182MB

All the Best
peebee
Attachments
image-1.png
with optional wbar
(139.02 KiB) Downloaded 1705 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

venomousangell

vlc wont work for me

#107 Post by venomousangell »

hello

ran into a problem I am using LxPup-13.11-s-4g so i can use the compiz fusion option but I cant get gt vlc to install or work for me when i try it reads my files wrong of give me a missing dependance that i cant find and it slightly annoying can anyone help this newbie

peebee

Re: vlc wont work for me

#108 Post by peebee »

venomousangell wrote:hello

ran into a problem I am using LxPup-13.11-s-4g so i can use the compiz fusion option but I cant get gt vlc to install or work for me when i try it reads my files wrong of give me a missing dependance that i cant find and it slightly annoying can anyone help this newbie
Hi

Where did you get vlc from? It does seem to be available via the Puppy Package Manager - but does have dependencies....which dependency are you missing?

It would be best to first check that it works OK on an install of Slacko 5.6 - then on LxPup and only if both those work try it on Compiz.

Haven't tried vlc myself so can't offer much help I'm afraid.

Cheers!
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#109 Post by peebee »

sorry - double post - wish you could delete...

venomousangell

vlc

#110 Post by venomousangell »

Yeah I have tried of the vlc options one for one i.e. clean instal and such but i get this missing library with no clue how to instal because its i couldn't find it anywhere

File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libaccess_avio_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libavformat.so.54 libavcodec.so.54 libavutil.so.51

then if I it it pass the s player opens video audio but i get the message

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "mp4v". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

kind of complex-ING

peebee

Re: vlc

#111 Post by peebee »

venomousangell wrote:Yeah I have tried of the vlc options one for one i.e. clean instal and such but i get this missing library with no clue how to instal because its i couldn't find it anywhere

File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libaccess_avio_plugin.so has these missing library files:
libavformat.so.54 libavcodec.so.54 libavutil.so.51

then if I it it pass the s player opens video audio but i get the message

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "mp4v". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

kind of complex-ING
2 suggestions:
- use pfind to search for the missing libs - Slacko/LxPup has libavformat.so.55 for instance - so try a symlink from libavformat.so.54 to .55 and similarly for the others libavcodec.so.55 & libavutil.so.52
- if that doesn't work post your problem in the Multimedia section of the forum

Sounds like you may be using an old version of vlc....

peebee

LxPup14.01 pre-release

#112 Post by peebee »

Updated 05-jan-14

For testing:

LxPup-14.01-s-4g-050114 md5=b223a51076612d98c7310dd5c0211153

Based on the Slacko-5.7 prerelease - Slacko-5.6.5.2 - nonpae kernel 3.10.21 - built using woof-ce

Includes the new Broadcom WL wifi driver version 6.30.223.141

Includes updates of libfm1.1.4 and pcmanfm1.1.2 and lxsession0.4.9.2 + lxlauncher has been moved to the Options install menu.
Last edited by peebee on Sun 05 Jan 2014, 19:52, edited 4 times in total.

Sage

#113 Post by Sage »

LxPup-14.01-s-4g-281213
Thanks for that, PB.
Had a few issues with fuzzy fonts on my ATI RadeonRV6BE-B3 out of the DVI port, particularly on menus. Also very slow to resolve in main picture. This card normally reliable.
Expected that you'd've pre-loaded the FP v.10, being a Brit. The v.11's tend to be less reliable on Puppies - see other Forum threads.
Gave it 1.5Mb on an AMDXP2400 - should be plenty, but it was often slow and/or stuttery.
Think I prefer the Xfce versions.

peebee

#114 Post by peebee »

Sage wrote:
LxPup-14.01-s-4g-281213
Thanks for that, PB.
Had a few issues with fuzzy fonts on my ATI RadeonRV6BE-B3 out of the DVI port, particularly on menus. Also very slow to resolve in main picture. This card normally reliable.
Expected that you'd've pre-loaded the FP v.10, being a Brit. The v.11's tend to be less reliable on Puppies - see other Forum threads.
Gave it 1.5Mb on an AMDXP2400 - should be plenty, but it was often slow and/or stuttery.
Think I prefer the Xfce versions.
Hi

All those things come from the base Slacko I think - I don't change the underlying Puppy other than to make the LXDE components work.

Not everybody will like LXDE - but that's what Puppy is about - lots of choice.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Billtoo

LxPup13.11 : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

#115 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive of my gateway desktop
pc.
I added a few pets, kdegames and qt from ppm.
It's working great so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(12.22 KiB) Downloaded 1224 times

Marv

Re: LxPup14.01 pre-release

#116 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:For testing:
Manual frugal install to core 2 duo intel 915 video iwlwifi laptop. Both pristine and using savefile from LxPup 13.10c (slacko based). No problems at all with the savefile update install. My lxpanelx settings all ok etc. In the pristine install, I had to move kmod and the depmod symlink from /sbin to /bin (copied actually) to get the iwlwifi card and the sound card drivers to load on boot in my laptop. I haven't gone back and replicated this yet,
all else seems flawless from here.

Ah, one oddity that is exactly as in 13.10c for me. On boot, wallpaper and desktop come up but the panel doesn't appear until a key, any key is pressed. Is it me? Thereafter no problems. Suspends on lid closure and wakes OOTB, Sound and flashplayer fine, Running Opera and Slimboat located on the boot partition. Pretty smooth overall :D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#117 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:In the pristine install, I had to move kmod and the depmod symlink from /sbin to /bin (copied actually) to get the iwlwifi card and the sound card drivers to load on boot in my laptop.

On boot, wallpaper and desktop come up but the panel doesn't appear until a key, any key is pressed. Is it me?
@Marv - thanks - it's not just you - the need for a key click (or a mouse click) seems to be a "feature" which I've learnt to live with - it only happens "on occasion" for me not every time - I guess it's some kind of timing problem and depends on the speed of your cpu - it would be good to track it down but I don't even know where to start!!

Your wifi problem sounds like an underlying slacko problem - is it the same on vanilla slacko? If so perhaps you should report over on the slacko5.7 testing thread?

@Billtoo - many thanks also - looks like from your desktop that you don't have problems with vlc like @venomousangell - maybe you could offer him some advice?

Thanks all for your interest and testing - I intend to follow 01micko's Slacko5.7 test releases as they appear with the woof-ce improvements.

Cheers
peebee

Sage

#118 Post by Sage »

Is it me?
No! just forgot to mention it. Like you, ran well on fast bloatware, but for compact distros, as with BKs present adventures, we need to focus on small .iso running on PIII/XP1800+/D1600 or less. Performance must be acceptable. Don't think memory needs be a factor, though, as there's tons of SDRAM and DDR1 of PC2100 vintage going for a song which is good news for memory resident systems like Puppy.
In this case, LXDE is often touted as 'lightweight'. Sadly those claiming such attributes have often focussed on cpu/mem load under modest, even idle,running conditions rather than actual code line-count, for example. Not very clever! Xfce tends to meet more of the necessary conditions outside of the true lightweights like JWM & co.
Disconcerting to find that the scroll wheel changes window by default - odd, never seen that before, surely scroll means scroll!
Notwithstanding, PB's efforts are well appreciated and provides a welcome plank for comparisons.

Billtoo

#119 Post by Billtoo »

peebee wrote: @Billtoo - many thanks also - looks like from your desktop that you don't have problems with vlc like @venomousangell - maybe you could offer him some advice?
I'm running the windows version of vlc 2.1.2 with wine 1.7.9.

The wine pet that I made is 30mb and the vlc-2.1.2 exe file is 23 mb so not small but works well for playing videos and music from the web.

Marv

#120 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
@Marv - thanks - it's not just you - the need for a key click (or a mouse click) seems to be a "feature" which I've learnt to live with - it only happens "on occasion" for me not every time - I guess it's some kind of timing problem and depends on the speed of your cpu - it would be good to track it down but I don't even know where to start!!

Your wifi problem sounds like an underlying slacko problem - is it the same on vanilla slacko? If so perhaps you should report over on the slacko5.7 testing thread?

Cheers
peebee
I too pretty much have mentally made the keyclick into a 'feature'. The wifi thing if real is almost certainly slacko. It is identical to an issue we've had and surmounted on another unrelated distro. I'll try to replicate it on a laptop or two and if I can pin it down I'll post on the slacko 5.7 testing thread.

Edit: iwlwifi problem is real. Updating savefile from 13.10c it just works, pristine install in spite of all my usual modprobes and loads for iwlwifi, juggling kmod, wlan0 still not created in /var/run/wpa_supplicant. Still thrashing on it but haven't yet downloaded straight slacko 5.7.1. That's next.
Edit#2: Stumped for now on the iwlwifi. Checked md5sums, downloaded slacko 5.7.1 and it connected perfectly. Rechecked a fresh pristine install of 14.01 with the exact same failure, dmesg snippet below. Modprobed iwldvm, mac80211, reloaded iwlwifi and no change. Scrutinized firmware, modules, kmod, depmod, wpa_supplicant and tmp permissions and what all I can think of and slacko 5.71 and the pristine 14.01 seem identical. Posting from 14.01 over wireless with the updated13.10c savefile here :?

Code: Select all

[   22.845594] Copyright(c) 2003-2013 Intel Corporation
[   22.846053] iwlwifi 0000:18:00.0: irq 46 for MSI/MSI-X
[   22.894464] iwlwifi 0000:18:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode' failed.
[   22.925036] iwlwifi 0000:18:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-5000-4.ucode' failed.
[   22.951695] iwlwifi 0000:18:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-5000-3.ucode' failed.
[   22.963114] iwlwifi 0000:18:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode' failed.
[   22.998413] iwlwifi 0000:18:00.0: request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode' failed.
[   22.998418] iwlwifi 0000:18:00.0: no suitable firmware found!
Edit#3: Comfirmed above behavior with pristine install of 14.01 to ipw2200 wireless laptop. Dmesg error code there was for 'firmware directory or file not found'. Somehow (udev?) the firmware in /lib/modules/all-firmware isn't being found in LxPup 14.01 but is in vanilla slacko 5.7.1. :?: The reason the LxPup with my savefile worked was the iwlwifi firmware had already been 'expanded' to /lib/firmware there where it is found and loaded. That's the what, don't know the why yet. Posting from pristine 14.01 with the iwlwifi files copied into /lib/firmware and no other changes at all.
Edit#4: after looking at /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe :roll: I just put my intel firmware, both iwlwifi and ipw2200, in a directory named intel in /lib/firmware and done with it. Can some wise one enlighten me on why some firmware is firmware and some firmware is all-firmware? Same storage space, seems a bit arbitrary to this blind man.

Thanks for 14.01, nice to have the newer non-PAE kernel.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

#121 Post by peebee »

@Marv - thanks - sorry I've only just seen your edits - there have been changes to .xinitrc which I haven't tracked...doh! Attached there is a replacement .xinitrc with dummy .gz rename to .xinitrc before copying into /root - I have reuploaded the 14.01 pre-release with this change. Please report if it solves your problem.

A further prerelease version has been uploaded:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... reRelease/

see: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 759#746759 for changed areas
Attachments
xinitrc.gz
rename to .xinitrc and copy into /root
(6.69 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

Marv

#122 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:@Marv - thanks - sorry I've only just seen your edits - there have been changes to .xinitrc which I haven't tracked...doh! Attached there is a replacement .xinitrc with dummy .gz rename to .xinitrc before copying into /root - I have reuploaded the 14.01 pre-release with this change. Please report if it solves your problem.
Thanks, I have the download. At first blush, it doesn't seem to fix. Stripped my intel directory out of /lib/firmware, substituted the new .xinitrc, reboot and get the same dmesg re not finding firmware. Pretty rushed this AM, will take a better look at it this afternoon.

peebee

#123 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:
peebee wrote:@Marv - thanks - sorry I've only just seen your edits - there have been changes to .xinitrc which I haven't tracked...doh! Attached there is a replacement .xinitrc with dummy .gz rename to .xinitrc before copying into /root - I have reuploaded the 14.01 pre-release with this change. Please report if it solves your problem.
Thanks, I have the download. At first blush, it doesn't seem to fix. Stripped my intel directory out of /lib/firmware, substituted the new .xinitrc, reboot and get the same dmesg re not finding firmware. Pretty rushed this AM, will take a better look at it this afternoon.
Hi Marv

I did some tests with my b43 wifi - had to first blacklist the wl driver which is chosen first for my b43 variant but once I'd done that and rebooted the firmware mechanism had worked correctly and the firmware was copied to /lib/firmware/b43 and the b43 driver was working correctly.

The only difference I note between b43 and iwlwifi is the presence of /etc/modprobe.d/b43.conf in /lib/modules/all-firmware/b43 which has a delay in it (part of managing the wl/b43 race to claim the chip).

So I think the basic firmware mechanism is working correctly but there may be some timing differences between basic Slacko and LxPup on your processor with your wifi chip which are stopping it working? If it persists we may need to seek assistance from an expert like Rerwin or Technosaurus to suggest a solution....

or you can do a manual copy of the firmware from /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware to /lib/firmware/iwlwifi

Cheers
PeeBee

Marv

#124 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
So I think the basic firmware mechanism is working correctly but there may be some timing differences between basic Slacko and LxPup on your processor with your wifi chip which are stopping it working? If it persists we may need to seek assistance from an expert like Rerwin or Technosaurus to suggest a solution....

or you can do a manual copy of the firmware from /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware to /lib/firmware/iwlwifi

Cheers
PeeBee
Thanks, the manual copy scheme has been working for me. All the intel firmware in a directory named intel in /lib/firmware. I'll continue to nibble on this bit as I have time. Everything else in 14.01 is working fine for me at this point.

Edit: SOLVED :D I looked in dmesg for wl and saw an error message for it 'tainting the kernel'. NOTHING broadcom on this box. Blacklisted wl and the correct iwlwifi firmware is found and loaded from all-firmware and wireless is fine. I'll check the ip2200 laptop next but so far so good.

Marv

wl and intel wireless

#125 Post by Marv »

Confirmed. Exact same behavior on intel ipw2200 wireless. Blacklist wl, reboot, ipw2200 wireless active, networks seen and connection (using frisbee) without a hitch. Let me know exactly what you would like in terms of diagnostics and I can run them on either machine.