LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#511 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:@peebee: Could you also try the old mpscan and see if it helps?
Hi rcrsn51

Installed the old-mpscan on my laptop (is that right - haven't changed my desktop.....)

Tried earlier - needed 1 wake to kick the desktop into action

Tried just now - needed 2 wakes

The other share that always comes up instantly is a usb stick plugged into my wifi router.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-01-18.png
(14.38 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
Screenshot_2015-01-18(1).png
(14.01 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rcrsn51

#512 Post by rcrsn51 »

[Edit] Discussion moved to here.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

pchan

#513 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51

I installed mpscan too. but I cannot find it in the program menu so I couldn't test it.

Much as I love LxTahr, I am worried that my old net book might not be so suitable for Tahr or all the newer Slackos because of driver issues.

I am going back to some older Puppies. if in case i do get a chance to own a newer laptop, I will definitely come back to Lxtahr. LxTahr is one of the finest Puppy Linux i have seen.

I will definitely be testing YASSM with whichever older Puppies I am going to try out.

Peebee,

Keep up the good work! I am sure many with newer laptops will get a good chance to experience the unique ness of puppy linux. Those with newer laptop will not know what they are missing if they haven't tried Lxtahr.

eadmaster

#514 Post by eadmaster »

can you make an SFS for the Trinity Desktop Environment R14?
Installing from the official repos is a real pain (lot of packages and space required, slow download)...

peebee

#515 Post by peebee »

eadmaster wrote:can you make an SFS for the Trinity Desktop Environment R14?
Installing from the official repos is a real pain (lot of packages and space required, slow download)...
Very sorry - not something I would want to devote time to.....maybe somebody else will???
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pchan

#516 Post by pchan »

peebee,

Here i am again. Lxtahr 14.12 is back alive in my old MSI U270 netbook.

Thanks to rcrsn51, all the problems I brought up was solved.

Also, I like to Thank you for providing the options to save or not save during shutdown.

This feature just saved me from a lot of troubles.

Before installing the latest YASSM 2.7, I thought I had to uninstall the old YASSM. I did just that and then I panicked because after clicking on the new YASSM 2.7 pet, I couldn't find YASSM anywhere in the program menu. I realized that the YASSM 2.7 that I downloaded was meant to be an update but it was too late.

I remembered that I could perhaps just poweroff and choose "no save" in order to get the YASSM back on the program menu. I did just that and sure enough YASSM was back in the program menu on the next boot up. I then proceeded to update the latest YASSM 2.7 without uninstalling the old YASSM. The "Save or no save option" is like a simple reset.

I am so glad that LxTahr 14.12 can run well in my old netbook. It is surely one of the outstanding Puppy I have ever used. Thanks also to 666philb and Barry K. Also, I have learnt that when rcrsn51 speaks, it would be wise to pay serious attention. A real problem solver!

Thanks!

rcrsn51

#517 Post by rcrsn51 »

The YASSM 2.7 PET has a post-install script that deletes previous YASSMs, because the program names all changed.

totolanio

#518 Post by totolanio »

peebee, do you know how can I change the icon from a .sh ? or from the shortcut I made using pcmanfm (edit/make a link) ?

peebee

#519 Post by peebee »

totolanio wrote:peebee, do you know how can I change the icon from a .sh ? or from the shortcut I made using pcmanfm (edit/make a link) ?
Hi totolanio

Don't think you can change the icons of those....

Suggest you create a .desktop file - you can copy a suitable one from /usr/share/applications and then edit it (right click edit with)

e.g. /usr/share/applications/Abiword-wordprocessor.desktop

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Abiword word processor
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/write.svg
Comment=Abiword word processor
Exec=abiword
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WordProcessor
GenericName=Abiword
Pup-Sys-Info -> Sys-Apps -> Gtk icons
will help locate some icons - Pfind will find their path for you

Cheers
peebee

totolanio

#520 Post by totolanio »

Thank you, you're awesome !

peebee

#521 Post by peebee »

totolanio wrote:peebee, do you know how can I change the icon from a .sh ? or from the shortcut I made using pcmanfm (edit/make a link) ?
Please also see this thread where I've posted a lx-make-shortcut pet....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 511#823511

festus

Thanks for lxpuptahr distro

#522 Post by festus »

Hello, all. I installed lxpuptahr-14.12.1-pae on a dell inspiron laptop, and now this is my main OS. On another partition, I run debian 7.8; I like it but this pup is something else, to say the least.

The only thing that didn't work, OOTB, was burning an audio CD with pburn. I fixed that by unpacking ffmpeg into /usr/bin; I found it here>
http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/

I also deleted palemoon and installed firefox, because I use bleachbit and it detects and deletes the firefox data and not the palemoon stuff. Is there any way to use a symlink from palemoon to firefox?
I tried this> ln -s .palemoon .firefox however, it didn't work.
I'd probably rather use palemoon, but this issue was what caused me to use ffx.

I also installed it on an old, 2001 athlon-box, and it didn't detect or setup my audio card correctly. I don't know if it can be fixed or is even worth bothering with?

Thank you, peebee, and any other developers, for this fine distro. :D

festus

Volhout

Volume control

#523 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

Any idea how to make the volume/mute keys work on my EEEPC. The screen brightness keys work.
I found something on alsaplayer, but does that also work on retrovol ?

Regards,

Volhout

peebee

Re: Volume control

#524 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Hi PeeBee,

Any idea how to make the volume/mute keys work on my EEEPC. The screen brightness keys work.

Regards,

Volhout
Hi Volhout

Please see this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96044

Don't think retrovol has the necessary command line options.....
Last edited by peebee on Wed 28 Jan 2015, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

totolanio

#525 Post by totolanio »

Peebee, if you make a new version of lxpup, I won't have to set up all my stuff from my savefile/savefolder right ?
It will work right away ?

peebee

#526 Post by peebee »

totolanio wrote:Peebee, if you make a new version of lxpup, I won't have to set up all my stuff from my savefile/savefolder right ?
It will work right away ?
Hi totolanio

A savefile/folder will generally upgrade successfully so long as the new version is of the same "family" and "generation".....

For instance if you are running LxPupTahr then upgrading to newer versions of LxPupThar should go smoothly.

The same isn't true if the generation changes - e.g. Slacko5.7 to Slacko6 was a big change and upgrades may or probably may not work successfully.

The safe way to tell though is to copy your savefile/folder to a new separate frugal install with the new system files and try it - if it works great - if it doesn't just delete the save copy and either stick with your old version or start rebuilding the new version.

Good idea to keep a copy of what changes you make over time....just in case you need to rebuild....

Cheers
peebee

p.s. my desktop is still running LxPup14.03 (very succesfully) as that's where I've invested the most setup effort. As a result I'm still on an old version of Chromium and that may be the component that eventually forces me to upgrade...

Volhout

#527 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

First I have tested the commands in terminal. These work.When I open the slider (loudspeaker icon bottom right) I see it move up and down when typing the commands.

I have modified the rc.xml file (after verifying that the volume up and down button actually are FN+F12 and FN+F11 on my UK keyboard), but after saving the modified file (I made sure the modifications are in the section around line 308), and restart of the WM, it did not work.

In the reference you gave was a a different key identification (XF86AudioRaiseVolume). Tried that too, but that did not work either.

Other key bindings however do work (A-TAB for switching windows).

I am still trying to find the solution, but could use some help.

Volhout

peebee wrote:
Volhout wrote:Hi PeeBee,

Regards,

Volhout
Hi Volhout

Please see this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96044

Don't think retrovol has the necessary command line options.....

peebee

#528 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote: but could use some help.
Volhout
Hi Volhout

There is another rc.xml in /root/.config/openbox

Try editing that at line 325 and then restart the window manager

My edited version is attached (remove false .gz)

Fn f9 toggles sound
Fn f11 decreases sound
Fn f12 increases sound

on my laptop
Attachments
rc.xml.gz
(25.38 KiB) Downloaded 420 times

BobSongs

5gbfree ?

#529 Post by BobSongs »

This site:

http://peebee.5gbfree.com/share/lxpup/eye-candy/

is where my browser tries to go when I click "Downloads" in the LxPup Appearance Changer.

However the link's is 404'd.

Is there a replacement link?

Thanks!

peebee

Re: 5gbfree ?

#530 Post by peebee »

BobSongs wrote:This site:

http://peebee.5gbfree.com/share/lxpup/eye-candy/

is where my browser tries to go when I click "Downloads" in the LxPup Appearance Changer.

However the link's is 404'd.

Is there a replacement link?

Thanks!
Hi BobSongs

You must be running an old version of LxPup....

The new link is:
http://lx-pup.weebly.com/eye-candy.html

Cheers
peebee