Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 22:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
FatdogArm Alpha3 - 2 October 2013 [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Topic_locked View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 08:07    Post_subject:  FatdogArm Alpha3 - 2 October 2013 [CLOSED]
Sub_title: Port of Fatdog64 to ARM platform

Release notes here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/arm-alpha3.html

Images here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/arm/images/

EDIT: FatdogArm for OLPC XO-4 is here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=728487#728487

Discussions on previous alpha2 is here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88719.

Alpha3 is superseded by alpha4 release: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=734069#734069.

Edited_times_total
linux28

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 11:40    Post_subject:  

What are the hardware can be used? All ARM can use it?
tuna1

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 21:06    Post_subject:  

Hi

Fatdog is very nice, nice work, i just want to report two things but i don't really know if they are fatdog related problems or not

I have a mk802 with 1g ram, it's booting fine but htop says only 490mb as avaiable memory, is this expected?

I have 2 tvs, when i plug the stick on the first one fatdog boots straight to x right away without any problem, but on the other tv it takes a lot of time, it seems like xorg is probing many different resolutions without sucess, sometines i see for a few seconds distorted images. But after a long very long wayting i finally get X to work and the tv reports the image as 1280x720p. 720p is the same resolution my first tv reports so what may be the problem with my other tv?

Thanks
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 23:39    Post_subject:  

linux28 wrote:

That will never happen due to fragmentation of the ARM platform.

FatdogArm meta-distribution can be used for any ARM platform/device capable of ARMv7-A, VFPv3-d32 and NEON. There are images available for Mele A1000 and OLPC XO-4 (XO-4 image is still on the way); and in the future there may be images for Cubieboard2 too.

Please check the release notes for more details.

tuna1 wrote:
Hi

Fatdog is very nice, nice work,
Thanks.

Quote:

i just want to report two things but i don't really know if they are fatdog related problems or not

I have a mk802 with 1g ram, it's booting fine but htop says only 490mb as avaiable memory, is this expected?
You will need to find a script.bin for your 1G mk802; otherwise only 512MB is recognised (and a few megs are taken for video buffer etc). Please try the attached script.bin and tell me whether it works - otherwise, please see the release notes for details.

Quote:
I have 2 tvs, when i plug the stick on the first one fatdog boots straight to x right away without any problem, but on the other tv it takes a lot of time, it seems like xorg is probing many different resolutions without sucess, sometines i see for a few seconds distorted images. But after a long very long wayting i finally get X to work and the tv reports the image as 1280x720p. 720p is the same resolution my first tv reports so what may be the problem with my other tv?

The Mele image is configured to do EDID readout before setting the resolution; if you TV doesn't support EDID, it may end up taking quite a while for the operation to time-out. If you know what resolution to set, look at the "video" line in uEnv.txt and remove the EDID word, ie change from:

Code:

video=disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p60

to
Code:

video=disp.screen0_output_mode=1280x720p60

For more details please check http://linux-sunxi.org/Display.

cheers!
mk802-1gb.tar.gz
Description  script.bin for mk802-1GB; extract and the copy the file to your SD Card.
gz

Download 
Filename  mk802-1gb.tar.gz 
Filesize  7.09 KB 
Downloaded  328 Time(s) 

tuna1

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:07    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
linux28 wrote:

That will never happen due to fragmentation of the ARM platform.

FatdogArm meta-distribution can be used for any ARM platform/device capable of ARMv7-A, VFPv3-d32 and NEON. There are images available for Mele A1000 and OLPC XO-4 (XO-4 image is still on the way); and in the future there may be images for Cubieboard2 too.

Please check the release notes for more details.

tuna1 wrote:
Hi

Fatdog is very nice, nice work,
Thanks.

Quote:

i just want to report two things but i don't really know if they are fatdog related problems or not

You will need to find a script.bin for your 1G mk802; otherwise only 512MB is recognised (and a few megs are taken for video buffer etc). Please try the attached script.bin and tell me whether it works - otherwise, please see the release notes for details.

Quote:

The Mele image is configured to do EDID readout before setting the resolution; if you TV doesn't support EDID, it may end up taking quite a while for the operation to time-out. If you know what resolution to set, look at the "video" line in uEnv.txt and remove the EDID word, ie change from:

Code:

video=disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p60

to
Code:

For more details please check http://linux-sunxi.org/Display.

cheers!

Removing eid worked. Thank you!
I tryed your script.bin but no sucess, the avaiable memory is the same and worst, cpu use is always at 20%, with your original script.bin cpu use is very low.I will read your release notes but i'm not very skilled...
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:56    Post_subject:  

tuna1 wrote:

Yay!

Quote:
I tryed your script.bin but no sucess, the avaiable memory is the same and worst, cpu use is always at 20%, with your original script.bin cpu use is very low.I will read your release notes but i'm not very skilled...

Try adding "mem=1024" to the extras line in uEnv.txt (with the new script.bin). I can't tell why the new script.bin eat 20% of your CPU, I suggest you try other FEX files available here too: https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-boards/tree/master/sys_config/a10 - there are a few files for mk802. The new script.bin I gave you is also from there.

cheers!

tuna1

PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct 2013, 21:02    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
tuna1 wrote:

Yay!

Quote:

Try adding "mem=1024" to the extras line in uEnv.txt (with the new script.bin). I can't tell why the new script.bin eat 20% of your CPU, I suggest you try other FEX files available here too: https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-boards/tree/master/sys_config/a10 - there are a few files for mk802. The new script.bin I gave you is also from there.

cheers!

Sorry, I made you belive i had a mk802 1gb but what i have is a mk802ii, you tryed to help me but that was not possible with my mistake. but there is one good thing with this, i started reading about this and after some time i was able to build my mk802ii script.bin from the link you gave me. The cpu load is now working just fine but still no acess to the full memory. I tryed adding mem=1024 but when i do that it won't boot
Sorry again and thank you, today you helped me learn a few things
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 07 Oct 2013, 10:05    Post_subject:  

tuna1 wrote:
Sorry, I made you belive i had a mk802 1gb but what i have is a mk802ii, you tryed to help me but that was not possible with my mistake. but there is one good thing with this, i started reading about this and after some time i was able to build my mk802ii script.bin from the link you gave me. The cpu load is now working just fine but still no acess to the full memory. I tryed adding mem=1024 but when i do that it won't boot

I think I may have to build a custom version of u-boot for you. This is the general problem with ARM platforms - the crucial part (bootloader, kernel) can seldom be shared Sad

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 08 Oct 2013, 18:06    Post_subject: Running FDAA3 from Mele with hardrive  

Here is my method to run both sfs file and savefile from a mele with a harddrive.

copy fs-arm.sfs as fda-arm.sfs to hard drive partition, and use this uEnv.txt

Code:
console=tty0
kernel=uImage-a10
initrd=uInitrd-a10
loglevel=3
audio=hdmi.audio=EDID:0
root=/dev/sda6
rootwait=rootwait
rootwait=waitdev=3
panicargs=panic=10
#coldplug=
basesfs=basesfs=local:fda-arm.sfs
#savefile=savefile=direct:device:mmcblk0p2
extras=sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_no_mali_mem_reserve sunxi_fb_mem_reserve=8 loadmodules=sw_ahci_platform

loadmodules=sw_ahci_platform causes the sata hard drive to be found
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2013, 01:44    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
tuna1 wrote:

I think I may have to build a custom version of u-boot for you. This is the general problem with ARM platforms - the crucial part (bootloader, kernel) can seldom be shared Sad

Okay, this is a version of uboot for mk802ii. Install it by doing
Code:
dd if=uboot-mk802ii.bin of=/dev/XXX bs=1024 seek=8

where /dev/XXX is your SD Card device (make sure you don't point to your harddisk or your harddisk data will be destroyed beyond repair - since you have already dd-ed the image I suppose you already know about this).
uboot-mk802ii.bin.gz
Description  Please gunzip first. Only for mk802ii and NOT FOR ANY OTHER PLATFORM.
gz

Download 
Filename  uboot-mk802ii.bin.gz 
Filesize  104.16 KB 
Downloaded  285 Time(s) 

jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2013, 02:35    Post_subject: FatdogArm on Cubieboard2  

I have received a Cubieboard2 from someone who shall remain anonymous (thank you!).
The board arrived yesterday, and I've got FatdogArm running on it today; here is the mugshot.
It still require a few tweaks, but in general it's running great.
s.png
 Description   FatdogArm on Cubieboard2
 Filesize   71.47 KB
 Viewed   1153 Time(s)

s.png

tuna1

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 21:01    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
jamesbond wrote:
tuna1 wrote:

Okay, this is a version of uboot for mk802ii. Install it by doing
Code:
dd if=uboot-mk802ii.bin of=/dev/XXX bs=1024 seek=8

where /dev/XXX is your SD Card device (make sure you don't point to your harddisk or your harddisk data will be destroyed beyond repair - since you have already dd-ed the image I suppose you already know about this).

It works, full memory being used now, thanks for your help Very Happy
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sat 12 Oct 2013, 13:38    Post_subject:  

tuna1 wrote:
It works, full memory being used now, thanks for your help Very Happy

No worries, glad that it finally works.

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sun 13 Oct 2013, 23:21    Post_subject:  

Request for compile for ARM pov-ray 3.6, or 3.7 (harder to compile 4 ARM)

This is a mid to large sized project 4+ hours for/on RasPI without your dccs.

One of the few clean, large, cross platform projects,
I use it a lot for complex math rendering and engineering work (weird hobby, most likely the only NON Phd playing in this field, so shhhh I'm like Howard from the Big Bang Theory )
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct 2013, 04:01    Post_subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
Request for compile for ARM pov-ray 3.6, or 3.7 (harder to compile 4 ARM)

I'll look into this.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Topic_locked View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum