LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

Re: LxPanelx

#871 Post by peebee »

noalternative wrote:is there a place where I can download the most recent version of lxpanelx for your older 5.7 slacko versions? I can't find them in the package manager.
lxpanelx is sadly a defunct project - there has been no "recent version" for some long time - that is why I have had to move to lxpanel on more recent lxpups....I did try to compile lxpanelx for new builds but failed.....

What aspect of lxpanelx do you need to update????
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

noalternative

#872 Post by noalternative »

It doesn't show all the desktops in the desktop pager. It just shows 1 even though I have made 3.

peebee

#873 Post by peebee »

noalternative wrote:It doesn't show all the desktops in the desktop pager. It just shows 1 even though I have made 3.
Works fine for me on a pristine boot of LxPup-15.11-s with lxpanelx .......

Add desktops either by clicking the scroll wheel on the mouse

or Menu -> Desktop -> Change Appearance -> Windows to run Openbox Configuration Manager

Did you make the additional desktop differently??
Attachments
screenshot.png
(98 KiB) Downloaded 1792 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

noalternative

Install ubuntu packages.

#874 Post by noalternative »

peebee wrote:
noalternative wrote:It doesn't show all the desktops in the desktop pager. It just shows 1 even though I have made 3.
Works fine for me on a pristine boot of LxPup-15.11-s with lxpanelx .......

Add desktops either by clicking the scroll wheel on the mouse

or Menu -> Desktop -> Change Appearance -> Windows to run Openbox Configuration Manager

Did you make the additional desktop differently??
I did this before. However, I changed from 2 to 3 and all of the sudden they showed up.

Anyhow, I have another question. Can I install ubuntu debian packages on xenial based lxpup? If so how? I would like to install this facebook plugin in pidgin. http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... 6.04/i386/

peebee

Re: Install ubuntu packages.

#875 Post by peebee »

noalternative wrote:Anyhow, I have another question. Can I install ubuntu debian packages on xenial based lxpup? If so how? I would like to install this facebook plugin in pidgin.
Yes - Easiest way if the .deb is not in the repositories offered by PPM is to download the .deb and then click on it - once loaded you will need to use the menu item Setup -> Check dependencies installed pkg

If there are missing dependencies you will need to install these as well - hopefully via the PPM.

noalternative

#876 Post by noalternative »

Thanks for all your help? What is the easiest way to setup bluetooth in xenial? Would this be better posted to xenial pup?

noalternative

Puppy Package Manager won't download or upgrade anymore.

#877 Post by noalternative »

My puppy package manager stopped updating and downloading all the sudden. It seemed to happen after I downloaded adb and fastboot tools so I could upgrade my phone to the latest cyanogenmod nightly. I am using the xenial version of lxpup.

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_condor

Otherwise xenial lxpup is working perfectly, so I would hate to have to do a reeinstall.

peebee

Re: Keyboard Layout handler - no flags in the panel

#878 Post by peebee »

riedzig wrote:Hi Peebee
I'm still using your excellent LXpup as No. 1 among all distros, but I am also trying to get through some bugs (not found in forums). One of them is the Keyboard Layout switcher/handler), which won't show in any LXPup the appropriate flags in the panel (shows only a blank frame). Do you please know a solution?
Hi riedzig....I'm pleased to report that the Keyboard Handler panel plugin is now working in LxPupSc-17.01.21.....

riedzig

#879 Post by riedzig »

Hi, peebee
many thanks, I'll have a look at it. Will it be possible to use my current save file?
If you have a moment please read my last query (at this time still unanswered)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109558
I would very much appreciate an advice.

mcradventures

#880 Post by mcradventures »

Could you offer versions with the 3.x kernel? The 4.x kernel doesn't work with my Puppy computer but would like to try this pup.

peebee

#881 Post by peebee »

mcradventures wrote:Could you offer versions with the 3.x kernel? The 4.x kernel doesn't work with my Puppy computer but would like to try this pup.
Hi

You can change the kernel yourself (as long as you have a frugal install)...

Grab a kernel from:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/huge_kernels/

From the Run command in the menu, run change_kernels

or just swap the vmlinuz and zdrv files manually.....
Last edited by peebee on Sat 04 Feb 2017, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.

swiatmar

Power off problem

#882 Post by swiatmar »

I have some strange problem with lxpup. everything is going really well but I am unable to poweroff my netbook. there is a login command appearing and even if i write poweroff nothing is happening

peebee

Re: Power off problem

#883 Post by peebee »

swiatmar wrote:I have some strange problem with lxpup. everything is going really well but I am unable to poweroff my netbook. there is a login command appearing and even if i write poweroff nothing is happening
Which LxPup are you using?
What kind of install?
Have you tried other Pups? Do they have this problem?
Can you try the base Pup i.e. a Pup without the LXDE additions please - see:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 373#918373
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 459#914459

swiatmar

#884 Post by swiatmar »

LxPupXenial 16.08 full install. i have allready tried xthar pup 2.0. and it was working fine
when i try to shut down session it is saying lxpup is shuting down and than i get a login dialog again........

peebee

#885 Post by peebee »

swiatmar wrote:LxPupXenial 16.08 full install. i have allready tried xthar pup 2.0. and it was working fine
when i try to shut down session it is saying lxpup is shuting down and than i get a login dialog again........
Can't help much with full installs I'm afraid as I never, ever do them - can't see the point when frugal installs are so easy, quick and flexible.....

Have you loaded any other software onto your full install?

Where is your full install located?

Nobody else has reported a similar problem despite >9500 downloads....

Bit difficult to suggest what to try - might be an acpi issue so you could try some kernel boot switches as per:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73304

Anybody else got any advice??

Pelo

Driver RTL8192CU must be installed by user,

#886 Post by Pelo »

Driver RTL8192CU must be installed by user, in spite of WLAN1 appears in the menu. Could you provide these drivers for LXpup kernels ? Merci messieurs.
People sometimes use their laptop not at home and need to connect to Public spots. That is the case where i live. Spots are offered free of charge by the city. But you need the driver for Puppy Linux OS used (LXpup and kernel)
Rcrsn51 provides a pet.
look here for 8192cu_xenial_701-k4.5.2.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 27 May 2017, 11:43, edited 6 times in total.

peebee

Re: Driver RTL8192CU must be installed by user,

#887 Post by peebee »

Pelo wrote:Driver RTL8192CU must be installed by user, in spite of WLAN1 appears in the menu. Could you provide these drivers for LXpup kernels ? Merci messieurs.
People sometimes use their laptop not at home and need to connect to Public spots. That is the case where i live. Spots are offered free of charge by the city. But you need the driver for Puppy Linux OS used (LXpup and kernel)
Rcrsn51 provides a pet for 7.0.2 LXpup version.
I intend to take a glance at LXQt pup seen in sourceforge here.
Wifi drivers and firmware come from the pup that LxPup is based on - in this case LxPupXenial-16.08.2 is based on Xenialpup CE 7.0.4

Any missing items need to be raised with Xenialpup....

I would caution against looking too closely at LxQtPup as it has had no development since Dec 2014 and none is planned. It has its own thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95020

Pelo

LXQt soon will replace LXDE...

#888 Post by Pelo »

"I would caution against looking too closely at LxQtPup as it has had no development since Dec 2014 " I will feed back if LXQTpup is however serviceable an if this marry well with my computer ( Medion p7624 bought 2012)
LXQt soon will replace LXDE...
I suppose the dev was Jejy69, a guy from France, a neighbor. He was very young. Perhaps he has developed ... a family
About LXpup, for surfing outside with my laptop, wireless connected to public hot spots, i will change the kernel if no drivers found for my antenna.
An SFS lxQt is available (19MB)

How-to-do : lxpup has a trash, where files are stored before deleting. But how do you delete them ? Delete is in the choice (right-click menu on Trash) solved

Pelo

Re: Keyboard Layout handler - no flags in the panel

#889 Post by Pelo »

riedzig wrote:Hi Peebee
I'm still using your excellent LXpup as No. 1 among all distros, but I am also trying to get through some bugs (not found in forums). One of them is the Keyboard Layout switcher/handler), which won't show in any LXPup the appropriate flags in the panel (shows only a blank frame). Do you please know a solution?
How to change USA flag by England (UK), and add France one ? French is not included as choice. I change by setxkbmap fr in terminal.
Germany flag is included in choice. french is more used than German, even by Puppy users.
I learn English at school, but Cambridge one, not NYC. That is the reason why EN is more accurate than US. Australian flag should be available too, for Puppy native country, won't it ?
Peebee should agree on my request,Give to Caesar what is Caesar's
Attachments
Bandera.jpg
Le bon drapeau, c'est mieux
(24.67 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 27 May 2017, 11:42, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#890 Post by peebee »

Updated 13-jun-2017

For testing....

LxPupXenial-17.06.00

a derivative of Xenialpup 7.0.8.1 beta from 666philb

Notes:
Not a UEFI iso - just bios boot
Identifies as xenialpup-7.0.8.1 so cannot update any previous LxPupXenial save
Not a new woof-ce build - a derivative
Last edited by peebee on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 11:18, edited 3 times in total.