LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#421 Post by peebee »

profetaxx wrote:Hi!!

I found it!!

Hehe. I made a directory in / (like /puppy1410) ,copy all files of .iso on it, modify the menu.lst of grub2 adding an entry for the new install changing some dirs ... reboot and... it works!! I've LxPup14.10 running and probing before instaling definitely... and like this I suppose that I can install many others distro. :D :D :lol:

regards!!
Jolly good!!

Welcome to the world of multiple pups ;-)
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

egySTARx

#422 Post by egySTARx »

peebee wrote: Hi

That has been a "feature" of LxPup since early days - it is some sort of timing issue but I don't know how to investigate where the problem is - so it remains a feature.....you have been lucky not to see it previously ;-)

I would imagine that the change of icon set has somehow changed timings on startup, maybe because there are more icons in the set etc.

A click on the desktop is all that is needed to solve this feature.

Cheers
PeeBee
It's okay i would thank you again and again for your awesome work :)

Marv

Bay Trail-D processor (j1900)

#423 Post by Marv »

Hoots of Joy :D :D :D :D :D

Very preliminary but very very good results using LxPupTahr on an Asrock Q1900M motherboard with a j1900 (Bay Trail-D) 10 watt TDE 2GHz quad core processor with intel 4000HD graphics. It's a USD$75 (with 1Gb memory) upgrade for an OLD micro-ATX Athlon XP system. When I complete both boxes and have other pups checked I'll post to Hardware.

Put the first box together, plugged in a usb stick with syslinux and LxPupTahr (non-PAE) snitched from my laptop and powered up. With NO :!: intervention from me, booted into my std desktop with usb mouse, sound, Mesa 10.13 video (glxgears exactly at frame refresh rate), all sata drives recognized. Wired ethernet set up with Dougal wiz and it's on line. Sata HDD partitioned with GParted, Frugal boot dir copied from USB, Grub4Dos config run, reboot and running off SATA drive.

More hoots :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

BobSongs

#424 Post by BobSongs »

Is there a replacement site for

http://peebee.5gbfree.com/share/lxpup/eye-candy/

tkx!

peebee

#425 Post by peebee »

BobSongs wrote:Is there a replacement site for

http://peebee.5gbfree.com/share/lxpup/eye-candy/

tkx!
Hi

You must be using an older version.....

The new url is:

http://lx-pup.weebly.com/eye-candy.html
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mikeslr

LxPupTahr wifi problem (SOLVED) See below

#426 Post by mikeslr »

Hi peebee & all,

Congradulations peebee on LxPupTahr14.10. It's running fine on my laptop, a dell latitude E6400. I'm hoping to resolve the wifi problem on my desktop, whose relevant specs are: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, 3375MB RAM, RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI wifi.

The problem occurs with both the pae and non-pae versions. I unpacked the ISO into a folder, and having added an lxtahr listing in Grub4dos's menu.lst, booted into it. Internet Connection Wizard or First Run both enable me to setup up a wireless connection, using either Frisbee or SNS. As I have opera in a folder on sda2 (home partition to all my Pups), I can test that LxPupTahr14.10 has, indeed, established internet connections. After shutting down and creating either a SaveFile or a SaveFolder, upon bootup LxPupTahr no longer recognizes my wireless system.

ifdown wlan0 && ifup wlan0

produces: "ifdown: can't open '/etc/network/interfaces': No such file or directory"

On the other hand, PupScanInterfaceInformation's PCI Modules sees Ralink corp. RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI ...KERNEL MODULE: rt61pci.

I've attached my desmg report in the hope that it may mean something.

By the way, my desktop doesn't have this problem running TahrPup 6.0.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Re: LxPupTahr wifi problem after creating SaveFile or Folder

#427 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Mikeslr
mikeslr wrote:... ifdown wlan0 && ifup wlan0

produces: "ifdown: can't open '/etc/network/interfaces': No such file or directory" ...
Try

Code: Select all

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
Here to help

peebee

Re: LxPupTahr wifi problem after creating SaveFile or Folder

#428 Post by peebee »

mikeslr wrote:By the way, my desktop doesn't have this problem running TahrPup 6.0.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide.
mikesLr
Hi Mike

I suspect the Broadcom wl driver as that is the only wifi difference between TahrPup and LxPupTahr.

Check if it is being loaded - lsmod in a terminal

If it is - blacklist wl (System -> System -> Boot Manager -> Modules -> Blacklist)

and then reboot.

Cheers
peebee

mikeslr

LxPupTahr wifi SUCCESS

#429 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks gcmartin and peebee for the suggestions.

Actually, following up on peebee's instructions --during which I learned how to blacklist in general, thanks again -- I discovered that wl, rather than causing problems, wasn't loaded. So I loaded it. [Nice user-friendly dialog box by the way.] Then rebooted and, Voila!!, wireless started right up with my previously stored configurations.
And all I had to do was open a web-browser, log into the Forum, and post this reply.

Thanks again,

mikesLr

peebee

Re: LxPupTahr wifi SUCCESS

#430 Post by peebee »

mikeslr wrote:Thanks gcmartin and peebee for the suggestions.

Actually, following up on peebee's instructions --during which I learned how to blacklist in general, thanks again -- I discovered that wl, rather than causing problems, wasn't loaded. So I loaded it. [Nice user-friendly dialog box by the way.] Then rebooted and, Voila!!, wireless started right up with my previously stored configurations.
And all I had to do was open a web-browser, log into the Forum, and post this reply.

Thanks again,

mikesLr
Hi Mike

Now I'm really confused as the wl driver should not be involved with Ralink wifi - it is purely for Broadcom chips.....and of course TahrPup doesn't include wl so another driver must be being used there......

It does have a tendency to load itself erroneously for other chips though due to a too lax interpretation of chip id numbers - and this is what I thought was happening in your case as we have seen this before for Intel chips for instance.

I'd be grateful if you could run pdiag and pm me the resulting diagnostic file so I can try to see whats happening on your setup....

Thanks
peebee

luiscuadrado123

#431 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

Hello!!

can anybody sayme how to change the desktop icon size??
i dont know what i did! but now the icon on my desktop are so big!!

i want to chage it puting small icon size, like before :(

peebee

#432 Post by peebee »

luiscuadrado123 wrote:Hello!!

PCManFM -> Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Size of Large Icons

should be 48 x 48 by default

luiscuadrado123

#433 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

peebee wrote:
luiscuadrado123 wrote:Hello!!

PCManFM -> Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Size of Large Icons

should be 48 x 48 by default
Thanks you!! :D :D :D :D

peebee

#434 Post by peebee »

mikeslr wrote:Thanks gcmartin and peebee for the suggestions.

Thanks again,

mikesLr
Mike sent me the requested pdiag output by pm and this has confirmed that he had blacklisted wl and that by doing so this allowed the correct rt driver to claim his wifi hardware and work.
This is an ongoing problem with the latest Broadcom wl driver.....it tries to grab non-Broadcom devices erroneously.

mikeslr

#435 Post by mikeslr »

Hi peebee,

Our prior confusion about my "adding" rather than "removing" the Broadcom wl driver and your above post encouraged me to re-visit the blacklist module and examine what I actually did.
I could have saved myself the effort by simply asking my wife. She would have patiently reminded me, again, that I don't know my left from my right.
With hindsight, that probably explains why, a life-time ago, my promotion from PFC was to Spec-4 rather than Corporal. Only a typewriter came under my command.

mikesLr

rcrsn51

#436 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeslr wrote:I could have saved myself the effort by simply asking my wife. She would have patiently reminded me, again, that I don't know my left from my right.
I agree about the Blacklisting screen. Most people would see the Remove button and assume that it removes the driver from their system. It actually removes it from the blacklist.

Better names for the buttons would have been Blacklist and Restore.

luiscuadrado123

#437 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

Hello!!!!!

how to change the function of my Imp-Pant key from my keyboard???

i change the "screenshot" app from mtpaint to hotshot app in the Default Aplications program... but when i press Imp-Pant, steel opening mtpaint...

the people on the Tahrpup 6 Topic say that it could be a problem from the LXDE enviropment

peebee

#438 Post by peebee »

luiscuadrado123 wrote:Hello!!!!!

how to change the function of my Imp-Pant key from my keyboard???

i change the "screenshot" app from mtpaint to hotshot app in the Default Aplications program... but when i press Imp-Pant, steel opening mtpaint...

the people on the Tahrpup 6 Topic say that it could be a problem from the LXDE enviropment
See previous answer I gave you:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 593#803593

Change line 305 of /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml

Puppy does not have a "defaultscreenprint" so you can't have changed - mtpaint -s is the best option generally available across most puppies.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-11-17_071357.png
(49.8 KiB) Downloaded 727 times

mistfire

Slacko LxPup 14.10 Bugs found

#439 Post by mistfire »

Hi @peebee

Can you fix the following error that I found on Lxpup 14.10 slacko:

* Failed to create puppy save file on NTFS partition
* Mount error message appear the drives are mounted on PCmanFM. While on Pmount the drive is successfully mounted
* Sluggish startup.

I had a suggestions for Lxpup:

* Use midori web browser instead of firefox in order to reduce filesize of lxpup
* Please include Woofy.
* Remove JWM and ROX-Filer
* Remove redudant applications.
* Double-click navigation must be enabled by default.
* More dynamic PPM so we can add addtional repo instead of hard-coded repo.

peebee

Re: Slacko LxPup 14.10 Bugs found

#440 Post by peebee »

mistfire wrote:Hi @peebee

Can you fix the following error that I found on Lxpup 14.10 slacko:

* Failed to create puppy save file on NTFS partition
* Mount error message appear the drives are mounted on PCmanFM. While on Pmount the drive is successfully mounted
* Sluggish startup.

I had a suggestions for Lxpup:

* Use midori web browser instead of firefox in order to reduce filesize of lxpup
* Please include Woofy.
* Remove JWM and ROX-Filer
* Remove redudant applications.
* Double-click navigation must be enabled by default.
* More dynamic PPM so we can add addtional repo instead of hard-coded repo.
Hi mistfire

LxPup is made by adding LXDE components to an existing Puppy build (i.e. currently Slacko6Beta2, TahrPup6.0 and PrecisePup5.7.1)

Therefore all of your problems and suggestions should really be directed to the base Puppy rather than LxPup.

The new "savefolders" cannot be made on an NTFS formatted partition - only on on a Linux formatted. The old "savefiles" can be made on NTFS....

I get no error messages when devices are mounted in PcManFM - what errors are you seeing and with what devices?

Startup is not sluggish for me - I test on my desktop and on my laptop. What are the specs of your machine? And what aspect do you find "sluggish"?

Woofy is specialized utility and can be easily installed from a pet if you need it.

You can easily change to double click activation if you require it but LxPup will always ship with single click as default as it is Linux not Windows.

I will not be removing JWM and Rox nor changing the browser from that provided by the base Puppy. Nor will I be removing any "redundant" applications.....sorry!

Cheers
peebee