#181 Post by peebee »

LxPup-14.02-s-4g-230214.iso has been uploaded to:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... e-release/

contains bugfixes due to some excellent testing by Marv

+ the latest versions 1.2.0 of PcManFM and libfm

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sage

#182 Post by Sage »

Magic - everything works ootb, including FP, connection, video, sound -even on my quirkiest 64bit machine with SiS chipsets. Great combo with Slack-compliance, thanks, pb.

Volhout

storage file full

#183 Post by Volhout »

Thanks PeeBee,

I recoverd the lost storage after I deleted the file as you mentioned, AND emptied the trash can.....
It took me a while to realize the space would not be freed up as long as the trash wasn't empty....

Regards,

Volhout

peebee

LxPanel pet

#184 Post by peebee »

This pet:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... t/download

converts LxPup14.02 from LxPanelX to LxPanel

I personally much prefer LxPanelX but it doesn't seem to play too happily with Compiz so hence this pet has appeared.

To use, install the pet and then restart the window manager.

The optional top panel does not currently work with this pet.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

10gallons

#185 Post by 10gallons »

I'm downloading LxPup14.02 as I type. I'm new to Linux, with a windows tech background and am wanting to move away from windows to something that will make me think a bit more.

I looked at LxPup 13.0? and it looked great. The thing I like about Puppy is the amount of tech stuff that comes with it. Anyway, I fired up LxPup and ran free -m. I then fired up MacPup ran free -m and MacPup reported that it had 1GB more RAM than LxPup.

I've noticed that with other distros as well. Why is that?? I love LxPup, but giving up 1GB of RAM is a big call. Is there something I can do in LxPup to get that GB back???

As I said, I'm new to all this, so sorry if my question is stupid.

Thanks.

One more thing. At work we use a certificate and username/password combo to get onto the wireless network. In other distros I set up the profile using WPA2 ent. with PEAP, the trusted root cert and supply the username and password.

I ran up LxPup 14.02 just now, used all the connection utilities and can't setup my connection as I need it. Is there another way I can setup wireless network profiles???

Thanks again.

cthisbear

#186 Post by cthisbear »

10gallons:

" Is there another way I can setup wireless network profiles??? "

::::::::

You did try Frisbee???????????

Did your network drivers show up.

::::::::::::

Supply your specs....
Makes me want to don my Mandrake the Magician hat.

Tell us the brand...and model etc.

A real turn off for anyone trying to give out help.
And personally for me a pet hate.

My second turn off...people don't reply back...
whether we helped with a fix...or not.

At least we can scan other threads for a linux Fix.

Mandrake >>> moments.

Why people get poor answers.

They do not post their hardware.

They do not post their exact Puppy version.

They do not reply that our help works for them out or not.

They do not Edit their posts as solved.

Then they get ticked off that myself and others give them
a terse response.

Mandrake the Magician does not reside on the Puppy Forum.

But many caring souls do (myself excluded).

We are happy to help, some of us even love a problem.

So help us out here chum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_the_Magician

Chris.

10gallons

#187 Post by 10gallons »

Happy to help.

As I mentioned, new to Linux. What do I run to get a listing of the laptops hardware?

Yep, tried all 3 wireless setup options, none that I could see gave me the opportunity to browse for a certificate and add a logon username and password.

I do appreciate the help.

peebee

#188 Post by peebee »

10gallons wrote:giving up 1GB of RAM is a big call. Is there something I can do in LxPup to get that GB back???

Is there another way I can setup wireless network profiles???
Hi 10gallons

Welcome!

I don't know of any way to reduce memory usage I'm afraid - I'm not clear why you think its a problem - suggest you try using LxPup to do whatever tasks you want it to do and see if it performs OK for you. I can say however that I have run LxPup on my ancient Thinkpad with only 168MB of memory and although it's slow it does run. Also my laptop has only 2GB of memory and runs just fine. I'm not a MacPup user so can't compare I'm afraid.

As #cthisbear says - Frisbee is Puppy's best Network Manager - but I'm not sure what you mean by "certificates"?

Both questions would maybe be better asked in areas of the forum dealing with more general Linux / Puppy issues.

System - System - Hardinfo for hardware specs.

Cheers
peebee

10gallons

#189 Post by 10gallons »

Hi peebee,

I do alot of remote work on windows servers and often need a virtual machine open for one task and other things open for other tasks. My laptop is running out of ooomph and I can't afford a new one so I'm getting rid of windows and moving to linux as the linux footprint is much smaller.

The wireless network we use at work is pretty high security and the certificate is part of the security stuff.

I'll get the hardware specs in soon.

Thanks again.

peebee

#190 Post by peebee »

10gallons wrote:The wireless network we use at work is pretty high security and the certificate is part of the security stuff.
That may be beyond Puppy's "personal desktop" remit....

You may have to locate a Linux application compatible with your network....

There is a general Puppy networking thread - link - you will need to explain what you need clearly and exactly there for help.

Cheers
PeeBee

10gallons

#191 Post by 10gallons »

Thanks for the help PeeBee. I won't post up the output of the harware info tool as I feel it is taking the thread off topic & hate it when people do that, so I won't do it here.

I'll take a look at the network thread you gave a link to.

Thanks again, 14.02 looks great.

Marv

#192 Post by Marv »

10gallons wrote:
I looked at LxPup 13.0? and it looked great. The thing I like about Puppy is the amount of tech stuff that comes with it. Anyway, I fired up LxPup and ran free -m. I then fired up MacPup ran free -m and MacPup reported that it had 1GB more RAM than LxPup.

I've noticed that with other distros as well. Why is that?? I love LxPup, but giving up 1GB of RAM is a big call. Is there something I can do in LxPup to get that GB back???
A stab in the dark here... Macpup is based on Precise Puppy 5.50 or so and has a PAE kernel which uses all of the memory in the machine (normal human machines). Lxpup has a both a non-PAE kernel which is limited to 4Gb and a PAE kernel. That might explain the 1 Gb difference if you downloaded the non-PAE version.

Edited: Corrected wrt PAE kernel availability in Lxpup. I run non-PAE version :?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

10gallons

#193 Post by 10gallons »

Marv wrote:
10gallons wrote:

A stab in the dark here... Macpup is based on Precise Puppy 5.50 or so and has a PAE kernel which uses all of the memory in the machine (normal human machines). Lxpup has a both a non-PAE kernel which is limited to 4Gb and a PAE kernel. That might explain the 1 Gb difference if you downloaded the non-PAE version.

Edited: Corrected wrt PAE kernel availability in Lxpup. I run non-PAE version :?
I'll look into that Marv, you could be onto something. Thanks for the input, I'll post back what I find out. ;-)

peebee

LxPup14.03 etc.

#194 Post by peebee »

03-mar-2014 - LxPup14.03 available

LxPup-14.03-s-nopae.iso

Also Service Pack 1 isos for LxPupPrecise both pae and retro flavours from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... xPup14.02/
(updates PcManFm to version 1.2)

Conky is now included in Options.

Cheers
PeeBee
Last edited by peebee on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 13:29, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

Re: LxPup14.03 etc.

#195 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:03-mar-2014 - LxPup14.03 available

Conky is now included in Options.

Cheers
PeeBee
Hi PeeBee,
Downloading. Quick summary of other 14.02-14.03 changes? Helps in deciding what to prune from or whether to use the 14.02 savefile. I've been using Lxpup and Xprecise on the Pentium M machines regularly and phasing out the Boxpup and lina-lite :( New life for old teapots.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#196 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:Quick summary of other 14.02-14.03 changes?
Hi Marv

Nothing much really - your pupsave should update OK I think - main change is the inclusion of Conky as an option and this needed Wbar to be altered to be compatible and the common libImlib2 to be moved out of both pets into the iso/sfs.

The main iso/sfs hasn't changed from the 230214 version of 14.02 other than the bump up to 14.03

Cheers
Peebee

Marv

#197 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Marv wrote:Quick summary of other 14.02-14.03 changes?
Hi Marv

Nothing much really - your pupsave should update OK I think - main change is the inclusion of Conky as an option and this needed Wbar to be altered to be compatible and the common libImlib2 to be moved out of both pets into the iso/sfs.

The main iso/sfs hasn't changed from the 230214 version of 14.02 other than the bump up to 14.03

Cheers
Peebee
Savefile update went just fine. I'm not really carrying much other than personal customization in it. Panel config and startup, theme and icon (I've gone to all elementary) settings, print setup, ipw2200 firmware update (to 3.1.5), gvolwheel, vattery (my personal prefs) and the .desktops for external browsers. I use LibreOffice as an SFS when needed. Not much to report other than it runs efficiently and reliably on the target Pentium M lappies. Using a dropwait time of 5 seconds and the ipw2200 wireless connection is perfectly workable.

Volhout

#198 Post by Volhout »

Hi PeeBee,

This is the first time I test a Precise based LxPup (Always used Slacko based) but it looks good... Or is this the new CE version of Slacko ?.

Looking at your screenshot I wonder what I have to do to get Concky working. Is it in the iso, or do I need to get it from the repo ? Do I need the devx for it ?

I do like the sea wallpaper.

I noticed that when changing wallpaper, the transparency of the bar behind the status icons (network connectivity, volume control etc...) lags, and in some instances never adapts to the actual background color.

Another good Lx puppy ....

peebee

Re: 14.03

#199 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:Hi PeeBee,

This is the first time I test a Precise based LxPup (Always used Slacko based) but it looks good... Or is this the new CE version of Slacko ?.

Looking at your screenshot I wonder what I have to do to get Concky working. Is it in the iso, or do I need to get it from the repo ? Do I need the devx for it ?

I do like the sea wallpaper.

I noticed that when changing wallpaper, the transparency of the bar behind the status icons (network connectivity, volume control etc...) lags, and in some instances never adapts to the actual background color.

Another good Lx puppy ....
Hi Volhout

If you are trying 14.03 then that is Slacko5.6.5.6 derivative - i.e woof-ce based

Conky is in iso - /opt/lxpup-xtras - or Desktop - Change appearance - Options - Show all. No devx needed just load the pet.

Do a Windows restart (Session Control - WM Restart) after changing the wallpaper - or a reboot.

Thank Jejy69 for the wallpaper....although I added the LxPup bit ;-)

The Precise 14.02-sp1 versions should be equivalent in behaviour.

Cheers & thanks for testing
peebee

Volhout

ext2 fouten

#200 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

I am investigating the problem, but I noticed that on a frugal install (on USB stick) I get "EXT2-LOOKUP" problems , ending in a kernel panic, when restarting after I make a save file with everything set to default (512Mbyte, administratior, ext2).

After I made a 256Mbyte EXT3 save file all seems sound. So I will continue my investigation, and report back later.