LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#151 Post by Sage »

suggest deleting /usr/bin/lxclipboard
Interesting. First X-restart only thing working was DT prefences panel. CTL-ALT-BkSPCE and xwin brought everything back. Otherwise, yes, maybe it is a bit slicker, but get the feeling there are other things not quite right?

Marv

hardinfo in LxPup 180114

#152 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote: @Billtoo - do you see the Hardinfo problem on Slacko5.6.5.2 vanilla? I think it may be nvidia related but need to do more investigation.
Thanks
peebee
I also have the 'empty windows' in Hardinfo on my intel i915 laptop in 180114. I don't currently have a vanilla Slacko 5.6.5.2 but on a pristine boot (frugal install) into vanilla Slacko 5.6.5.1 on that laptop the issue is not there, Hardinfo starts up normally.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sage

#153 Post by Sage »

Yup - got the Hardinfo features, too. Can't even delete the blank windows!

peebee

#154 Post by peebee »

It's a theme problem - hardinfo doesn't like the Lubuntu-default theme - if you go into the Desktop - Change Appearance and select another theme - e.g. Nodoka-Aqua then the problem goes away.

I will delete the offending theme from the iso and ship with another default...

Many thanks to everybody for testing and finding this.

BTW - the same theme when selected in LxPup 13.11 has the same problem.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sage

#155 Post by Sage »

It's a theme problem
Too much choice? Couple of themes, 3or4 wallpapers should suffice, especially if those could be expanded as add-ons from the repo?

Billtoo

#156 Post by Billtoo »

peebee wrote:
@Billtoo - do you see the Hardinfo problem on Slacko5.6.5.2 vanilla? I think it may be nvidia related but need to do more investigation.

Thanks
peebee
Hi peebee,

I went back to my first install on the gateway desktop and changed the
theme, deleted the extra lxclipboard too and rebooted.

Hardinfo works fine now, the nvidia driver that I'm using is about a
week old.
About the only problem left that I know of is the built-in wireless
adapter is not supported.

Summary
Computer
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 3104MB (178MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System LxPup - 14.01
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 21 Jan 2014 04:11:24 PM EST
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-21_162005.jpg
(65.07 KiB) Downloaded 1739 times

Terry H

Duplicate dock displayed

#157 Post by Terry H »

I have had LXPup 13.11 as a frugal instal on my laptop for a couple of weeks now. Last night I noticed a strange occurrence. There was a second dock underneath the wbar dock. It was only visible when I clicked on the wbar icons. I have changed nothing that is included with LXPup.

I changed the wbar config file to move the wbar position to be able to view the second dock. I'm not sure what dock it was, but it contained both PacManFM and Rox icons.

After I restarted X at one point in attempting to check out what dock it was, it vanished. So this duplicate dock appeared and then disappeared.

Any ideas on which dock or how it may have just happened to appear?

peebee

Re: Duplicate dock displayed

#158 Post by peebee »

Terry H wrote:I have had LXPup 13.11 as a frugal instal on my laptop for a couple of weeks now. Last night I noticed a strange occurrence. There was a second dock underneath the wbar dock. It was only visible when I clicked on the wbar icons. I have changed nothing that is included with LXPup.

I changed the wbar config file to move the wbar position to be able to view the second dock. I'm not sure what dock it was, but it contained both PacManFM and Rox icons.

After I restarted X at one point in attempting to check out what dock it was, it vanished. So this duplicate dock appeared and then disappeared.

Any ideas on which dock or how it may have just happened to appear?
Very strange - from your description it sounds like the optional top panel - but that should only display if you've explicitly selected it.....same menu where wbar is as an option.

Can't explain it, but if it does appear again you can simply delete the panel by right clicking on a gap between the icons.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#159 Post by peebee »

250114 pre-release version of LxPup14.01 is available from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... reRelease/

also delta file from 180114 version.

a few bugs squashed, default theme changed to Nodoka Aqua, new woof-ce Fontmanager now works etc.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-25_075032.png
(129.91 KiB) Downloaded 1527 times

Marv

#160 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:250114 pre-release version of LxPup14.01 is available from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... reRelease/

also delta file from 180114 version.

a few bugs squashed, default theme changed to Nodoka Aqua, new woof-ce Fontmanager now works etc.

Cheers
peebee
Delta applied, boot with previous savefile (frugal Grub4Dos install on Fujitsu intel core 2 duo i915, iwlwifi lifebook). Boots and connects just fine. Lifes little mysteries.. Hardinfo now works fine with my adwaita, goldrush, and Openbox-Human-Like themes. Before applying the delta, it gave the extra boxes with those themes which I just closed and ignored.

One question. Changing themes, the Openbox menu (rightclick on desktop) follows the theme correctly, as do window borders, headers, colors, etc The main menu, browser menus, and the sidebar and selected item colors in PCmanFM do not. They seem to be set at some default active bg and selected item colors. .gtkrc-2.0, .Xdefaults, .Xresources all seem ok. Theme correct in the openbox conf file. Any suggestions where to look? I've played with quite a number of themes and this behavior seems consistent.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#161 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:One question. Changing themes, the Openbox menu (rightclick on desktop) follows the theme correctly, as do window borders, headers, colors, etc The main menu, browser menus, and the sidebar and selected item colors in PCmanFM do not. They seem to be set at some default active bg and selected item colors. .gtkrc-2.0, .Xdefaults, .Xresources all seem ok. Theme correct in the openbox conf file. Any suggestions where to look? I've played with quite a number of themes and this behavior seems consistent.
Marv has tracked this down to a problem with the librezlooks engine (my bad) which he has solved - thanks Marv - solution will be in next release.

vicmz

ZonColor themes

#162 Post by vicmz »

A pet with a collection of awesome themes for Openbox/LXDE & GTK:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 941#754941
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

peebee

LxPup14.02 available

#163 Post by peebee »

Release versions of:

LxPupPrecise-14.02-retro.iso [based on Precise 5.7.1 non-PAE k3.2.48]
fea30040038dbe66931730fd56f5164f
LxPupPrecise-14.02-pae.iso [based on Precise 5.7.1 PAE k3.9.11]
51eca92c6317e93b3820137cb426d732

are available from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... xPup14.02/

Pre-release version of:

LxPup-14.02-s-4g.iso [based on Slacko5.6.5.6 = Slacko5.7Beta - 4g k3.4.78]

is available from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... e-release/

Pets for Quirky-Tahr 6.0.x [k3.12.6]

are available from:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 489#762489

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-02-08_115357.png
(131 KiB) Downloaded 1355 times
Last edited by peebee on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

More updates

#164 Post by peebee »

Also updated to version 14.02:

1c576f40f701ec41d483bf1615b3ba24 LxPupRaring-14.02.iso

1c576f40f701ec41d483bf1615b3ba24 LxPupWheezy-14.02.iso

available from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... -flavours/

konaexpress

#165 Post by konaexpress »

I would like to say thanks to peebee for putting this version of Puppy together, nice job.

Looks like Puppy has come a long way, I have been watching it for a few years now and just got LxPup loaded on a USB drive. Really nice...

I do have a few questions tho....

1. I see that you have the Geany BaCon hack loaded but I do not see bacon.bash or the IDE. Any ideas as to finding this?

2. Is Python loaded in this version as I did not find it in the terminal app Lxterm?

3. Is there an easy way to hook up wifi than using the legacy app in Puppy? Having to type in an IP address is long gone in most modern distros these days. If not, I will deal with it......

Like I said, really nice job on this!

Best regards,
John

peebee

#166 Post by peebee »

konaexpress wrote:I would like to say thanks to peebee for putting this version of Puppy together, nice job.

Looks like Puppy has come a long way, I have been watching it for a few years now and just got LxPup loaded on a USB drive. Really nice...

I do have a few questions tho....

1. I see that you have the Geany BaCon hack loaded but I do not see bacon.bash or the IDE. Any ideas as to finding this?

2. Is Python loaded in this version as I did not find it in the terminal app Lxterm?

3. Is there an easy way to hook up wifi than using the legacy app in Puppy? Having to type in an IP address is long gone in most modern distros these days. If not, I will deal with it......

Like I said, really nice job on this!

Best regards,
John
Hi John #konaexpress

Thanks for the feedback...

Actually all your questions are against the base pup on which LxPup is built rather than LxPup itself....

Which 'flavour' of LxPup are you running?

1 and 2 sound like you need to load the appropriate devx sfs

3 - I would recommend using Frisbee - just right click on the tray icon and then follow your instincts until you find Frisbee

Cheers
peebee

konaexpress

#167 Post by konaexpress »

Hi,

Guess a little more info for you would have helped ........

I'm using LxPup14.02

As far as BaCon and Python, I will go look for them. Not used to how Puppy handles new apps and there extensions. I'm kinda used to .deb files and apt-get. :oops:

Frizzby? I will go take a look at it. I was using the wizard and started chasing my own tale. :P this button, that button, more buttons.

Thanks for the help!
John

peebee

#168 Post by peebee »

konaexpress wrote:Hi,

Guess a little more info for you would have helped ........

I'm using LxPup14.02

As far as BaCon and Python, I will go look for them. Not used to how Puppy handles new apps and there extensions. I'm kinda used to .deb files and apt-get. :oops:

Frizzby? I will go take a look at it. I was using the wizard and started chasing my own tale. :P this button, that button, more buttons.

Thanks for the help!
John
Hi John

Which 'flavour' of LxPup14.02? There are currently 2*Precise, 1*Raring and 1*Wheezy released - plus there is a pre-release of Slacko.

there are different devx's for each....as each has a different kernel etc. - but once you've loaded them you should have all development tools - no need to get things individually.

Do you have a frugal install?

If so sfs's are easy-peasy to load - just put them into the same folder as Puppy then use sfs-load-on-the-fly from the Setup menu. Depending on 'flavour' there may be a menu option to find and load the devx for you.

Find Frisbee from the Setup - Internet Connection Wizard - Wired or wireless LAN - Frisbee route.

Cheers
peebee

konaexpress

#169 Post by konaexpress »

LOL! This is going to be fun...

I downloaded the one I found on sourceforge, file, precise PAE version. Sorry, I just went for the newest I could find. I didn't look around so I guess I missed the other ones, who knew? Going by the name, it's based on Ubuntu? I'm a Debian fan so this will work for me I think.

Is the file I'm looking for called devx? I will try this as BaCon did not pull up anything.

Thanks for all the help and I mean this. :D

John

peebee

#170 Post by peebee »

konaexpress wrote:LOL! This is going to be fun...

I downloaded the one I found on sourceforge, file, precise PAE version. Sorry, I just went for the newest I could find. I didn't look around so I guess I missed the other ones, who knew? Going by the name, it's based on Ubuntu? I'm a Debian fan so this will work for me I think.

Is the file I'm looking for called devx? I will try this as BaCon did not pull up anything.

Thanks for all the help and I mean this. :D

John
Get the devx for Precise5.7.1 from:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... ise-5.7.1/

but I suggest you copy the link into pwsget from the internet menu rather than use a browser to download....

or if you're prepared to wait from:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/