LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
B.K. Johnson

LxPup-14.03 Feedback

#301 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hello all

I met LXpup 14.0. She ws beautiful but empty-headed (no apps). I introduced her to ndiswrapper and she took me for a stroll with Firefox. Big mistake on her part because on the way I met her more buxom (more apps) and just as beautiful sister (14.03.1), Need I say I fell in love. Ever since we met I have ditched my other girls: precise, slacko-5.7. Apart from her good looks, what else do I like you ask? For starters, she is snappy, there is a professional air about her, the 3 level menu (instead of cramping in 2), the revamped Menu and sorted to heck so I don't have to scramble to find an app, and every application I tried worked. Most delightful was Updates Manager which advised in a Tooltip that the list will auto-update on start of the program if more than 2 days old and though Seamonkey and Firefox will always appear, they won't install if they're up to date and you try to install. Nice touch. Was that in Slacko-5.7? Didn't see! It's so good to have the most current Seamonkey readily available; 01Micko never puts it in the PPM :wink: .

We are still on the honeymoon.

==serious tone on===

After setting up LXpup 14.0, I installed Firefox via Updates Manager. I used the pupsave from that installation when setting up 14.03.1. Mozilla subsequently prompted me to download the most up to date Firefox which I did, and unpacked to /tmp. Didn't know what to do with it after. Thought I'd ask here but guess what? It has installed itself; I now have Firefox-24.6.0ESR and /tmp empty. No muss, no fuss.

Thanks peebee. Wonderful effort!

B.K. Johnson

cicerosc

LXQT version

#302 Post by cicerosc »

Peebee are you working on an LXQT version? Any hope of that?

peebee

Re: LXQT version

#303 Post by peebee »

cicerosc wrote:Peebee are you working on an LXQT version? Any hope of that?
I have had a play.....

Sort of worked but quite a few bugs to be squashed....

I think there may be dependencies and system structure assumptions that mean it will be hard to get going on the Slacko5.7 base.

Also, I'm not sure I completely like some aspects of LXQT....

I may try the new Tahr Puppy instead as the base....

I'll post something when I have made more progress - which might take a little while....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

XP Refugee

#304 Post by XP Refugee »

what happened my post?

peebee

Mate on LxPup14.03.1

#305 Post by peebee »

XP Refugee wrote:what happened my post?
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS MATE SFS IS UNSUPPORTED & that jejy69 is no longer active on the forum.....

Download and install the Mate sfs from the link at:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 283#727283

Drop out to the terminal - Session Control - Log Out
Type:

Code: Select all

xwin mate-session
Your first change will probably need to be to add Session Control to the panel or desktop (it is in the Utility menu) as the Mate logout drops you out to the terminal.

Please post any comments or requests for help to:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86827

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-06-21_090152.png
(179.51 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

XP Refugee

#306 Post by XP Refugee »

thanks muchly. I'm planning on getting a couple more USB sticks to put other versions on, to fiddle with. Pity JayJe69 dropped out, I think this one has potential.
BTW, what DID happen to my post? Did I do/say something wrong?

peebee

#307 Post by peebee »

XP Refugee wrote:BTW, what DID happen to my post? Did I do/say something wrong?
I suspect that your copy/paste process brought across some characters that stopped the post displaying.....

Marv

#308 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
XP Refugee wrote:BTW, what DID happen to my post? Did I do/say something wrong?
I suspect that your copy/paste process brought across some characters that stopped the post displaying.....
I dimly recall that a leading space in a url (dimly he recalls) field prevented message from displaying. Edited that out and it popped up.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

greengeek

#309 Post by greengeek »

Hi peebee,
I would like to try LxPupPrecise-14.02-retro but the only clickable link I see on page 1 is for the devx. Am I reading it wrong or have the main links been switched off? Thx.

peebee

#310 Post by peebee »

greengeek wrote:Hi peebee,
I would like to try LxPupPrecise-14.02-retro but the only clickable link I see on page 1 is for the devx. Am I reading it wrong or have the main links been switched off? Thx.
Use the Download-2 link on line 1

or

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.02/

greengeek

#311 Post by greengeek »

Thanks, downloading now.

Jejy69

#312 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Peebee,

Nice, lxpup is alive ! Good job :)

I updated MATE 1.8.1 in the "Desktop" section. I'll be present to solve bugs, I'm in holiday

Cheers,
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

Volhout

jejy69

#313 Post by Volhout »

Hi Jejy69,

Your holiday is early (for France). I hope your study is proceeding succesfull.

Volhout

peebee

#314 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello Peebee,

Nice, lxpup is alive ! Good job :)

I updated MATE 1.8.1 in the "Desktop" section. I'll be present to solve bugs, I'm in holiday

Cheers,
Welcome back jejy69 - good to hear from you again - enjoy your holiday.... :D

Slacko6 is in preparation and will probably lead to LxPup 14.7 once released (I forecast).

LXQT and a Slacko6-64 version of LxPup are challenges awaiting effort.....

If you were able to update the LxPup home page to reflect what has happened while you have been busy elsewhere, then I think that would reduce some confusion that exists.

Cheers
peebee

Jejy69

#315 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello,

@Volhout : Better early than later ! :D Studies are progressing well.

@peebee : Thanks you. For LXQT, I'm not interessted at all. I have another project. And I do not want to invest much in too many projects as before. One or two things, but well done (MATE).
For my Website, I'll edit it shortly. But why did not you change the name to avoid conflicts ?

Cheers,
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

peebee

#316 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:But why did not you change the name to avoid conflicts ?
Hi Jejy69

I liked the name :wink: and I considered my versions to be direct "descendents" of your trailblazing LxPup13.01.

I chose month of release naming - so there was no confusion whilst we were in 2013 with 13.10 and 13.11 versions - but then 2014 arrived and 14.02 and 14.03 versions were released - and because you had created your LxPup14 version with more radical departures from traditional Puppy (different pm), this is where some confusion crept in.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

New version 14.07 for testing

#317 Post by peebee »

I've uploaded a 14.07 version of LxPup for testing:

LxPup-14.07-s-nopae.iso

It's based on Slacko6Beta2 (Slacko5.9.3) so is based on Slackware 14.1 components and has kernel 3.4.94 no-pae. (thanks to 01micko)

pcmanfm (and libfm) have been updated to latest version 1.2.1

pup-volume-monitor has been patched to work with the new savefolders (thanks to gyro)

gvfs and menu-cache have also been updated.

I've included the Broadcom wl 223.141 driver and also updated libblkid.so for f2fs partitions (thanks to SFR)

Main changes you will notice are in addition to Slacko6 changes: the trash can on the desktop; partitions no longer display twice in pcmanfm when mounted; sfs/iso/2fs etc. mounting changed

On the last, feedback is requested - there are 3 possibilities as to how sfs/iso/2fs etc. files could be displayed when clicked - in a new pcmanfm window; in a new pcmanfm tab; in a rox window - I've implemented the 1st (a new window) but welcome feedback on whether this is the best option.

LxPup14.07 won't go to release until Slacko6 goes to release so may be 14.08 on release.....or 14.09....or....

I may also update some more components to Slackware14.1 standard before release.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(191.55 KiB) Downloaded 2055 times
Last edited by peebee on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 17:56, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

Re: New version 14.07 for testing

#318 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:I've uploaded a 14.07 version of LxPup for testing:

LxPup-14.07-s-nopae.iso

It's based on Slacko6Beta2 (Slacko5.9.3) so is based on Slackware 14.1 components and has kernel 3.4.94 no-pae. (thanks to 01micko)

pcmanfm (and libfm) have been updated to latest version 1.2.1

pup-volume-monitor has been patched to work with the new savefolders (thanks to gyro)

gvfs and menu-cache have also been updated.

I've included the Broadcom wl driver and also updated libblkid.so for f2fs partitions (thanks to SFR)

Main changes you will notice are in addition to Slacko6 changes: the trash can on the desktop; partitions no longer display twice in pcmanfm when mounted; sfs/iso/2fs etc. mounting changed

On the last, feedback is requested - there are 3 possibilities as to how sfs/iso/2fs etc. files could be displayed when clicked - in a new pcmanfm window; in a new pcmanfm tab; in a rox window - I've implemented the 1st (a new window) but welcome feedback on whether this is the best option.

LxPup14.07 won't go to release until Slacko6 goes to release so may be 14.08 on release.....or 14.09....or....

I may also update some more components to Slackware14.1 standard before release.

Cheers
peebee
All good here on the Pentium M ipw2200 laptop. Pristine frugal install, Set up new savefile then added in my customizations. Panel now comes up without a mouseclick on boot on the Pentium M 1.6GHz, more what people are used to. Changed to my usual themes and wallpaper ok. Installed rightclicks pet using Menu>Desktop>Change Appearance>Options. Connection using Frisbee fine OOTB. I'll play with the drop wait time later. It's pretty kernel dependent. Set at 15 secs for now. Sound fine OOTB. Added .desktops for my external browsers etc. Simplegtkradio works well. Laptop lid suspend works OOTB.

I strongly favor opening a new pcmanfm window for sfs/iso/2fs display (option 1).

Not much else to say except..

Edit: Just slipped a couple of items into a savefile (another pup in the Grub4Dos kennel) for testing. Really like the new 2fs opening scheme. Makes it much easier to remember what I'm juggling :?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

Kernel change easy peasy

#319 Post by peebee »

Wow - that was easy!!

Just changed the LxPup14.07 kernel to k3.14.11-pae as described by 666philb over in the tahrpup thread - see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 482#788482

All you do is download the kernel pack, unpack it, rename the zdrv to be lxpup14.07 compatible and then replace vmlinuz and zdrv - frugal install of course....and reboot

The only problem I foresee is obtaining a compatible devx.sfs for the new kernel - do I use the tahrpup devx in LxPup I wonder hmmmmm....will have to try compiling the new Broadcom 223.248 driver.....yep, that worked

cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

Kernel change... Wow

#320 Post by Marv »

Posting from Lxpup 14.07 with kernel 3.15.4 swapped in per above. Indeed easy peasy :!: The 3.15.4 kernel is a PAE kernel but compiled with the patches required to allow booting from the 'PAE but non-PAE flag' Banias Pentium Ms. Of interest to old Pentium farts :? Screenshot attached as proof of pudding. I'm particularly interested in how this pup/kernel handles lid suspend under acpid.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Kernel 3.15.4 in Lxpup 14.07 on Banias Pentium M
(67.42 KiB) Downloaded 1642 times