Need better understanding of everything on a stick

Booting, installing, newbie
OldChap

Need better understanding of everything on a stick

#1 Post by OldChap »

I need a better understanding of putting everything on a stick.

Each time I shut down having used, in this instance, Fatdog64 700a1, I am invited to save the changes to cd.

I am not quite getting my head around setting this up to not use the hdd.

Should I be partitioning the memory stick for the program to use part of it?

Will saving to the cd allow me to build a new stick?

What I need is Fatdog64 to run with Boinc installed on the stick but also boinc needs to have data files saved to the same stick which change a lot.

Some guidance/direction or a link would help a lot here.... Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

First, have you used Boinc in Fatdog64 at all? If so, are you able to tell Boinc where its data files are kept? In other words, if you kept the data files in another partition, would Boinc be able to use them there?

Second, will you be using this USB Puppy in one computer only? If so, how much RAM does the computer have?

Third, one of the choices you get when Puppy shuts down for the first time is whether to save in a file. If you choose that one, you'll be asked where to put the file. Tell it to put the file on the USB flash stick. After that, when Puppy boots it should find the file and use it.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @OldChap, this may help you.

First on the FATDOG thread, the author @Kirk assisted you there, as can be seen by clicking this. He is an active participant on his thread.

You may find far more assistance tailored to your needs in FATDOG by moving this request to that thread.

2nd, the perception of HDD and USB from your point of view should be the same and not different. FATDOG will recognize the filesystems on either and will properly handle the directory structures on either in the same fashion at the desktop level. Like an HDD, a USB can be structured (partitioned) using GParted from the FATDOG Control Panel. As such,do NOT view a stick as some different animal. It exhibits the same properties and behavior as a HDD as far as Puppy and Linux setup, operations, and management is concerned.

Consider reposting your thread, there. Others in the educational community work there as well.

Here to help

OldChap

#4 Post by OldChap »

BOINC is in usr/share/BOINC.

the data is stored within that BOINC folder the path to the data file then is usr/share/BOINC/projects/worldcommunitygrid.org/

My question relates to what to do when I shut down. Yes kirk got me started but this is a much simpler and beginner question. I only saw an option to save to cd last time I went to shut down and now that, with a couple of small issues, things are running I am hoping to make this a totally portable setup which I can run from any rig.

What did I miss last time around?

...and thanks gc ... I guess it is my lack of knowledge about the stick being bootable and any limits there might be because of that that left me wondering and treating it differently