X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mikeslr

Video-Editing Apps that work in X-Slacko-1.1 non-pae

#91 Post by mikeslr »

Video-Editing Apps that work in X-Slacko-1.1 non-pae

Hi rg66 & all,

Just thought I'd mention that what I said in the following post applies to X-slacko-1.1, at least the non-pae version. Don't know about other x-slackos.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 063#753063.

You might want to consider mirroring Battleshooter's Openshot and Kdenlive SFSes on your site. Too many good apps are lost because of host problems or if their creators loose interest.

mikesLr

EdD

#92 Post by EdD »

Just booted up the pae version. Screen resolution came up fine, 1680x1050, ati driver chosen on startup does ok. First oddity was with the initial setup dialog box. Clicking on the setup icon at the bottom results in no response. Opened control panel and package manager isn't in there. I found it in system, in the menu, but nowhere else.

Starting firefox, it comes up with a delay, then, if it's minimized it won't restore, just stays in the tray and requires a second opening of the browser that comes up at the homepage, though the history shows this thread that I minimized to get at the control panel again.. The o/s runs pretty fast, no real problems except the oddities I mentioned. Maybe it's just my machine. Specs are in my sig line.

Regards,
Ed
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

starhawk

#93 Post by starhawk »

Bit of a nasty bug in X-Slacko 1.0 -- dunno if it's some weird interaction with my hardware (it's happened before) or not.

Any time I install a PET from the forum, or ANY package (happens with compatible Slackware TXZ's and with DEB's as well), a minute or two after I tell PetGet to install, the system 'soft freezes' -- mouse can move, but clicks don't register. If I do CTRL+ALT+BKSP it doesn't get to a # prompt, but freezes hard at the desktop instead -- and sometimes it doesn't even get that far!

Not a good thing.

Was this fixed in 1.1? If so I'll upgrade. I'm still putting that off :oops:

rg66

#94 Post by rg66 »

@ EdD

I haven't had any of those things happen on any of the comps I've run X-slacko on, Maybe check the md5.

@ starhawk

Ya, that was fixed in 1.1. It was a file overwrite warning that was causing it.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

starhawk

#95 Post by starhawk »

OK, I'll bite the bullet and upgrade today.

johnywhy

#96 Post by johnywhy »

Thanks for x-slacko! xfce is my favorite desktop/window mgr.

issue 1:

on X-Slacko 1.0, in uGet, on right-click a file, pick "Open containing folder".

nothing happens. Does not seem to work.

Issue 2:

in "Puppy boot configuration" app, click "Choose which extra sfs files to load at bootup."

(Sorry, i could not find the X-Slacko 1.0 thread.)
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rg66

#97 Post by rg66 »

johnywhy wrote:on X-Slacko 1.0, in uGet, on right-click a file, pick "Open containing folder".

Sorry, i could not find the X-Slacko 1.0 thread.
Good spot, never noticed that before. It's a broken symlink in /usr/bin, create a symlink to /usr/bin/exo-open named xdg-open and it'll work.

You got it right, all X-slacko versions are under the same thread.
Last edited by rg66 on Mon 10 Feb 2014, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

johnywhy

#98 Post by johnywhy »

thx!

also,

in "Puppy boot configuration" app, click "Choose which extra sfs files to load at bootup."

[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rg66

#99 Post by rg66 »

johnywhy wrote:thx!

also,

Just tried it and it's working here. Maybe try running from command line to see what error shows.

johnywhy

#100 Post by johnywhy »

rg66 wrote: try running from command line to see what error shows.
cannot find the command here-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CommandLinePrograms

is it one of those?

thx
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rg66

#101 Post by rg66 »

johnywhy wrote:cannot find the command here-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CommandLinePrograms

is it one of those?

thx
Type "bootmanager" (without quotes) in terminal.

johnywhy

#102 Post by johnywhy »

ok, thx. here's the output of bootmanager at command-line, choosing sfs:

Code: Select all

# bootmanager
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: eval: line 264: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: eval: line 264: `Xdialog --wmclass "module16" --backtitle "Choose which SFS files are to be loaded at bootup.\n(top entry will be on top Unionfs layer)" --title "BootManager: SFS files" --left --stdout --separator " " --help "Please click the 'install' icon on the desktop for information about SFS files.\nYou will find an introduction, plus links to SFS files that can be downloaded.\n\nNote, the BootManager performs some filtering of the available SFS files,\nscreening out some that might have incorrect version number -- files of the\nformat '*_nnn.sfs' should be '*_5.6.0.sfs' to pass the filter." --buildlist "Note1: No more than 6 SFS files in right-pane!\nNote2: These files are at /mnt/home or /mnt/home/slacko (in sda1 partition)" 0 0 8 devx_slacko_5.6.0.sfs devx_slacko_5.6.0.sfs off devx_slacko_5.6(0).sfs devx_slacko_5.6(0).sfs on >/tmp/bmrettags.txt'
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: line 264: warning: syntax errors in . or eval will cause future versions of the shell to abort as Posix requires
# 
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rg66

#103 Post by rg66 »

johnywhy wrote:ok, thx. here's the output of bootmanager at command-line, choosing sfs:

Code: Select all

# bootmanager
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: eval: line 264: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: eval: line 264: `Xdialog --wmclass "module16" --backtitle "Choose which SFS files are to be loaded at bootup.\n(top entry will be on top Unionfs layer)" --title "BootManager: SFS files" --left --stdout --separator " " --help "Please click the 'install' icon on the desktop for information about SFS files.\nYou will find an introduction, plus links to SFS files that can be downloaded.\n\nNote, the BootManager performs some filtering of the available SFS files,\nscreening out some that might have incorrect version number -- files of the\nformat '*_nnn.sfs' should be '*_5.6.0.sfs' to pass the filter." --buildlist "Note1: No more than 6 SFS files in right-pane!\nNote2: These files are at /mnt/home or /mnt/home/slacko (in sda1 partition)" 0 0 8 devx_slacko_5.6.0.sfs devx_slacko_5.6.0.sfs off devx_slacko_5.6(0).sfs devx_slacko_5.6(0).sfs on >/tmp/bmrettags.txt'
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: line 264: warning: syntax errors in . or eval will cause future versions of the shell to abort as Posix requires
# 
Ok, you got me on that one. Looks like it's having issues with the variable EXECME at line 244. You could always try SFS load on the fly from menu > system, that should load them every boot as well.

sszindian

update to 1.1

#104 Post by sszindian »

Curious?

Tryed to do an update from Xslacko-1.0 non-pae to Xslacko-1.1 non-pae. (I load all puppy's from the CD with a Savefile on my HDD) Used an X-Slacko-1.1.iso created with the delta.

Upon running the new 1.1
There was no indicators giving the usual puppy update features.

Does X-Slacko-1.1 just use the SFS and Savefile files from X-Slacko-1.0 but infact updates itself without giving any indication?

I can't find an SFS 1.1 file on my HDD only a Slacko 'Folder' that has a 'puppy_xslacko_5.6.sfs' file and a ''xslackosave-0_1.4fs' in it and an SFS 'zdrv_slacko_4.99.1.sfs' on /initrd/mnt/dev_save (sda1)

How can one tell if infact you have the update or not... looks just like it did before?
or....
does X-Slacko-1.1 require a 'fresh install'?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rg66

#105 Post by rg66 »

@sszindian

There's not much difference between 1.0 and 1.1, and since the SFS name is the same it won't ask to upgrade your savefile. I think for 1.2 I will change the SFS names from the stock slacko name to puppy_xslacko-1.2 etc.....

starhawk

#106 Post by starhawk »

Hey, rg66, when you get the time, I've got a question. Why is it that the "my computer locks up when I install a non-PPM package" goes away in Slacko 1.0 (still haven't upgraded :oops: ) after installing a PPM package? I'm genuinely curious about that... seems very odd.

rg66

#107 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:Hey, rg66, when you get the time, I've got a question. Why is it that the "my computer locks up when I install a non-PPM package" goes away in Slacko 1.0 (still haven't upgraded :oops: ) after installing a PPM package? I'm genuinely curious about that... seems very odd.
I have no idea why it does that, it has been fixed since the file overwrite check has been removed.

starhawk

#108 Post by starhawk »

starhawk wrote:Bit of a nasty bug in X-Slacko 1.0 -- dunno if it's some weird interaction with my hardware (it's happened before) or not.

Any time I install a PET from the forum, or ANY package (happens with compatible Slackware TXZ's and with DEB's as well), a minute or two after I tell PetGet to install, the system 'soft freezes' -- mouse can move, but clicks don't register. If I do CTRL+ALT+BKSP it doesn't get to a # prompt, but freezes hard at the desktop instead -- and sometimes it doesn't even get that far!
NOT FIXED in X-Slacko 1.1 PAE. Running that on my Acer Asppire 5532 (despite my typical anti-PAE stance, it is useful in some narrow circumstances...) -- tried to install Chrome 32 from the forum and it did the same thing.

I've noticed that after installing a PET from PPM, which somehow fixes this bug, on shutdown I see something like "slackosave.3fs mounted top layer, session already saved" instead of the prior "Saving session to slackosave.3fs..." but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

rg66

#109 Post by rg66 »

@ starhawk

The bug was fixed in 1.1, are you using a 1.0 save file? Try it in RAM and see what happens.

The shutdown message should depend on what pupsave mode you're in. Frugal to HD should give the "slackosave.3fs mounted top layer, session already saved" message. The other one is maybe for USB flash, not sure. Check pupsave config in Control panel > System.

starhawk

#110 Post by starhawk »

Was using a fresh install with ext3 savefile on another system -- I can try it running from RAM but I really don't expect anything different and I'd rather not ding up the FS on that drive any more than I have to ;) I know from experience that hard reboots are not Puppy-friendly, even on ext3...

Both installs (netbook and second system) are frugal to SSD -- pmedia=ataflash. Also, I was wrong; it's the netbook is the one giving me "session already saved" -- the other system still has to save on shutdown. Probably that's because I'm using a browser SFS on that system in addition to the savefile...