Using New HPLIP Drivers in Puppy 4.3.x

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
jakfish

#31 Post by jakfish »

Almost there. The script worked once, then not again upon a reboot.

Running each command in console, all work except this:

rm -rf /var/spool/cups

which produces error:

rm: cannot remove /var/spool/cups: input/output error

Jake

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

That error suggests some kind of corruption. You may need to reformat the drive and start again.

Are you running off the hard drive or an SD card?

If you check in the file /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE, what is the value of PUPMODE?

jakfish

#33 Post by jakfish »

With Puppeee, I went back to previous save file (it's a frugal install on a sd card, but for speed, pupsave and sfs's are on the ssd drive), and I no longer got that error.

In the cups-fix script (which appeared to cause the
rm: cannot remove /var/spool/cups: input/output error), I put in some "sleep 2" commands and that fixed things.

So drumroll for rcrsn51...with his new HPLIP process for 4.31:

1) ttuuxx's 4.32 v3 will wirelessly print directly to a HP Deskjet 3520 [tested on a Sony Vaio Picturebook PGC-C1VN]

2) jemimah's Puppeee 1.0 (Celeron; couldn't test Atom) will wirelessly print directly to a HP Deskjet 3520 [tested on a eee 900]

This is amazing news. Especially that a 1998 116mb RAM netbook, built long before any wireless printer, can wirelessly use a current printer without even Samba as a go-between.

Many, many thanks, rcrsn51. Another of your tours de force.

Jake

jakfish

#34 Post by jakfish »

One small detail: I don't get a 3520 listing for printing either in Sylpheed/Geany. There are only:

Print to File
Print to LPR

However, clicking on Print to LPR will send email or text file to the 3520

If TextMaker is used, then "Default Printer Queue [System]" will send doc to printer. In the print menu, TextMaker says the command is "lpr -r %" which does seem connected to similar commands in Sylpheed/Geany.

Jake

rcrsn51

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

jakfish wrote:One small detail: I don't get a 3520 listing for printing either in Sylpheed/Geany. There are only:
Print to File
Print to LPR
Yes. This is the other downside to upgrading CUPS. It breaks the connection with some GTK apps.

That's why I had you install the setdefprn applet. It lets you print to the default printer through LPR.

jakfish

#36 Post by jakfish »

That makes sense. TextMaker has never played well with Puppy printing and I remember having to jiggle the handle in its print menu since the chosen printer wouldn't show up.

The setdefprn would've helped then, too, I bet.