Code: Select all

Rox --pinboard=
n.b. capital R important

line #204 comment out

#exec jwm
Please test and report any problems.
Thanks
Edits as above. Two reboots tested, no mouseclick required to see panel etc. This on a machine that always required a mouseclick. My only question now is what do I do with the cow with the target on it :lol: I'll continue to use and test on the Bay Trail desktops also.

Edited: Also OK on ASRock Q1900M motherboard system (j1900 2GHz quad core Bay Trail-D processor). No mouseclick required to see panel etc.

Thanks,
Last edited by Marv on Mon 01 Dec 2014, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Volhout

LxPup extra icons

#452 Post by Volhout »

Originally made for LxPup13.11, but they may be usefull for some people who uses these programs.
Attachments
simetrix48.png
(6.56 KiB) Downloaded 2123 times
saleae48.png
(7.64 KiB) Downloaded 2128 times
axepad48.png
(7.64 KiB) Downloaded 2125 times
arduino48.png
(7.64 KiB) Downloaded 2119 times
Last edited by Volhout on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

LxPup14.12

#453 Post by peebee »

LxPup14.12 has been uploaded....

This is the Slacko5.9.3 (Slacko6Beta2) flavour of LxPup with the non-pae kernel 3.4.94

Various small tweaks and tidy ups in reaction to comments on the forum - including the recent .xinitrc change.

Main significant change is the addition of the Compton compositor. This is disabled as default but can be switched on using the Boot Manager - Startup Apps or by using the Change Appearance menu. Compton is quite small and adds (optional) transparency, shadows and fading to the desktop environment.

I have been unable to find a GTK2 gui editor for the Compton configuration file so changes to the settings are done by editing the file directly and then restarting the window manager. (the best I have found is xcompton-tools rpm build for : PCLinuxOS but this uses command line switches rather than a configuration file so would need significant development). (There is a Qt based tool for LXQT).

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Volhout

Memory

#454 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I know this is not the right forum for the question, but I stumble upon it using LxPup, so that is why I ask here.

The strength of puppy was that everything is in RAM (frugal install), and guess what.... even with browser cache set to 0, running 14.12 with a 512Mbyte save file 3/4 full...I am out of memory.... (If I open my browser with youtube).

This is a 1 Gbyte system.

Is there any alternative other than doing a full install ?

Can I copy my system (including the save file) to a full install ? Or do I have to start virgin, and add all the pets and stuff again ?

Thank you in advance for any tips....

P.S. it was quite confusing to see that some tools like HTOP, Taskmanager, tell me I use only 200 Mbyte....While Top shows me I use 900 Mbyte. It was only then that I realized what was going on.

peebee

Re: Memory

#455 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Is there any alternative other than doing a full install ?

Can I copy my system (including the save file) to a full install ? Or do I have to start virgin, and add all the pets and stuff again ?

Thank you in advance for any tips....

P.S. it was quite confusing to see that some tools like HTOP, Taskmanager, tell me I use only 200 Mbyte....While Top shows me I use 900 Mbyte. It was only then that I realized what was going on.
Hi Volhout

I suspect I'm not the best person to answer as I only ever do frugal installs - never ever done a full install of any Puppy except Quirky!

I would imagine that watching a YouTube video in your browser is pretty memory intensive....but it will depend on which browser and how it has been written to buffer the video....

AFAIK - both frugal installs and full installs load all Puppy programs into memory up to the limit of your available memory. Same goes for any additional SFS or Pets you have installed. If you haven't got enough physical memory and you haven't got a swap space setup then programs will be loaded from disk as and when needed.

So the first thing I would suggest is to setup a swap area on your disk if you have not already done so. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SwapFile may help.

The free command should give an accurate memory usage snapshot. top shows usage in kb whereas htop displays mb.....I think

As for converting a frugal install to a full install - I don't think you should need to do it - but here's an old thread if you do: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49330

Otherwise - suggest you post a query in Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)

This may be useful - Understanding mounts/memory/RAM & filesystems/_save file

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

stuvxz

wlan automatic with Lxpup 13.01 & impossible with 14.10

#456 Post by stuvxz »

Before with LxPup 13.01 it was easy to connect to the web;

Now I have tried all the latest LxPup versions and none is able to connect to the web with my wireless usb modem;

I have a D-Link wlan usb drive; in release 13.01 the system 'sees' the modem automatically after booting;

In 14.10 the driver is installed but somehow neither frisbee nor Dougal's nor SNS can connect, the wlan is down;

I have tried everything I could but I can't connect to the web now.

I would appreciate any help since it is hard to do anything without a connection to the internet.

Thanks for your help.

peebee

Re: wlan automatic with Lxpup 13.01 & impossible with 14.10

#457 Post by peebee »

stuvxz wrote:I have a D-Link wlan usb drive;
In 14.10 the driver is installed but somehow neither frisbee nor Dougal's nor SNS can connect, the wlan is down;
I would appreciate any help since it is hard to do anything without a connection to the internet.
Thanks for your help.
Please see earlier discussion - suspect you have the same problem....

Run lsmod in a terminal - if the wl driver is being loaded please blacklist it using System - System - Boot Manager - Modules

then reboot.

If this doesn't work, please run dmesg in a terminal and see if there are any error messages wrt your wifi - most likely will be missing firmware messages.

I'm assuming that you are running the LxPupTahr14.10-pae flavour??

Cheers
peebee

stuvxz

#458 Post by stuvxz »

thanks PeeBee,

I should have said that my HDD is dead and that I am running puppy live from an usb drive for the last 2 years - I can remix it though, for a more permanent solution.

I have tried with every major release since LxPup 13.01. And I have searched in the foruns and tried what is proposed in some of them. One of the advices I got was to buy another usb modem... which does not make much sense since the modem works fine with the previous versions.

I tried with 13.04 beta, 14, 14.10, pae, retro, Racy, you name it.

Only 13.01 works.

And the fact that it is so easy to get online with 13.01 is very frustrating.
I would stick with 13.01 but it is slow with my PC and I am starting to have a lot of dependencies issues with more recent apps I need to use for school.

The library where I am now is closing and I must go but tomorrow I will try what you proposed and give a feedback.

Terry H

Re: wlan automatic with Lxpup 13.01 & impossible with 14.10

#459 Post by Terry H »

peebee wrote:
Please see earlier discussion - suspect you have the same problem....

Run lsmod in a terminal - if the wl driver is being loaded please blacklist it using System - System - Boot Manager - Modules

then reboot.

If this doesn't work, please run dmesg in a terminal and see if there are any error messages wrt your wifi - most likely will be missing firmware messages.

I'm assuming that you are running the LxPupTahr14.10-pae flavour??

Cheers
peebee
On initial set up on my Laptop which has Intel 4965 wifi chip, I was able to setup wifi. On reboot there was no wifi. I followed the above instructions and black listed the wl driver. On reboot wifi now working again.

All is good now. Thanks.

peebee

LxPup64

#460 Post by peebee »

peebee

LxPupTahr14.12

#461 Post by peebee »

LxPupTahr14.12 in both pae and non-pae versions is available from:

http://lx-pup.weebly.com/current-download.html

The build includes the service_pack-6.0_TO_6.0.1_tahr

Other changes are to bring the Tahr flavour into line with the Slacko flavour including the Compton compositor (disabled by default).
Last edited by peebee on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

LxPupPrecise-15.02-retro

#462 Post by peebee »

Update: 13-feb-2015

LxPupPrecise-15.02-retro updated:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... o/download
Last edited by peebee on Fri 13 Feb 2015, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

tahrpup64 lxde

#463 Post by zagreb999 »

to peebee
PLEASE,
DO MAKE TAHRPUP64 WITH LXDE DESKTOP!
THANK YOU.

Ted Dog

EFI BOOT NexT addition

#464 Post by Ted Dog »

<deleted by user>

peebee

**EXPERIMENTAL** LxPupUnicorn-15.1

#465 Post by peebee »

**EXPERIMENTAL**

LxPupUnicorn-15.1.00-pae.iso with kernel 3.17.7

Constructed by updating tahrpup with unicornpup (updated libraries in /lib and /usr/lib removed) so somewhat bigger (but I'm not one to reinvent perfectly good wheels) (anything else I should have removed? some extra apps and backgrounds cf tahrpup)

Netsurf removed.

No Broadcom wl wifi driver as I haven't compiled yet for k3.17.7 (need kernel sources)

There is a problem with unicornpup, carried into LxPupUnicorn, on my HP laptop - loses 50% screen brightness when dropping out to terminal.... a fix pet is attached

Also, doesn't seem to be any modesetting driver for my nvidia graphics.....

Please test and let me know what else is wrong.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lxunicorn-brightness-fix.pet
(524 Bytes) Downloaded 290 times
Last edited by peebee on Sun 11 Jan 2015, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

Gobbi

#466 Post by Gobbi »

Hi @peebee

Took a first test on LxPupUnicorn 15.1.00-pae in virtual machines and I couldn't get to desktop in Qemu , even using nomodesetting . In VirtualBox it started well and I noticed the resolution was set to 1600/1200 ( 63fps) and there were also available 1280/1024 (63fps) and 1024/768 (76fps) and the minor ones ... Obviously Qemu didn't like those values .

P.S. I also tried it on my desktop ( frugal install ) and I could not get to desktop . (AMD card + LG TV over HDMI)

Marv

LxPupUnicorn 15.1.00-pae

#467 Post by Marv »

Firstboot on 1.6GHz Pentium M ipw2200 wireless 855GM video laptop. Pristine Grub4Dos frugal as usual. Obviously the forcepae option works :D intel driver used, drm setup shows pipe underruns as did the 3.18.? kernel in vlina but not the 3.14.2 kernel in LxTahrPup. Doesn't affect video performance at all though. Glxgears is a very respectable 660 FPS on this laptop. The pipe underrun messages are here.

# dmesg | grep drm
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[drm] Memory usable by graphics device = 128M
[drm] Replacing VGA console driver
[drm] Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
[drm] Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
[drm:i9xx_set_fifo_underrun_reporting] *ERROR* pipe A underrun
[drm] initialized overlay support
fbcon: inteldrmfb (fb0) is primary device
i915 0000:00:02.0: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20140725 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
[drm:i9xx_check_fifo_underruns] *ERROR* pipe B underrun
[drm:i9xx_set_fifo_underrun_reporting] *ERROR* pipe B underrun
[drm:i8xx_irq_handler] *ERROR* pipe B underrun
WPA2 connection using Frisbee works well, sound OK, Lid suspend works with one caveat. On this machine anyway, a 1 second sleep is required before the 201214 test in /root/Startup/acpi to get acpid going before testing. Otherwise the pid is found about half the time resulting in a second acpid and no lid suspend.

#if acpid failed to start....201214
sleep 1  #added, Marv
pid=`pidof acpid`
Edit 1/5/2014: With the cleaner rc.acpi now used, I've never had acpid not start. The second test may not be necessary with it but with the 1 second sleep seems safe anyway.

More later, I'll check the Bay-Trail box and just continue to use this on my workhorse laptop.

Edit: Savefile set up, Lxpanel setup and desktops for my external browsers and save2flash swapped in from my LxPupTahr install, CPU governor set up, HP4500 printer set up (hplip_print_3.13.4 drivers and filters used) and numerous WM restarts. The Experiment seems sucessful from this admittedly limited viewpoint.

Some testing and observations:

Could remove rgbpaint, it doesn't resize, mtpaint does.

Broken link in /usr/lib. libffi.so.5 points to nonexistent libffi.so.6.0.1. It should point to libffi.so.6.0.2. Corrected, then Abiword starts. I've been a long term Abiword user but have pretty much abandoned it for LibreOffice because of formatting issues. Haven't tried 3.0 though. Remove?

Multimedia stuff:
mplayer not present? Installed it and simpleGTKradio works correctly as does pupRadio. This was the case in unicornpup also.

VLC present, started from terminal plays both CDs and DVDs sucessfully. Not in menu etc.

Starting DeaDBeef, either from the menu, the .desktop, or from a terminal in /opt/deadbeef, locks up the machine with 100% CPU and no info at all in the terminal. Machine does recover after about 45 secs or so. Nothing relevant in LxTask. Pretty much still a pristine install except for panel and added browser .desktops. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Last edited by Marv on Mon 05 Jan 2015, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

666philb

#468 Post by 666philb »

hi peebee,

when you say no modesetting for nvidia ..... does glxgears work? if it does that would mean modesetting has worked properly and selected nouveau.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

peebee

#469 Post by peebee »

666philb wrote:hi peebee,

when you say no modesetting for nvidia ..... does glxgears work? if it does that would mean modesetting has worked properly and selected nouveau.
Hi 666philb

On all the kernels post 3.4 I've had a problem with the nouveau driver - it works ok initially but crashes the system regularly usually when using a browser or when dropping out to the terminal.

On all systems until unicornpup I've been able to circumvent this problem by choosing the modesetting driver via xorgwizard

unicornpup doesn't offer the modesetting driver for either my nvidia deskyop nor my intel laptop (the laptop does not have the crash problem)

Looking in /root/.packages/woof-installed the package you recommended to try is already installed.

What I have noticed is that the modesetting_drv.so is in /usr/lib/x/drivers-alternate rather than in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers - I've tried moving it but this does not seem to affect xorgwizard which still does not offer it as an alternative to nouveau.

Cheers
peebee

mmxii

#470 Post by mmxii »

Tahrpup and LXDE is like a dream come true for me! I've been looking for the perfect distro to run live and this is it by a landslide :D the Ubuntu repo mixed with the versatility that is Puppy and with the LXDE desktop, it's a thing of beauty! Massive thanks to Barry K., 666philb, peebee and everyone else involved with this! Even my wife loves it and she's not technically proficient yet finds it easy to use, fast and fun and to me that means everything! You guys rock, this is miles better than any distro I've ever came across. Keep up the amazing work :D