LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
totolanio

#481 Post by totolanio »

peebee wrote:
totolanio wrote:You could add (and every puppy linux should) an update notifier which tell us when you update LXPup so we download the newest version (unless it's useless to change ) !
Just put a link to your website in it !
Hi

Just "watch" this topic - all updates are announced here - you can receive an email whenever anybody posts to the topic....

I'm not a fan of systems that connect to the internet of their own volition and anyway with wifi a connection may not be established for some time after booting.....
why not making it optionnal ? ok i'll watch this topic... but i'll receive email for messages i don't need too
also, some people might just download lxpup and never go to the forums, that's not user friendly
user friendliness = more visibility and success !

PS : did you remove something called "radsky LDD" from tahrpup ??
PS2 : i like lxpup :d

peebee

#482 Post by peebee »

totolanio wrote:PS : did you remove something called "radsky LDD" from tahrpup ??
PS2 : i like lxpup :d
ps1: nope - I don't remove anything from tahrpup - http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95935 ??

ps2: thank you
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pchan

#483 Post by pchan »

Hi peebee,

I am interested to try LxTahr...

However, when I typed > smb://192.168.x.xxx in pcfileman address bar in order to connect to my android device running ssamba server, I failed to connect.

I read YASSM tutorial and tried everything yet I failed to connect to my samba server on my android device.

Connecting to my android device is important to me because I often send files and copy files between my netbook and my android device.

Really appreciate if there is anyway that you could add this feature in the pcfileman of Lxtahr.

Thanks.

peebee

#484 Post by peebee »

pchan wrote:Hi peebee,
I read YASSM tutorial and tried everything yet I failed to connect to my samba server on my android device.
Hi

This feature is not included because every Puppy (I think) has YASSM and this works well for me.....

Do you see your Android share in Network -> Network -> YASSM Samba Share Search?

Do you enter the correct login details after clicking Select?

Once you've connected, the share will appear in PcManFM - the only thing to note is that unmounting should be done through YASSM rather than PcManFM....

Please persevere with YASSM - it does work....

Cheers
peebee

p.s. if you really want to try adding gvfs samba support try (untested):
http://pkgs.org/archlinux/archlinux-ext ... ar.xz.html

after download, rename from .tar.xz to .txz and click on it to install
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pchan

#485 Post by pchan »

peebee wrote:
pchan wrote:
Do you see your Android share in Network -> Network -> YASSM Samba Share Search?

Do you enter the correct login details after clicking Select?

Once you've connected, the share will appear in PcManFM - the only thing to note is that unmounting should be done through YASSM rather than PcManFM....
I see hidden@HAM (<--- my android ssid)

I enter my User and password.

Sometimes, I managed to get a folder or 2 under the name of HAM mounted but then when I look inside the folder, it is empty.

In place of hidden@HAM, I also tried entering manually the SAMBA server address 192.168.x.xxx but failed. I tried HAM?192.168.x.xxx but failed

I tried a few command lines using Terminal > mount cif ........ but failed.

I googled and found that some other Linux users were having a hard time mounting drives on samba servers with windows 7 because windows 7 uses ntfs formatted drives.

The sdcard in my android device that I am trying to connect to through samba uses fat32. I wonder if this could be the case. Using WIndows 7 and X-precise, I could easily connect to the FAT32 formated SDcard in my Android device by typing in > smb://192.168.x.xxx inside thunar file manager. With Windows explorer, I just use \\192.168.x.xxx

I will try downloading and installing the file, gvfs-smb-1.22.2-4-i686.pkg.tar.xz and report back

thanks peebee.

rcrsn51

#486 Post by rcrsn51 »

@pchan:

In the YASSM Search screen, you see "hidden@HAM". Select it.

In the Login screen, enter your username and password. Click Shares. Do you get a list of shares?

Select a share and click Mount. Does that work?

If not, enter the Option "sec=ntlm" and mount again.

When you connect through X-Precise, what information do you provide?

pchan

#487 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:@pchan:

In the YASSM Search screen, you see "hidden@HAM". Select it.

In the Login screen, enter your username and password. Click Shares. Do you get a list of shares?

Select a share and click Mount. Does that work?

If not, enter the Option "sec=ntlm" and mount again.

When you connect through X-Precise, what information do you provide?
Hi rcrsn51,

I selected "hidden@HAM" then clicked on Shares. A few seconds later a screen pop up with "none" (shares on HAM).

Next, I entered "sec=ntlm" in the Options, click Shares, waited a few seconds. I get a pop up box and it says "none" (shares on HAM).

In x-slacko, I would enter "smb://192.168.0.101 in the address bar of Thunar file manager. Then a dialog box pop up where I enter User and password. The on the file manager the folder called "sdcard" appear in thunar file manager. I click on the folder "sdcard" and another dialog box pop up asking for user and password again. After entering user and password, all the contents inside the sdcard folder appears. I could then send or copy files back and forth. The sdcard of my android device becomes like an internal drive until I unmount it from Thunar file manager.

But my android samba server doesn't seems to cooperate with YASSM so well.

!!!! EDIT : I finally succeeded !!! YAY!

Instead of clicking on shares, I

User: xxx
Password: xxx
shares : sdcard
server: HAM
options: sec=ntlm

Click mount instead of Shares ---> All the contents of my sdcard appeared in pcfileman (/root/YASSM/sdcard@HAM)

THANKS rcrsn51! THANKS FOR --- > "sec=ntlm"

I spent so many hours but "sec=ntlm" did the magic.

Thanks peebee

Oh, .... I think I will not install "gvfs-smb-1.22.2-4-i686.pkg.tar.xz" at the moment since YASSM is working.

Thanks for encouraging me to persevere.

peebee

#488 Post by peebee »

pchan wrote:!!!! EDIT : I finally succeeded !!! YAY!
THANKS rcrsn51! THANKS FOR --- > "sec=ntlm"
I spent so many hours but "sec=ntlm" did the magic.
Thanks peebee
Excellent - thanks indeed to rcrsn51 - just remember to unmount via YASSM rather than PcManFM (it works but sends processor into 100% overload - cured by restarting the window manager).

pchan

#489 Post by pchan »

peebee wrote: .... unmount via YASSM[/b] rather than PcManFM (it works but sends processor into 100% overload - cured by restarting the window manager).
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

----

rcrsn51 ,

At the moment I am very happy that YASSM worked its magic.

But I do worry about what happens if i didn't know the name of the shares folder on samba server.

The share folder on my android samba seems to "hide" very well from discovery when i clicked on the "shares" button. "sigh"

At this moment, I am not sure I will need to deal with any situation where I do not know the share folder's name on the samba server. I am just happy that YASSM worked well with the "sec=ntlm" trick (I don't even know what this strings of command stands for...but it works!) Thanks for the great program and the guidance.

rcrsn51

#490 Post by rcrsn51 »

pchan wrote: but "sec=ntlm" did the magic.
This option is required with servers that are using an old, obsolete security protocol. I am surprised that Android still uses it.

I don't know why the Share button does not find your shares. From the command line, run the following. Replace "xxx" with your username and "yyy" with your password.

Code: Select all

smbclient -U xxx%yyy -gL HAM
[Edit] I ran YASSM in Tahrpup with a "hidden" Win7 share. The Share button worked and the share mounted correctly.

pchan

#491 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51

Did this ...

Code: Select all

smbclient -U xxx%yyy -gL HAM
Failed to find share folders on samba server.

Tried again few times again in LxTahr 14.12 ... clicked "Shares" button.

"None" each time.

But once I enter the folder name plus the "sec=ntlm .. Click MOUNT button -- >

The magic happens!

All the contents appear almost instantly in Pcfileman !

Well ... Will need to go somewhere for now but I will check back later .... and try any other commands that you think might help to reveal the deeeeply hidden share folders of my Android samba server.

Thanks! Right now, I am happy enough that I can use LxTahr and YASSM to send and copy files between my netbook and Android device. To be able to connect different devices together really makes so much different in the time that we live in.

YASSM is a wonderful tool and you have helped so many people who are trying to stay away from Windows and not become over dependent on Windows.

peebee,

LxTahr is a wonderful, fast, easy to use well made Puppy OS. I must say I am also very surprised with the new Puppy Tahr. Though, I haven't used this version of Puppy long enough yet but I have very good initial impression of Tahr. I am glad that I decided to give it a try and i did so because the Lxde windows environment is nicely added into Tahr.

I do still love X-slacko / x-precise puppies very much because rg66 has made it in such a way that a noob, computer challenged person like me can avoid messing the System up by choosing the "NO Save" option during shutdown whenever needed.

Now, after having success with YASSM, I think I can easily love Lxtahr just as much!

rcrsn51

#492 Post by rcrsn51 »

@pchan: Maybe a newer version of smbclient would help.

Download the package from here. Click the small grey DOWNLOAD button on the LEFT.

To work in Tahrpup, you will also need the dependencies PET attached below.
Attachments
samba_client_deps-3.63.pet
(50.25 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

pchan

#493 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 ,
rcrsn51 wrote:@pchan: Maybe a newer version of smbclient would help.

Download the package from here. Click the small grey DOWNLOAD button on the LEFT.

To work in Tahrpup , you will also need the dependencies PET attached below.

Thanks for the efforts to guide me ....

I downloaded and installed the pets for testing.

Unfortunately, each time when i click on "shares" button, I still get "none" as the answer.

Unless there are some other things to try, I think I will for now, let go of the idea of trying to find the name of share folders in my very hidden Android samba server.

Like i say, I don't know if I will have to face a circumstance where I do not know the name of the shared folders on a samba server in my home setting. As it is, I am quite contented with YASSM because with YASSM, I don't even have to find out the samba server address (192.168.x.xxx....) and type it out. The program does it all for me. I just have to remember to enter "sec=ntlm" magic commands in the Options. Without that , I tried for hours and couldn't connect at all or I would connect and have empty folders :).

Thanks

rcrsn51

#494 Post by rcrsn51 »

pchan wrote:Unfortunately, each time when i click on "shares" button, I still get "none" as the answer.
That's too bad. I don't know how Thunar can find the share when smbclient cannot. Did you ever try putting the IP address in the Server box instead of HAM?
I just have to remember to enter "sec=ntlm" magic commands in the Options.
In the Samba-Login screen, click the Set box. Then use the YASSM Login tool instead of YASSM Search.

Why always search for something if you already know where it is? :wink:

pchan

#495 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:Did you ever try putting the IP address in the Server box instead of HAM?

In the Samba-Login screen, click the Set box. Then use the YASSM Login tool instead of YASSM Search.

Why always search for something if you already know where it is? :wink:

rcrsn51,

YASSM did it!

I used YASSM login tool instead of YASSM search.

Instead of HAM, I simply entered 192.168.0.101 (<--- Samba server assigned address on my android device)

Shares : (I left it blank ... pretend I don't know :wink: )

I clicked on "shares" button and this time the folder. "sdcard" appeared in the pop up dialog box.

I selected sdcard then clicked "Mount"

Pcfileman opened up with all the contents of sdcard folder on my android server. Amazing tool YASSM!

Thanks so much for all the help! :)

rcrsn51

#496 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent!

Here is the situation. If you give YASSM-login the server name HAM, it must use smbclient to find the shares. But on some networks, this fails. Other users have seen this problem.

But if you supply the server's IP address instead, smbclient can go directly to the server and identify the shares.

This is probably why Thunar asks for an IP address - it is a safer way to find shares.

I am building a new version of YASSM that will work better in this situation. Once YASSM-search finds the HAM server, it will send its IP adress to YASSM-login instead of the server name.

gcmartin

No LAN DNS/WINS exist nor election for PUP's name resolving

#497 Post by gcmartin »

This is one of the problems already identified in the "Centralization ..." thread in 2014.

This is a DNS issue on the LAN for its resources. Windows solved this as far back as Windows95. In PUPs, it has been traditional that the election process is a nonparticipant for PUPs. This, making it impossible to use Netbios/Netbuie naming to find resources from PUPs.

To resolve this a LAN location MUST be set as authoritative and PCs MUST elect/use it so that hostnames can be resolved.

In SAMBA3/SAMBA4/SAMBA-tng, WINS can be activated to resolve this but requires a DNS handling to manage this at the server level so that the LAN PCs (including in this case @PCan's PC) can find all LAN resources via hostname versus having to know IP addresses.

PUPPY needs to do 1 of the 2 items to resolve this:
  • a LAN resource with a constant LAN server subsystem addressing this
  • a feature in your router addressing this
@JamesBond, indirectly demonstrated about 4-5 years ago. DNSMASQ has all the marbles to do hostname-IP address resolution for LAN resources, but, again, it too must be set to do the DNS efforts necessary assuming the DNSMASQ PC is NOT doing DHCP at any level. It the DNSMASQ PC is set to do DHCP, its DNS ability comes along with little to no work necessary and thus, can easily be the central "elected official" on the LAN for resource locations and their hostnames.

Anyway, @PCan (and couple others in the past) has highlighted the need for this to be addressed as we move PUPs on the LAN into every location where PUPs are to be used for discovery or management of the resources we have on our LANs. This is going to become ever important as we are ALL adding more and more resources to our home facilities which need connection services; wired or wireless.

Also, DNSMASQ is discussed here in Puppyland

Hope this helps.

rcrsn51

#498 Post by rcrsn51 »

@pchan: I am sending you a copy of YASSM v2.7 to test. Please check your messages.

BTW, are you running a firewall on your Puppy machine?

pchan

#499 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:@pchan: I am sending you a copy of YASSM v2.7 to test. Please check your messages.

OK, Thanks

I will try it and report back soon.

pchan

#500 Post by pchan »

rcrsn51 wrote:@pchan: I am sending you a copy of YASSM v2.7 to test. Please check your messages.

rcrsn51,

I have just tried YASSM 2.7

I simply start YASSM Samba search

Clicked on rescan

(after 5 or 6 times, it found hidden@HAM. Previous version, I could click on the "wake" button and it will find HAM. It has also found a few other Windows samba servers with their share folders connected to the same router.)

Then when I select "hidden@HAM," it takes me to a dialog box with HAM's SAMBA server address ... 192.168.x.xxx (<---- nice!!!)

All i have to do, was ... enter my user and password .... then click "Mount" button.

Immediately, pcfileman opens up with all the contents inside the sdcard folder of HAM. No more hidden!!

Great improvement I must say! Congratualtion!

Just, if possible, give us the good old "wake" button. :roll: