peebee

Re: What are changes from 14.07 to 14.08

#331 Post by peebee »

B.K. Johnson wrote:Hi peebee
LxPupTahr-14.08.0.iso based on TahrPup5.8.3 with pae k3.14.11

What are changes from 14.07 to 14.08?

B.K. Johnson
Hi

Nothing really significant - the right clicks option needed a bit of a change and there's a new website for eye-candy downloads. Also Help now displays the correct pages.

Plus there's now the TahrPup flavour as well as the Slacko one.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Gobbi

#332 Post by Gobbi »

Hi , peebee :D

I made a quick frugal install of LxQtPup . It's nice and Qt offers a smooth and pleasant enviroment .
I also gave a try to LxPup-Tahr . I like it even more ...
In LxPup-Tahr I found a missing library makes mtpaint not starting : libtiff.so.4

I stick to CompizPup because of Eiskaltdc++ :wink: .
Thank's for your work :!:
Attachments
LxPup-Tahr-14.08.jpg
(102.08 KiB) Downloaded 538 times

peebee

#333 Post by peebee »

Gobbi wrote:In LxPup-Tahr I found a missing library makes mtpaint not starting : libtiff.so.4
It's in the iso - see screenie - did you somehow delete it??
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-08-17_071331.png
(100.6 KiB) Downloaded 1921 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Gobbi

#334 Post by Gobbi »

peebee wrote: It's in the iso - see screenie - did you somehow delete it??
I played again a little with LxPup-Tahr 14.08 , doing the steps I did before to see if mtpaint would start.
It is OK , it works fine but after trying various combinations of what I did last night , I found that on a fresh new start , as soon as I activate Conky - even if it is the first thing I do - mtpaint doesn't start anymore and from the terminal I get the message that mtpaint can not start due to missing library libtiff.so.4

peebee

#335 Post by peebee »

Gobbi wrote:
peebee wrote: It's in the iso - see screenie - did you somehow delete it??
I played again a little with LxPup-Tahr 14.08 , doing the steps I did before to see if mtpaint would start.
It is OK , it works fine but after trying various combinations of what I did last night , I found that on a fresh new start , as soon as I activate Conky - even if it is the first thing I do - mtpaint doesn't start anymore and from the terminal I get the message that mtpaint can not start due to missing library libtiff.so.4
Many thanks - I need to fix the conky pet.....it must be overwriting the link with a non-existent one I suspect....

simes

New LXPups

#336 Post by simes »

I can report that I have installed the new LXPupTahr and the LXQTPup. Both installed very easily as frugal installs and ran without problems although I haven't tried every function. I like the LXQT interface and need to spend some more time making myself familiar with it. I like LXDE generally and variations (inc. Compiz) used on top of the Puppy platform and think they should be the first choice of desktop really; less old-fashioned than JWM but still lightweight. Incidentally, this has been my first contact with the Pale Moon browser - very fast, another good choice! Thanks peebee.

EDIT (after booting the Tahr version a few times); Puppy does not recognise my RT61 wireless card on second and later boots. On the first boot it did recognise it and I configured wireless without problems, did some other work, later created a save file and shut down. On all subsequent boots Puppy has not detected the RT61 card and I've had to load the driver manually. Not a big issue for me but off-putting for newcomers, I'd imagine. 2ND EDIT: Peebee, not to worry; this problem went away after I switched to using Barry's network manager instead of SNS. Might be limited to my machine.

I have now spent some more time with your LXQTpup and I think this is very promising. However, I did find the problems you listed in your post #2 about LXQT. These problems (e.g. no single click to open, no open-with) are quite frustrating and my impression is that they are in LXQT itself at its current state of development, not in your Puppy implementation. I'm inclined myself to keep watch on LXQT as a desktop for the near future but it looks not quite ready for serious use on Puppy today.

peebee

14.08.01 versions

#337 Post by peebee »

14.08.01 versions of LxPup, LxPupTahr and CompizPup now available from:

lx-pup.weebly.com

and

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 975#794975

- Various updates to components, and to the build system
- problem on LxPupTahr with Conky messing with mtpaint fixed
- ASRI's gui for icon-switcher included
- openssl 1.0.1i included in LxPup
- latest lxpanel0.6.2 in CompizPup (lxpanel0.7.0 just released so coming soon)

simes

PDF viewers

#338 Post by simes »

In a spirit of helpfulness, I hope, can I report that the PDF viewers are not working in LXPupTahr 14.08. Evince reports that application type pdf is unsupported (!) and Zathura crashes when opening any pdf document. If I ought to be testing 14.08.1 instead now, please say and I'll happily install it.

[EDIT] Have also found that mtpaint does not start (as reported further up the chain), but I am not using Conky.

peebee

Re: PDF viewers

#339 Post by peebee »

simes wrote:In a spirit of helpfulness, I hope, can I report that the PDF viewers are not working in LXPupTahr 14.08. Evince reports that application type pdf is unsupported (!) and Zathura crashes when opening any pdf document. If I ought to be testing 14.08.1 instead now, please say and I'll happily install it.

[EDIT] Have also found that mtpaint does not start (as reported further up the chain), but I am not using Conky.
Thanks for the report - would it be possible for you to test whether the problems you are seeing exist on Puppy Tahr 5.8.3 or whether the changes to get to LxPupTahr14.08 have introduced them?

Thanks
peebee

simes

#340 Post by simes »

peebee wrote:
simes wrote:In a spirit of helpfulness, I hope, can I report that the PDF viewers are not working in LXPupTahr 14.08. Evince reports that application type pdf is unsupported (!) and Zathura crashes when opening any pdf document. If I ought to be testing 14.08.1 instead now, please say and I'll happily install it.

Thanks for the report - would it be possible for you to test whether the problems you are seeing exist on Puppy Tahr 5.8.3 or whether the changes to get to LxPupTahr14.08 have introduced them?

Thanks
peebee
Hello peebee,
Good question. I've just created a new Tahrpup 5.8.3 frugal install with no modifications to test this. Sorry to say, the pdf viewers and mtpaint all work so the problem does seem to be introduced by the changes to make LXpup. I was using LXpup 14.08, not 14.08.1. I can try 14.08.1 if it would help you.

Regards,
simes.

peebee

#341 Post by peebee »

Hi Simes

Thanks for testing with Puppy Tahr.

In my testing on LxPupTahr, evince, zathura and mtpaint all run OK - the problem lies in the mime associations to associate a file with an application.

I don't know why LxPupTahr with evince and zathura behaves differently to LxPup (Slacko flavour) with epdfviewer (although I have noticed that a utility called update-mime-database is present on LxPup and missing on LxPupTahr).

The associations you require can be established in pcmanfm by right clicking on a pdf file and choosing open-with and then selecting evince and ticking use this application as default.

Or you can open the files via rox-filer.....

Similarly for various graphic file types and mtpaint. The problem here is that the mtpaint .desktop file has a different name in TahrPuppy from Slacko.

There are 2 .desktop files for zathura and the one in the menu calls zathura_gui.desktop which opens a file chooser rather than the pdf directly. If you want to have zathura open as default you will need to edit the zathura.desktop file so that a menu entry appears which can be chosen - basically copy the missing lines from the zakura_gui.desktop.

I'll see if I can implement a fix for the next version.

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee

zagreb999

lxpup-thar

#342 Post by zagreb999 »

To Mr. Peebee!

Thanks very much!

Your Lxpup-thar is very, very good!
I made remaster with XFCE.
Great!
-----
But: Smtube and Smplayer can not
open Youtube....
Smtube can not record...

Regards.

peebee

LxPup fix pet

#343 Post by peebee »

Here is a small fix pet to tackle the problems simes has identified with mime associations.

Do not load this pet if you have already made changes to mime associations - either by using Open-With or by loading the Right-Clicks option.

The pet adds the associations for evince and zathura to open pdf files and makes evince the default application.

It also renames the mtpaint-image-editor.desktop file to make it consistent with Slacko.

Whilst testing I've also found that LxTerminal does not work on LxPupTahr14.08 so further fix to come.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lxtahr_fix-02.pet
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

simes

Re: LxPup fix pet

#344 Post by simes »

peebee wrote:Here is a small fix pet to tackle the problems simes has identified with mime associations.

Do not load this pet if you have already made changes to mime associations - either by using Open-With or by loading the Right-Clicks option.

The pet adds the associations for evince and zathura to open pdf files and makes evince the default application.

It also renames the mtpaint-image-editor.desktop file to make it consistent with Slacko.

Whilst testing I've also found that LxTerminal does not work on LxPupTahr14.08 so further fix to come.

Cheers
peebee
Hello peebee,
Thank you for responding to my observations. I was about to try making the changes to mime associations that you described, but then saw your PET above, so I have installed that instead. However - and I fear I'm not helping you as much as I would like to, here - the PET did not change any behaviour on my system. MTPaint won't,start, Evince won't open any PDF and Zathura crashes when the 'Open PDF' button is clicked. Also - and not a problem - LX Terminal DOES work for me, both before and after installing the PET. It's clear that my installation and yours are behaving differently. Mine is a frugal install using the new save-to-folder option. Would you like me to try a different install?

peebee

#345 Post by peebee »

simes wrote:..... It's clear that my installation and yours are behaving differently. Mine is a frugal install using the new save-to-folder option. Would you like me to try a different install?
I'm testing on LxPupTahr14.08.01 manual frugal install.....but in a difference to you either without a savefile or with a traditional 2fs savefile (its an ntfs formatted partition). I will test again with the new savefolder.

Could you download 14.08.01 and verify the md5 is correct and test on that please?

evince, zathura and mtpaint are all running correctly in my tests....

Can you run them all in a terminal and pm me any diagnostic messages produced?

Thanks

simes

#346 Post by simes »

peebee wrote: Could you download 14.08.01 and verify the md5 is correct and test on that please?

evince, zathura and mtpaint are all running correctly in my tests....

Can you run them all in a terminal and pm me any diagnostic messages produced?

Thanks
Hello again
Done! I have downloaded 14.08.01 and verified the md5, and saved the new install to a folder. Now my system behaves like yours; evince, zathura and mtpaint all run correctly, LXTerminal does not start. Also (very minor point) the Simple Network Setup tool fails to load my RT61 network card driver on second and subsequent boots but Network Wizard does it correctly. (SNS works fine on other puppies.) By the way I did not install the 'mime settings' PET on 14.08.01 - no need, it seems. I have not sent a PM - no diagnostic messages.

I like these LXpups very much, many thanks.

peebee

#347 Post by peebee »

simes wrote:Hello again
Done! I have downloaded 14.08.01 and verified the md5, and saved the new install to a folder. Now my system behaves like yours; evince, zathura and mtpaint all run correctly, LXTerminal does not start. Also (very minor point) the Simple Network Setup tool fails to load my RT61 network card driver on second and subsequent boots but Network Wizard does it correctly. (SNS works fine on other puppies.) By the way I did not install the 'mime settings' PET on 14.08.01 - no need, it seems. I have not sent a PM - no diagnostic messages.

I like these LXpups very much, many thanks.
Great! Just what I was hoping to hear. The fix pet does do a few useful things - it makes pdf files clickable to open them, and it makes urxvt the terminal program in pcmanfm avoiding lxterminal and it makes mtpaint compatible with the right-clicks option add-on.

So all useful results which will appear in 14.08.02 edition.....where lxterminal will work!

Cheers & thanks
peebee

peebee

Add a different desktop environment to LxPup

#348 Post by peebee »

ONLY APPLY TO LxPup14.08 Slacko flavour or later

Download and install the sfs for the Desktop Environment from:
http://lx-pup.weebly.com/desktop-environments.html

then install the switch pet below (the jwm switch of course needs no sfs)

To revert back to LXDE just uninstall the switch pet.

The "plan" is to include the switch pets is the next iso with a Desktop Environment switcher in the options.

The difficult part of switching DE is to get the menu right - particularly to make sure that only the desktop appearance menu items appropriate to the DE appear - I haven't done that for this exercise other than to a limited extent so the menus will have some inappropriate items.

Note that Compiz requires a reboot after installation for the Beryl window manager to work properly.

and LxQt needs a reboot after installation of the Qt4 sfs and before the switch pet is installed otherwise Qt doesn't work and the switch won't work.

Thanks go to Jejy69 for some of the sfs's.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
lx_jwm_switch-1.pet
no sfs needed for this one
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
lx_mate_switch-1.pet
(10.3 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
lx_kde_switch-1.pet
(4.58 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
lx_xfce_switch-1.pet
(64.66 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
lx_compiz_switch-1.pet
(170.25 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

peebee

LxPupTahr 14.09

#349 Post by peebee »

LxPupTahr 14.09 is now available from SF.net.
md5 from SF.net - click on little "i"

Based on TahrPup 5.8.3.rc1 from 666philb with kernel 3.14.11 including the ydrv update from shinobar.

PcManFM (and libfm) is updated to version 1.2.2

OpenSSL is updated to version 1.0.1i

Broadcom STA wifi driver is added.

MtPaint is also added so that graphic right-clicks work (and there seems to be problems with AZPainter).

The browser included in TahrPup is PaleMoon but Chromium37 can be added.

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Tue 14 Oct 2014, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

Re: LxPupTahr 14.09

#350 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:LxPupTahr 14.09 is now available from SF.net.
Downloaded and running well on my Fujitsu S6230 Pentium M ipw2200 laptop. The only things I had to do to get running were to swap in the 3.15.4 kernel to allow forcepae as a kernel parameter for the Pentium M and add acpid to the Startup Apps using the control panel to get lidsuspend working. Sound, video, connection all good. My personal theme and tray prefs, external Opera .desktop, Gvolwheel, PWF 2.9 using a static IP tweaks and voila!

Edit: Couple of days steady use now. Vattery added, printing set up, not much else changed. Seems even more robust than the Slacko based 14.07 if that's possible. Miss the Slacko repos a bit but all in all this seems 'better' to me.
Attachments
puppy_lxtahr_14.09.jpg
(43.75 KiB) Downloaded 4389 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.