LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

Re: Remaster Did Not Produce an ISO (says it did)

#586 Post by peebee »

johnywhy wrote:Hi

On LxPupTahr, i ran the remastering program. I chose the correct options to produce an iso file. At the end, it says the ISO was created.

But there's no ISO. See screenshot.

Remastering on this pup installation worked for me previously. I made an ISO earlier today with no problem.

Then i added/removed various packages from my live pup, using "remove built-in packages" and "package manager" apps.

I don't know if this is related, but I noticed the dependency checker says i'm missing "libntfs-3g841", but i cannot find this package in the package manager, nor in http://packages.ubuntu.com.

However, "which ntfs-3g" returns "/bin/ntfs-3g".

sda2 is an ext2 partition.

thx!
I've never done a remaster so am not in a good position to advise. Suggest you post on a "remastering" thread if you can find one that's been active recently - but again you must provide a lot more detail of your problem - exactly how is your system configured (what kind of install on what media etc) and what packages you had added and removed? If it worked previously then it must be something you did subsequently that stopped it working again.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mikeslr

Workaround for Remaster not producing ISO

#587 Post by mikeslr »

I don't have the scripting skills to figure out or fix the failure of the built in remaster to create an ISO.

Pending that solution, there's a workaround you could try,

Remaster left the puppylivecdbuild on your sda2 drive. You can install and use shinobar's dir2iso, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 748#638748.

mikeslr

p.s. My ignorance is often a cause for optimism: I could hope that installing dir2iso will write-in or overwrite the missing/broken "write to iso" part of remaster's script. On the other hand, dir2iso may depend on that script being installed and functional and not work at all.
Or more than just remaster's write iso routine is broken, and so consequently will be the Pup generated by dir2iso.

Gobbi

Re: Experimental LxPup-15.04

#588 Post by Gobbi »

peebee wrote:
LxPup-15.04 with kernel 3.19.2-emsee-32-pae

- Frisbee / dhcpd / network_tray (latest versions)
Frugal install on my desktop , posting from it using a wireless RTL 8187 dongle with Frisbee . The tray icon seems to be the 'network wizard' s one but right clicking on it opens Frisbee .
Having some troubles with both hdmi ( amd's videocard) sound and analog ( realtek mobo's ) sound outputs . Headphone sound works though ...
Using the ati driver as seen in first settings window , and was able to switch to 1920x1080 . Hardinfo shows Mesa driver at work .
I'll keep testing it ...

jd7654

#589 Post by jd7654 »

LxPup is a very nice puppy derivative!

Tested and working well on a few machines: Lenovo R60, Acer ZG5 and some generic clones.

Just a couple of minor differences I notice compared to other puppies like Precise, Slacko, Tahr or X-slacko:

- .4fs save files do not automatically mount and open when clicked on like .2fs/.3fs files.

- don't have a file delete option only a "Move to Trash" option, so that in order to cleanly remove any changes from a drive you have to move to trash, empty trash, and then maybe also delete the .Trash-0 directory that pops up on the drive.

peebee

#590 Post by peebee »

jd7654 wrote:LxPup is a very nice puppy derivative!

Tested and working well on a few machines: Lenovo R60, Acer ZG5 and some generic clones.

Just a couple of minor differences I notice compared to other puppies like Precise, Slacko, Tahr or X-slacko:

- .4fs save files do not automatically mount and open when clicked on like .2fs/.3fs files.

- don't have a file delete option only a "Move to Trash" option, so that in order to cleanly remove any changes from a drive you have to move to trash, empty trash, and then maybe also delete the .Trash-0 directory that pops up on the drive.
Hi jd7654

Thanks for your report - sorry its taken me a little time to investigate - you are correct wrt .4fs files and I am flummoxed!!

As far as I know, I haven't made any changes that would affect .4fs differently to .2fs/.3fs files - but it is the case that rox opens .4fs files but pcmanfm doesn't.

So the fix is to use rox from the menu -> Filesystem to get to the .4fs and when you click on it pcmanfm will open with the contents.

When I have time I will try to find the reason and a fix....

The fix for a right click permanent delete is to add the optional right-clicks package from
menu -> desktop appearance -> options

In pcmanfm there is also a remove option in the edit menu - so select the file you want to delete and then use that.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jd7654

#591 Post by jd7654 »

peebee wrote: Hi jd7654

Thanks for your report - sorry its taken me a little time to investigate - you are correct wrt .4fs files and I am flummoxed!!

As far as I know, I haven't made any changes that would affect .4fs differently to .2fs/.3fs files - but it is the case that rox opens .4fs files but pcmanfm doesn't.

So the fix is to use rox from the menu -> Filesystem to get to the .4fs and when you click on it pcmanfm will open with the contents.

When I have time I will try to find the reason and a fix....

The fix for a right click permanent delete is to add the optional right-clicks package from
menu -> desktop appearance -> options

In pcmanfm there is also a remove option in the edit menu - so select the file you want to delete and then use that.

Cheers
peebee

No problem, just some casual observations.

Don't know how many people open up and look into their save files, I just happened to be doing it troubleshooting something else. Not a big deal, didn't mean to send you off on a snipe hunt. Playing with Puppies is mainly recreational for me. :wink:

Thanks for the tips on PCManFM, both worked like a charm!

johnywhy

#592 Post by johnywhy »

hello

So far, LxPup the winning puppy :)

xfce is more ambitious, but lxde seems more stable :)

question, i exited lx to prompt, and ran 'xwin jwm'. Now i can't seem to get back to lxde.

i tried 'exec lxde', but does not work.

when i reboot, i go back into jwm, instead of lxde. also, i keep getting a message that says something like "desktop manager is not active".

Can you help?

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

peebee

#593 Post by peebee »

johnywhy wrote:So far, LxPup the winning puppy :)
question, i exited lx to prompt, and ran 'xwin jwm'. Now i can't seem to get back to lxde.
The command is:

Code: Select all

xwin startlxde
For Slacko flavours only -NOT LxPupTahr:
Have you tried the DE Switcher in
menu -> Desktop appearance -> Options

There is a JWM switch available. Use the DE Switcher to return to LXDE.
There are also XFCE modules available to download and switch to.
Cheers!

clasico3124

#594 Post by clasico3124 »

hello
why dont you adapt icq original like skype original version
icq exist portable version
and take a look this
http://www.icq.com/download/linux/es
well i hope this help a little
byeeeeee

peebee

#595 Post by peebee »

peebee wrote:When I have time I will try to find the reason and a fix....
OK reason = missing line from /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

Fix - run in terminal:

echo "application/x-ext4-image=filemnt.desktop" >> /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
Will be fixed properly in next build.

defaults.list comes from the base Puppy used to build LxPup - the line is missing in both Slacko and TahrPup.

Has been corrected "up-stream" in WoofCE by Mavrothal (thanks) - https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 0503d9e499

Thanks
peebee

jd7654

#596 Post by jd7654 »

peebee wrote: OK reason = missing line from /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
Fix - run in terminal:

echo "application/x-ext4-image=filemnt.desktop" >> /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
Aha, yes, that fixes it!
I inserted that into defaults.list and it worked immediately. Figured it was something simple like a file association. I was searching for a ".4fs" somewhere (ala windows mindset) but couldn't find.

<snip>

johnywhy

#597 Post by johnywhy »

hi,

i have a frugal LxPrecise and a stock Precise as frugal installs in separate folders on the same partition.

Problem, when i booted LxPrecise, it used the SaveFile from the stock Precise.

I tried to switch to LXDE, but 'start LXDE' did not work. Also, no good because it pulled in all my settings from the stock Precise.

fyi
thx!
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#598 Post by johnywhy »

hello

thx for all the puppy's!

Issue: in a new LxPrecise (no save file), when i right-click a menu item, and choose "add to desktop", nothing gets added to the desktop. Later, i changed my wallpaper, and was able to do this.

Issue: If i right-click on the desktop, and create a shortcut, and put a terminal command into the shortcut, the terminal command does not get executed when i click on the shortcut. I tested the command in a terminal to confirm it works.

thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

peebee

#599 Post by peebee »

johnywhy wrote:Issue: in a new LxPrecise (no save file), when i right-click a menu item, and choose "add to desktop", nothing gets added to the desktop. Later, i changed my wallpaper, and was able to do this.

Issue: If i right-click on the desktop, and create a shortcut, and put a terminal command into the shortcut, the terminal command does not get executed when i click on the shortcut. I tested the command in a terminal to confirm it works.

thx!
Hi - please always specify exactly which LxPup you are using.

Just tested LxPupPrecise-15.02.1-retro

and it works fine - you do need to install the optional right-clicks package to enable shortcut editing.
johnywhy wrote:Problem, when i booted LxPrecise, it used the SaveFile from the stock Precise.
Suggest you put psubdir=<your folder name> into your menu.lst boot parameters.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture24358.png
(85.42 KiB) Downloaded 639 times

johnywhy

#600 Post by johnywhy »

peebee wrote: Hi - please always specify exactly which LxPup you are using.
LxPrecise Non-Retro, just downloaded yesterday from your repository.

LxPupPrecise-14.02-pae-sp1.iso
you do need to install the optional right-clicks package to enable shortcut editing.
Thx, will research how. Request, if possible, include that in the iso?
Suggest you put psubdir=<your folder name> into your menu.lst boot parameters.
Just checked, and it already is there. But that did not prevent LxPrecise from using the save-file from a frugal stock Precise in a different folder.

Here's the grub entry:

title Puppy lxprecise 14.02 (sda1/LxPrecise)
  kernel /LxPrecise/vmlinuz   psubdir=LxPrecise pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /LxPrecise/initrd.gz
Note, the problem is booting a new LxPrecise install (created by manually copying files off the .iso into a folder, and then running Grub4Dos to detect it). So, this is an LxPrecise with no save-file created yet.

Just a thought, since 'frugal' install is an essential puppy thing, seems like puppy should know to ignore other frugals, imo.

thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

peebee

#601 Post by peebee »

johnywhy wrote:LxPupPrecise-14.02-pae-sp1.iso

Request, if possible, include that in the iso?

Just a thought, since 'frugal' install is an essential puppy thing, seems like puppy should know to ignore other frugals, imo.

thx!
That's an old version - 14.02 = Feb 2014 - hasn't been updated for some time - I really expect people to use the LxPupTahr versions non-retro pae.....I keep the non-pae retro version more up to date as that has a place for older hardware with an older kernel.

The Right Clicks option is included in the iso (however its an old version in LxPupPrecise-14.02) - menu -> desktop appearance -> options

Your boot should not be picking up savefiles belonging to other pups - different names - can't explain why it is - never does on my installs....

Precise flavours of LxPup can be found at:
http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-precise.html
Last edited by peebee on Tue 14 Apr 2015, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

johnywhy

#602 Post by johnywhy »

Thx, can you give link to newest LxPrecise?

Tahr is newer, but I prefer Precise because it is peppier.

UPDATE: just letting peeps know that in private message with peebee, we figured out i am running the latest LxPrecise PAE, and there are no plans to update it. Sad, since to me Precise seems noticeably faster than Tahr. Planning to try Unicorn....

thx!
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#603 Post by johnywhy »

why i prefer lxprecise to lxtahr: stuff works.

lxtahr:

- after first reboot with save, frisbee did not auto connect, nor even load available networks. see pic showing could not connect on lxTarh. (might be cuz i need to blacklist wl module, dint check yet).

- could not load virtualbox sfs. see pic of error message trying to open virtualbox on lxTarh.

lxprecise: both worked, no problem. see pic showing good connection and vbox on lxPrecise.

pics in reverse order.
Attachments
lxprecise.png
(188.96 KiB) Downloaded 871 times
vbox.png
(13.83 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
frisbee.png
(56.85 KiB) Downloaded 881 times
Last edited by johnywhy on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

#604 Post by johnywhy »

hi again, and many thx for LxPups! (i made a small donation on http://lx-pup.weebly.com/)
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

Weird Is Bloat Coming From?

#605 Post by johnywhy »

something is making my psave file balloon to 1.5 GB. See pic.

I can't find the source of the bigness.

Only one small app (treesize) installed by ppm. See pic.

One sfs (teamviewer) see pic.

Size of my filesys is less than a meg, size of /root is less than 50 MB. see pic.

How can i find source of bigness?

thx!
Attachments
mysave size.png
(69.25 KiB) Downloaded 762 times
ppm.png
(25.62 KiB) Downloaded 758 times
sfs.png
(17.47 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
file sys tree.png
(72.31 KiB) Downloaded 761 times
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]