LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Darth_J0k3r

#361 Post by Darth_J0k3r »

I have been using lxpup 4.0.3.1 as a live usb on my laptop for the past three months. my harddrive died. lxpup 4.0.3.1 works with no issues, however 4.0.9 both slako and tahr. resault in an over heating issue after about an hour of use. my laptop specs are

Hp probook 4535s
AMD Dual-Core Processor E2-3000M (1.8GHz)
4GB Memory
AMD Radeon HD 6480G
1366 x 768

peebee

#362 Post by peebee »

Darth_J0k3r wrote:I have been using lxpup 4.0.3.1 as a live usb on my laptop for the past three months. my harddrive died. lxpup 4.0.3.1 works with no issues, however 4.0.9 both slako and tahr. resault in an over heating issue after about an hour of use. my laptop specs are

Hp probook 4535s
4GB Memory
AMD Radeon HD 6480G
1366 x 768
Hi there - sorry to hear you're having problems. Do both the pae and non-pae kernels exhibit the problem? Have you used the Task Manager to see which process is hogging your cpu (presuming that is what is causing the overheating)?

You could try dropping in a different kernel (after renaming the sfs appropriately) from:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... r/kernels/
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

simes

#363 Post by simes »

peebee wrote:@Marv, @Simes & @GooPlusPlus

Thank you all for your comments.

All the features you mention arise from the base TahrPup5.8.3-rc1 produced by 666philb so he deserves your thanks more than me..... QuickpetTahr, PaleMoon, VLC plugin...
I take your point, peebee, and I congratulate 666philb on a very solid release. It works 'straight out of the box' with modern software, ease of use and keeps the old Puppy advantages of light weight and simplicity. But your work, peebee, building on what jejy69 did, making LXDE sit almost transparently on top of Puppy, has transformed the look of the distro from old-fashioned to modern. I think LXDE should be the standard desktop on Puppy now - it certainly is on my PCs - but then again, now we have such variety, is there really a standard Puppy any more?

Thanks to all.

Volhout

lxpup1409

#364 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

Tried LxPUP1409 tahr on my work laptop (USB stick, clean start, no save file).
- Bacon editor: I cannot enter text..? Compiling does not work (probably need the ddvx file).
- mhWaveEdit audio recorder does not bring up mixer (play->record->launch mixer). According text this should be xmixer (not retrovol). Maybe this is a mhWaveEdit configuration that should point to retrovol.

On my old DV2000 laptop:
clean start, no save file
- Bacon editor: entering text works..? Is this depending on the hardware ??
Install WIFI (SNS)
- make save file, and restart: no WIFI (device WLAN0 is not even available).
just to make sure, deleted save file, tried everything again, choose FrisBee for WIFI:
- restart: no WIFI...no WLAN0 device.

There is something fishy here...

666philb

#365 Post by 666philb »

hi Volhout,

bacon is in the devx ...... it would be good to know if it's working properly?

i've put a fix in 'tahrpup bug fixes' in quickpet for the mhwaveedit mixer thanks.

concerning wifi ...... could you test and see if you have the same problem in tahrpup-5.8.3.rc1 http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... 5.8.3.rc1/

thanks
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Gooplusplus

USB multiboot 2014 Kudos "mini" featuring Lx Pup 14.09

#366 Post by Gooplusplus »

http://www.gooplusplus.com/multiboot-2014-kudos-mini/

FYI, an 850MB USB Multiboot set featuring Lx Pup 14.09 and OpenElec XBMC is now available via bittorrent download.

https://kickass.to/usb-multiboot-2014-k ... 04104.html

Image _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Image

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Image

Volhout

tahrpup5.8.3.rc1

#367 Post by Volhout »

Dear 666philb,

Installed tahrpup 5.8.3.rc1 on USB.

- after creating save file (256MB EXT2) WIFI reconnects after reboot.
- thanks for configuring retrovol as mixer in mhWaveEdit

BaCon works.

-downloaded the tarh devx (from quickpet) and used the BaCon editor to create a program. I included the graphics file "hug.bac". That gave a "file not found". Apparently /usr/share/BaCon is not in the search environent for the editor (that is where the file resides). It is not a problem to add the full path in the source.

I will try LxPUPtahr again for the WIFI issue, see if I can replicate it and give some more debug info.

Thank you for the quick response. Tahr seems to work fine on this laptop, although the processor (a T2400) is an older one, I even doubt if it has PAE. But it works with the 3.14 kernel.

peebee

XBMC for LxPup14.09

#368 Post by peebee »

Something new to play with.....

XBMC 13.2 "Gotham" for LxPup14.09

any comments over on that thread please.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Darth_J0k3r

#369 Post by Darth_J0k3r »

peebee wrote:
Darth_J0k3r wrote:I have been using lxpup 4.0.3.1 as a live usb on my laptop for the past three months. my harddrive died. lxpup 4.0.3.1 works with no issues, however 4.0.9 both slako and tahr. resault in an over heating issue after about an hour of use. my laptop specs are

Hp probook 4535s
4GB Memory
AMD Radeon HD 6480G
1366 x 768
Hi there - sorry to hear you're having problems. Do both the pae and non-pae kernels exhibit the problem? Have you used the Task Manager to see which process is hogging your cpu (presuming that is what is causing the overheating)?

You could try dropping in a different kernel (after renaming the sfs appropriately) from:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... r/kernels/
I usually only use linux in live usb mod as a recovery tool. so i do not know how drop in different kernels.
I have been using linix every day for the 100 days because my hdd on my laptop died. my gameing rig works great. though my secondary hdd in it is slowly dieing. guess i know what my tax refund is going tords.
the same overheaying bug happen in both lxpup slako non-pae 4.0.9 and tahr 4.0.9. i cant save slako pae, the last confirmation screen shows save as -280 mb(s)

Also i have the same bug as Volhout posted about not remembering wifi driver after first reboot. i solved it by clicking load modul and loading my driver from the list. and the rebooted again, after that wifi works like it should.

bark_bark_bark

#370 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I am using LxTahr 14.09 and I want to know where the devx for it is.

peebee

#371 Post by peebee »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I am using LxTahr 14.09 and I want to know where the devx for it is.
Use the devx for TahrPup5.8.3rc1 from:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... 5.8.3.rc1/

bark_bark_bark

#372 Post by bark_bark_bark »

peebee wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:I am using LxTahr 14.09 and I want to know where the devx for it is.
Use the devx for TahrPup5.8.3rc1 from:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... 5.8.3.rc1/
Thanks.

Volhout

WIFI reconnect

#373 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

After reporting the bug (WIFI does not reconnect after a save file is made), and confirming this bug is not present in tahrpup 5.8.3.rc1, Darth_J0k3r confirmed the same bug.

I have repeated the procedure, and can confirm it is consistent. Initially WIFI connects, after creating a save file and rebooting, device WLAN0 does not even exist. (Darth_J0k3r fixed it buy manually re-loading the driver from the list).

Is there anything else you need from me to fix the bug. Since this does not happen in tahr pup, it may be a timing issue (as I understand LxPup does not touch kernel and drivers ?).

peebee

Re: WIFI reconnect

#374 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Dear PeeBee,

After reporting the bug (WIFI does not reconnect after a save file is made), and confirming this bug is not present in tahrpup 5.8.3.rc1, Darth_J0k3r confirmed the same bug.

I have repeated the procedure, and can confirm it is consistent. Initially WIFI connects, after creating a save file and rebooting, device WLAN0 does not even exist. (Darth_J0k3r fixed it buy manually re-loading the driver from the list).

Is there anything else you need from me to fix the bug. Since this does not happen in tahr pup, it may be a timing issue (as I understand LxPup does not touch kernel and drivers ?).
Hi Volhout

Can you say which wifi chip and driver this concerns please?

The only thing I can think of is that for Broadcom devices I have added the wl driver to LxTahrPup but it may not be "seen" on initial boot. If the b43 driver is initially used, the switch to wl after a reboot 'may' explain the problem.

Could you:
a. reboot before connecting wifi and see if this changes things
b. run pdiag in a terminal just after a reboot when you have enabled wifi prior to rebooting as described in your problem report - pm me the pdiag output rather than posting it here

Thanks
peebee

luiscuadrado123

#375 Post by luiscuadrado123 »

Hello...

i dont understand what is the last version of Lxpup for PRECISE? and where is the link to downlaad the iso??

peebee

#376 Post by peebee »

luiscuadrado123 wrote:Hello...

i dont understand what is the last version of Lxpup for PRECISE? and where is the link to downlaad the iso??
Hi

see:

http://lx-pup.weebly.com/upup-precise.html

and/or

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.02/

Volhout

WIFI and save file

#377 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I will repond in a few sessions, since I use LxPup Tahr to write these pages, while I do the tests.

Firstrun LxPup14.09.00
from Hardinfo
WIFI chip = Intel 3945ABG
kernel drivers = iwl3945, iwlegacy

data collected in pdiag_20140926_fr

after reboot (save file ext2 256mbyte, rest defaulted

from Hardinfo
WIFI chip = Intel 3945ABG
kernel drivers = --- (none of the drivers has a wlan related description)

data collected in pdiag_20140926_rb1

There is one thing that comes to mind that could relate to this problem. Please understand this is pure speculation, and I am not knowledged enough to be trusted.....

In general, puppies show the dialog that happens while connecting with an accesspoint as follows:
- the desktop is build up, and the tray.
- in the tray there is a non-connect icon for wlan0
- there is a dialog like "wlan0 down" "requesting IP adres" and "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IPI adres received"
- then there is a connect icon in the tray, replacing the non-connect

This behaviour is also visible in 13.11 and 14.03 LxPups

But underlying tahr pup 5.8.3.rc1 behaves different. By the time the tray is build up, the connect icon is immediately shown, and the connection is already established. One can immediately open the web browser and start browsing. It seems to connect earlier than older puppies.

Maybe this order of doing things (when do you start the desktop environment, when do you open the wlan dialog) is causing this. Just guessing....

I will try to PM the pdiag output

peebee

Re: WIFI and save file

#378 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:I will try to PM the pdiag output
Hi Volhout

Many thanks for the pdiags - they show what is happening but I'm not experienced enough to understand why its happening - we probably need an expert like rerwin to explain that.....

Basically, because the wl.ko driver is an add-on it is not enabled on first boot because only the drivers present when TahrPup was built are known and enabled. Therefore the iwl3945 driver claims your wifi device 8086:4222

When you do a reboot, the module list is updated and wl.ko becomes activated - and here's the unknown bit - proceeds to claim your wifi device even though it is the wrong driver for Intel devices.

You can fix the problem by either deleting /lib/modules/3.14.11/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko from the system or blacklisting it (menu - system - system - boot manager - modules tab) and rebooting.

If you are happy for me to send your pdiags to rerwin he may be able to come up with a better fix - suspect an edit to the last entry on the last line of /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG is needed - if you are brave you could try adding :iwl3945 (but be sure to leave the space on the end of the line) and then reboot.

Cheers
peebee

Volhout

blacklisting works

#379 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

I have blacklsted the wl.ko module, and after reboot, wifi works. Thanks for the tip.
If it helps you, you can send my pdiag files to rerwin. The only confidential info in it is the accespoint password, and that changes frequently.

About bugs.

I have seen one instance where during bootup, video (X) refuses to come up.
In the start up sequence, there is text in the 640x480 screen mode, then after few seconds the screen is restarted in 1280x800 mode (text based), and finally screen is iniialized (re-started) in 1280x800 in 32 bit color mode. It is the last restart that does not happen. The screen blanks, and never wakes up.
LxPup however works (response to i.e. power button that provokes a shutdown).
Without video it will be hard to debug I guess. Is there a log file that could help ?

Regards,

Volhout

rcrsn51

Re: WIFI and save file

#380 Post by rcrsn51 »

peebee wrote:When you do a reboot, the module list is updated and wl.ko becomes activated - and here's the unknown bit - proceeds to claim your wifi device even though it is the wrong driver for Intel devices.
FWIW, and this may be completely unrelated, but recent Puppies have this odd entry in the PREFLIST of MODULESCONFIG:

Code: Select all

wl:ipw2100:ipw220:iwlwifi
This appears to mix Broadcom and Intel devices.