windows executable file to run Windows applications. It also works on MSI Installers, BAT, CMD, COM, VBS, and REG file.
* Wider package support. Aside from PET, Debian (DEB), Red Hat (RPM), Slackware (TXZ, TGZ), and Arch Linux packages (PKG.TXZ).
It also accepts the following packages (natively installed, no more package conversion needed. This allows to utilize almost all available linux packages):
->Slitaz (*.tazpkg)
->Tiny Core (*.tcz,*.tce,*.tcel,*.tcem)
->Pardus (*.pisi)
->Alpine Linux (*.apk)
->Slax (*.sb)
->OpenWRT (*.ipk)
->0linux (*.spack)
->Void linux (*.xbps)
->Damn Small Linux (*.dsl)
->Puppyrus (*.pfs)
->Nutyx (*.cards.tar.xz)
->Solus (*.eopkg)
->Stampede (*.slp)
->Porteus (*.xzm,*.lzm)
->Gentoo precompiled package (*.xpak)
->Paldo Linux
->Venom Linux (*.spkg.txz)

(WARNING: Installing old linux packages might cause security risk. Install at your own risk)

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TH23H ... wDK1Mkjix1
MD5 Checksum: 101c8a6bb656169e7a581e92a8529838

Language Pack/Paquete de idioma/Paquet de langues/Sprachpaket/言語パック/语言包/حزمة لغات/언어 팩 is now available (supports more than 20 languages depending on supported locale on app)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J9F0E ... 6czNwK9aAp

For DEVX SFS download here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... -6.3.2/32/

Need more drivers? Use this fdrv file (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... lNXVlE1VjQ) or use lxpupsc or other puplet FDRV files

NOTE:
* Use under your own risk (although it works nicely).
* Installing other linux package format is under the user's responsibility.
* The language of this puplet is english only. Just install language pack to get your preferrable language.
* Versioning of this puplet was the same as x-slacko but with revision number.

Build your own x-slacko slim? Goto https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lZjFC ... Cymyf6lLcp

Old versions: http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_xslacko-slim
NOTE: If the version of X-Slacko Slim has "SE" at the end (for example x-slacko-slim-4.2r41se). It means that the file was for testing purpose only. Not advisable for general use

PIECE OF ADVISE
Upon booting of X-Slacko Slim, if X Window failed to start and show this message:

Code: Select all

VESA bios extensions not detected
Here is the solution (it may work depending on the computer):
1. Type xorgwizard
2. On main menu select "Load xorg.conf file"
3. Then select "xorg.conf-uefi-failsafe"
4. After you loaded it then select "Start X Window" on xorgwizard main menu.
Attachments
screenshot1.jpg
(67.77 KiB) Downloaded 21200 times
Last edited by mistfire on Fri 21 Feb 2020, 10:17, edited 211 times in total.
Simple, Magaan, at Mabilis (Simple, Light, and Fast)

Sailor Enceladus

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I'm in it now. I like the default font and look, very clear, and Opera 12.16 ain't too shabby here @800MHz.

mistfire

#3 Post by mistfire »

I try to find a web browser that is lightweight, low-memory footprint but html5 compliant for a long time. But still no luck.

Pelo

180 MB is Slim

#4 Post by Pelo »

180 MB is Slim, Thin was 110MB but with office apps and a browser. English is not easy.
XFmedia will run perfectly, however removng Mplayer has to be studied..; carefully :!:
Check for keys to use with XFmedia :!: before playing the DVD, (pause, stop, chapters and so on... )
Attachments
TourDeFrance.jpg
Tests on medion P7624 CD TdF and DVD World cup 1998
(28.79 KiB) Downloaded 22435 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 10:43, edited 10 times in total.

mistfire

#5 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo I already remove unnecessary apps. Can help you help me to trim down further without comprising x-slacko. Do you have an idea to remove the scsi, dialup, and modem drivers. What are the system applications can be remove safely?

Pelo

install treesize

#6 Post by Pelo »

install treesize, that will help you a lot.
Better would be to remove 3D, bluetooth, print stuff.
Launch first GDmap for visual check, available in all puppies.
Some apps are used only by Puppy builders, users don't need them.
Gparted is one of them. If it is the first time that a newbie uses Puppy Linux, he should have to install it. But newbies are not a lot, here.
"* Equipped with Photorec, chntpw, and Testdisk " To be installed if needed. You don't need every day to rescue your system :) Heureusement
xfce4-10-fr.iso: 139 M is my LTS Slacko XFCE . Who can find a XFCE slimmer, thinner.. smaller ?
Attachments
Slim version auguste 2016.jpg
Version auguste
(63.26 KiB) Downloaded 22902 times
treesize-0.54.1.pet
(24.18 KiB) Downloaded 1347 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 15:30, edited 4 times in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#7 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mistfire wrote:@Pelo I already remove unnecessary apps. Can help you help me to trim down further without comprising x-slacko. Do you have an idea to remove the scsi, dialup, and modem drivers. What are the system applications can be remove safely?
edit: Nevermind. You said you already removed unnecessary apps so I won't post my list of apps I don't use in your iso (for Pelo's sanity too) :lol: All of them together probably would only saved about 10-15MB anyway...

mistfire

#8 Post by mistfire »

@Sailor Enceladus I currently deleting unecessary drivers. Some Xorg DRI has large file size so I removed it and decluttering some files. Which currently saves 50Mb of image size. Anyway I'm just sharing my ISO to show my concept. It is up to you to use it or not. This ISO actually working nicely.

Sailor Enceladus

#9 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

It's a good concept. I'll redownload and test when the new version is ready.

mistfire

#10 Post by mistfire »

@Sailor Enceladus here is my latest revision. Some fixes on xfce settings and more debloating (such as removing large DRI and some scsi drivers)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7eof7 ... 062916.iso

I noticed that Opera occupies 20Mb+ disk space. Is there any lightweight browser that occupies below 20Mb disk space but HTML5 compliant (with html5 video playback) and with SSL?

Pelo

Good job !

#11 Post by Pelo »

Good job ! iso dowloading
Here i am with opera, wireless connected, no trouble until now. I will check you tube.
Opera is not my cup of tea, but enjoy lot of people. Palemoon, Slimboat or QtWeb are my usual ones. But your Puppy Is not mine !
I taste (with an 'a') it, why ?
Because Puppies are provided now with libraries that most of us don't need.
I probably will need more to type a letter than to play a 3D DVD.
In spite of never type letters :) If needed i write them, by hand, with a pen.
What i need is Gnumeric. Spreadsheets were always my usual assistant, at office, and at home too (gnumeric) . Japanase provide an SFS for 7MB (abiword, Gnumeric). I just load it on the fly... permanently.
PPM is working well...
Abiword... was allready installed :!: because not removed well :)
Attachments
Parole.jpg
Themes added by me, nice can keep Puppy Slim !
(142.35 KiB) Downloaded 22487 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 09:05, edited 7 times in total.

mistfire

#12 Post by mistfire »

Thats okay @Pelo. I have to deal with Opera browser because it does not play html5 video and also it is still big (20Mb). I would try slitaz version of midori. I have tazpkg2pet tool.

Sailor Enceladus

#13 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Thanks mistfire. Your 062916.iso is still working well for me. :)
Pelo wrote:Opera is not my cup of tea, but enjoy lot of people. Palemoon, Slimboat or QtWeb are my usual ones. But your Puppy Is not mine !
Yes, I like SlimBoat slightly more than Opera 12.16 too. To get the buttons on Facebook to work with Opera I had to use m.facebook.com instead. Palemoon is ok but 30MB squashed I think, and has that silly start page that takes up 50% CPU which should probably be axed for low-end machine. I haven't tried QtWeb but since you put it in the same category I'll give it a shot.

Pelo

You Tube : no trouble in what i use : music , video.

#14 Post by Pelo »

A slim ISO is not only Slim for download, but still Slim at use by your users.
Slimboat, Sailor Enceladus , is really a good choice, and it allows some apps QT running free of charge (ASRI choice for his last Puppy -France). As you say, Facebook is one web site to test, for People as me (to keep in relation with the world..).Slimboat and Palemoon let you going Facebooking Free. No pass to get from your parents :)
Slimboat 54 is 21MB as SFS. and ift will make your Puppy different from The Others
a Charming Puppy :!: Caution : if you are successful, you will have to help your newbies
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 12 Feb 2017, 10:39, edited 9 times in total.

Pelo

tree size : i don't see anything more to delete.

#15 Post by Pelo »

tree size : i don't see anything more to delete.
About Cpu for old computers : i have an Acer aspire 1640 born 2004 (second hand) The best choice is old Puppies, in my opinion. Old browser too
I use Dpup Exprimo, Saluki 013, and Slako 533 thin, plus Toutou 436 because i am french.

festus

#16 Post by festus »

Thanks for this release.

Will you, please, post the MD5 sum for xslacko-slim-062916.iso ?

festus :wink:

escucha

#17 Post by escucha »

md5sum from the iso (now working 32bit)

1b101f71bca52940d4b3bb685f2636e4 xslacko-slim-062916.iso

Asking: Any slim version in 64bit?

Nice wondows remember look ;-)

Sailor Enceladus

#18 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mistfire, have you considered using a zdrv? That way people can take out unneeded drivers with zdrv_cutter.

festus

#19 Post by festus »

escucha wrote:md5sum from the iso (now working 32bit)

1b101f71bca52940d4b3bb685f2636e4 xslacko-slim-062916.iso
Thanks for the info.

festus :D

mistfire

#20 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo which is better media player xfmedia or mplayer? Does xfmedia (including dependencies) occupies less space than mplayer?