Android-x86 developments and issues

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nubc

#1 Post by nubc »

There is a project to port Android to other hardware platforms. Android-x86 is an open source project to provide Android support on x86 platforms, particularly the EeePC netbook. At present, the project is associated with Google code. Thanks to L18L for the heads up.

Project Goal: To provide complete solution for Android on Eee PC platforms first and then to provide solutions for common x86 platforms as well.

project site: Android-x86 Project
http://www.android-x86.org/

Google code's Android-x86 site:
http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD sites:

Android-x86.org:
http://www.android-x86.org/download

Google code:
http://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list
Note: To access some versions, you may need to select "Deprecated downloads" from the Search drop-down menu.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invite your experiences, insights, issues, bugs, news and views.
Last edited by nubc on Sun 29 Sep 2013, 09:44, edited 7 times in total.

nubc

#2 Post by nubc »

1. Android-x86 4.2 crashed with Xorg, had to use VESA.. Is this the Intel 915 chipset bug?

2. Using Terminal (emulation) caused a fatal crash in 4.2. Mouse froze, keyboard unresponsive.

3. Xorg video worked in 4.3

4. How do you shut down the computer in Android-x86?

Equipment: Dell Dimension 3100 (desktop) 2.8 GHz P4 w/ HT, 2 GB DDR2 ram, 1.0 TB hdd
Last edited by nubc on Sun 29 Sep 2013, 09:42, edited 2 times in total.

rjbrewer

#3 Post by rjbrewer »

nubc wrote:1. Android-x86 4.2 crashed with Xorg, had to use VESA.. Is this the Intel 915 chipset bug?

2. Using Terminal (emulation) caused a fatal crash in 4.2. Mouse froze, keyboard unresponsive.

3. Xorg video worked in 4.3

4. How do you shut down the computer in Android-x86?
Double push the power button and drag the circle to the right
to shut down.

The Android I was trying was:

androidx86-4.0-RC2-eeepc.iso

I didn't need vesa.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Billtoo

#4 Post by Billtoo »

I downloaded and burned android-x86-4.3-20130725.iso to a dvd and then
booted the dvd up on my Acer laptop, ran the install option and
installed to an 8gb SDHC card.
Removed the dvd and booted up on the SDHC card, setup the wireless and
logged into my google account.
When I shut down it created a storage file approx 2 gb in size.
On rebooting it went to the opening screen but the mouse wasn't
working or the keyboard so no way to start the os, I tried a couple of
other computers and I found wireless would sometimes drop on one
computer so the browser would crash.
I found that booting from the SDHC card on an Acer desktop which has a
linksys usb wireless adapter [rt73] + a ps2 keyboard + a wireless
mouse is working best, the browser and youtube work great, no problems
with losing the internet connection.
Still playing around with it :)

L18L

android-x86

#5 Post by L18L »

In 4.2 I could use console

Code: Select all

su
reboot
In 4.3 su is not allowed.
The only way I found was good old CTRL-ALT-DELETE

(no double push on power because no eeepc, just an ordinary AD2550-ITX)

L18L

Android-x86

#6 Post by L18L »

menu.lst:

default=0
timeout=16
splashimage=/grub/android-x86.xpm.gz
root (hd0,1)

title Android-x86 4.3-test
	kernel /android-4.3-test/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 video=-16 nomodeset SRC=/android-4.3-test
	initrd /android-4.3-test/initrd.img

title Android-x86 4.3-test (Debug mode)
	kernel /android-4.3-test/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 video=-16 DEBUG=2 SRC=/android-4.3-test

title Android-x86 4.3-test (Debug nomodeset)
	kernel /android-4.3-test/kernel nomodeset root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 video=-16 DEBUG=2 SRC=/android-4.3-test

title Android-x86 4.3-test (Debug video=LVDS-1:d)
	kernel /android-4.3-test/kernel video=LVDS-1:d root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 video=-16 DEBUG=2 SRC=/android-4.3-test
Attachments
my_android-x86_install.png
(10.4 KiB) Downloaded 4546 times

jpeps

#7 Post by jpeps »

Interesting project, although your linux OS might be your last bastion of security. There are plenty of ways to share your android data (cloud, etc.) Android also rely on features like automatic updates, both coming from the app and the OS. They also are specifically written for device hardware. Many android apps have equivalents written for other platforms.
Last edited by jpeps on Sat 28 Sep 2013, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#8 Post by don570 »

I was able to get more apps to work in an older 4.1 version that
was available. For instance the terminal.

nubc

#9 Post by nubc »

@ don570
Where do you find version 4.1 ?

L18L

Re: android-x86

#10 Post by L18L »

L18L wrote:In 4.2 I could use console

su
reboot
In 4.3 su is not allowed.
The only way I found was good old CTRL-ALT-DELETE...
Shutdown is last row in preferences :oops:

keybord layout is in preferences (working well for german keyboard)

nubc

#11 Post by nubc »

The most interesting potential of this project is the opportunity to displace Windows when XP reaches its EOL this coming April 8, 2014. The system requirements for Windows 7 and 8 mean that an entire generation of older hardware will be rendered obsolete. When Windows XP is no longer supported, could Android-x86 be an alternative OS that people (customers) would accept for their old computers? If people did accept Android-x86, this could be a gateway for wider Linux usage, as people inevitably find that Android is limiting. I don't think widespread acceptance of Android-x86 on older computers is too far-fetched when you consider market penetration of smart phones and tablets. I wonder if Google clowns have a clue about the potential of this "window" of opportunity, that is, replacing Windows XP with Android on older computers. What will happen to older computers when XP reaches EOL? Obviously, Microsoft will have to grant an extension of support for a year or two. An unsupported Windows XP would still do many tasks that Android could never do unless its capabilities were greatly expanded. Any Android replacement would have to pick up some of the slack. On the other hand, most computer users don't perform complicated tasks, but rather just use the computer to surf and communicate, tasks for which Android is designed.

EDIT: Neglected to mention that Windows 8 Metro mode looks like Android.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 30 Sep 2013, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#12 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote: I wonder if Google clowns have a clue about the potential of this "window" of opportunity, that is, replacing Windows XP with Android on older computers.
uhh...no, I guess they haven't
nubc wrote: On the other hand, most computer users don't perform complicated tasks, but rather just use the computer to surf and communicate, tasks for which Android is designed.
uhh..ever used an Android device??

L18L

#13 Post by L18L »

jpeps wrote:...ever used an Android device??
Me? No!
That's why I find it so amazing to have a zero $ emulation of android.
Just to be better prepared if I should ever use a real tablet. 8)

rjbrewer

#14 Post by rjbrewer »

Something to think about.

Cost of eeepc 7 inch when new: about 500 dollars.
Cost of new 7 inch tablet with Android: 50+ dollars.

Processor in that eeepc: 900Mhz running at 630Mhz.
Processor in tablet with Android: 1.5Ghz dual core.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

jpeps

#15 Post by jpeps »

rjbrewer wrote:Something to think about.

Also, comes with about a million apps, most of which are free. They include fairly sophisticated office suites, ftp client and server, encryption tools (one click..both files and directories), organizers (synced with cloud servers) including calendars, task managers, calculators, etc.., backup software (synced with cloud servers), music software...keyboards with sound modules, drum pads, etc, music notation software (some excellent free apps--multiple stanzas, mordants, triplets, etc...), art and drawing apps, camera apps and related software, image galleries, navigation apps, bar scanners, graphic editors, financial software, digital radio apps, ebook readers, numerous file managers that organize your content into types (documents, pictures, apps, etc), a zillion news feed apps, everything imaginable in texting, call blocking, etc., flashlights, weather apps and maps, voice to text, text to voice, voice commands, gmail, video conferencing, social networking, gaming, sophisticated language translators (realtime..voice in/voice out), educational software (you name it), bluetooth connectivity, etc, etc, etc. Devices are automatically synched with your PC and each other.

jpeps

#16 Post by jpeps »

jpeps wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:Something to think about.

Also, comes with about a million apps, most of which are free. They include fairly sophisticated office suites, ftp client and server, encryption tools (one click..both files and directories), organizers (synced with cloud servers) including calendars, task managers, calculators, alarm clocks, timers, etc.., backup software (synced with cloud servers), music software...keyboards with sound modules, drum pads, etc, music notation software (some excellent free apps--multiple stanzas, mordants, triplets, etc...), art and drawing apps, camera apps and related software, image galleries, navigation apps, bar scanners, graphic editors, financial software, digital radio apps, ebook readers, numerous file managers that organize your content into types (documents, pictures, apps, etc), a zillion news feed apps, everything imaginable in texting, call blocking, etc., flashlights, weather apps and maps, voice to text, text to voice, voice commands, gmail, video conferencing, social networking, gaming, sophisticated language translators (realtime..voice in/voice out), educational software (you name it), specialty software (piano tuners, engineering tools, etc), bluetooth connectivity, etc, etc, etc. Devices are automatically synched with your PC and each other, automatic updates.

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

I've used Android x86, and it has some interface hurdles that will be hard for people -- like how when you right-click you go back a screen even tho what you wanted was to pull up a context menu like in Windblows or Puppy.

Not to mention that there aren't many laptops or netbooks with accelerometers, so if you want to play a game that requires such things you're out of luck unless you can get a USB model... meaning you're out of luck -- a quick search on eBay for "usb accelerometer android" pulled up all of zero results.

jpeps

#18 Post by jpeps »

starhawk wrote:
Not to mention that there aren't many laptops or netbooks with accelerometers, so if you want to play a game that requires such things you're out of luck unless you can get a USB model.
There are a series of utube videos of presentations by Steve Jobs from 2008-2010 demoing graphic developments in the iphone; quite impressive and taken for granted by the user.

nubc

#19 Post by nubc »

Just like Linux Mint, every time I use Android-x86, my computer's clock is set ahead by 5 hours. I thought this happened because Mint is based in Europe, but I dunno. Nope, never had a smartphone, and feeling puny for the lack. On the other hand, Richard Stallman doesn't use a smartphone either, and I can understand his reason why. Someone told me today that very recently a Firefox Browser app was introduced to the Android arsenal.
Firefox Browser for Android @ GooglePlay (download/install)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... la.firefox

Firefox for Android (re-direct to googleplay for download/install)
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/#mobile

Firefox for Android: supported devices/platforms
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/mobile/platforms/

Richard Stallman: We're heading for a total disaster (Aug 2012)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFMMXRoSxnA

jpeps

#20 Post by jpeps »

nubc wrote:Someone told me today that very recently a Firefox Browser app was introduced to the Android arsenal.
No..it's been available for years, replete with a vast array of addons (adblock, etc) and search engines.

re Stallman: It's always a good idea to learn how to write your own apps, like he did. That gives you pretty good control. Android has great development tools, but most people are more than happy to give over their freedom for convenience.