How to install and configure latest Xvesa?

Booting, installing, newbie
gdguy

How to install and configure latest Xvesa?

#1 Post by gdguy »

Need to know how to:

1) Find the latest/last Xvesa pet. (Somehow found and installed 1.2.61)
2) Configure Xvesa to run on Puppy Lupu 5.2.8, frugal, usb drive (if even possible).

Any and all links and guidance GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks.

Commentary: Truly amazed at how fruitless internet searching on "how to configure Xvesa" has been. And how difficult fonts in linux are. Also amazed that something as general as "Xvesa pet" turns up ZERO results in this forum's search. --maybe just having a bad day---

FeodorF

Re: Xvesa

#2 Post by FeodorF »

Hello gdguy.
gdguy wrote:Commentary: Truly amazed at how fruitless internet searching on "how to configure Xvesa" has been. And how difficult fonts in linux are. Also amazed that something as general as "Xvesa pet" turns up ZERO results in this forum's search. --maybe just having a bad day---
There is an answere to your fonts question/remark.

http://linux.wikia.com/wiki/Puppy_Linux ... uppy_Linux

http://www.unifont.org/fontguide/

Ibidem

#3 Post by Ibidem »

As far as I know, an Xvesa that will suffice for most applications will usually only be available as part of the core OS. It's not usually packaged as a pet. (Sorry for the bad news.)
For configuring Xvesa:
It's a matter of running it; there will be several command line options you can pass to it, but those vary with the version.
Puppy versions that come with a stock Xvesa (I think 4.x or older) have a screen or so in the X setup wizard that lets you configure it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Gdguy, you may be overthinking your problem. We might be able to help you better if you'll tell us the problem you're trying to solve by using Xvesa, what you've tried so far and what happened.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Why do you want to use Xvesa?

Vesa driver is the one of choice as a generic driver.

Lupu 528 has manufacturers drivers you can use that will give you much better results.

In Quickpet->drivers tab
Run "click here to test your graphics card"
What driver is recommended?
If not what you are using, try using that driver.
Xvesa was dropped from Xorg 7.5. Xvesa was still in Xorg 7.4 I think but was somewhat broken. Nobody maintained it anymore, so it was dropped.

There is also other stuff that is different, for example, Xvesa does not use any of the Xorg keyboard setup files. Also, Xvesa has a fixed screen refresh rate, whereas with Vesa it can be changed.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

commit ec16357edaba23694b12fd234ffa12fd58a73dfa
Author: Tiago Vignatti <tiago.vignatti@nokia.com>
Date: Mon Nov 23 17:00:06 2009 +0200

configure: remove unused kdrive Xvesa config variable

Xvesa was gone in commit 6d21fbf0 and this should be there as well.

Signed-off-by: Tiago Vignatti <tiago.vignatti@nokia.com>
Signed-off-by: Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com>

commit 6d21fbf00648307208146aca0837ec63ea490659
Author: Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com>
Date: Wed Nov 5 11:39:46 2008 -0500

kdrive: Bye bye Xvesa
from xserver source git log --grep Xvesa

technosaurus was attaching Xvesa binaries from xserver source version 1.4 ( debian lenny ) somewhere in the forum , probably hardware section .

Otherwise Puppy-4.3.x was probably the last to include Xvesa from xserver source version 1.3 in the Distro by default .

Puppy-5 Lupu has xserver 1.7
and I think that has no Xvesa .

I am not sure if there are any static Xvesa binaries around .

gdguy

Xvesa

#7 Post by gdguy »

Thanks for all the quick replies !!!

I'll need some time to check out the links and digest your feedback.

Clarification for those wondering:

We have a portable USB puppy application that we would like to 'just work' on the widest range of hardware possible, similar to a 'live cd'. You boot to it, and you get the application, even at 800x600 16 bit vesa, and it 'just works'. (we're NOT setting up a single target, personal operating system for general multi-application 'desktop like' usage.) We don't have the luxury or desire for the end user to be dinking around with Xorg wizard probes and configuration steps. Just not acceptable. Gramma would not approve. She is CLI illiterate.

To this end we have already developed our application(s) in Puppy 5.2.8 which no longer has the Xvesa / Tiny X that 4.2 did. I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to 'forward port' Xvesa to 5.28 (versus back porting our application(s) to the slower booting 4.2). Our tests have shown that Xvesa 'just works' on all our targets, old and new, even computers that we can not get Xorg to work on at all using the wizard, hence our newly found preference for it.

If anyone has an even better suggestion than porting Xvesa I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)