LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

Re: DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS file for LxPup-tahr

#766 Post by peebee »

LexMar wrote:Hi

I have few questions.

Is LxPup built using woof-CE ?

If it is built with woof-CE can some one share DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS for LxPup-tahr file for building custom CD using woof-CE.

Warm regards
Not fully - yet....

The base puppy is built from woof-ce - i.e. tahrpup or slacko

The LxPup components are then added to the base using Woofy - there are 2 main components - an sfs and a pet - but I usually also update a few components that are not in the woof-ce repositories with new versions....and sometimes I also update the kernel (but not for LxPupTahr).

If the changes you want to make are to the base pup - then you can use woof-ce to build your new base and then add the sfs and pet. All you would be missing would be "branding" (it would still be tahrpup or slacko) and the updates mentioned above (which I can specify if needed - the LxPupTahr-15.05 ones are frisbee and drivers: wl, ndiswrapper and mt7601u).

I do have "plans" to move the LxPup build process closer to woof-ce however there are some definite speed advantages in the current build method (woofy is much quicker compared to woof-ce) and then there are repository issues - for woof-ce to work all of the components have to be available from online repositories - most are but some aren't - I'm not sure I really want to move into the arena of repository maintenance.....

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee

p.s. if you look in hidden folder /root/.packages you will see that the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS is for the base pup and has not been changed by the LxPup build process.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Samba and LxPup

#767 Post by peebee »

Don't know if anybody else has noticed....

In LxPup-15.11-s (and also LxPupSc) - i.e. the slacko flavours of LxPup - samba network access is now working through PCManFM (with other Puppies at least).

If you have samba servers on your network, just type smb: into the PCManFM address bar and the samba shares will be shown - see screenie.

Would be interested to hear if other types of samba share can be accessed this way.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
2 samba shares on my network - 1 Puppy, 1 in my router
(19.39 KiB) Downloaded 1652 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jlst

#768 Post by jlst »

Hi peebee, would you mind if I contribute code to your project? I'd like to make it compatible with woof ce, in fact part of woof ce

LexMar

#769 Post by LexMar »

Hi peebee,
peebee wrote: I do have "plans" to move the LxPup build process closer to woof-ce however there are some definite speed advantages in the current build method (woofy is much quicker compared to woof-ce) and then there are repository issues - for woof-ce to work all of the components have to be available from online repositories - most are but some aren't - I'm not sure I really want to move into the arena of repository maintenance.....

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee

p.s. if you look in hidden folder /root/.packages you will see that the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS is for the base pup and has not been changed by the LxPup build process.
Actually I need custom kernel with realtime patches ( Xenomai). For my development I am using Ubuntu with modified kernel. It is too big for my runtime. In search of small run time system I came across Puppy Linux.

I don't mind to use any build system which ever works. For my run-time system I need really striped down version of the OS.

Will try with your suggested links of woofy and LxPup.

Also I want to have either XFCE or LXDE desktops.

Warm regards.

LexMar

#770 Post by LexMar »

Hi peebee,

Any hints on how to change kernel.
peebee wrote: but I usually also update a few components that are not in the woof-ce repositories with new versions....and sometimes I also update the kernel (but not for LxPupTahr).
I have LxPup installed on Harddisk. Then I compiled and installed new kernel 3.18.24 with xenomai extentions. It is working fine on HD.

I experimented little with woofy and created striped down version of iso from your LxPup...iso

Now I think I need to create zdrv... file. Need help here.

Warm regards.

peebee

#771 Post by peebee »

LexMar wrote:Hi peebee,
Actually I need custom kernel with realtime patches ( Xenomai).
If its the kernel you want to change you either need to use the kernel kit inside woof-ce or use stemsees version

I would do the kernel change before you expend effort on cutting down....

Once you've built a puppy/woof-ce compatible kernel then swapping them in a frugal install is just a matter of replacing 2 files or use the change_kernels utility in recent pups.

LexMar

#772 Post by LexMar »

On the hard disc install of LxPup now I have three working versions of kernels. Which I can choose at boot time.
peebee wrote: I would do the kernel change before you expend effort on cutting down....
Have 3 vmlinuz-xxx files and 3 folders in /lib/modules for kernels 3.14.20 original, 3.18.24 standard and 3.18.24 with modifications.

Now what I need to know is how to prepare sfs files from this. Also how to make initrd.img file.

Warm regards.

peebee

#773 Post by peebee »

LexMar wrote:On the hard disc install of LxPup now I have three working versions of kernels. Which I can choose at boot time.
peebee wrote: I would do the kernel change before you expend effort on cutting down....
Have 3 vmlinuz-xxx files and 3 folders in /lib/modules for kernels 3.14.20 original, 3.18.24 standard and 3.18.24 with modifications.

Now what I need to know is how to prepare sfs files from this. Also how to make initrd.img file.

Warm regards.
Do you have a full install or a frugal install? A frugal install is definitely the recommended way to go with puppy, particularly if you are "experimenting"...

I never use full installs so am not the right person to advise if that's what you want to use I'm afraid.

mksquashfs is the tool used to make an sfs from a directory.

The tools above make vmlinuz and the zdrv .sfs for you - if you need?? to edit the initrd.gz there is a tool - Edit-Initrdgz-1.5.pet - which you can install.

gcmartin

#774 Post by gcmartin »

I have been testing a recent version of LxPUPSc. Here are some of my findings.
... If you have samba servers on your network, just type smb: into the PCManFM address bar and the samba shares will be shown - see screenie ...
Kinda.

On attempts to connect to one other LxPUP32 on my LAN, I get a pop-up screen offering connection credentialing. It is preset for anonymous, but has checkbox for entering credentials for access.When clicking that and filling in the proper workgroup and password, I am able to access the resource list that the LxPUP32 offers.

On attempts to access my local NAS, I get no such pop-up. I do get 2 messageboxes indicating "failure".

I know you dont do the filemanager development, but, the FM needs to keep a table for what has been credential and what is new when the smb://... is used. This way when the smb:// is used for a newly requested LAN resource, the user is offered the credential screen to change from anonymous so proper needs to access resources on ANY specific LAN device which is sharing files to the LAN. This would avoid the hit-or-miss actions I am seeing allowing me to change this when necessary for access. Another way would be that if a failure does occur, the credentials screen would pop-up assuming the remote device is, in fact, sharing smb resources.

Other observations
PPM - I opened and used its config icon to select REPOs and update the packages list used by the PPM. Upon completion of its Update, it restarted to the main PPM screen. All of the REPOs that I expected to see on its left are NOT there??? I had selected additional
Touchscreen - tracking is not accurate.

Service Management - which of the current service managemetn approaches do you envision users to use to get service/fixes as the distro discovers and provides them?
  • @BarryK's ???
  • @ETP's ???,
  • @Mavrothal's ???, or
  • @666PhilB's ???
  • or one you provide.
Very Nice work overall

peebee

LxPup-15.11.2-s-pae

#775 Post by peebee »

LxPup-15.11.2-s-pae has updates:
firefox-38.5.2-esr and openssl-1.0.1.q and yassm-2.9

see updated post above
Last edited by peebee on Thu 24 Dec 2015, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

LxPupTahr-15.12.1-pae and nopae

#776 Post by peebee »

LxPupTahr-15.12.1-pae.iso and
LxPupTahr-15.12.1-nopae.iso

are available to download. Based on 666philb's tahrpup-6.0.5-CE. Kernel 3.14.56

pae version re-uploaded on 22-dec-15 at GMT 09.45 after 135 downloads.... new md5 is ed907bb64bf314ad735ae77c7b44c62d
Attachments
capture3040.png
(104.55 KiB) Downloaded 1286 times
Last edited by peebee on Tue 22 Dec 2015, 17:16, edited 3 times in total.

Marv

LxPupTahr-15.12.1-pae

#777 Post by Marv »

Quick test:
Downloaded and installed frugally to Fujitsu S6520 laptop (core 2 duo, iwlwifi, intel 'cantiga' graphics). Done both as fresh install and updating a LxPupTahr 15.02 savefile.

Video perfect, uses intel driver, glxgears FPS=1350 -great-, sound working, Synaptics touchpad fine.

Connection works on fresh install using Dougal. It nags about iwlwifi not being WPA capable ( it is), but gracefully adds iwlwifi:wext to /etc/network-wizard/wpa_modules and then connects perfectly.
Connection on the updated savefile was with PWF. It connected immediately on update.

Frisbee will not connect with the iwlwifi. Would not under 15.02 either. I am sure it does not recognise the IWLWIFI card as WPA capable but I can't find where it keeps or expects to find that info. See attached screenshot (the libraries are there, look at the expected password lengths).

Don't see anything else right now. I'll set up prefs in the fresh and use it a bit.
Attachments
Invalid_Password.png
(21.67 KiB) Downloaded 1264 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

Re: LxPupTahr-15.12.1-pae

#778 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:Frisbee will not connect with the iwlwifi. Would not under 15.02 either. I am sure it does not recognise the IWLWIFI card as WPA capable but I can't find where it keeps or expects to find that info. See attached screenshot (the libraries are there, look at the expected password lengths).
Hi @Marv

Thanks for the report....
see below for reason and fix

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Tue 22 Dec 2015, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

#779 Post by Marv »

@peebee,

I replicated and rereplicated this many times, no savefile each time, Always using Frisbee, preparing to do a pdialog to report. Here is what I found and confirmed:
If I use the Connect box in the Welcome box before LxPup starts I always get the error reported above. With or without the firewall box ticked no difference.
IF I let LxPup start THEN use Frisbee either from the tray or control panel>internet, It connects perfectly. It's nuts, but I've done it at least 10 times and the result is the same. Pristine boot each time!
Also, if I get a failure from the connect box, let LxPup start, then invoke Frisbee It will connect (I do have to restart the networks in Frisbee).

I don't know what it means.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#780 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:@peebee,

I replicated and rereplicated this many times, no savefile each time, Always using Frisbee, preparing to do a pdialog to report. Here is what I found and confirmed:
If I use the Connect box in the Welcome box before LxPup starts I always get the error reported above. With or without the firewall box ticked no difference.
IF I let LxPup start THEN use Frisbee either from the tray or control panel>internet, It connects perfectly. It's nuts, but I've done it at least 10 times and the result is the same. Pristine boot each time!
Also, if I get a failure from the connect box, let LxPup start, then invoke Frisbee It will connect (I do have to restart the networks in Frisbee).

I don't know what it means.
Hi @Marv

I can replicate the problem - I have seen it before with Frisbee when used with some gtk2 themes - an error message gets appended to the typed key causing it to be invalid.

I've also noticed that the trash can doesn't appear on the desktop until a savefolder has been created during a reboot - the 2 phenomena may be related.

Further investigation is needed!!! I'll get back to you.
Cheers
peebee

peebee

#781 Post by peebee »

peebee wrote:Further investigation is needed!!! I'll get back to you.
Cheers
peebee
Hi @Marv

There was a missing link to libudev.so.0 in the iso - which was then being created during savefolder creation/reboot just to confuse.

I've re-uploaded the fixed .iso - new md5 is ed907bb64bf314ad735ae77c7b44c62d

This "bug" was the reason for both phenomena - so trash is now back on initial boot as well as frisbee fixed.

No need to bother rerwin.....

Thanks for making me track this down.
Cheers
peebee

Moat

#782 Post by Moat »

Wow, what an excellent pup. Booted (quickly!) straight to the desktop at the proper resolution, everything working so far. Great look and function, and blazingly fast, too. Congrats, Peebee (and Philb)! 8)

A few amateur, muddy-headed first observations/ramblings (please excuse me!), running live from the CD, without savefile - mostly just minor stuff...

*Noticed the same Frisbee behavior here, too - rejects password when ran from the first run menu, but connects fine after desktop loads fully, then ran via right-clicking the panel's connect icon.

*Trash icon did not initially appear on the desktop here either, and was selected but grayed out (not un-selectable) in the "Desktop Preferences" window. But after getting Compton up and running, noticed it had magically appeared - and the "Desktop Preferences" selection was no longer grayed out, and worked.

*The "Folder Icons" button in the "LxPup Appearance Changer" window is missing an icon, and didn't seem to do anything when clicked (I may have already switched to Elementary icons by then, tho...?)?

*The tray's default browser launcher (LH side) was missing it's icon - simple fix was to just edit the launcher's properties and replace the default browser entry with the Palemoon entry.

*Installed the desktop drive icons .pet (from the "LxPup Options Installer" window) and it is running with a standard app/window button placed in the tray (see attached screenshot) - I assume there really should be no button there. Also, like any normal open app, it's not carrying across desktops. Is that the expected behavior?

*Is there any longer a need for the "JWMDesk Manager"? (Menu>Desktop>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager) Seems like that could be eliminated...?

*Will it be safe to install updates via the "Tahr Updates" utility, as they are released? Or is LxPup Tahr different enough from Philb's parent Tahr that there may be an increased risk of breaking things?

*Pwidgets 2.5.8 doesn't work (won't display) - likely just a Compton thing, that'll require some tweaks of the Pwidgets configs.

*Although I've yet to find the settings for font anti-aliasing, it really doesn't matter as the fonts look great, as is (unlike most pups, anti-aliasing must already be "on" by default... yay!).

*Little niggle, the default mouse sensitivity seems waay too low/slow (Acceleration = 2, Threshold = 10) - and even with the max Accel of 7 on this 1280x1024 monitor, it feels barely adequate. Would be nice to have a wider Acceleration range - like up to 15 or so...

*Fast, solid, efficient and good looking... lovin' it! Compton appears to add no discernible load to the running system, either.

*Conky is occasionally disappearing, probably losing a battle over the desktop with Compton... will have to investigate...

All in all, working excellently so far. Thanks!

Bob
Attachments
capture1.jpg
LxPupTahr-15.12.1
(92.69 KiB) Downloaded 1726 times

Moat

#783 Post by Moat »

peebee wrote:I've re-uploaded the fixed .iso
Whoa... just missed it, that was quick! I'll nab the new .iso and do it all over again... :)

Bob

Marv

#784 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:I've re-uploaded the fixed .iso - new md5 is ed907bb64bf314ad735ae77c7b44c62d
Downloaded, md5 correct, all good, all good.

Last edited by Marv on Wed 23 Dec 2015, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#785 Post by peebee »

Moat wrote:*Installed the desktop drive icons .pet (from the "LxPup Options Installer" window) and it is running with a standard app/window button placed in the tray (see attached screenshot) - I assume there really should be no button there. Also, like any normal open app, it's not carrying across desktops. Is that the expected behavior?

*Is there any longer a need for the "JWMDesk Manager"? (Menu>Desktop>Desktop>JWMDesk Manager) Seems like that could be eliminated...?

*Will it be safe to install updates via the "Tahr Updates" utility, as they are released? Or is LxPup Tahr different enough from Philb's parent Tahr that there may be an increased risk of breaking things?
The nopae version is now available....see above

Hi @Moat

Thanks for the feedback

The frisbee and trash problems are now fixed.
Your icon problems arise from changing to Elementary - must admit I haven't fully tested this....
Folder icon colour changer only works with Flat-remix icons I'm afraid
Good point about JWMDesk Manager - I will hide it in next version
Yes - the TahrPup update mechanism should apply to LxPupTahr with few problems unless the update changes some basic aspect that LxPupTahr is relying on....
Desktop Drive Icons work OK for me when installed from Desktop Appearance -> Options.....there is code in /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml from line #784 on which explicity hides the application from the tray - wonder what you might have done to break that - compton shouldn't be the culprit but your mention of conky and pwidgets might be....

code should be:

Code: Select all

<application title="desktop_drive_icons">
      <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
      <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
      <desktop>all</desktop>
    </application>
    <application title="gtkdialog-splash">
      <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
      <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
      <desktop>all</desktop>
    </application>