SpaceFM --customizable, single to 4 pane file manager

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
mikeslr

SpaceFM --customizable, single to 4 pane file manager

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,
Works OOTB on Precise,raring and Slacko and, of course, Saluki and Carolina. Probably others.
I couldn't find a reference to this pet using a Well-Minded Search. But knew it was available on the Saluki and Carolina repos. Here's the link to it on the latter, which rg66 just compiled using the latest source, 0.8.7: http://www.carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-common-packages/. SpaceFM can be configured to be anything from single pane file-manager to a four pane file-manager, each pane showing a directory-tree or not, independent of the other panes. As far as I can tell it provides all the functionality of rox, thunar and pcman. But rather than duplicate my effort, I'll refer you to my post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 566#726566 where I describe it as the ideal file-manager unless you desire the already built-in extensive keyboard short-cuts offered by xfe.

mikesLr

Pelo

Well, i ask my question

#2 Post by Pelo »

Well, i ask my question there, i would have preferred to ask here. Don't mind..

Pelo

Where did our French teacher found version 0.9.4 ?

#3 Post by Pelo »

Where did our French teacher found version 0.9.4 ? i browse the forum. Perhaps he has it in his stores, at ASRI forum.
here it is at surceforge.net, asriedu_packages_31x_base_puppyprecise5xx
"'m happy to see that 0.9.4 allows dragging multiple items, which 0.8.2 did not. And the new device menu is useful. I can't get to Preferences, though. When I click on View/Preferences, nothing happens. I carried over my settings from my previous install, so everything is already as I like it, but wanted to mention that apparent bug. " told us Cimarron
something is wrong with our teacher's package.
Attachments
asri.jpg
(38.68 KiB) Downloaded 810 times

backi

#4 Post by backi »

deleted

zagreb999

formating drives with spacefm

#5 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

spacefm is ideal for formating drives...

festus

#6 Post by festus »

Hello, all

I've been using peebee's, spacefm-1.0.5.pet, with much satisfaction, on norgo's slacko-700-RC3_k.4.4.70-PAE_2017-08-09

The spacefm-1.0.5.pet is located here, if interested:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... r/SpaceFM/

bliss,
festus

belham2

#7 Post by belham2 »

festus wrote:Hello, all

I've been using peebee's, spacefm-1.0.5.pet, with much satisfaction, on norgo's slacko-700-RC3_k.4.4.70-PAE_2017-08-09

The spacefm-1.0.5.pet is located here, if interested:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... r/SpaceFM/

bliss,
festus

Hi Festus,

Thanks for pointing this out!! I didn't even know Peebee did this new version-----we're gonna have hire that man a PR department as he's got so many irons in the murga-fire I can't keep up :lol:

belham2

SpaceFM copying problem

#8 Post by belham2 »

Hi Peebee,

I've been installing & testing your SpaceFM.pet (thank you!) across Zesty and several other 32-bit pups I have. It works good, except for one worrying problem I am running across in all installs of SpaceFM. Mainly, when copying anything larger than, say, ~20MB, especially when its 100MB or more (like savefiles), it always stalls at 90-93% of doing the job (pic below). I am wondering if it 'actually' is stalled, or if it is maybe actually finished and it is just SpaceFM itself not getting the proper signal from the pupOS that the copying has finished?
Attachments
SpaceFM-stalls-when-doing-copying.png
(84.93 KiB) Downloaded 659 times

backi

#9 Post by backi »

Ran into the similar Problems belham is talking about .
So it seems i am not the only one .
Was not quite sure so i deleted my comment above .
Something is wrong sometime when copying ..Stalled while copying .....just with some special Folders only .
Can not exactly describe and diagnose .
Did also install Spacefm 1.0.5 with Synaptic from Repo on a Bodhi Linux Hardidsk install .Same problem while copying this special Folder (a live Folder from Deb Dog containing a changes folder too ) So it has nothing to do with your pet .

Let me explain.
Case 1. while copying those special Folder --a live Folder from Deb Dog frugal installation- containing a changes folder with an E17 Enlightenment Desktop- plus setup (for Backup purposes) .......copying did stall after ca. 60% ....and never finished .

Case 2. while copying another live Folder --from another Deb Dog frugal installation containing a save folder (just some Openbox Desktop -without E17 Desktop-- similar the same size as in case 1.).....the whole process of copying went flawless .
So i suspect there must be some elements in the first changes Folder which i tried to copy which causes some Error for Spacefm .
Tested copying this Folder with XFE- Rox-Filer-Pcmanfm went without any Problems .
Don`t know what to think .

belham2

#10 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Ran into the similar Problems belham is talking about .
So it seems i am not the only one .
Was not quite sure so i deleted my comment above .
Something is wrong sometime when copying ..Stalled while copying .....just with some special Folders only .
Can not exactly describe and diagnose .
Did also install Spacefm 1.0.5 with Synaptic from Repo on a Bodhi Linux Hardidsk install .Same problem while copying this special Folder (a live Folder from Deb Dog containing a changes folder too ) So it has nothing to do with your pet .

Let me explain.
Case 1. while copying those special Folder --a live Folder from Deb Dog frugal installation- containing a changes folder with an E17 Enlightenment Desktop- plus setup (for Backup purposes) .......copying did stall after ca. 60% ....and never finished .

Case 2. while copying another live Folder --from another Deb Dog frugal installation containing a save folder (just some Openbox Desktop -without E17 Desktop-- similar the same size as in case 1.).....the whole process of copying went flawless .
So i suspect there must be some elements in the first changes Folder which i tried to copy which causes some Error for Spacefm .
Tested copying this Folder with XFE- Rox-Filer-Pcmanfm went without any Problems .
Don`t know what to think .

Hi Backi,

Yes, same thing I kept seeing here. I think it is a problem with the SpaceFM program source code itself. I noticed, in savefiles, if you've got any whiteout files (those deleted from the main .sfs and thus saved as deletes in the savefile), that is where SpaceFM coughs up a fur ball & just gives up. Oh well, it was nice to dream that things were fixed in it. But, like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown, it just ain't happening. On our arses we go ... :lol:

backi

#11 Post by backi »

Here is another article about "Spacefm is crashing more and more."

Sad-sad-sad ..... it really is a pity .
https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/677

belham2

#12 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Here is another article about "Spacefm is crashing more and more."

Sad-sad-sad ..... it really is a pity .
https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/677
Yes, it's sad.

And the hard part is I got too enthusiastic yesterday and installed this latest SpaceFM.pet across many of my best pups, making it the default filemanager. I sure hope it doesn't corrupt anything in them until I can get them back to like they were before, because I was moving files around a lot yesterday. :cry: Dam#, I hate being on the forefront (or maybe it's the backend, lol) and being the guinea pig when stuff gets released & there was/are no testing done to it beforehand.

I've really got to start sequestering my best pups and ddogs away from all the others, possibly on another hard drive completely. That way I can use the pups/ddogs I don't care about to thoroughly test stuff before letting them anywhere near the good ones. Problem is, I luv all my pups/ddogs, even my oldies but goodies, and try to show none as a favorite over the others 8)

fredx181

#13 Post by fredx181 »

Hi belham, backi,

Don't know if it helps, but it is not only spacefm having trouble copying special files (like parcellite fifo_c) when using Thunar it won't copy such a file also (but gives message like "Cannot copy special file" and offering you to skip it)
Folders containing changes often include also such special files.
(using cp from command line works fine mostly)

Fred

backi

#14 Post by backi »

Hi belham !
Maybe these Problems will be fixed ,,,,,,sooner or later ....who knows ..
I`ll keep using XFE File-Manager ......as good as SpaceFm....just one thing could not manage to do...
how to mount Drives/Partitions directly?
So i just made my Desktop Drive Icons setting to open Partitions/Drives with XFE .

backi

#15 Post by backi »

So my conclusion is :

HANDS OFF FROM SPACEFM.....DANGEROUS TO USE !!!!

peebee

#16 Post by peebee »

I've deleted....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

festus

spacefm-1.0.6-i686

#17 Post by festus »

Hello, all

Edit:Here is one for Xenial64-7.5:
https://www.datafilehost.com/d/654c1a19

spacefm-1.0.6_x86_64.pet 1.1 M
MD5: 1c3f6496a3c4de95e5a68600fa89625d

I compiled this new version, spacefm-1.0.6, yesterday, have tested it on bionic, slacko-6999_32bit, xenial32-7.5. It will probably work in other pups.

This file-manager is performing very well.

The copy/stall problem seems to have been solved.

The locales are left in the pet

If anyone would like to have it:
https://www.datafilehost.com/d/8bee37b4

spacefm-1.0.6-i686.pet 1.1 MB
MD5: cdd71dff222e3b8d468594930e70b802

bliss,
festus
Attachments
about_spacefm.png
(23.02 KiB) Downloaded 433 times

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: spacefm-1.0.6-i686

#18 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

festus wrote:Hello, all

Edit:Here is one for Xenial64-7.5:
https://www.datafilehost.com/d/654c1a19

spacefm-1.0.6_x86_64.pet 1.1 M
MD5: 1c3f6496a3c4de95e5a68600fa89625d

I compiled this new version, spacefm-1.0.6, yesterday, have tested it on bionic, slacko-6999_32bit, xenial32-7.5. It will probably work in other pups.

This file-manager is performing very well.

The locales are left in the pet

If anyone would like to have it:
https://www.datafilehost.com/d/8bee37b4

spacefm-1.0.6-i686.pet 1.1 MB
MD5: cdd71dff222e3b8d468594930e70b802

bliss,
festus
thanks for these, festus. seems to work well in tahr64 605 and an older xenial spin i'm using.

i tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions with my tahr64 spins (32lib sfs loaded for the 32 bit test) and both appear to work equally well.

mirrored it at my repo and thanks again.

-puppus

___

edit: have yet to try in 64 bit, but the 32 bit version doesn't appear to recognize ntfs, at least in my outdated xenial pup (64 bit recognizes vfat...)

tested a large file transfer (300mb mp3) ext4 to ext4 and that appeared to go well, so maybe that issue's indeed fixed...

hth

-pd
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#19 Post by backi »

Hi Festus !
This would be very cool ......i like this File-Manager a lot .....but abandoned it due to copy/stall problems....if this problem really is solved .....SUPER ---
So thanks a lot Festus .

backi

#20 Post by backi »

Hi Festus !

I have to revoke my Statement .The copy/stall Problem still exists .
Did copy a "changes" Folder (Bionic-Dog) from Usb-Stick to another Linux partition (60 Mega-Bytes) but did not finish copying.

Dangerous to use when copying ,don`t use SpaceFm for copying .
What a pity.