Barry Kauler announces his retirement from Puppy

News, happenings
James C

#136 Post by James C »

From Phoronix.....
While the Mir Display Server and the Wayland protocol are widely viewed as the next-generation display technologies for Linux systems, there's already been delays with Mir and Wayland hasn't yet been widely adopted. Even if/when Mir and Wayland manage to lift off, the X.Org Server won't suddenly die and will be supported for years to come.

Many are excited about Wayland and Mir, but still these new display systems present new demands on the Linux desktop stack in terms of graphics drivers and acceleration, there's issues with non-Linux operating systems, legacy X applications continue to need to be supported, and there will be enterprise Linux distributions that still need to maintain X support for years
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php/?page= ... px=MTQ3NjI

mafur

#137 Post by mafur »

tronkel wrote:How about taking a minimalist Debian Server Stable install and using that to master a system that has as many puppy characteristics as are feasible.
If you change that much will the result still be Puppy, or just another Debian spin? Then, name Puppy for a final product as one from group of Linux distributions doesn't have connection with what it suppose to do. That is not catchy name like Mint, Ubuntu, Arch or Slackware.

oldyeller

#138 Post by oldyeller »

No matter which way it goes to call it Puppy Linux will need Barry to approve it, Since Puppy Linux is copyrighted.

People may see things that need change or improvements, But puppy is one of a kind and no other linux is close to its uniqueness.

anikin

#139 Post by anikin »

mafur wrote:That is not catchy name like Mint, Ubuntu, Arch or Slackware.
Or, like "mafur"?

The clown is back under a new identity.
But the accent, the trolling pattern and BS talking remain just the same.

starhawk

#140 Post by starhawk »

I was thinking he sounded rather familiar. *sigh* Hi, simargl :evil:

Since you clearly have the sense to figure out what you like and what you don't like -- and having established that Puppy is firmly in the second category -- could you kindly please just leave, so we can all have some peace (you included)...? PLEASE...?

Maybe you and that dude I can't remember the name of, whotsizface who had the falling out with John Murga, could get together and form a Puppy Users Hate Group or something...?

James C

#141 Post by James C »

tronkel wrote: How about taking a minimalist Debian Server Stable install and using that to master a system that has as many puppy characteristics as are feasible.

Sure, it wouldn't be a "real" Puppy Linux as such, but it might make a great little platform for up-and-coming developers to hack around with. Only include stuff like JWM, Rox ,MTpaint, Abiword etc.
A really quick and dirty Debian w/ JWM and Rox-filer..... screenshot taken w/ MTPaint :And apt-get...... :) Fresh netinstall.

JWM, Rox-filer and the deps pulled in 86.3 mb.....removed Openbox and Thunar and got back about 12 mb.

EDIT:
Just looking at the screenshot ..... the slimmed down version is occupying 1.7 gb...... I have a pretty stock, fairly fresh Wheezy KDE install on here too and it's 5 gb.
Attachments
Debian.jpg
(66.82 KiB) Downloaded 1272 times

darkcity

#142 Post by darkcity »

Pussy Linux by sickgut is a project to create a Puppified Debian
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69475

tronkel

#143 Post by tronkel »

That's a nice screenshot James C. Good proof of concept. I wonder if, for example, .jwmrc configuration file from a recent Puppy could be used in order to make it look more like a classical Puppy with JWM.

On an seemingly unrelated topic, I've just been looking at Quidsup's latest test on Ubuntu-Gnome. He is not all that impressed with the latest Gnome 3.8 desktop. You can see the video on his YouTube channel. He likes Unity a bit more than Gnome though. But this is the point. According to Linus Torvalds,
the operating system should not get noticed by the user at all.
This is very far from the case with Ubuntu Unity/Gnome and also, of course, Windows. The refusal of these OS's to to disengage with the user of the system seems to mightily annoy a lot of users. How many users have stopped using Ubuntu and Windows altogether because of this user misuse (quote from RMS) interference? They seem to be sowing the seeds of their own demise here.

This is surely a lesson for Puppy. The Puppy desktop has always done a great job of keeping it's interaction with the user to the bare minimum. Debian and Arch do this as well, (climbing up the Distrowatch rankings recently).

To stay ahead of the pack here, even more effort is needed to keep the dog on the lead as regards simplicity. How would this proof-of-concept look with Fluxbox, to take one example?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

jpeps

#144 Post by jpeps »

Having a repository of java apps wouldn't be a bad idea. None require dependencies, and work on all flavors. I'm just trying out the Java Mod Player right now...really amazing how well these apps work. Mod player even uses the system tray.

darry1966

#145 Post by darry1966 »

Well I have to say I was purist when it came to Puppy Linux but I have thought about this debian with Puppy on top thing and it when I considered it makes sense and solves a lot of problems with out of date libraries so whatever you guys decide to good luck with it and look forward to the results. Besides Debian is pretty rock solid. I like James C's pic.

wanderer

#146 Post by wanderer »

hey i'm confused

will there be another official puppy

will Barry K ok (and the devs do) a community edition

I assume (hope) that all the devs
will keep working on their own projects
and posting to the forum
so we will have a whole lot of great puppy projects

by the way I use ttuuxxx's GREAT Classic Pup
the best for my hardware
thanks Barry K and ttuuxxx

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Thu 07 Nov 2013, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

wanderer

#147 Post by wanderer »

by the way
we have started a community edition thread in announcements
and many people have joined
if anyone wants to participate
I think this would be a good way
for everyone to get together
and carry on Barry K's work
and further develop puppy
hope to see you there

wanderer

raffy

link

#148 Post by raffy »

Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Bligh

#149 Post by Bligh »

I have followed Puppy from the very early days, I installed one of the early versions when the installation instructions were posted on the website. After the live cd and the save file were introduced that is what I used. I have used Puppy pretty much as it was released. Many of the posts on the forum do not apply to me as I have not installed it. I have had very few if any issues except those caused by myself. Thanks to all that have contributed.
BDFL +1
Cheers

Deacon

Time to change the thread names

#150 Post by Deacon »

raffy wrote:wanderer refers to this "community edition" thread.
Don't forget there is now a fork of Woof on Github! And 01micko's already got a Slacko compiled on it! Barry Approved!

I'm thinking these two threads need to be renamed, as the first focuses on the future direction of Puppy while the second is creating the technical underpinnings of the next versions of Puppy.

Either way, PIN THEM UP!

Puppy is alive-- the community has succeeded and Barry K's on board!

(Yeah dog)

KentC

#151 Post by KentC »

Well, being I've used this in the past as a tool to fix Microsoft Windows issues, and this being the one Linux I really enjoy, I also want to say I hope this project NEVER ceases...

I'm taking a different approach then you guys though, see..
Puppy Linux 4.3.1 has been to me, like the de-facto for trial/usage of this OS.

I don't see alot of work being done on that version itself which I think deserves more attention.

It's the only version I'll use and have started a site which is still under construction atm. When it is time to reveal such [that will be soon!] ,
I'll leave it up for anyone looking for help with that version as it's a maze of pages to get a decent working OS with that version.

That's all I can offer to the community, but I'll keep pushing forth.

[I have to, because alot of the files are scattered with no central home or puppy linux 4.3.1 site]

Kent C.

nitehawk

#152 Post by nitehawk »

Puppy 4.31 was a really good version. I enjoy still using it on my oldest computer....
so I look forward to your website, when you get it going.

ac2011

#153 Post by ac2011 »

I'm going to steer clear of any technical comments, but I'll chip in from a psychological/sociological point of view.

Committee or consensus leadership is probably not the way to go. It might work, but I've seen too many committee-based IT projects die out and/or descend into slanging matches to be convinced that it's the way to go here, especially as nobody's being paid and people can just walk away.

As others have noted, Puppy has succeeded because it has one overall leader, whether you call him a benevolent dictator or a lenient father figure. Replacing that person with a group of people is unlikely to work well, in my experience and opinion. Something will be produced, but that something is unlikely to be wonderful.

As Nathan F and others have pointed out, and as Jemimah (Puppeee, Fluppy, Saluki) would no doubt agree, creating and maintaining even a variant of Puppy is a tiring, time-consuming, almost full-time job.

For the best chance of success, you really need someone who has no major time constraints, no children (or adult children), no spouse (or a very understanding one) and an independent source of income. Plus experience, coding skills and a variety of other abilities and traits. And a huge interest in Linux.

That all points to someone older. I think the best chance of Puppy continuing after BK retires is to vote for one single dev/leader with the right skills and experience, and then agree to abide by his/her decisions.

Just my 2c worth.

darry1966

#154 Post by darry1966 »

"As Nathan F and others have pointed out, and as Jemimah (Puppeee, Fluppy, Saluki) would no doubt agree, creating and maintaining even a variant of Puppy is a tiring, time-consuming, almost full-time job."

" I can tell you from the experience of trying dozens of distros, creating my own, looking over the edge and realizing the lonely life of a sole developer, and walking away: open-source is nothing without community. Help create that, and you'll create a host of fellow Linux users."

I hope that helps.

Deacon Joseph Suaiden
Former Big Cheese, Colorwheel OS

Exactly why would you put it all on one person=burnout.

Open source is about the team model.

It is whether you just end up with a lot of talk talk or actually produce something.

Debate is necessary but you need to stop after certain amount of time and implement them or all you have is vapourwear. The CE model can work.