Barry Kauler announces his retirement from Puppy

News, happenings
Chili Dog

#46 Post by Chili Dog »

Nobody likes a quitter!

Jasper

#47 Post by Jasper »

Thankfully, success is measured by users, not by critics.

Chilli blows hot. Chilly blows cold. All wind blows.

darry1966

Not funny - Barry's Great Work Ethic

#48 Post by darry1966 »

Chili Dog wrote:Nobody likes a quitter!
Hello Chili Dog I have to say I'm am not quite sure whether your are being humorous or not but I think Barry is actually quite brave and has the right to make a decision based on what he believes in deciding he had reached a fork in the road and made a choice based on what he believed was right which is hardly the mark of a quitter.

Better to bow on top having achieved what he wanted than stay on and run out of ideas comming up with below par work.

He has left a legacy - a wonderful operating system which is totally unique. He had a hell of a lot on his shoulders and the other day it blew my mind how much he achieved with his homemade approach and how many tasks he took on a team of people would normally do.

so to sum he is no quitter he reminds me of what sportsman were like in my small country who ploughed on regardless despite the odds against them. He took on hell of a lot and I'm sorry to say I think the nobody likes a quitter bit - I didn't find at all funny.
Last edited by darry1966 on Sun 29 Sep 2013, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#49 Post by Burn_IT »

Everyone is entitled to retire......
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bruno

barry and puppy

#50 Post by bruno »

I hope Barry will change his mind, and come back, again..
And in the meantime, I hope everybody will continue to use and develop Puppy.

I don't have any training in software, but I enjoy using Puppy so much.
I think at this moment, Puppy is needed more than ever: soon millions of Pentium 4 PC's currently running on Win XP will be in need of new fast and stable OS, and Puppy is perfect for that.

And all those brand new PC's that are being sold now, running that horrible Win8, and infested with spyware... what is better than running Puppy on such a super fast machine?

The world needs Puppy now more than ever.

Volhout

My 5 cents

#51 Post by Volhout »

Maybe I should put a little oil on the fire....

In the puppy linux community Barry is God.

If even established developers like 01micko say that it is mandatory to use Rox in puppy linux, this is the closest I can see to the ten commandments as ever.

If we need to survive we need to change this mindset.

jpeps

Re: My 5 cents

#52 Post by jpeps »

Volhout wrote:
If we need to survive we need to change this mindset.
Puppy is linux, open source. You can choose whatever desktop you want, and that hold trues for most everything else..including what Gods you want to follow. I wasn't even aware of the Rox commandment, although it's my favorite.

Survival equates to period of usefulness. The biggest threat is that the underlying basis becomes increasingly less relevant as technology evolves. We still have a "save a kilobyte contingent" dedicated to reversion.

For that matter, you can still get DSL for an old computer. The question relates to period of active development more than survival.
Last edited by jpeps on Sun 29 Sep 2013, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#53 Post by James C »

After reading through these very entertaining threads I have a request.

All those who think that Barry Kauler will choose a successor ,be it an individual or a small group, that will fundamentally change Puppy Linux...... the underlying philosophy and the way it's built (Woof)..... raise your hands.

I don't think so...... with all the changes mentioned in these threads the result would be something not even resembling Puppy Linux.like it or not, Puppy is known for JWM and Rox...... but naturally the final decision rests with Barry K.

tronkel

#54 Post by tronkel »

No matter what happens in the future with Puppy Linux - whether the project itself will be led by a single lead developer or not - its basic philosophy does not have to change, even if its implementation style does change. From its inception to the present day, its philosophy has always been: keep it minimalist, fast and full-featured. No reason to change this no matter what changes occur.

The other aspect of Puppy that has been the source of its success is the community and its main window to the world i.e. this Murga forum. Puppy is not only a piece of software but in fact is also a social networking area - c.f. Facebook etc.

Many of the regulars on the forum clearly prefer to spend their time online in the Puppy Forum rather than on say, Facebook. For these geeks, the forum is probably more important to them than even Puppy Linux itself. If Puppy Linux and/or its forum were to disappear, a lot of these people could experience a life-changing crisis.

So in short, Puppy during its existence so far, has indeed seen many of its users go through a part of their lives that might be described as formative. That's the case with me.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Ted Dog

#55 Post by Ted Dog »

I think he should turn the keys over to people like him background wise, even if they are not as technologically strong.
I feel the personality of Prof. Kauler, has as much to do with this successful effort, as is his unique take on technology. We have attracted remarkable out of the box tinkerers to this project so progress in the future could continue on unabated. But one or more Professor types (you know who you are...) should step forward to assume guidance role.
Lets face facts, IT people are mostly anti-social or lack what others call social skills, most out of the box tinkerers can not perform the dual role needed here. Most wild crashes of open source projects have been ego induced.
Clear and fair guidance from a likable IT professor (or group) would keep the ball rolling

jpeps

#56 Post by jpeps »

Ted Dog wrote: Clear and fair guidance from a likable IT professor (or group) would keep the ball rolling
Probably most are working on things like blades for touch devices at this point.

01micko

#57 Post by 01micko »

After having a week or so to digest the fact that Barry is retiring I have formed some thoughts on how puppy can go forth.

Firstly, I was (and still am) a huge fan of the informal Benevolent Dictator model that has been in use by Barry since Puppy's inception. Only two other popular distros follow a similar model; Mint and Slackware, both still run by their original founders.

Secondly, let us not forget that this is Barry's baby and as a community we must respect that and any future changes must comply with Puppy's mission.

-

There have been many attempts by individuals and groups to organise Puppy, all failing. The forum is littered with several threads on this matter.

If we are to move Puppy forward, as an operating system and a brand, we as a community now have that chance, but, we only have one chance and it must be done right first go. It's a fickle world out there and any failure may see the demise of Puppy Linux.

There is no rush. Barry has stated that he will be around for a year or so and I imagine in that time that he will be in more of an "elder statesman" capacity to help steer any efforts to set up an organisation.

Remember there are two aspects to this. Woof and Puppy. There is already a VCS in place for woof, with Barry the sole committer at this stage.

It is not going to be easy. Herding cats isn't easy.

Of course every body has an opinion. I expect we will see a lot of those but the ones that matter are the ones that come from individuals that have a vested interest in Puppy Linux and have the time and capacity to do.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jpeps

#58 Post by jpeps »

01micko wrote:
Of course every body has an opinion. I expect we will see a lot of those but the ones that matter are the ones that come from individuals that have a vested interest in Puppy Linux and have the time and capacity to do.
Great..I'm glad you're interested (don't worry about the cats).

greengeek

#59 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote:Remember there are two aspects to this. Woof and Puppy. .
Maybe also a third - ie: all the other "almost puppy" klingons and derivatives.

I've noticed a lot of complaints from contributors who would like Woof and Puppy to divert away from Barry's vision and become more "this" or more "that" depending on their personal preference.

I think it is important for some capable person or persons to clarify and define Barry's vision (he'll probably do this himself over the coming months...) and try to maintain that core, but also important for other tinkerers and contributors to keep on fiddling at the fringes - feeling free to diversify and expand puppy but without interfering too much with the nucleus that stays true to Woof and Puppy standards etc.

Ted Dog

#60 Post by Ted Dog »

jpeps wrote:
01micko wrote:
Great..I'm glad you're interested (don't worry about the cats).
Oh are we volunteering 01micko. :lol: :D :lol:

NeroVance

#61 Post by NeroVance »

I thought Barry retired years ago :shock:
I'd say, I hope Barry can have a well earned rest, and relax.

Nothing is forever, but things never truly die supposedly. Even if Puppy was to go, it would come back in a new form.

Puppy is with it's community, let us keep carrying this torch and Barry's legacy.

Chili Dog

#62 Post by Chili Dog »

Quitters never win. And winners never quit.

darry1966

Micko Reply

#63 Post by darry1966 »

If we are to move Puppy forward, as an operating system and a brand, we as a community now have that chance, but, we only have one chance and it must be done right first go. It's a fickle world out there and any failure may see the demise of Puppy Linux.

Exactly why piling everything on one person going forward is ridiculous - Linux is about Community and about team work - With having a team the load can be shared.

No one owns Linux everyone does and as for this those with a vested interest we as users of Puppy all do the goal being to share, learn and help others whether you see Puppy as a "fun" project or not. Yes with all due respect Barry did create Puppy and it is his ideas and its up to him who he chooses to run Puppy or how. The whole idea of Linux or Gnu/Linux or whatever is to have sovereignty over your own computer unlike a Windows or any proprietary software run computer.

That means I have a vested interest in Puppy and I believe that every member of the Puppy community does and our opinions matter often especially more mature members offering wise sage advice.

The benevolent model as you put it may have worked when Barry was around but that was because of him as a person that doesn't mean that model will work now. I wish to also make clear the Jwm with Rox and anything else that makes Pup individual and gives it, its uniqueness need not change that is important for Puppy however as I have said all members of Puppy community are of value and it is for this reason piling it all on one person can lead to burn out again share the load. Open Source/Free software = Team Work

NeroVance

#64 Post by NeroVance »

I think there are new directions that could be taken, but I do think that there is a basic charm in such with Puppy.

Though personally, I kinda like the look of the older JWM. Maybe I'll build a puplet with the old and new JWM and modify the theme changer to also choose between JWMs.

I'd probably bundle Tcl/Tk with it, because that's my go to language typically, but eh, I'm just talking about a puplet, hence we will see where it goes.

RSH

#65 Post by RSH »

Chili Dog wrote:Quitters never win. And winners never quit.
Don't want to be offense.

But, can you imagine this?

There are people out in the world, who really don't care about "to be a winner" or "not to be a winner" !

---

"Everyone's a winner babe, that's the truth"
(Hot Chocolate)
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]