LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Chris_W

#256 Post by Chris_W »

PeeBee,

Booted Up this morning to try your tweak. But it seems I was premature in signalling success. Got the 'Error No such file or directory' message again before I could apply the change, and neither /root/.config/autostart nor /root/.config/lx-autostart are present.

I haven't looked into these scripts at all, but after all my install configuring and a few reboots, I only once clicked on shutdown - which was after I thought the problem was beat.
Don't know if there is anything specifically different in the shutdown script from the reboot one?

I guess it's tricky to divine the failure mechanism here, but I suspect timing issues. Is it possible to add some logging to these scripts so I can collect results that might give more clues on failure mechanism?

I'm happy to run test scripts, tweak stuff - but my understanding of scripting is currently pretty slight (happy to learn tho).

Also, it looks like I now need to re-install again (based on your advice to do this if I lose these directories). If I were to take a copy of the root/.config/autostart directory next time I'm set up, would this allow me to simply replace it, next time I lose it? - or is there more to it - like variables being changed, etc...

cheers Chris_W

Marv

#257 Post by Marv »

Chris_W wrote:PeeBee,

Booted Up this morning to try your tweak. But it seems I was premature in signalling success. Got the 'Error No such file or directory' message again before I could apply the change, and neither /root/.config/autostart nor /root/.config/lx-autostart are present.

I haven't looked into these scripts at all, but after all my install configuring and a few reboots, I only once clicked on shutdown - which was after I thought the problem was beat.
Don't know if there is anything specifically different in the shutdown script from the reboot one?

I guess it's tricky to divine the failure mechanism here, but I suspect timing issues. Is it possible to add some logging to these scripts so I can collect results that might give more clues on failure mechanism?

I'm happy to run test scripts, tweak stuff - but my understanding of scripting is currently pretty slight (happy to learn tho).

Also, it looks like I now need to re-install again (based on your advice to do this if I lose these directories). If I were to take a copy of the root/.config/autostart directory next time I'm set up, would this allow me to simply replace it, next time I lose it? - or is there more to it - like variables being changed, etc...

cheers Chris_W
Yes, you need to get the lx-autostart back before trying the tweak. Couple of things to try prior to reinstalling if you haven't yet. Fschecking the save file may 'get' the needed lx-autostart back. Putting the kernel command pfix=fsck in the menu.lst entry (in grub4dos for me) and then rebooting or booting from a cd etc not using the save file and running e2fsck on the save file may do it. I have also just made a backup copy of it to use when 'lost'. Very interested in knowing if the change works for you once it is back.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Chris_W

#258 Post by Chris_W »

Thanks Marv,

At work now, but will try these things later. Will prob boot from another usb & see if I can use that to do the fscheck on the save file, etc.

cheers Chris_W

Chris_W

#259 Post by Chris_W »

PeeBee, Marv,

OK - so I booted an old pup, to look at my Lxpup 14.03 save file, and low and behold, root/.config/lx-autostart was there! Perhaps I was hasty checking this morning...
I made a backup copy of lx-autostart, shut down, and then booted from the LxPup 14.03 pup.
It came up with the 'Error No such file or directory' message, so I copied lx-autostart back in and renamed to autostart....

I then removed the previous .pet patch and applied the new one, and rebooted ........

It came up with the 'Error No such file or directory' message again.
On replacing autostart, powering down & booting, same result.

Should I try reinstalling, applying the fix .pet, and then testing it?
Any other tests you'd like me to try?

cheers Chris_W

Chris_W

#260 Post by Chris_W »

ps. I also just booted from a copy of the save file & then had a look at the state of the save file as it had been shut down.

The lx-autostart folder was in place. So I'm thinking the problem is not in the shutdown scripts, just the startup.

Chris_W

peebee

#261 Post by peebee »

Chris_W wrote:ps. I also just booted from a copy of the save file & then had a look at the state of the save file as it had been shut down.

The lx-autostart folder was in place. So I'm thinking the problem is not in the shutdown scripts, just the startup.

Chris_W
Hi Chris

Can you check that /root/Startup/z-lxde-startup.sh exists and that it is set to executable please?

Can you then click on it to run it manually and check that folder lx-autostart is replaced by autostart with same contents in /root/.config

Are you running off usb? Which filesystem is it formatted as?

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

#262 Post by Marv »

Chris_W wrote:ps. I also just booted from a copy of the save file & then had a look at the state of the save file as it had been shut down.

Chris_W
My guess is that the lx-autostart folder is in the save file but there is also a whiteout file for it (.wh). Did you try e2fscking the save file?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Chris_W

#263 Post by Chris_W »

PeeBee, Marv,

Marv is right.
When I boot up from another pup, and mount the pup save file for this one (or it's backup) I do see the .wh.lx-autostart file in the root/.config folder.

So I guess that means that on loading up into the layered file system, the folder simply just gets cancelled out. And the startup script will simply run, 'not seeing' it...

Marv, I didn't try fscking or e2fscking the save file. I guess when I saw what I was looking for, it didn't appear to be necessary (not to mention those two progs being completely new to me).

PeeBee, I have checked that root/Startup/z-lxde-startup.sh exists and that it is set to executable.

I then assumed that the obvious thing to do is to remove the .wh file from the pup save, shutdown the 'other' pup, and run up 14.03 pup, to see what happens...

Doing that now.... (remembering that this is with the .pet applied with the extra sleep in it)....

And - it all started up fine, including Retrovol.

So I guess that's a win for the new scripting - well done guys!

So now I understand that if one does ever lose root/.config/autostart,
1. shutdown,
2. boot from a different pup (or save file),
3. mount the save file in question, and look to see if root/.config/lx-autostart & its .wh.lx-autostart exist.
4. If they do, delete the .wh file, unmount, and
5. restart using the corrected save file.

cheers - Chris_W

Chris_W

#264 Post by Chris_W »

PeeBee, Marv

Bad news, back to seeing the same error again - with new script & all.
I can easily fix it now, but it seems it is not removing the possibility of this happening after a session where I use the machine for browsing for an hour then shutdown.

cheers Chris_W

Marv

#265 Post by Marv »

Chris_W wrote:PeeBee, Marv

Bad news, back to seeing the same error again - with new script & all.
I can easily fix it now, but it seems it is not removing the possibility of this happening after a session where I use the machine for browsing for an hour then shutdown.

cheers Chris_W
Hi Chris,

Try adding pfix=fsck to the syslinux.cfg file on your usb stick (I think that is how you were booting) and see if that changes anything on reboots. It will either be in the append line or if the file is only one line after pfix=usbflash. If using grub4dos, it is in the appropriate menu item in menu.lst.

Thanks for persevering,

Marv

Chris_W

#266 Post by Chris_W »

Hi Marv

After powering up to no error (I'd deleted the .wh file last night) a session editing spreadsheets, using firefox etc (often enough to create the error after a reboot), I read your post, so added that in.
syslinux.cfg now reads:

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
pfix=fsck

I then restarted from the menu, but unfortunately still got the same error.

cheers Chris_W

Chris_W

#267 Post by Chris_W »

Marv,

I had a bit more time, so I booted from another save file, and edited the one I've been used to get it's lx-autostart etc how it should be.

I noticed that on bootup I was getting a message about an unrecognised parameter, so re-read your message, and took the carriage return out of the syslinux.cfg so it all appeared on one line.

I then rebooted with the main save file (which it checked per your change), and everything started correctly. To test it (a little) I opened a bunch of spreadsheets, calculator, firefox - but I can't connect it to the internet here, so couldn't do too much.
On reboot, it came up fine.
However, I'll run it a few sessions over the next few days, to see if it still comes up ok.

cheers Chris_W
(noting potential success here ... hopefully)

Chris_W

#268 Post by Chris_W »

Marv, PeeBee,

After about 45mins uptime with firefox open to a few pages, then a reboot, back to the same error.
Wondering if it as something to do with layered filesystem -> save file interaction at shutdown.. Also thought it might be to do with auto pup saves during use, but can't see evidence for it...

Chris_W

Marv

#269 Post by Marv »

Chris_W wrote:Marv, PeeBee,

After about 45mins uptime with firefox open to a few pages, then a reboot, back to the same error.
Wondering if it as something to do with layered filesystem -> save file interaction at shutdown.. Also thought it might be to do with auto pup saves during use, but can't see evidence for it...

Chris_W
I'm almost certain it does have to do with a 'zero date' whiteout file that isn't taken care of at shutdown.
I'm assuming that the .wh.lx-autostart is back in the save file when the error occurs?
Running with basically exactly what you have on a Pentium M era laptop I haven't seen that error since the scripts were changed so I'll pull the pfix=fsck from my bootup menu, do some reboots, double check the relevant scripts in my OS against the pet and scratch my head a bit. Might be a day or two since we have sun and a bit of warmth for the first time in weeks and I might be able to scritch the garden.

Marv

#270 Post by Marv »

Marv wrote:

Chris_W
I'm almost certain it does have to do with a 'zero date' whiteout file that isn't taken care of at shutdown.
I'm assuming that the .wh.lx-autostart is back in the save file when the error occurs?
Running with basically exactly what you have on a Pentium M era laptop I haven't seen that error since the scripts were changed so I'll pull the pfix=fsck from my bootup menu, do some reboots, double check the relevant scripts in my OS against the pet and scratch my head a bit. Might be a day or two since we have sun and a bit of warmth for the first time in weeks and I might be able to scritch the garden.
Edit:

Chris. Open /root/Startup/z-lxde-startup.sh and comment out or delete line 11. That line is:
rm -rf $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/lx-autostart
Clean up the nasty lil .wh.lx-autostart file in your savefile and reboot. Let me know.

PeeBee, this leaves lx-autostart as a visible file in .config and maybe maybe finally gets rid of the offending .wh file.

peebee

#271 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:this leaves lx-autostart as a visible file in .config and maybe maybe finally gets rid of the offending .wh file.
In posts further down is another fix pet to try - it implements Marv's suggestion to keep lx-autostart undeleted, but also works ok if anybody happens to use ctrl-alt-backspace to drop out to the console instead of the Session Control menu item.

Also tested to work ok with the Boot Manager - manage startup apps

Hope this solves chris-w's problems....

[edit]re-uploaded 050514

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Mon 05 May 2014, 08:41, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Chris_W

#272 Post by Chris_W »

Marv, PeeBee,

Thanks you both for all your help and patience! I really appreciate it - I do wonder if these problems happen with others, or just me tho... and whether it's a function of my particular hardware setup (eeepc 701 booting frugal from a cheap usb 4Gig flashstick, formatted fat32).

I commented out the line Marv suggested, and have noted that even after a session this morning on multiple docs, firefox etc, it rebooted fine.

Strangely when I look at it now though, while the root/.config/ folder has both autostart and lx-autostart folders, if I mount the pup save file directly it's version of the root/.config/ folder has only the lx-autostart folder.

I guess this means the autostart folder is in the ram layer of the filesystem... is this what we would be expecting?

Regardless, it does seem to be working.
When I get a bit more time I'll put in your .pet PeeBee.

cheers Chris_W
ps. Retrovol started up ok this time, but often seems to come up 'hidden' in the tray, & I need to restart it... Not sure why.

Marv

#273 Post by Marv »

Thanks you both for all your help and patience! I really appreciate it - I do wonder if these problems happen with others, or just me tho... and whether it's a function of my particular hardware setup (eeepc 701 booting frugal from a cheap usb 4Gig flashstick, formatted fat32).

I commented out the line Marv suggested, and have noted that even after a session this morning on multiple docs, firefox etc, it rebooted fine.

Strangely when I look at it now though, while the root/.config/ folder has both autostart and lx-autostart folders, if I mount the pup save file directly it's version of the root/.config/ folder has only the lx-autostart folder.

I guess this means the autostart folder is in the ram layer of the filesystem... is this what we would be expecting?

Regardless, it does seem to be working.
When I get a bit more time I'll put in your .pet PeeBee.

cheers Chris_W
ps. Retrovol started up ok this time, but often seems to come up 'hidden' in the tray, & I need to restart it... Not sure why.
The autostart folder should not show up in the save file. It is created from lx-autostart on boot and then any changes made during the run are copied back into lx-autostart on shutdown and autostart is removed. This shuffle is necessary to get lxpanelx up and working. So seems ok on that count.

Retrovol is quite timing dependent. No problems at all on my core 2 duo lappie but dicey getting a clean panel start on the Pentium Ms. In the beginning, I played with timing and also started it with a script, not a .desktop, in /root/Startup. I'm currently using gvolwheel-0.7 from the repository instead and starting it using the .desktop attached in /root/.config/autostart. I like it much better on this old laptop..seems a bit resource lighter, starts cleanly, and lets me switch the default mixer bar from main to pcm easily.
Attachments
volwheel.desktop.gz
example .desktop to start gvolwheel from autostart directory
(121 Bytes) Downloaded 243 times

Chris_W

#274 Post by Chris_W »

Thanks Marv,

That's very helpful to understand, and v useful tip re gvolwheel-0.7.
Will give that & the .desktop link a try when I get another chance.

cheers Chris_W

peebee

#275 Post by peebee »

Chris_W wrote: ps. Retrovol started up ok this time, but often seems to come up 'hidden' in the tray, & I need to restart it... Not sure why.
Hopefully the .pet should cure that - it seems to be some sort of timing problem caused by the time taken to generate the new svg icons in Slacko5.7 - the fix was provided by 01micko and is basically to delay the tray startup by killing any tray processes that have started and then restarting them - but this only needs to happen if autostart was present at bootup time. If you still have problems you could try adjusting the sleeps in z-lxde-startup.sh

As these are timing problems, they manifest differently depending on the overall speed of the pc - the speed of the cpu and the speed of the storage medium.

I've tidied up the logic in the fix pet - no different in functionality - and re-uploaded it with version 050514.

I've tested it on my old and very slow Thinkpad 600e (running frugal install off the internal hard disk) and it behaved as expected.
Last edited by peebee on Mon 05 May 2014, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.