LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

Problem with pfind under openbox

#46 Post by peebee »

I have detected a small problem with the use of pfind under openbox which I have reported on the pfind thread

It affects both LxPup13.10 and OpenBoxPlus.

Just something to be aware of.....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Volhout

Problem found

#47 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

I found the problem cause for the problems listed earlier. It has nothing to do with Lx or Slacko. It is in the PC's I used for test.

I wanted to create a nice puppy for my wife's EeePC X101CH. It has an atom 2600 processor with build in GMA3600 video. That is supported in kernell 3.8 and upward. Since my wife uses it with W7 now, I do the testing on our old laptop, a core-duo HP pavilion DV2000.

For the Eeepc I selected Slacko 5.6.0 because it has kernel 3.10, but.... 01Micko build that kernel with PAE.

And my test PC does not support PAE (actually I don't even know if the atom supports PAE).

Problem is ... it "kind of" works, and only shows problems occasionally. The only repeatable symptom that started me looking was the fact that Mplayer (in Slacko 5.6.0) did not want to play video. It did play the associated audio though.

Running the LxPup 13.10 (kernel 3.4 non PAE) and it works already for hours without a glitch. So now I have to find a non-PAE build kernel that supports my GMA3600 video. Seems that UPUP RARING uses 3.8 kernel with non-PAE.

I'll keep experimenting for a while.....

Amgine

#48 Post by Amgine »

So far I really like it,

I installed it by extracting the files to a USB and running "Grub4dos". It runs really good. I haven't ran into an issue yet.
Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Know where your Puppy files are, Back-up & Share files. https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/2118185/"]Sign Up!

Amgine

#49 Post by Amgine »

How do I update Firefox? I don't see anything in PPM??
Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage, Know where your Puppy files are, Back-up & Share files. https://one.ubuntu.com/referrals/referee/2118185/"]Sign Up!

peebee

#50 Post by peebee »

Amgine wrote:How do I update Firefox? I don't see anything in PPM??
Hi Amgine

.....really a question for the Slacko thread as Firefox is part of Slacko

however this thread in the browsers section of the forum should give you ideas:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88128

I believe(??) the easiest way is to go into Help -> About Firefox -> Check for updates but you may need enough savefile if you are frugally installed.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#51 Post by 01micko »

Use the Updates Manager to keep Firefox up to date with the 17ESR series. This is what the parent distro (slackware) supports. It works fine in LXPup (first thing I did actually).

It is possible to install the latest Firefox (no ESR, search the forum for a pet) and it will update automatically, but I don't recommend this unless you feel comfortable fixing things if they go wrong. The reason I use the native Slackware versions is that it has the best compatibility with the libraries installed. Who knows what Mozilla compile their official version on, probably either Ubuntu or Fedora.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Amgine

#52 Post by Amgine »

Thatnks peebee and micko,

simes

LXpup 131.0 ISO

#53 Post by simes »

Peter,
This is a great Puppy. I have been using your LXPup-by-SFS tool on a Precise 5.7.1 base as my main distro for a few months now (ever since Precise 5.7.1 came out) and it has been thoroughly reliable and fast. This new ISO means a similarly polished distro is available "off the shelf". I may even move back to a Slacko base as a result (though I may miss some Ubuntu packages I've added to Precise). I agree with 01micko, that LXDE looks like the way forward for Puppy now. It has a mainstream, smart appearance and is easy to learn and use, ROX and JWM are feeling a little dated. Whilst 'datedness' is defensible in a distro designed to be small and usable on older hardware, with LXDE/PCMANFM we seem to have found a GUI that looks more modern and is still lightweight. I really appreciate your efforts on this. Thank you!

peebee

desktop drive icons pet

#54 Post by peebee »

Here is a modded version of akash_rawal's desktop-drive-icons for openbox

The mod was identified and specified by SFR over on the Compiz thread - many thanks to him.

I will include this pet in the iso in directory /opt/lxpup-xtras in future so people can install it if they want desktop drive icons

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
desktop_drive_icons-0.0.5-openbox.pet
(21.87 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

Marv

lid-suspend

#55 Post by Marv »

Nice package! Played with themes, added vattery and PupClockset manager 2.2.1, set up lxpanel and my external browser and it's good to go.

This first thing really is slacko related, but I'm not running slacko so...

To enable lid-suspend without false 'flicker' when reopened, I modified /acpi/actions/lid.sh as follows:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
grep -v -q open /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state && /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh
As an aside, run /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh in terminal. Is echi_hcd depreciated?

LxPup specifics:

I haven't managed to turn off tooltips in the application launcher in lxpanel. Box in the panel settings is unchecked and seems to apply to the task bar only. What am I missing?

I did unravel things a bit so so obconf and a full lxappearance install show up in the menu and launch from the control panel. My taste only.

Ah, I do miss my rightclicks though. Have them in Rox, Thunar, and SpaceFM but seems to be no plugin or custom option in PCManFM 1.1.2. Correct?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

Re: lid-suspend

#56 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:LxPup specifics:

I haven't managed to turn off tooltips in the application launcher in lxpanel. Box in the panel settings is unchecked and seems to apply to the task bar only. What am I missing?

Ah, I do miss my rightclicks though. Have them in Rox, Thunar, and SpaceFM but seems to be no plugin or custom option in PCManFM 1.1.2. Correct?
Hi Marv

Thanks for your feedback.

I can't even find the lxpanelx check box you refer to - where did you find it??

One kludgy way to get rid of tooltips would be to edit the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications .....

How many panels have you activated? The panel control is a bit hit and miss as its not possible to specify which panel you want to control if there's more one! The best way is to right click on the panel you want to configure.

Right clicks sound like a good next "improvement" project - trouble is what are the set of right clicks universally needed? Maybe needs some "collection" pets for different scenarios? I find that some pups have maybe too many right click options for things that I rarely want to do.

It's quite easy to manually set right clicks - just right click any item then choose "Open with", select an application from the menu or a custom command line and click the always use box.

Cheers
peebee

p.s. you are running Slacko - so your suspend question is a Slacko question....

Marv

#57 Post by Marv »

Hi peebee,
Just one panel, and the toolbar check box shows up right clicking on mid-panel.. and is indeed just for the task bar. I thought about editing the desktops but it's too kludgy for even the king of kludge here. I have a small set of context specific rightclick actions in, say, SpaceFM which offer a couple of choices for a given mimetype. I'll play around with using the "open with" in PCManFM, probably use my send to directory in Rox as a starting point.

All really minor things though. Lots of good in the openbox/lxde combo with a solid slackware backbone and repos. I've used and cobbled together a lot of panels and the 'Go below when not in use' feature in this lxpanel is the smoothest most intuitive I've used. Seems like a simple small thing but it's not easy to get JUST right :)
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#58 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:..........the 'Go below when not in use' feature in this lxpanel is the smoothest most intuitive I've used. Seems like a simple small thing but it's not easy to get JUST right :)
Hi Marv

That feature of lxpanelx is exactly the reason why I used it instead of lxpanel. ;-)

I've found that right click associations are stored in:
/root/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

so I think the possibility exists of adding new items there - if we can decide which items to add...

Cheers
peebee

peebee

Service pack C available

#59 Post by peebee »

Service pack C has been uploaded - replaces pack A & B - delta file should be applied to the base LxPup13.10 iso to produce lxpup-13.10-1C.iso

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Wed 06 Nov 2013, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

Right click pet

#60 Post by peebee »

An experimental right click pet is attached in later posts

Thanks must go to don570 for Right-click-6.7.5.pet which I've used for the mime types.

DO NOT load this pet if you have made any personal right click definitions as they will be overwritten.

I welcome feedback and testing on whether the provided right clicks work and if any further ones are needed...

The list of mime associations is attached - remove the false .gz or right click and open as text ;-)

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
mimeapps.list.gz
remove false .gz
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Last edited by peebee on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 20:08, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

Service pack B and right clicks

#61 Post by Marv »

Downloaded and applied. Both the svc pack and the rightclicks seem fine. I now see how to add them much more clearly. My two additions would be an 'extract SFS to directory' and my personal poison, a 'permanent remove', replete with skull and crossbones! I'll use it and tinker a bit. Seems that it wants desktops. Going to see if they have to reside in /usr/share/applications. Unfortunately, that gets pretty darn cluttered.

Edit: have those 2 pretty much working, still juggling mimetypes.
Further Edit: Bad boy backtracked, installed SpaceFM from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88851, copied my sessions (have all rightclicks) and bookmarks in before booting and :lol: Hooked on that look'and feel' I guess.

Volhout

iso delta

#62 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

I am beginning to like your LxPup 13.10 more and more, and want to keep it up to date with all the changes you make, so my hours spend using it also contribute to testing of the most recent versions.

I use frugal installs (actually I have only once in my lifetime installed puppy full, rest is all frugal).

Text below: please understand this is new to me, and I am unsure how to do this. I use Puppy linux on an older PC with 512Mb RAM, but I do have a modern windows PC as well.

I have never tried a delta on an iso. To explain: I always install puppy from a windows environment, with unetboot or pendrive linux installer to convert the iso into a bootable USB stick, that I run on the old PC.
Is there a way to delta the iso in a windows environment ?

Or does that only work in puppy linux.
So I would have to :
Boot Puppy, have both the iso and the delta somewhere in the filesystem, do some magic ("click on the delta file ?") and create a new iso. I guess that would require me to have 1 Gbytes of RAM minimal, so RAM would hold both iso's, the delta, puppy linux, and work space ?

Then bring the new iso back to the windows environment on a USB stick, and create a USB stick so it extracts basically the mains SFS to USB stick. Then copy that (new) SFS to my frugal installed USB stick (overwriting the old one), and reboot in the new puppy (keeping my save file !!)?

Alternatively I can copy my save file from the used stick to the new stick, and be up and running also.

Please identify if this would work ?

peebee

Re: iso delta

#63 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Please identify if this would work ?
Hi Volhout

Pleased to hear that you are enjoying using LxPup13.10

I can beat you - I have never full installed Puppy - all my installs have been frugal installs

You can only run xdelta3 in a Puppy environment

I think what you should do is get both the original iso and the Service Pack B preferably in a directory on the hard disk of your Puppy laptop - e.g. /mnt/home

Click on the delta file to create the new iso

When you have the new iso, click on it to mount and open it - then copy just the puppy_lxpup_13.10.sfs file across to your usb stick to overwrite the one already there.

Dismount the iso by clicking on it again.

Reboot and you will be running the new version.

You can then delete the Service Pack B delta file - but keep the original iso and the 1B iso if you have the space.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

Right click pet

#64 Post by peebee »

Well I did say it was experimental....

later versions further down thread
Last edited by peebee on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 16:56, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

Right click pet

#65 Post by Marv »

Great! Collecting them in a common directory (/usr/share/applications/lxrightclicks) makes it much easier to keep track of what rightclicks are installed. My Extract SFS is on board and works. My Remove Permanently rightclick works correctly but I'm having trouble with the mimetype wildcards to have it apply to all mimetypes. Neither */*= or '*/*'= or "*/*"=works. Any suggestions mimetypers. I admit to mimetype ignorance in advance :?