LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rcrsn51

#496 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent!

Here is the situation. If you give YASSM-login the server name HAM, it must use smbclient to find the shares. But on some networks, this fails. Other users have seen this problem.

But if you supply the server's IP address instead, smbclient can go directly to the server and identify the shares.

This is probably why Thunar asks for an IP address - it is a safer way to find shares.

I am building a new version of YASSM that will work better in this situation. Once YASSM-search finds the HAM server, it will send its IP adress to YASSM-login instead of the server name.

gcmartin

No LAN DNS/WINS exist nor election for PUP's name resolving

#497 Post by gcmartin »

This is one of the problems already identified in the "Centralization ..." thread in 2014.

This is a DNS issue on the LAN for its resources. Windows solved this as far back as Windows95. In PUPs, it has been traditional that the election process is a nonparticipant for PUPs. This, making it impossible to use Netbios/Netbuie naming to find resources from PUPs.

To resolve this a LAN location MUST be set as authoritative and PCs MUST elect/use it so that hostnames can be resolved.

In SAMBA3/SAMBA4/SAMBA-tng, WINS can be activated to resolve this but requires a DNS handling to manage this at the server level so that the LAN PCs (including in this case @PCan's PC) can find all LAN resources via hostname versus having to know IP addresses.

PUPPY needs to do 1 of the 2 items to resolve this:
  • a LAN resource with a constant LAN server subsystem addressing this
  • a feature in your router addressing this
@JamesBond, indirectly demonstrated about 4-5 years ago. DNSMASQ has all the marbles to do hostname-IP address resolution for LAN resources, but, again, it too must be set to do the DNS efforts necessary assuming the DNSMASQ PC is NOT doing DHCP at any level. It the DNSMASQ PC is set to do DHCP, its DNS ability comes along with little to no work necessary and thus, can easily be the central "elected official" on the LAN for resource locations and their hostnames.

Anyway, @PCan (and couple others in the past) has highlighted the need for this to be addressed as we move PUPs on the LAN into every location where PUPs are to be used for discovery or management of the resources we have on our LANs. This is going to become ever important as we are ALL adding more and more resources to our home facilities which need connection services; wired or wireless.

Also, DNSMASQ is discussed here in Puppyland

Hope this helps.

rcrsn51

#498 Post by rcrsn51 »

@pchan: I am sending you a copy of YASSM v2.7 to test. Please check your messages.

BTW, are you running a firewall on your Puppy machine?

pchan

#499 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:@pchan: I am sending you a copy of YASSM v2.7 to test. Please check your messages.

OK, Thanks

I will try it and report back soon.

pchan

#500 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:@pchan: I am sending you a copy of YASSM v2.7 to test. Please check your messages.

rcrsn51,

I have just tried YASSM 2.7

I simply start YASSM Samba search

Clicked on rescan

(after 5 or 6 times, it found hidden@HAM. Previous version, I could click on the "wake" button and it will find HAM. It has also found a few other Windows samba servers with their share folders connected to the same router.)

Then when I select "hidden@HAM," it takes me to a dialog box with HAM's SAMBA server address ... 192.168.x.xxx (<---- nice!!!)

All i have to do, was ... enter my user and password .... then click "Mount" button.

Immediately, pcfileman opens up with all the contents inside the sdcard folder of HAM. No more hidden!!

Great improvement I must say! Congratualtion!

Just, if possible, give us the good old "wake" button. :roll:

rcrsn51

#501 Post by rcrsn51 »

Removed.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#502 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:You are the first person to report that the Wake button actually does something useful! Here is the history.
+1 - I need to use wake quite regularly to kick the share on my desktop visible from my laptop - both wifi connected via my router.....never thought the need to mention before, but I would comment if it went missing ;-)
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rcrsn51

#503 Post by rcrsn51 »

@peebee: Could you also try the old mpscan and see if it helps?

simes

Add programs to launch bar

#504 Post by simes »

One small oddity in lxpup; when bringing up commands using the start button, right-clicking gives the options 'Add to desktop' and 'Add to launch bar'. Both work but icons added to the launch bar are not saved to the next session, whilst items saved to desktop are. It would be useful to be able to add programs to the launch bar and have them saved permanently.

I have to say, though, that when this is the biggest problem I have with lxpup14-12, this is a really really good Puppy variant. Many thanks.

peebee

Re: Add programs to launch bar

#505 Post by peebee »

simes wrote:icons added to the launch bar are not saved to the next session,
Hi simes

Thanks for reporting this - you are right - not really sure why it happens, but you can "fix" the change by:

- right clicking on the panel at a blank spot

- panel -> panel settings -> Panel Applets tab -> Application launchbar -> Edit button

- then just close all the windows

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

save2flash desktop icon

#506 Post by peebee »

as discussed:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=97326

if you are running off usb flash drive....

please test the attached pet (for inclusion in options in next release)

Thanks
Attachments
lx_save2flash-1.pet
(475 Bytes) Downloaded 169 times

Marv

#507 Post by Marv »

@peebee,
The save2flash pet works in both LxPupTahr and LxPupUnicorn (frugal install to CF card or SSD). It's pretty much what I've put in my applications dir. for many other pups as well with no problems other than where I've had to update yaf-splash in some. A good addition. I add it to the main menu just above Session control in the Lx pups as a rule.

Edit: As an aside, I'm running LxPupUnicorn 15.1.01 as the 'daily driver' on both my core 2 duo laptop and on one of the Bay-Trail boxes at the farm with no real quirks or issues other than the 'brightness' one and and some multimedia tweaks. Stability and speed are good. I switched the farm box to that from X-slacko 2.3.2n whilst chasing some oddities in their home network and decided to see how Kevin does with the Unicorn. I get pretty good feedback from him and the other pups are there as fallback. Aaah Grub4Dos frugals :)
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

simes

How to stop filesystem checks on every boot

#508 Post by simes »

My LXPUP installation (frugal install on an internal IDE HDD) insists on doing a filesystem check on the lxtahr sfs file and on my .4fs save file at every boot. This doubles boot time and I would like to switch the checks off, only doing the check occasionally. I know this behaviour used to be controlled by the pfix=fsck command in the boot script, but it seems the behaviour has changed; I haven't specified pfix=fsck but I still get both files checked every time. Sorry if I have missed an explanation of this, but can someone advise how to turn off the filesystem check, please?

peebee

Re: How to stop filesystem checks on every boot

#509 Post by peebee »

simes wrote:My LXPUP installation (frugal install on an internal IDE HDD) insists on doing a filesystem check on the lxtahr sfs file and on my .4fs save file at every boot. This doubles boot time and I would like to switch the checks off, only doing the check occasionally. I know this behaviour used to be controlled by the pfix=fsck command in the boot script, but it seems the behaviour has changed; I haven't specified pfix=fsck but I still get both files checked every time. Sorry if I have missed an explanation of this, but can someone advise how to turn off the filesystem check, please?
Hi simes

Done some tests and am unable to replicate your problem.

I boot with grub4dos - what do you use?
I always boot with pfix=fsck
I never get fsck's on the puppy sfs
If using a savefile (usually 2fs but increasingly rare these days with savefolders taking precedent) then fsck runs if the pfix is on the boot line, doesn't run if I remove the pfix
Only get fsck of the whole disk if I've closed down untidily during testing something

My menu.lst entry is below.

I can only think that there is something in your closedown procedure that is leaving the disk in a state where the boot sequence thinks that fsck is needed - but no idea what that could be!

Maybe post your problem with more detail of your exact setup in a more general thread?

Cheers
peebee

Code: Select all

title Main (sda2/pupmain)
  uuid 91e027f5-cb6e-40fe-964c-76f2e2971845
  kernel /pupmain/vmlinuz  pmedia=atahd psubdir=pupmain pfix=fsck
  initrd /pupmain/initrd.gz

simes

Re: How to stop filesystem checks on every boot

#510 Post by simes »

peebee wrote: I can only think that there is something in your closedown procedure that is leaving the disk in a state where the boot sequence thinks that fsck is needed - but no idea what that could be!
Thanks again, peebee. That was the clue I needed. The problem was caused in shutdown, and I should have realised. I had reverted to an old rc.shutdown script because the current script (not unique to LXPUP) has re-introduced an old problem, of shutdown hanging for 5 minutes if there is a SAMBA share mounted (as there often is here, I use a SAMBA fileserver). The old rc.shutdown script performed a fast shutdown but evidently left untidiness. I have 'reverted' to the current script and will post about the SAMBA share problem in a more general forum.

peebee

#511 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:@peebee: Could you also try the old mpscan and see if it helps?
Hi rcrsn51

Installed the old-mpscan on my laptop (is that right - haven't changed my desktop.....)

Tried earlier - needed 1 wake to kick the desktop into action

Tried just now - needed 2 wakes

The other share that always comes up instantly is a usb stick plugged into my wifi router.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-01-18.png
(14.38 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
Screenshot_2015-01-18(1).png
(14.01 KiB) Downloaded 706 times

rcrsn51

#512 Post by rcrsn51 »

[Edit] Discussion moved to here.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

pchan

#513 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51

I installed mpscan too. but I cannot find it in the program menu so I couldn't test it.

Much as I love LxTahr, I am worried that my old net book might not be so suitable for Tahr or all the newer Slackos because of driver issues.

I am going back to some older Puppies. if in case i do get a chance to own a newer laptop, I will definitely come back to Lxtahr. LxTahr is one of the finest Puppy Linux i have seen.

I will definitely be testing YASSM with whichever older Puppies I am going to try out.

Peebee,

Keep up the good work! I am sure many with newer laptops will get a good chance to experience the unique ness of puppy linux. Those with newer laptop will not know what they are missing if they haven't tried Lxtahr.

eadmaster

#514 Post by eadmaster »

can you make an SFS for the Trinity Desktop Environment R14?
Installing from the official repos is a real pain (lot of packages and space required, slow download)...

peebee

#515 Post by peebee »

eadmaster wrote:can you make an SFS for the Trinity Desktop Environment R14?
Installing from the official repos is a real pain (lot of packages and space required, slow download)...
Very sorry - not something I would want to devote time to.....maybe somebody else will???