LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#376 Post by peebee »

luiscuadrado123 wrote:Hello...

i dont understand what is the last version of Lxpup for PRECISE? and where is the link to downlaad the iso??
Hi

see:

http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-precise.html

and/or

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.02/
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Volhout

WIFI and save file

#377 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I will repond in a few sessions, since I use LxPup Tahr to write these pages, while I do the tests.

Firstrun LxPup14.09.00
from Hardinfo
WIFI chip = Intel 3945ABG
kernel drivers = iwl3945, iwlegacy

data collected in pdiag_20140926_fr

after reboot (save file ext2 256mbyte, rest defaulted

from Hardinfo
WIFI chip = Intel 3945ABG
kernel drivers = --- (none of the drivers has a wlan related description)

data collected in pdiag_20140926_rb1

There is one thing that comes to mind that could relate to this problem. Please understand this is pure speculation, and I am not knowledged enough to be trusted.....

In general, puppies show the dialog that happens while connecting with an accesspoint as follows:
- the desktop is build up, and the tray.
- in the tray there is a non-connect icon for wlan0
- there is a dialog like "wlan0 down" "requesting IP adres" and "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IPI adres received"
- then there is a connect icon in the tray, replacing the non-connect

This behaviour is also visible in 13.11 and 14.03 LxPups

But underlying tahr pup 5.8.3.rc1 behaves different. By the time the tray is build up, the connect icon is immediately shown, and the connection is already established. One can immediately open the web browser and start browsing. It seems to connect earlier than older puppies.

Maybe this order of doing things (when do you start the desktop environment, when do you open the wlan dialog) is causing this. Just guessing....

I will try to PM the pdiag output

peebee

Re: WIFI and save file

#378 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:I will try to PM the pdiag output
Hi Volhout

Many thanks for the pdiags - they show what is happening but I'm not experienced enough to understand why its happening - we probably need an expert like rerwin to explain that.....

Basically, because the wl.ko driver is an add-on it is not enabled on first boot because only the drivers present when TahrPup was built are known and enabled. Therefore the iwl3945 driver claims your wifi device 8086:4222

When you do a reboot, the module list is updated and wl.ko becomes activated - and here's the unknown bit - proceeds to claim your wifi device even though it is the wrong driver for Intel devices.

You can fix the problem by either deleting /lib/modules/3.14.11/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko from the system or blacklisting it (menu - system - system - boot manager - modules tab) and rebooting.

If you are happy for me to send your pdiags to rerwin he may be able to come up with a better fix - suspect an edit to the last entry on the last line of /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG is needed - if you are brave you could try adding :iwl3945 (but be sure to leave the space on the end of the line) and then reboot.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Volhout

blacklisting works

#379 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I have blacklsted the wl.ko module, and after reboot, wifi works. Thanks for the tip.
If it helps you, you can send my pdiag files to rerwin. The only confidential info in it is the accespoint password, and that changes frequently.

About bugs.

I have seen one instance where during bootup, video (X) refuses to come up.
In the start up sequence, there is text in the 640x480 screen mode, then after few seconds the screen is restarted in 1280x800 mode (text based), and finally screen is iniialized (re-started) in 1280x800 in 32 bit color mode. It is the last restart that does not happen. The screen blanks, and never wakes up.
LxPup however works (response to i.e. power button that provokes a shutdown).
Without video it will be hard to debug I guess. Is there a log file that could help ?

Regards,

Volhout

rcrsn51

#380 Post by rcrsn51 »

peebee wrote:When you do a reboot, the module list is updated and wl.ko becomes activated - and here's the unknown bit - proceeds to claim your wifi device even though it is the wrong driver for Intel devices.
FWIW, and this may be completely unrelated, but recent Puppies have this odd entry in the PREFLIST of MODULESCONFIG:

Code: Select all

wl:ipw2100:ipw220:iwlwifi
This appears to mix Broadcom and Intel devices.

peebee

#381 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:
peebee wrote:When you do a reboot, the module list is updated and wl.ko becomes activated - and here's the unknown bit - proceeds to claim your wifi device even though it is the wrong driver for Intel devices.
FWIW, and this may be completely unrelated, but recent Puppies have this odd entry in the PREFLIST of MODULESCONFIG:

Code: Select all

wl:ipw2100:ipw220:iwlwifi
This appears to mix Broadcom and Intel devices.
That is actually the entry that says that the "i" drivers take precedence over the wl driver and stop the wl driver wrongly claiming Intel devices. The entry was established by rerwin in response to earlier problems. It may be that the list of intel drivers needs to be longer.....

rcrsn51

#382 Post by rcrsn51 »

peebee wrote:That is actually the entry that says that the "i" drivers take precedence over the wl driver and stop the wl driver wrongly claiming Intel devices. The entry was established by rerwin in response to earlier problems. It may be that the list of intel drivers needs to be longer.....
Why would the wl driver ever do that? They share no aliases, which is the intent of the PREFLIST.

peebee

#383 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:
peebee wrote:That is actually the entry that says that the "i" drivers take precedence over the wl driver and stop the wl driver wrongly claiming Intel devices. The entry was established by rerwin in response to earlier problems. It may be that the list of intel drivers needs to be longer.....
Why would the wl driver ever do that? They share no aliases, which is the intent of the PREFLIST.
I've no idea :?
rerwin could probably explain but I can't...
If there's a better way, would be great to learn of it....

Gooplusplus

#384 Post by Gooplusplus »

Lx Pup Tahr 14.09 and Precise Pup Rescue released in new USB Multiboot (YUMI) collection

http://www.gooplusplus.com/multiboot-2014-kudos-rescue/

Bittorrent download:

https://kickass.to/usb-multiboot-2014-k ... 30580.html

peebee

#385 Post by peebee »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Words of wisdom from rerwin:
rerwin wrote:Yes, add it to the PREFLIST - replace:
wl:ipw2100:ipw2200:iwlwifi '
with
wl:ipw2100:ipw2200:iwlwifi:iwl3945 '

wl's modalias entry at the end of the list is:
alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc02sc80i* wl
which means it is used for all devices having bc02sc80 in their modalias. The device's modalias is:
pci:v00008086d00004222sv0000103Csd0000135Cbc02sc80i00

The fact that it is at the end of the list means it is what is used. So the preference is needed. Go ahead and do whatever is necessary to get that added to the woof version of MODULESCONFIG, if you are into doing that.

rcrsn51

#386 Post by rcrsn51 »

peebee wrote:wl's modalias entry at the end of the list is:
alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc02sc80i* wl
which means it is used for all devices having bc02sc80 in their modalias. The device's modalias is:
pci:v00008086d00004222sv0000103Csd0000135Cbc02sc80i00
This is the entry for the newest version of wl. Older versions matched specific models.

If I understand this correctly, bc02sc80 means "Network controller - other". Does this mean that it matches ANY PCI WiFi adapter? In my tests, that's exactly what happens. The wl module is automatically loaded even if the system contains no Broadcom devices.

666philb

#387 Post by 666philb »

hi peebee,

i was wondering if you could make me a package of the pup-volume-monitor and it's requirements for tahrpup so i can make it available in quickpet.

thanks

666philb
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

peebee

#388 Post by peebee »

666philb wrote:hi peebee,

i was wondering if you could make me a package of the pup-volume-monitor and it's requirements for tahrpup so i can make it available in quickpet.

thanks

666philb
Here's the version included in LxPupTahr14.09

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
pup-volume-monitor-0.1.15-1-i686-tahr.pet
(104.39 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

666philb

#389 Post by 666philb »

thanks
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

luiscuadrado123

#390 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

Hello!!

i am using LxPupp 14.02 (Precise + LXDE) since 1 mounth and is really nice!

But i have a problem... I use a Samsung Notebook and the volume controls don't work

even FN+(arrows) and +/- and MUTE button.... do nothing.

how can i fix it?

peebee

#391 Post by peebee »

luiscuadrado123 wrote:Hello!!

But i have a problem... I use a Samsung Notebook and the volume controls don't work

how can i fix it?
Hi luiscuadrado123

Thank you for your feedback - and that you have a problem....

I think you would get better help if you posted the problem in:
Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio

However, you will need to give more information about the configuration of your "Samsung Notebook" and much greater detail of what you mean by "the volume controls don't work" - do you mean you have no sound? or that you can't control the volume with the volume control in the systray? or that your Notebook has keys which you expect to control the volume and these don't work?

It would also be useful to know if you able to do this, whether you have the same problem with Precise5.7.1.....?

Sorry I can't help any more.
Cheers
peebee

Volhout

Lx on blue or quirky tahr

#392 Post by Volhout »

Hi Peebee,

Any chance of having an LxPup version based on F2FS ?
Tried Blue pup, that basically is a full install on an F2FS usb stick, and must say that it boots quick, shuts down quick, and does not really execute noticably slower than a frugal install. Benefit is you dont need a save file.
Can also be drawback...

Maybe LxBlue?

peebee

Re: Lx on blue or quirky tahr

#393 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Hi Peebee,

Any chance of having an LxPup version based on F2FS ?
Tried Blue pup, that basically is a full install on an F2FS usb stick, and must say that it boots quick, shuts down quick, and does not really execute noticably slower than a frugal install. Benefit is you dont need a save file.
Can also be drawback...

Maybe LxBlue?
Hi Volhout

I made a Quirky-Tahr version of LxPup-by-SFS back in April:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... irky-Tahr/

This might work as an add-on to Blue ??

If I get a chance I'll try it - unless you beat me to it!

If it works I can update it to 14.09 state....

Cheers
peebee

luiscuadrado123

#394 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

peebee wrote:
luiscuadrado123 wrote:Hello!!

how can i fix it?
Hi luiscuadrado123

Thank you for your feedback - and that you have a problem....

I think you would get better help if you posted the problem in:
Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio

However, you will need to give more information about the configuration of your "Samsung Notebook" and much greater detail of what you mean by "the volume controls don't work" - do you mean you have no sound? or that you can't control the volume with the volume control in the systray? or that your Notebook has keys which you expect to control the volume and these don't work?

It would also be useful to know if you able to do this, whether you have the same problem with Precise5.7.1.....?

Sorry I can't help any more.
Cheers
peebee
hello peebee

i create a new post here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96044

i hope that you or anybody could help me

thanks

peebee

LxPupTahr 14.10

#395 Post by peebee »

LxPupTahr14.10.00-pae is available to download from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.10/

Click on the little "i" to see the md5.

Based on TahrPup5.8.4 with the pae kernel 3.14.20 produced by 666philb

Use the TahrPup5.8.4 devx if needed.

As well as all the LXDE components, LxPupTahr includes openssl 1.0.1i, and the Broadcom wl wifi driver.

If you have Nvidia graphics you may run into difficulties with the nouveau driver - switch to the modesetting driver using xorgwizard.
Attachments
lxpuptahr.png
(177 KiB) Downloaded 1928 times