LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#76 Post by Marv »

Thanks peebee,
Returned from the wilderness :P The great improvements in the right clicks and rightclick structure in the 0.3 pet tips the balance firmly back to PCmanFM from SpaceFM. Easy to maintain and add to. Pulled SpaceFM and now basically running a rethemed and paneled svc pack C LxPup with external opera browser. Did add a Save.desktop so I can save2flash and copy the savefile to a backup location before :?: I shoot myself in the foot.

Cheers, ...and wishing I could get mime wildcards to work...
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#77 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:...and wishing I could get mime wildcards to work...
I've also searched and have been unable to find anything that works.

A reminder - what we want is to be able to define in mimeapps.list that a particular function can be applied to a range of mime types - something like

Code: Select all

image/*=mtpaint.desktop;
i.e. mtpaint can open all types of image files.

If anybody out there knows how to do this please let us know - ta.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Advice please - openbox3.5.2

#78 Post by peebee »

I have made a trial build of LxPup13.11 with the latest version of Openbox 3.5.2 - only to find that the window placement logic has changed since 3.5.0....
New LeastOverlap window placement policy replaces the old default behaviour. It finds a place on a given monitor that overlaps as few windows as possible.
New windows are now placed at a position which covers the maximum amount of empty screen and the minimum overlap with existing windows. But the default position is top left of the screen so that small windows opened on an empty desktop appear top left rather then in the centre of the desktop as per 3.5.0

I'm not sure I like this new behaviour....so need advice as to whether LxPup13.11 should embrace the new version or stick with the 3.5.0 version as in LxPup13.10?

Anybody got any thoughts/advice??

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

Re: Advice please - openbox3.5.2

#79 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:I have made a trial build of LxPup13.11 with the latest version of Openbox 3.5.2 - only to find that the window placement logic has changed since 3.5.0....
New LeastOverlap window placement policy replaces the old default behaviour. It finds a place on a given monitor that overlaps as few windows as possible.
New windows are now placed at a position which covers the maximum amount of empty screen and the minimum overlap with existing windows. But the default position is top left of the screen so that small windows opened on an empty desktop appear top left rather then in the centre of the desktop as per 3.5.0

I'm not sure I like this new behaviour....so need advice as to whether LxPup13.11 should embrace the new version or stick with the 3.5.0 version as in LxPup13.10?

Anybody got any thoughts/advice??

Cheers
peebee
I've been running 3.5.2 and have no major gripes. In /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml, you should be able to set the placement policy:
Center>yes< and policy>Smart or Undermouse< in lines 26 and 28. Have a go at it and see.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#80 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:I've been running 3.5.2 and have no major gripes. In /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml, you should be able to set the placement policy:
Center>yes< and policy>Smart or Undermouse< in lines 26 and 28. Have a go at it and see.

Cheers,
Hi Marv

The <center>yes</center> seems to have no effect in my build.

Changing the <policy>...</policy> line does work as expected.

Obconf2.0.4 has a gui to change the <policy> but no mention of <center>

Also in /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml there is no <center> line

Wonder why yours is working and not mine???

This thread seems to suggest it is a known problem with 3.5.1 & 2

Thanks for your help...
Cheers
peebee

Marv

#81 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Wonder why yours is working and not mine???

This thread seems to suggest it is a known problem with 3.5.1 & 2

Thanks for your help...
Cheers
peebee
Doublechecked the version I'm running and the rc.xml. Version is indeed 3.5.2 and there isn't a patch like those in the thread in the rc.xml. I didn't compile it and it is in alphaOS 12.x so may well be from the Arch AUR, referenced in the thread. All in all, might be best to wait a bit as the bugfix should be coming and the "Smart " placement is :twisted: damn irritating.

On a lighter note :D SlimBoat now can run with flashplayer in LxPup. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=75 Still has a few font issues but I'm happily using it as an adjunct to my beloved but 'long in the tooth' Opera 12.16 when sites break Opera.

peebee

LxPup13.11

#82 Post by peebee »

LxPup13.11 is now available from the download page in 3 "flavours":
  • LxPup-13.11-s-4g
    LxPup-13.11-s-pae
    LxPrecise-13.11-pae **NEW**
The main changes from LxPup13.10C are:
  • - Openbox is now version 3.5.2 (but see below)
    - WBar is available in Options
There is a delta file available to update lxpup-13.10-1 (base version with no service packs) to LxPup-13.11-s-4g

For anybody who really hates the new window placement logic in Openbox3.5.2, a pet is available to revert to Openbox3.5.0

Finally, there is a version of Chromium-31 which will run on all flavours.

Cheers
PeeBee
Last edited by peebee on Sun 24 Nov 2013, 17:35, edited 4 times in total.

Volhout

#83 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

Will try 13.11 and the new window behaviour tonight.
Is there any change in the devx ? Standard Slacko 5.6 devx ?
I need Python, and guess it's in the devx (2.x series ?)

Volhout

peebee

Re: 13.11

#84 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Hi PeeBee,

Will try 13.11 and the new window behaviour tonight.
Is there any change in the devx ? Standard Slacko 5.6 devx ?
I need Python, and guess it's in the devx (2.x series ?)

Volhout
Hi Volhout

Yes - standard Slacko 5.6 devx appropriate to the "Flavour" / kernel you are using

Setup -> SFS Manager....

or http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... E_DEVX.TXT

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... puppy-5.6/

Cheers
peebee

Volhout

log off

#85 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

Yesterday I introduced LxPup to my wife, and she made a remark that made me think....

We run puppy as root. Why do we shut down the computer with "log out", and have 6 different choices in shutdown. Restart (with puppy) is just as fast as off and on. Different user is not needed. Restart X is something you only do to change windows manager or similar. In practice (as a user) you only turn off.

Maybe it is a no-brainer....

peebee

Re: log off

#86 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Dear PeeBee,

Yesterday I introduced LxPup to my wife, and she made a remark that made me think....

We run puppy as root. Why do we shut down the computer with "log out", and have 6 different choices in shutdown. Restart (with puppy) is just as fast as off and on. Different user is not needed. Restart X is something you only do to change windows manager or similar. In practice (as a user) you only turn off.

Hi Volhout....

Powerdown switches off the computer
Suspend puts the computer to sleep so it can be quickly restarted
Reboot allows you to switch between different operating systems if you have more than one installed
RestartWM sets everything back to a known state and is useful if and when something goes wrong
Logout drops you out to the console

So they all have individual and unique behaviours but maybe there are too many for most users.

I'll have a think (in slow time) as to whether there is a better way to organise things. The current way has the advantage that everything is in one place.

All current Pups use basically the same scheme.

Cheers
peebee

Marv

Re: log off

#87 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Volhout wrote:Dear PeeBee,

Hi Volhout....

Powerdown switches off the computer
Suspend puts the computer to sleep so it can be quickly restarted
Reboot allows you to switch between different operating systems if you have more than one installed
RestartWM sets everything back to a known state and is useful if and when something goes wrong
Logout drops you out to the console

So they all have individual and unique behaviours but maybe there are too many for most users.

I'll have a think (in slow time) as to whether there is a better way to organise things. The current way has the advantage that everything is in one place.

All current Pups use basically the same scheme.

Cheers
peebee
Carolina uses a shutdown pulldown list which remembers the last shutdown action. Maybe for people who always perform the same action every time that works but it's a some extra clicks for me and I usually replace it with a more pup std. one from Saluki. What about just making a Powerdown.desktop for Powerdown so it may be put in the system panel by itself easily. That's what I usually do for my 'users'.

vicmz

Re: LxPup13.11 : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

#88 Post by vicmz »

peebee wrote:LxPrecise-13.11-pae is a derivative of Puppy Precise 5.7.1 using the PAE kernel 3.9.11
Sweet! Thank you. :D
No, I won't stop remixing Openbox. :lol: OpenboxPlus is still the choice for those who go lightweight, and it's a different customization that I like very much. However, I should link to this thread for those who want a full LXDE Puppy. :wink:
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

peebee

Re: LxPup13.11 : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

#89 Post by peebee »

vicmz wrote:
peebee wrote:LxPrecise-13.11-pae is a derivative of Puppy Precise 5.7.1 using the PAE kernel 3.9.11
Sweet! Thank you. :D
No, I won't stop remixing Openbox. :lol: OpenboxPlus is still the choice for those who go lightweight, and it's a different customization that I like very much. However, I should link to this thread for those who want a full LXDE Puppy. :wink:
Hi Vicmz

Definitely do NOT stop - that's the strength of Puppy - lots of choice...

And OpenBoxPlus and LxPup are different but complementary - not everyone wants to go the full LXDE route of LxPup i.e PcManFM largely replacing Rox.

I have added a link back to OpenBoxPlus on my post #1.

Have you tried OpenBox3.5.2? What are your thoughts on the window placement logic? I'm gradually getting used to it....

Cheers
peebee

Senza Vega

wbar

#90 Post by Senza Vega »

Hello, great Puppy !
"ça change" comme on dit en France !
Can you tell me where I could get the wbar ?
Best Regards

Edit : That's right, got it in /opt/lxpup-xtras

:wink:

Senza Vega

wbar

#91 Post by Senza Vega »

hum..
I installed the .pet, but wbar isn't here.
restart X but not here yet.
:?:

peebee

Re: wbar

#92 Post by peebee »

Senza Vega wrote:hum..
I installed the .pet, but wbar isn't here.
restart X but not here yet.
:?:
Hi Senza
Not really sure what to advise as it works OK for me....I'm at work now so will test when I get home tonight - which 'flavour' of LxPup13.11 are you running?
Have you tried running wbar from a terminal?
Cheers
peebee

Senza Vega

#93 Post by Senza Vega »

Hello,

the flavour is LxPup-13.11-s-pae.

I tried to lauch from a terminal and it return :

wbar: command not found
[/quote]

peebee

#94 Post by peebee »

Senza Vega wrote:Hello,

the flavour is LxPup-13.11-s-pae.

I tried to lauch from a terminal and it return :

wbar: command not found
[/quote]

Hi Senza

Just tested - installed both from the menu via Desktop - Change Appearance - Options and also by clicking direct on the pet in /opt/lxpup-xtras

Both seemed to work fine for me and survived after a reboot and savefile creation.

Are you running as a frugal install with a reasonable size savefile created?

If wbar is not found in a terminal then that sounds as though the pet is not installed.....did you install the pet before or after savefile creation?

All I can suggest is that you install the pet again.

Sorry you are having problems and that I can't replicate them.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(67.74 KiB) Downloaded 1096 times

Senza Vega

#95 Post by Senza Vega »

Hello peebee,
don't be sorry, your work is very appreciate !
So, I tried to reinstall wbar by the menu via Desktop - Change Appearance - Options", and it works now !

don't know how, very thanks for your help !