Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 05:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 19 of 24 [347 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 03 May 2014, 15:14    Post subject:  

Marv wrote:
this leaves lx-autostart as a visible file in .config and maybe maybe finally gets rid of the offending .wh file.

In posts further down is another fix pet to try - it implements Marv's suggestion to keep lx-autostart undeleted, but also works ok if anybody happens to use ctrl-alt-backspace to drop out to the console instead of the Session Control menu item.

Also tested to work ok with the Boot Manager - manage startup apps

Hope this solves chris-w's problems....

[edit]re-uploaded 050514

Cheers
peebee

Last edited by peebee on Mon 05 May 2014, 04:41; edited 2 times in total
Chris_W

PostPosted: Sat 03 May 2014, 22:26    Post subject:  

Marv, PeeBee,

Thanks you both for all your help and patience! I really appreciate it - I do wonder if these problems happen with others, or just me tho... and whether it's a function of my particular hardware setup (eeepc 701 booting frugal from a cheap usb 4Gig flashstick, formatted fat32).

I commented out the line Marv suggested, and have noted that even after a session this morning on multiple docs, firefox etc, it rebooted fine.

Strangely when I look at it now though, while the root/.config/ folder has both autostart and lx-autostart folders, if I mount the pup save file directly it's version of the root/.config/ folder has only the lx-autostart folder.

I guess this means the autostart folder is in the ram layer of the filesystem... is this what we would be expecting?

Regardless, it does seem to be working.
When I get a bit more time I'll put in your .pet PeeBee.

cheers Chris_W
ps. Retrovol started up ok this time, but often seems to come up 'hidden' in the tray, & I need to restart it... Not sure why.
Marv

PostPosted: Sat 03 May 2014, 23:12    Post subject:  

Chris_W wrote:
Marv, PeeBee,

Thanks you both for all your help and patience! I really appreciate it - I do wonder if these problems happen with others, or just me tho... and whether it's a function of my particular hardware setup (eeepc 701 booting frugal from a cheap usb 4Gig flashstick, formatted fat32).

I commented out the line Marv suggested, and have noted that even after a session this morning on multiple docs, firefox etc, it rebooted fine.

Strangely when I look at it now though, while the root/.config/ folder has both autostart and lx-autostart folders, if I mount the pup save file directly it's version of the root/.config/ folder has only the lx-autostart folder.

I guess this means the autostart folder is in the ram layer of the filesystem... is this what we would be expecting?

Regardless, it does seem to be working.
When I get a bit more time I'll put in your .pet PeeBee.

cheers Chris_W
ps. Retrovol started up ok this time, but often seems to come up 'hidden' in the tray, & I need to restart it... Not sure why.

The autostart folder should not show up in the save file. It is created from lx-autostart on boot and then any changes made during the run are copied back into lx-autostart on shutdown and autostart is removed. This shuffle is necessary to get lxpanelx up and working. So seems ok on that count.

Retrovol is quite timing dependent. No problems at all on my core 2 duo lappie but dicey getting a clean panel start on the Pentium Ms. In the beginning, I played with timing and also started it with a script, not a .desktop, in /root/Startup. I'm currently using gvolwheel-0.7 from the repository instead and starting it using the .desktop attached in /root/.config/autostart. I like it much better on this old laptop..seems a bit resource lighter, starts cleanly, and lets me switch the default mixer bar from main to pcm easily.
volwheel.desktop.gz
Description  example .desktop to start gvolwheel from autostart directory
gz

Download 
Filename  volwheel.desktop.gz 
Filesize  121 Bytes 
Downloaded  44 Time(s) 

Chris_W

PostPosted: Sun 04 May 2014, 00:19    Post subject:  

Thanks Marv,

That's very helpful to understand, and v useful tip re gvolwheel-0.7.
Will give that & the .desktop link a try when I get another chance.

cheers Chris_W
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 04 May 2014, 02:19    Post subject:  

Chris_W wrote:

Hopefully the .pet should cure that - it seems to be some sort of timing problem caused by the time taken to generate the new svg icons in Slacko5.7 - the fix was provided by 01micko and is basically to delay the tray startup by killing any tray processes that have started and then restarting them - but this only needs to happen if autostart was present at bootup time. If you still have problems you could try adjusting the sleeps in z-lxde-startup.sh

As these are timing problems, they manifest differently depending on the overall speed of the pc - the speed of the cpu and the speed of the storage medium.

I've tidied up the logic in the fix pet - no different in functionality - and re-uploaded it with version 050514.

I've tested it on my old and very slow Thinkpad 600e (running frugal install off the internal hard disk) and it behaved as expected.

Last edited by peebee on Mon 05 May 2014, 04:43; edited 1 time in total
Marv

PostPosted: Sun 04 May 2014, 20:24    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:

I've tidied up the logic in the fix pet - no different in functionality - and re-uploaded it with version 040514.

I've tested it on my old and very slow Thinkpad 600e (running frugal install off the internal hard disk) and it behaved as expected.

Version 040514 installed to both 1.6GHz Pentium M laptops (Grub4Dos frugal installs on ide to cf card adapters) and pfix=fsck removed from their LxPup menu items. Both wmrestarting, rebooting, shutting down and starting up fine at this time. The 3 second sleep in z-lxde-startup.sh seems just about optimum for these machines. LxPup is the default OS on both so it'll get tested further.

peebee

PostPosted: Mon 05 May 2014, 04:40    Post subject:  

Sorry folks - another tweak - added some extra delay just for initial boot as I got the dreaded retrovol problem on my desktop....a case of it being too quick I think....
startup_shutdown_fix-050514.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  startup_shutdown_fix-050514.pet 
Filesize  1.11 KB 
Downloaded  43 Time(s) 

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 08 May 2014, 10:14    Post subject: Service Pack 1  

Service Pack 1 deltas are available from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.03/Service%20Pack%20Updates/

FOR TESTING PLEASE before I upload the full isos

Service Pack 1 8-may-2014
Apply these delta files to isos dated 27-mar-2014 - suggest check md5 against Sourceforge first

Changes are:
- updated systray/panel management as discussed above
- openssl updated to version 1.0.1.g
- Slacko patch pet sfs-mgr-patch-1.pet applied

New md5 after applying delta should be:
35525944c5348b598cc08fcb3a21545e LxPup-14.03-s-pae-sp1.iso
bbfbdf9dda53deddac47331b1659a70f LxPup-14.03-s-nopae-sp1.iso

Marv

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2014, 11:26    Post subject: Re: Service Pack 1  

peebee wrote:
Service Pack 1 deltas are available from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup14.03/Service%20Pack%20Updates/

FOR TESTING PLEASE before I upload the full isos

Service Pack 1 8-may-2014
Apply these delta files to isos dated 27-mar-2014 - suggest check md5 against Sourceforge first

Changes are:
- updated systray/panel management as discussed above
- openssl updated to version 1.0.1.g
- Slacko patch pet sfs-mgr-patch-1.pet applied

New md5 after applying delta should be:
35525944c5348b598cc08fcb3a21545e LxPup-14.03-s-pae-sp1.iso
bbfbdf9dda53deddac47331b1659a70f LxPup-14.03-s-nopae-sp1.iso

Non-pae service pack downloaded and applied. Md5 correct. Startup-shutdown pet removed from savefile, reboot with the new .sfs from the iso generated.

Systray files all look and work correctly through a few reboots/wmrestarts etc on the 1.6GHz Pentium M laptop, both from the standard ide/cf card install and from a syslinux install to an older transcend usb stick booted using plop on this machine.

openssl version and openssl version -b still show the following but I believe this is incorrect. How to check?
Quote:
# openssl version -b
built on: Mon Jan 13 17:47:29 CST 2014
# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014

sfs-mgr in /usr/sbin updated correctly to version in the patch.

Onward... and a plug for LxPup on this 'middle aged hardware'. Reliable, complete, slacko support, and pretty darn snappy Very Happy

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2014, 13:17    Post subject: Re: Service Pack 1  

Marv wrote:
openssl version and openssl version -b still show the following but I believe this is incorrect. How to check?

Hi Marv

Thanks for testing....

On a pristine frugal install I get:
Code:
# openssl version -b
built on: Tue Apr  8 09:00:45 CDT 2014
# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
#

Can you test with a pfix=clean boot? - probably best on a savefile copy.

Thanks
peebee

Marv

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2014, 15:27    Post subject: Re: Service Pack 1  

peebee wrote:
Marv wrote:

Hi Marv

Thanks for testing....

On a pristine frugal install I get:
Code:
# openssl version -b
built on: Tue Apr  8 09:00:45 CDT 2014
# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
#

Can you test with a pfix=clean boot? - probably best on a savefile copy.

Thanks
peebee

Tested first with pristine frugal (pfix=ram). Get the correct 1.0.1.g openssl version. Then looked in my savefile and indeed there is a version 1.0.0.f openssl though I never installed an openssl pet etc. No changes made to save file. Then rebooted with pfix=clean. Now gives the correct 1.0.1.g openssl version and so far as I can tell the only thing whinged was my panel. Brought back retrovol etc. Fixed that and will continue to run this 'cleaned' savefile and see if anything else is affected. Only pets installed on this system are:

lx_right_clicks-0.3
wifitray-0.4alpha-lx
lidsuspend
vattery_acpitool
ipw2200_firmware-3.1.5
gvolwheel-0.7
simplegtkradio-0.1.16
hplip_print-3.12.10a|
lxpup_help-1.0
libsoup-2.38.1

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 09 May 2014, 16:18    Post subject: Re: Service Pack 1  

Marv wrote:
Then looked in my savefile and indeed there is a version 1.0.0.f openssl though I never installed an openssl pet etc.

Thanks Marv - I too have no idea why openssl gets moved into the savefile.....

Looks like I may have to do a version number increment in order to force an upgrade to occur with existing savefiles. Sad

Cheers
peebee

Chris_W

PostPosted: Sat 10 May 2014, 03:30    Post subject:  

I see I'm late for the party, but, I've

updated the .iso with the delta
done a fresh frugal install and made sure the new .sfs is being used
created a save file
mucked around with all the stuff that caused me tray starting probs previously
shutdown and restarted a couple of times

I can confirm that this is working very well on an ASUS eeepc 701 4G using the non-pae sp1 .iso

I also checked the openssl.
It's the g version when typing 'openssl version' from the terminal.

The only difference from your results is that I do not appear to have openssl turning up in the save file (in /usr/bin/ )
but of course this is a fresh instal.

I haven't tried to check the .sfs patch as I'm not aware of what the change is on that.

cheers Chris_W
Chris_W

PostPosted: Sat 10 May 2014, 04:09    Post subject:  

One thing I forgot to mention:

I do have a problem which I see on this update which was also on the last one: when I try to use Suspend from the Session Control tab, nothing happens (other than a message saying 'Suspending...')
I've noticed on the 14.03 version (not sp1) that suspend does work when the usb frugal install is totally pristine. But as soon as I've done anything much with it, it stops working...

Any ideas?

cheers Chris_W
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 10 May 2014, 04:27    Post subject:  

Chris_W wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention:

I do have a problem which I see on this update which was also on the last one: when I try to use Suspend from the Session Control tab, nothing happens (other than a message saying 'Suspending...')
I've noticed on the 14.03 version (not sp1) that suspend does work when the usb frugal install is totally pristine. But as soon as I've done anything much with it, it stops working...

Any ideas?

cheers Chris_W

Suspending is one of those "tricky" areas I think as it depends so much on how the hardware interacts with the kernel via acpi....

You could try running /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh in a terminal and see if there are any error messages....that is all the button on the session control does

cheers
peebee

Page 19 of 24 [347 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: