LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Senza Vega

wbar

#91 Post by Senza Vega »

hum..
I installed the .pet, but wbar isn't here.
restart X but not here yet.
:?:

peebee

Re: wbar

#92 Post by peebee »

Senza Vega wrote:hum..
I installed the .pet, but wbar isn't here.
restart X but not here yet.
:?:
Hi Senza
Not really sure what to advise as it works OK for me....I'm at work now so will test when I get home tonight - which 'flavour' of LxPup13.11 are you running?
Have you tried running wbar from a terminal?
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Senza Vega

#93 Post by Senza Vega »

Hello,

the flavour is LxPup-13.11-s-pae.

I tried to lauch from a terminal and it return :

Code: Select all

wbar: command not found
[/quote]

peebee

#94 Post by peebee »

Senza Vega wrote:Hello,

the flavour is LxPup-13.11-s-pae.

I tried to lauch from a terminal and it return :

Code: Select all

wbar: command not found
[/quote]

Hi Senza

Just tested - installed both from the menu via Desktop - Change Appearance - Options and also by clicking direct on the pet in /opt/lxpup-xtras

Both seemed to work fine for me and survived after a reboot and savefile creation.

Are you running as a frugal install with a reasonable size savefile created?

If wbar is not found in a terminal then that sounds as though the pet is not installed.....did you install the pet before or after savefile creation?

All I can suggest is that you install the pet again.

Sorry you are having problems and that I can't replicate them.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(67.74 KiB) Downloaded 1096 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Senza Vega

#95 Post by Senza Vega »

Hello peebee,
don't be sorry, your work is very appreciate !
So, I tried to reinstall wbar by the menu via Desktop - Change Appearance - Options", and it works now !

don't know how, very thanks for your help !

Volhout

NETWORK icon in tray

#96 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

I use LXPUP on a laptop that typically connects via wireless.
There is an ethernet port, but it is not used.

I see following strange behaviour.

- frugall install, WIFI via Frisbee, installed on my home wireless (works fine).

When I move the laptop to another location, where wifi cannot connect (no pre-installed), I see following:

- CPU is 50% busy with the network icon in the tray (LxTask)..
- I cannot open the wireless by rightclicking on the icon.
- The "cont connect" icon is also not visible in the tray, only the background.
- I can open wireless via the control panel, network tab.

Is there any reason for this behaviour ?

Volhout

P.S. this is 13.10, not 13.11

peebee

Re: NETWORK icon in tray

#97 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Dear PeeBee,

I use LXPUP on a laptop that typically connects via wireless.
There is an ethernet port, but it is not used.

I see following strange behaviour.

- frugall install, WIFI via Frisbee, installed on my home wireless (works fine).

When I move the laptop to another location, where wifi cannot connect (no pre-installed), I see following:

- CPU is 50% busy with the network icon in the tray (LxTask)..
- I cannot open the wireless by rightclicking on the icon.
- The "cont connect" icon is also not visible in the tray, only the background.
- I can open wireless via the control panel, network tab.

Is there any reason for this behaviour ?

Volhout

P.S. this is 13.10, not 13.11
Hi Volhout

That sounds like a Slacko or Frisbee question rather than anything specific to LxPup....

Have you tried to see how Slacko5.6 behaves? If you could that would narrow it down as to whether it was an LxPup specific problem.

I will have access to a wifi away from home tomorrow so I'll see if I can replicate your problem as I understand it.

Regards
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Tue 26 Nov 2013, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ray MK

#98 Post by Ray MK »

# uname -a
Linux e732 3.9.9-upup #1 SMP Fri Jul 12 21:50:30 EEST 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1804584 1161244 643340 0 316144
-/+ buffers: 845100 959484
Swap: 0 0 0
# uptime
13:34:58 up 9 min, load average: 0.16, 0.16, 0.12
#

What a very nicely presented puppy - all seems good OOTB - no nasties yet.
A keeper - many thanks for this - much appreciated - Very best regards - Ray.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

peebee

#99 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:I see following strange behaviour.
Hi Volhout

I have been able to replicate your observed behaviour of network_tray in LxPup when you reboot out of range of an established wifi connection.

You are right that network_tray does go into some sort of loop when lxpanel is restarted.

I can also confirm that this behaviour is not shown by Slacko5.6

I'm afraid I don't know the reason for the strange behaviour but I can tell you how to cure it:
edit the line in root/Startup/1-lxde-startup.sh to comment out lxpanelctl restart - #lxpanelctl restart

do a "Restart WM" from the session control menu
You can then establish the new wifi connection.

Hopefully (not yet tested) you can re-edit 1-lxde-startup.sh to remove the comment once both connections are defined - or leave it commented out if you are going to be moving away from configured wifi signals a lot.

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee

PsyBaba

Is there a non-pae version of LxPrecise-13.11 ?

#100 Post by PsyBaba »

Hello, I'm testing out this great pupplet... for me it surely is the best puppy till now.

I can't find all the apps I need to use in slacko repositories... I was using ubuntu flavoured puppies before and there were simply more apps available.
But as I don't have a pae pc, I was searching for a non-pae verson of LxPrecise, but couldn't find any.
Why did you make the slacko flavoured Lxpup in both pae and non-pae versions, and made the LxPrecise flavour with pae kernel only?

peebee

Re: Is there a non-pae version of LxPrecise-13.11 ?

#101 Post by peebee »

PsyBaba wrote:I was searching for a non-pae verson of LxPrecise, but couldn't find any.
Why did you make the slacko flavoured Lxpup in both pae and non-pae versions, and made the LxPrecise flavour with pae kernel only?
Hi PsyBaba

No good reason other than the amount of work involved...and then the future support needed to maintain multiple isos.

I suppose logically I should offer the full set - so I'll see what I can do - in the meantime you can make your own version by adding LxPup-by-SFS to Precise-Retro. (or you could try LxRaring which is available on DOWNLOAD-1 under Other_Downloads)

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Thu 28 Nov 2013, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Volhout

#102 Post by Volhout »

peebee wrote:
I'm afraid I don't know the reason for the strange behaviour but I can tell you how to cure it:
edit the line in root/Startup/1-lxde-startup.sh to comment out lxpanelctl restart - #lxpanelctl restart

I will confirm (and check if the solution is practical and workable) this weekend. Thanks for the effort to dig deeper in the matter.

Volhout

P.S. apps....yes, that should be one to the prime focuses of puppy. For a friend I had to transform a laptop to LXLE (=Lubuntu++), and the wealth of their list of apps is huge. And they install with a single click... and they work !!! If you install Python, then they have a build of Tkinter (the basic gui for Python). Last I looked in (slacko533) puppy I had to hunt one down from Slackware, and never got it to work properly. Of coarse that could be "me" doing things wrong. But fact is that in the ubuntu world it did not go wrong, even with my limited capabilities.

peebee

FIX - NETWORK icon in tray

#103 Post by peebee »

peebee wrote:

Update - I can confirm in my tests that the comment can be removed once a new wifi connection has been established.

peebee

LxPrecise-13.11-retro available

#104 Post by peebee »

I have uploaded the requested by PsyBaba non-PAE version based on Precise Puppy Retro 5.7.1.....

Download: LxPrecise-13.11-retro md5=4a360e47631619fed06ca218ac9c49c4

Like the other flavours of LxPup the sfs in the iso is xz compressed, unlike the original iso which was gz compressed, - it is therefore smaller, in this case, than the base iso.

So there are now 4 main flavours available - 2*Slacko, 2*Precise (plus 1*UpupRaring)

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
screenshot.png
(134.96 KiB) Downloaded 726 times

Volhout

LXpup runs logic analyzer

#105 Post by Volhout »

Just a quick note on compatibility:
I can confirm that the Saleae logic analyzer software works under LXpup.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90628

peebee

Dpup Wheezy flavour

#106 Post by peebee »

Here is an LxPup13.11 flavour based on Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2.11:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... o/download
md5: 3270aacf817572b72d072f58765c0c6c
182MB

All the Best
peebee
Attachments
image-1.png
with optional wbar
(139.02 KiB) Downloaded 1705 times

venomousangell

vlc wont work for me

#107 Post by venomousangell »

hello

ran into a problem I am using LxPup-13.11-s-4g so i can use the compiz fusion option but I cant get gt vlc to install or work for me when i try it reads my files wrong of give me a missing dependance that i cant find and it slightly annoying can anyone help this newbie

peebee

Re: vlc wont work for me

#108 Post by peebee »

venomousangell wrote:hello

ran into a problem I am using LxPup-13.11-s-4g so i can use the compiz fusion option but I cant get gt vlc to install or work for me when i try it reads my files wrong of give me a missing dependance that i cant find and it slightly annoying can anyone help this newbie
Hi

Where did you get vlc from? It does seem to be available via the Puppy Package Manager - but does have dependencies....which dependency are you missing?

It would be best to first check that it works OK on an install of Slacko 5.6 - then on LxPup and only if both those work try it on Compiz.

Haven't tried vlc myself so can't offer much help I'm afraid.

Cheers!

peebee

#109 Post by peebee »

sorry - double post - wish you could delete...

venomousangell

vlc

#110 Post by venomousangell »

Yeah I have tried of the vlc options one for one i.e. clean instal and such but i get this missing library with no clue how to instal because its i couldn't find it anywhere

File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libaccess_avio_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libavformat.so.54 libavcodec.so.54 libavutil.so.51

then if I it it pass the s player opens video audio but i get the message

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "mp4v". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

kind of complex-ING