Android-x86 developments and issues

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gcmartin

#121 Post by gcmartin »

The March 1st announcement can be found here. Notice the main page has changed.

The torrents run fast and are smooth for downloading.

Assuming you have/use a smartPhone/smartTablet, and if you have a touch PC, you will find little difference in operations.

This is merely an OS, like any other, but its internal design is what sets it apart from other OSes (every OS is distinctly different in operation). That design allows anyone to enhance its standard subsystems with apps from the PlayStore or over the web which are compatible with this Android.

On my HP touch laptop, its smooth and fast ... typical for Androids. No issues as yet.

I would encourage anyone who tests/uses this on your PC, that you join their forum community (use your Google ID if you have one). Much is shared and much is learned. Its helpful. If you do not want to join, you can peruse their forum via this link.

Hope this post is helpful

nubc

#122 Post by nubc »

Android-x86-4.4-r5 did not boot on this Dell Precision 390, Core2, 4 GB ram, 2x2T hdd (not RAID). Android-x86 has not booted on my computers since version 4.0. Looks like RemixOS is a preferable adaptation of the project. RemixOS for PC Beta, based on Android-x86-5.1-rc1, booted up fine, with auto-magic hardwire ethernet connectivity!

d4p

#123 Post by d4p »

Just released:

Remix OS v 2.0.102 Beta 64bit and 32bit
- Remix alpha version works fine on my laptop, Beta not working

Phoenix OS v 1.0.4 Beta
- Wifi works fine with this version

Multiboot remix/phoenix/androidx86
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR2MByTvJn8

nubc

#124 Post by nubc »

I booted up Android-x86-5.1-r1 and was prompted to connect to WiFi, otherwise I wouldn't be able to make use of Play Store, and so on. So I was about to complain about the latest Android-86 not supporting hardwire ethernet connectivity and how can a project claim to implement Android-x86 for PC without hardwire ethernet support, when I noticed that I arrived here at Puppy Forum with no wireless connection. So, uh, I guess I am connected by hardwire ethernet, although there is no heading in Settings for Ethernet, just WiFi. It's about time. Consider that I had to sit out Android-x86 from versions 4.1 to 4.4 (KitKat) because it wouldn't boot on a standard Dell desktop, but, finally, version 5.1 is bootable and, as a big bonus, connects by wired ethernet.

nubc

#125 Post by nubc »

Install Google Play services on Remix OS 2.0 Alpha (xda-developers)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/remix/r ... x-t3292087

recobayu

#126 Post by recobayu »

Thank you nubc, now I can download any apps here. :D

nubc

#127 Post by nubc »

How to download and install Google Play Store on Remix OS for PC (Remix OS forum @ Google Groups)
http://tinyurl.com/z346n5z

quirkian2new

android_pup

#128 Post by quirkian2new »

I just wonder:

Is there any version of puppy linux derivative based on "android x86" or "android x86 64bit" or "remix os" ? Has anyone make such a "android_pup" derivative for the PuppyLand ?

starhawk

#129 Post by starhawk »

No no and no, in that order.

Android is 98+ % incompatible with real Linux.

Azami Chrome Light Pup is as close as it gets... close, but no APKs...

gcmartin

#130 Post by gcmartin »

I agree with @StarHawks "No"s. IMHO, he is explaining that Android's orientation is different from the 1990s orientation of all-point-addressible screen use versus Android's approach.

But on this quote, I am not in agreement. Actually on a rooted device there is abilities.
Android is 98+ % incompatible with real Linux.
I would not expect to see an Android coming out of Puppyland unless one of the mainline distros, namely debian/Redhat/Suse/Slackware/Arch, create a pseudo version that Puppy can fall into.

There is a very nice PUP that is oriented toward Google's Chrome OS. That one is @ETP's ChromePUP found on the Puppy Forum. But that discussion is outside of this thread's mission.

Hope this helps

nubc

#131 Post by nubc »

Apple iOS is losing market share to Android (as of Feb 2016)
http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/04 ... uence.html
The data gathered by Kantar reflects the changes in market share for iOS, Android, and Windows OS over a period of three months ending February 2016. The data has been compared to the market share held by the three platforms in the same three-month period ending February 2015, showing that Apple has been losing influence year-on-year in China, the US, as well as EU5 (Great Britain, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain). According to Kantar, this is the first time since August 2014 when Apple’s share in China didn’t grow over the aforementioned three-month period. On the contrary, Kantar reports that Apple’s share declined 3.2% to 22.2%, down from 25.4% market share recorded at the end of February 2015. In contrast, the market share for Android in China increased by 3.4% over the same period of time, whereas the Windows platform maintains its 0.9% share. In the U.S., Apple lost 0.5% market share, while the Android platform grew by 3.3% to a total market share of 58.9% at the end of February 2016. Apple seems to have lost some influence in EU5 too, where iOS is down 1.8%. Windows also lost 4.2% market share in the same region, whereas Android OS enjoys an increase of 6.7%, up to a total of 74.3% market share.
two words: price point

James C

#132 Post by James C »

There's been a new release of Remix os for pc.

http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc
Remix OS for PC Beta Version

Apr 12th 2016

Just some quick testing so far but it seems much more polished than the previous version.

James C

#133 Post by James C »

Needed to find a good photo editor for Android, no Mtpaint...... :o
Attachments
image-2016-04-16.jpg
(56.36 KiB) Downloaded 462 times

gcmartin

#134 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @James C
I wonder if something in the Play-store would match the need?

If so, the app(s) which one runs on their Android smartPhone/smartTablet would match, clearly, with the same app running on ReMix. Something like ES.

The ReMix device sent me is very troublesome and is in severe need of an update. Hope one arrives and hope it works OTA. The original OTA update took over 24hours.

Maybe they will consider some sort of an ISO approach while they sort out their OTA issues.

Quite unimpressed, thus far. SmartDevices (manufacturers) are infinitely ahead of ReMix's current position in user support, IMHO.

Further, for a purchased device and no customer service where you can call someone is a little "off" to me.

nubc

#135 Post by nubc »

(6-08-2016) Android-x86 6.0-rc1 is now available for download
http://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-6-0-rc1
The Android-x86 project is glad to announce 6.0-rc1 release to public. This is the first release candidate for Android-x86 6.0 (marshmallow-x86) stable release.
The 6.0-rc1 release is based on the latest Android Marshmallow-MR2 release (6.0.1_r46). The key features include:
Supports both 32-bit and 64-bit kernel and userspace.
Update kernel to 4.4.12.
Support OpenGL ES 3.x hardware acceleration for Intel/AMD(radeon/radeonsi)/Nvidia(nouveau) chipsets, as well as VMware and QEMU(virgl).
Support OpenGL ES 3.0 via software rendering for other GPUs or no GPU devices.
Support secure booting from UEFI and installing to UEFI disk.
Be able to install to ext4/ntfs/fat32 filesystems via a text based GUI installer.
Upgrading from older android-x86 release is improved. Older release using ext2/ext3 filesystem will be converted to ext4 for better reliability.
Support Multi-touch, Audio, Wifi, Bluetooth, Sensors, Camera and Ethernet (DHCP only).
Auto-mount external usb drive and sdcard.
Support foreign archs (arm / arm64) via the native bridge mechanism. (Settings -> Apps Compatibility)

nubc

#136 Post by nubc »

I had no luck booting marshmallow 6.0-rc1 on a uniprocessor system, I made it to Desktop on a more recent Core2 system, but this was accomplished by skipping every step of setup in order to get there. The mouse kept freezing when I tried to sign in to my Google account. When I got to Desktop I opened the native Browser and logged on to Puppy Discussion Forum, but before I could type the first word, Android said the Browser has stopped, and then the whole Desktop became grayed out and inoperable. I haven't gotten that far again, probably because Google is keeping track of the progress of registering this device (a Dell Precision desktop) and, upon next attempt, wants to advance to the point where things froze and failed. I did find that ethernet was automatically set up, and the connection speed was fast. This is a little unfortunate because I don't own a recent computer that will run the Linux kernel of this version, and I can't imagine a recent desktop really needing ethernet. The Android-x86 teams needs to backport ethernet support to older x86 versions such as that based on KitKat, which is probably unlikely to happen. Noticed: running the liveCD set my system clock ahead by 2 hours. Grrr
Last edited by nubc on Fri 08 Jul 2016, 11:14, edited 4 times in total.

gcmartin

#137 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Nubc. As you are aware, I follow this thread.

I became aware at a seminar last month of the movement in the OSes to include Android apps. Its happening in Microsoft and Apple, although not announced. Many are already aware of the ChromeOS tests that are already occurring where Android apps can run as apps on current specific targeted devices until full roll-out. We've already seen others such as Remix, etc that have provided Android solutions to the public. I happen to have a Remix.

I would like to take a moment to encourage anyone who ventures into Android land, whether as a standalone distro on a PC or via one of the above OSes that intend to support Android to NOT OVERLOOK the need for a touch system. Those apps, all Android apps are inherently designed for touch screen devices. MS's Surface and Apple's devices are built with what is needed as well as smartTablets and smartPhones; namely "touch" ability, as such there are no issues. But moving into the future, should one consider serious use, you may want to take note. This includes devices like Chromebox/Chromebook/Chromebase and any other Chrome devices should be looking at them for their inexpensive costs.

Its not an absolute requirement, but, a little understanding might be helpful should you want the best experience the apps are designed for. They are designed around developers expected user experience of touch/gesture/voice.

Just a note, FYI

Pete

#138 Post by Pete »

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would anyone want to run an OS that is far inferior to Linux on a PC?

There are some very clever people working on this and dedicating loads of time, but why would anyone want to run an Android app on a PC when 99.999% of the time there is a better equivalent readily available especially for a PC?

It's bad enough being stuck with Android on a mobile device, why bring it to the desktop as well?

Is all this just for the technical challenge or are there advantages to being able to run Android on a PC?

bark_bark_bark

#139 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Pete wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would anyone want to run an OS that is far inferior to Linux on a PC?

There are some very clever people working on this and dedicating loads of time, but why would anyone want to run an Android app on a PC when 99.999% of the time there is a better equivalent readily available especially for a PC?

It's bad enough being stuck with Android on a mobile device, why bring it to the desktop as well?

Is all this just for the technical challenge or are there advantages to being able to run Android on a PC?
The industry doesn't want you to ask questions, they just want you to obey and buy their new products.

learnhow2code

#140 Post by learnhow2code »

Pete wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would anyone want to run an OS that is far inferior to Linux on a PC?
*shrug* some people like to be tied up and spanked. takes all sorts-- and this is kind of like doing that to your pc.