X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#991 Post by Marv »

change_kernels run in terminal makes it pretty simple to swap. I have LxPupSc with the 4.5.2 PAE kernel in my boot dir so I used that. Boots and runs fine. Do you have a specific need for a 4.x.x kernel?

Code: Select all

Computer
Operating System
Version
Kernel	Linux 4.5.2-lxpup-32-pae (i686)
Version	#1 SMP Sat Apr 23 12:26:45 GMT-8 2016
C Library	GNU C Library version 2.17 (stable)
Distribution	Puppy Linux
Current Session
Computer Name	Puppy-PC
User Name	root (root)
Home Directory	/root
Desktop Environment	XFCE 4
Misc
Uptime	3 minutes
Load Average	0.93, 0.68, 0.29
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

tano70

#992 Post by tano70 »

Marv wrote:change_kernels run in terminal makes it pretty simple to swap. I have LxPupSc with the 4.5.2 PAE kernel in my boot dir so I used that. Boots and runs fine. Do you have a specific need for a 4.x.x kernel?

Computer
Operating System
Version
Kernel	Linux 4.5.2-lxpup-32-pae (i686)
Version	#1 SMP Sat Apr 23 12:26:45 GMT-8 2016
C Library	GNU C Library version 2.17 (stable)
Distribution	Puppy Linux
Current Session
Computer Name	Puppy-PC
User Name	root (root)
Home Directory	/root
Desktop Environment	XFCE 4
Misc
Uptime	3 minutes
Load Average	0.93, 0.68, 0.29
I do not have specific needs, but I would like explaining to me the correct procedure for installing the x86_64 kernel 4.5.X Pae in my X-Slacko64. You can place the file and tell me what to do to activate the new kernel?

rg66

#993 Post by rg66 »

tano70 wrote:Hello Rg66, I love this distro, is very fast in the initial load,and also in the poweroff. I love XFCE as a desktop environment, flowing smoothly,XFCE in my opinion is the best user experience as a graphical environment. I have no problem on peripheral recognition on my laptop Lenovo X1 Carbon. What would I like? the latest version of the 4.5.X kernel and libraries libva intel functioning, in order to use GPU acceleration on video. I used libva and libva-intel-driver by installing the packages TXZ slackware, but they do not work. I also used the distribution Tahr 64 puppy, but X-Slacko in my opinion is even better.
I've never really had much luck compiling kernels. I would probably use stemsee's kernel-modules.sfs-4.5.2-i686-pae and vmlinuz-4.5.2-i686-pae posted here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 020#903020

Rename kernel-modules.sfs-4.5.2-i686-pae to zdrv_xslacko_4.0.sfs and vmlinuz-4.5.2-i686-pae to vmlinuz and put where your current zdrv and vmlinuz are (back up or overwrite the originals), then from terminal

echo -n s151116222511ZZZZ6.3.0XXXXXXXXXX >> /pathto/zdrv_xslacko_4.0.sfs
echo -n s151116222511ZZZZ6.3.0XXXXXXXXXX >> /pathto/vmlinuz

I would also start fresh and make a new save.

As for the intel drivers, I don't have anything new enough to test on.
Last edited by rg66 on Tue 10 May 2016, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

Re: applications don't open with associated applications

#994 Post by rg66 »

outtaspam wrote:Something is amiss. Double clicking txt and rtf files does not launch text editor or Abiword, respectively. An error happens when doing same with image files.
I've checked and re-checked default applications to no avail.
Help please. Thanks to all on this exemplary forum!
Something must be corrupted as I have no trouble opening txt, rtf or images in the default applications by double clicking. X-slacko4.0.iso md5sum is c997dd18644b2bf20fe6fed5b3e630a7

Marcelo Lagoa

How to install package SFS into X-Slacko ?

#995 Post by Marcelo Lagoa »

Hello Developers X-Slacko
Congratulations for the work, enjoyed the Puppy with XFCE interface. I am impressed with the lightness and beautiful interface.
But I'm experiencing some minor problems:
I find "how to" in Portuguese (my native language) and know very little about Puppy Linux family.
I made a frugal installation of X-Slacko version 4.0 and now I want to install large applications in SFS format (LibreOffice, Gimp, etc).

In the menu, I found these four applications:
a) Puppy Package Manager v2 (I know it's for package installations "pet")
b) SFS Converter 1.3
c) SFS load-on-the-fly v.2.3.7
d) SFS Manager 12:11

I do not know the structure of my installation is "file-save" or "directory saved."

I do not know how to download and how to install SFS packages. My knowledge and command of English is very little, and this type of installation is completely new to me, who come from other traditional distributions.
I looked for something like this:
"How To Install SFS" here in the Forum, but what I found here is very technical and I'm a complete newbie !!

Someone Forum can help me? I am grateful for any help.
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-05-10_12.47.48.jpg
(19.76 KiB) Downloaded 475 times

starhawk

#996 Post by starhawk »

Using explain-like-I'm-five language, and syntax/grammar optimized for machine translation (such as Google Translate). No offense is meant, just -- it's probably the best way to do it, here.

For LibreOffice.

Download this SFS. (Click "Download" not "Save to Yandex Drive". The button is small and white, on the right side of the screen.) While this does not give you Portuguese (I do not believe we have a Portuguese translation available, my apologies) -- it gives you both English and Spanish, which I hope is good enough.

Your download location for this file should be /mnt/home. If your browser does not ask you where to download, it is downloading to /root/Downloads, which will likely cause problems -- in that case, cancel the download, and fix the problem, then begin the download again. (For Firefox. For Chrome or Chromium.)

Once the download has completed, open "SFS-Load-On-The-Fly". You will see a box on the left side with an arrow. Click the arrow, and select the LibreOffice SFS within. Next, click the "Load" button, below the box with the arrow. If there is a box that asks you if you want to load the SFS, click "Yes" "OK" or similar. Let it do its thing. At the end, you will be prompted with the option to start/open other features. Instead, click the "Quit" button at the lower-right corner.

For GIMP.

Download from here --> http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt ... 0.4.tar.gz (You will be presented with a dialog to download, directly from that link.) Again, download to /mnt/home. Once it is all there, go to it, right-click on the picture for the file (we say "icon" here in the USA), and choose to "Open with PupZip." Select the folder/directory picture inside, named gimp-portable- 2.8.16-0.4, and, holding down your left mouse button, drag it to /mnt/home. (You must "extract" the files this way -- if you tell it to "Extract to Here" from the right-click menu instead, it will produce nothing but an error. I do not know why.)

Now close PupZip, and go inside the directory you have just "extracted". Double-click on the picture/icon named gimp-2.8.16-presice_xz.sfs. (Note -- Shino, who has made this SFS, is not a native English speaker, either, and has swapped the 'c' and 's' from their proper places within that name. We don't actually care.) You will be given a strangely-colored box. Click the words "Install SFS" at the bottom right of the box. At the next box, click "OK". The box after that, click "Move". At the final box, click "Quit". Lastly, double-click the file "Register" within the same folder/directory. It will do its tasks without further input from you. Once it is done, you have
installed GIMP and it will have menu icons (etc).

The instructions for other SFS-install applications are similar...

gcmartin

#997 Post by gcmartin »

@Marcelo Lagoa, @StarHawk has given good advice on how to get a SFS operational in your system AND he has explained how to handle files which end ".tar.gz" so that they can be used in your system.

Because, it appears that you are seeking which path, and because you are new, I suggest that you use Puppy Package Manager (PPM). I say this as it makes new packages a part of your continuing system AND it handles ANY dependencies for all of the packages found via PPM. Packages found in PPM will install without user related issues. PPM is a excellent and safe path for those persons new to Puppy Linux.

Hope this is helpful.

Marcelo Lagoa

#998 Post by Marcelo Lagoa »

Thank @StarHawk the explanations, thank @gcmartin for advice.

But I did the installation of LibreOffice and Gimp packages for PPM and the result was satisfactory.
However, I'm looking for a way to let my lighter and faster OS, since I have only 1024MB of RAM and a Sempron 2400+ processor.

I used the "Google Translator" to read explanations of the SFS installation and considered very technical texts to my understanding, but I understood that large applications work best on SFS facilities.
For that reason I uninstalled my packages PPM Gimp and LibreOffice and now want to try to make a SFS installation.

I have noticed that my computer work faster with the installation of X-Slacko. Before that, only could a reasonable performance with basic facilities systems without any major application installed. Until Xubuntu was heavy for me ...
I wish success to all Puppy Linux team and especially the X-Slacko team, and the members of this forum.
Last edited by Marcelo Lagoa on Tue 10 May 2016, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#999 Post by starhawk »

What manufacturer and model is your computer, Marcelo?

Marcelo Lagoa

#1000 Post by Marcelo Lagoa »

HardInfo 0.5.2pre say:
AMD Sempron 2400+ / 1030MB (the system use 271MB)
HD: ATA Samsung SP1613N
VGA controller: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (rev a1)
Motherboard: Asus A7V400-MX ACPI BIOS Revision 1004
My "puppy-pc" is a real Frankenstein ... and was built with recycled parts!

But something is not right configured as experiment some bottlenecks and while typing the text in the forum, locked keyboard and mouse and had to do a reset (and even changing the memory recording event for the shutdown, my HD continues sparking led every word I write).
I think I have not enough resources on my PC to run everything in memory...

starhawk

#1001 Post by starhawk »

You should be able to double your memory. I'd offer to send you some (I do that for people sometimes) but I'd have to insist on you paying the shipping costs -- and that's in excess of us$30...

Marcelo Lagoa

#1002 Post by Marcelo Lagoa »

My PC supports this type of memory:
"2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets support up to 2GB maximum
unbuffered PC2700 / 2100/1600 non-ECC DDR
SDRAM memory. "
But he is running with two DDR DIMM 512MB (2x512). It is very outdated and here it is very difficult to find this type of memory (2 x 1GB) in good condition to upgrade. And when you find in Brazil, ask an absurd value, because they know that is hard to find in the market.
That's why I did not do the upgrade to date.
Some schools and institutions do upgrade your equipment regularly, and maybe I can buy some old memory in working order.
I must have patience and wait for the right moment.

Thank you so much good will, Starhawk, but it really is not feasible transportation of "RAM" US to Brazil...

starhawk

#1003 Post by starhawk »

I suspected such... hence why I phrased it how I did.

You might look on eBay. I have had good luck with RAM bought there.

rg66

#1004 Post by rg66 »

X-slacko-4.1 is available for download

-add packit-1.14
-add xvkbd-3.7
-update to firefox-45.1.1esr
-update to yad-0.36.2
-minor bug fixes

Download ISO and md5
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/

Download delta and md5
http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/iso/delta/

Marv

DISTRO_SPECS in 4.1 initrd.gz

#1005 Post by Marv »

PM'd you with this but for some reason mail takes foreeeever.

4.0 to 4.1 delta downloaded, md5sum ok, applied. In the resulting initrd.gz on the iso the DISTRO_SPECS still shows 4.0 so it won't boot. Copied the DISTRO_SPECS from the main 4.1 SFS in there and it books correctly. Haven't downloaded the full iso so don't know if that is true there also.

Update: That done, boots and runs perfectly on the core 2 duo iwlwifi i915 laptop. 4.0 savefile updated with no issues.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

Re: DISTRO_SPECS in 4.1 initrd.gz

#1006 Post by rg66 »

Marv wrote:PM'd you with this but for some reason mail takes foreeeever.

4.0 to 4.1 delta downloaded, md5sum ok, applied. In the resulting initrd.gz on the iso the DISTRO_SPECS still shows 4.0 so it won't boot. Copied the DISTRO_SPECS from the main 4.1 SFS in there and it books correctly. Haven't downloaded the full iso so don't know if that is true there also.

Update: That done, boots and runs perfectly on the core 2 duo iwlwifi i915 laptop. 4.0 savefile updated with no issues.
Ya my bad, thanks for reporting in. New ISO and delta uploaded.

tano70

#1007 Post by tano70 »

chromium browser not work. please a version that work?

# chromium
/usr/bin/chromium: line 16: /usr/lib64/chromium/chromium: cannot execute binary file
/usr/bin/chromium: line 16: /usr/lib64/chromium/chromium: Success
#

Marv

#1008 Post by Marv »

tano70 wrote:chromium browser not work. please an ultimate version that work?
Are you trying to run a 64bit chromium or is this post in the wrong place? This is a 32bit puppy.

I'm running peebees 32bit SFS from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 658#899658 I might be a version back at chromium_50.0.2661.94+pepper_21.0.0.213 but these have all worked for me OOTB and with the profile symlinked to a common location on an EXT2 partition. I do nothing but place the SFS in my frugal boot partition and use the SFS-load on-the-fly utility to load it.

Ps. I do usually install Opensans fonts from fontsquirrel.com and to me chromium renders better with them.

tano70

#1009 Post by tano70 »

Marv wrote:
tano70 wrote:chromium browser not work. please an ultimate version that work?
Are you trying to run a 64bit chromium or is this post in the wrong place? This is a 32bit puppy.

I'm running peebees 32bit SFS from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 658#899658 I might be a version back at chromium_50.0.2661.94+pepper_21.0.0.213 but these have all worked for me OOTB and with the profile symlinked to a common location on an EXT2 partition. I do nothing but place the SFS in my frugal boot partition and use the SFS-load on-the-fly utility to load it.

Ps. I do usually install Opensans fonts from fontsquirrel.com and to me chromium renders better with them.
Ok work!! thanks so much!! 32 bit !!

outtaspam

Re: applications don't open with associated applications

#1010 Post by outtaspam »

Something is amiss. Double clicking txt and rtf files does not launch text editor or Abiword, respectively. An error happens when doing same with image files.
I've checked and re-checked default applications to no avail.
Help please. Thanks to all on this exemplary forum!

Something must be corrupted as I have no trouble opening txt, rtf or images in the default applications by double clicking. X-slacko4.0.iso md5sum is c997dd18644b2bf20fe6fed5b3e630a7
Hi rg66. I verified the MD5 for 4.0 and it matched. Then downloaded 4.1, verified MD5 and made a new frugal installation. The problem remains - no response on clicking or double clicking these files.
The problem did not exist in versions 3.1 and earlier.
Any other ideas?