LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#781 Post by peebee »

peebee wrote:Further investigation is needed!!! I'll get back to you.
Cheers
peebee
Hi @Marv

There was a missing link to libudev.so.0 in the iso - which was then being created during savefolder creation/reboot just to confuse.

I've re-uploaded the fixed .iso - new md5 is ed907bb64bf314ad735ae77c7b44c62d

This "bug" was the reason for both phenomena - so trash is now back on initial boot as well as frisbee fixed.

No need to bother rerwin.....

Thanks for making me track this down.
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Moat

#782 Post by Moat »

Wow, what an excellent pup. Booted (quickly!) straight to the desktop at the proper resolution, everything working so far. Great look and function, and blazingly fast, too. Congrats, Peebee (and Philb)! 8)

A few amateur, muddy-headed first observations/ramblings (please excuse me!), running live from the CD, without savefile - mostly just minor stuff...

*Noticed the same Frisbee behavior here, too - rejects password when ran from the first run menu, but connects fine after desktop loads fully, then ran via right-clicking the panel's connect icon.

*Trash icon did not initially appear on the desktop here either, and was selected but grayed out (not un-selectable) in the "Desktop Preferences" window. But after getting Compton up and running, noticed it had magically appeared - and the "Desktop Preferences" selection was no longer grayed out, and worked.

*The "Folder Icons" button in the "LxPup Appearance Changer" window is missing an icon, and didn't seem to do anything when clicked (I may have already switched to Elementary icons by then, tho...?)?

*The tray's default browser launcher (LH side) was missing it's icon - simple fix was to just edit the launcher's properties and replace the default browser entry with the Palemoon entry.

*Installed the desktop drive icons .pet (from the "LxPup Options Installer" window) and it is running with a standard app/window button placed in the tray (see attached screenshot) - I assume there really should be no button there. Also, like any normal open app, it's not carrying across desktops. Is that the expected behavior?

*Is there any longer a need for the "JWMDesk Manager"? (Menu>Desktop>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager) Seems like that could be eliminated...?

*Will it be safe to install updates via the "Tahr Updates" utility, as they are released? Or is LxPup Tahr different enough from Philb's parent Tahr that there may be an increased risk of breaking things?

*Pwidgets 2.5.8 doesn't work (won't display) - likely just a Compton thing, that'll require some tweaks of the Pwidgets configs.

*Although I've yet to find the settings for font anti-aliasing, it really doesn't matter as the fonts look great, as is (unlike most pups, anti-aliasing must already be "on" by default... yay!).

*Little niggle, the default mouse sensitivity seems waay too low/slow (Acceleration = 2, Threshold = 10) - and even with the max Accel of 7 on this 1280x1024 monitor, it feels barely adequate. Would be nice to have a wider Acceleration range - like up to 15 or so...

*Fast, solid, efficient and good looking... lovin' it! Compton appears to add no discernible load to the running system, either.

*Conky is occasionally disappearing, probably losing a battle over the desktop with Compton... will have to investigate...

All in all, working excellently so far. Thanks!

Bob
Attachments
capture1.jpg
LxPupTahr-15.12.1
(92.69 KiB) Downloaded 1726 times

Moat

#783 Post by Moat »

peebee wrote:I've re-uploaded the fixed .iso
Whoa... just missed it, that was quick! I'll nab the new .iso and do it all over again... :)

Bob

Marv

#784 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:I've re-uploaded the fixed .iso - new md5 is ed907bb64bf314ad735ae77c7b44c62d
Downloaded, md5 correct, all good, all good.

Last edited by Marv on Wed 23 Dec 2015, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#785 Post by peebee »

Moat wrote:*Installed the desktop drive icons .pet (from the "LxPup Options Installer" window) and it is running with a standard app/window button placed in the tray (see attached screenshot) - I assume there really should be no button there. Also, like any normal open app, it's not carrying across desktops. Is that the expected behavior?

*Is there any longer a need for the "JWMDesk Manager"? (Menu>Desktop>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager) Seems like that could be eliminated...?

*Will it be safe to install updates via the "Tahr Updates" utility, as they are released? Or is LxPup Tahr different enough from Philb's parent Tahr that there may be an increased risk of breaking things?
The nopae version is now available....see above

Hi @Moat

Thanks for the feedback

The frisbee and trash problems are now fixed.
Your icon problems arise from changing to Elementary - must admit I haven't fully tested this....
Folder icon colour changer only works with Flat-remix icons I'm afraid
Good point about JWMDesk Manager - I will hide it in next version
Yes - the TahrPup update mechanism should apply to LxPupTahr with few problems unless the update changes some basic aspect that LxPupTahr is relying on....
Desktop Drive Icons work OK for me when installed from Desktop Appearance -> Options.....there is code in /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml from line #784 on which explicity hides the application from the tray - wonder what you might have done to break that - compton shouldn't be the culprit but your mention of conky and pwidgets might be....

code should be:

Code: Select all

<application title="desktop_drive_icons">
      <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
      <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
      <desktop>all</desktop>
    </application>
    <application title="gtkdialog-splash">
      <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
      <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
      <desktop>all</desktop>
    </application>
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Moat

#786 Post by Moat »

Thanks for the reply, peebee.

I can confirm that the Frisbe and trash issues are fixed with the new .iso.

And, yes - the Elementary icon set indeed was the cause of the other minor icon issues - it's all good running the Flat-remix set.

I too wonder how I broke the Desktop Drive Icons/rc.xml... I'll tinker around and see if I can figure out what happened there. Thanks for the code location and fix for that!

FWIW - I did manage to get some of the Pwidgets elements to display, fiddling with their config files - so at least I know it's possible.

I just need to do a dedicated frugal install to flash stick, and get to saving some of this tinkering.

Again, thanks for this great Pup - really excellent work! 8)

Bob

peebee

#787 Post by peebee »

LxPup-15.11.02-s-pae has been re-uploaded with Firefox-38.5.2-esr - no other changes.

The 32-bit version of Opera-Beta works on LxPup-15.11 - see:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=102075

peebee

#788 Post by peebee »

I can scarcely believe this.....

After 261 downloads of LxPup-15.11.02-s-pae nobody has noticed that Firefox is broken!!! :oops: :?: :(

The quick fix is:
ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-38.5.2 /usr/lib/firefox-38.5.0
and then run firefox from a terminal

I've uploaded an updated iso - md5 = 3c77d148c1eb07c16aa0ee0b00816c33

unicorn316386

#789 Post by unicorn316386 »

peebee wrote:I can scarcely believe this.....

After 261 downloads of LxPup-15.11.02-s-pae nobody has noticed that Firefox is broken!!! :oops: :?: :(
Where did you get the number 261 downloads (for that iso) from? I don't believe 261 is correct either. :lol:

edit: Ah, found the stats. Maybe robots clicking randomly or sourceforge workers downloading to try and inject malware? :D

greengeek

#790 Post by greengeek »

Hi Peebee, I am trying to assist another puppian with an issue on their full install of LXPup-Precise-Retro 14.10 but I cant find a download link for that version on your website. Is it still available somewhere please?
cheers

peebee

#791 Post by peebee »

greengeek wrote:Hi Peebee, I am trying to assist another puppian with an issue on their full install of LXPup-Precise-Retro 14.10 but I cant find a download link for that version on your website. Is it still available somewhere please?
cheers
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.10/

greengeek

#792 Post by greengeek »

Thanks peebee, that did the trick.

sanlav

#793 Post by sanlav »

What devx to use for the retro version ?

peebee

#794 Post by peebee »

sanlav wrote:What devx to use for the retro version ?
Link is on page:
http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-precise.html

issac99289928

LxPup-15.11.2-s-pae

#795 Post by issac99289928 »

I installed LxPup-15.11.2-s-pae in a pc and a laptop .I am enjoying it very much and I want to thank you for making mt7601u device work .

One thing that bothers me is that :I cannot get caps lock and numlock led
illuminated although both keys work as requested

peebee

LxPup-15.11.3-s-pae

#796 Post by peebee »

LxPup-15.11.3-s-pae has been uploaded with Firefox-38.6.0-esr - no other changes.

peebee

LxPup-15.11.4-s-pae

#797 Post by peebee »

The Slacko flavour of LxPup - LxPup-15.11.4-s-pae has been uploaded with Firefox-38.6.1-esr and openssl-1.0.1s - no other changes.

Delta is also available.

iso md5 is 86bf339b708c7f048b7e3c302586a9d8
Last edited by peebee on Fri 04 Mar 2016, 14:58, edited 2 times in total.

festus

Re: LxPup-15.11.4-s-pae

#798 Post by festus »

peebee wrote:Delta is also available. iso md5 is 86bf339b708c7f048b7e3c302586a9d8
I downloaded the delta, and this is the md5 I got:
b349618774a0c341ccbf58fed6e43957

I may dl it again.

Thanks, festus

peebee

#799 Post by peebee »

festus wrote:
peebee wrote:Delta is also available. iso md5 is 86bf339b708c7f048b7e3c302586a9d8
I downloaded the delta, and this is the md5 I got:
b349618774a0c341ccbf58fed6e43957

I may dl it again.

Thanks, festus
The md5 is for the iso once it has been created using the delta.....

festus

#800 Post by festus »

peebee wrote:The md5 is for the iso once it has been created using the delta.....
Oooops, I'm sorry, my mistake on thinking wrong. Will give it a try.