X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#871 Post by rg66 »

@Marv

Confirmed your way works (in X-slacko anyway), I couldn't get it to work any other way. Automount drives and open in thunar works though so not sure if it's a volume manager issue. I noticed that in /root/.pup_event/drive_sr0/AppRun that exec defaultcdplayer is missing cdda://, as it won't auto run without that.
if [ -f /usr/local/bin/defaultcdplayer ];then #100118
exec defaultcdplayer
else
exec defaultmediaplayer cdda://
fi
You can't edit it though because it keep getting over written.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Marv

#872 Post by Marv »

@rg66,
Yes, the AppRuns are generated by the portion of the eventmanager which is compiled so ... I wrestled with that in one of my deRoxification efforts some time ago. Actually, the defaultcdplayer I posted earlier should work fine in X-slacko and is a cleaner fix than hiding the cdplayer to force use of the defaultmediaplayer in X-slacko.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#873 Post by rg66 »

Marv wrote:@rg66,
Yes, the AppRuns are generated by the portion of the eventmanager which is compiled so ... I wrestled with that in one of my deRoxification efforts some time ago. Actually, the defaultcdplayer I posted earlier should work fine in X-slacko and is a cleaner fix than hiding the cdplayer to force use of the defaultmediaplayer in X-slacko.
You would think that setting defaultcdplayer to use defaultmediaplayer would work.

Marv

#874 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:
Marv wrote:@rg66,
You would think that setting defaultcdplayer to use defaultmediaplayer would work.
I don't see why it wouldn't. Lot's of ways to do this, don't know what's cleanest.

On another note, have you or anyone any guidance on using an iphone 6 with either 1b3 or X-slacko. My first time ever with any MTP device so... plug it in, gphoto2 finds it, IDs it as an iphone 5, and opens thunar. Access allowed on the iphone in the dialog box that pops up so it knows it is connected also. A storage folder shows up but no photos. A complete noob at this so be gentle :D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#875 Post by rg66 »

Marv wrote:On another note, have you or anyone any guidance on using an iphone 6 with either 1b3 or X-slacko. My first time ever with any MTP device so... plug it in, gphoto2 finds it, IDs it as an iphone 5, and opens thunar. Access allowed on the iphone in the dialog box that pops up so it knows it is connected also. A storage folder shows up but no photos. A complete noob at this so be gentle :D
For my iphone 4, pupcamera opens (no photo's visible) and a popup on the phone asks if I trust this computer. I click yes then pupcamera opens another instance and click on "Open usb:xxxxx" and the photo's are there. There is an MTP app in X-slacko from 01micko but it doesn't support iphones.

Marv

#876 Post by Marv »

MTP access now working for me with an iphone 6 in X-slacko 3.1n. Haven't yet tried it in 1b3. The Pentium Ms have real trouble with gvfs-metadata.service so I had it disabled on that machine. Tried MTP access on the core 2 duo and it worked so I re-enabled the gvfs-metadata on the M. Getting to the end of the road for them alas.

The other key was once hot plugging the phone, waiting for the dialog box on it and allowing access on it before clicking on "Open usb:xxxxx" in pupcamera.

At any rate, the photos of Norway can be viewed and all is well. I learned a bit in the process too, guess that's good.

Thanks for the encouragement/guidance,

Mike Walsh

#877 Post by Mike Walsh »

@rg66:-

Hi, there. I'm running X-Slacko 2.3.2 here; trouble free, on an old Compaq Presario PC. One query (and I don't even know if you can advise me on this); every time I boot into X-Slacko, it doesn't matter what level I've left the volume control at from the previous session.....it always resets itself back to a 'default' setting of 87%. Which is pretty loud.....and a teensy bit annoying.

Is there anywhere in the system where this can be re-configured, that you know of?

Mike. :wink:

rg66

#878 Post by rg66 »

Mike Walsh wrote:@rg66:-

Hi, there. I'm running X-Slacko 2.3.2 here; trouble free, on an old Compaq Presario PC. One query (and I don't even know if you can advise me on this); every time I boot into X-Slacko, it doesn't matter what level I've left the volume control at from the previous session.....it always resets itself back to a 'default' setting of 87%. Which is pretty loud.....and a teensy bit annoying.

Is there anywhere in the system where this can be re-configured, that you know of?

I'm in 2.3.2 now and the file /etc/asound.state which holds the volume settings is not there and is not being generated. Strange, not sure how to fix it. I would recommend switching to X-slacko-3.1 with a new save.

Edit: Looks like some alsa files are missing, not sure how that happened. Download and install alsa-utils from PPM and your sound setting should be saved. ( I still recommend upgrading to v3.1 as v2.x is not being supported anymore.)

Sage

#879 Post by Sage »

No time to relax, rg - 6.3 just released in 32 & 64bit.

rg66

#880 Post by rg66 »

Sage wrote:No time to relax, rg - 6.3 just released in 32 & 64bit.
X-Slacko-4 and maybe X-Slacko64? I guess I'll have to download them in the next few days and have a look.

rg66

#881 Post by rg66 »

First test of Slacko-6.3 with Xfce-4.12
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(186.75 KiB) Downloaded 724 times

Sage

#882 Post by Sage »

Looks good! Perhaps stick with the 32bit Slacko for the moment? Too many anomalies popping up in the all-new Slacko64 at present.

muggins

#883 Post by muggins »

hello rg66,

which slacko is x-slacko-3.1 based on? trying to find relevant kernel source and devx, but not having much success.

thanks in advance

rg66

#884 Post by rg66 »

3.1 is based on slacko-6.0 beta 2 (5.9.3) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94328

Edit: Kernel sources are here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr/

Use devx_slacko_5.9.2.sfs from here: http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... lacko-591/

mistfire

Decluttering linux commmands in x-slacko

#885 Post by mistfire »

hi @rg66, I suggest that you should declutter more common unix commands by using symlinks pointed to busybox as many as possible and centralizing all the necessary files in a path and use symlinks to redirect the needed resource files. This will remove duplicate system files and greatly reduce the filesize of xslacko.

By the way, what is the release date of x-slacko based from slacko 6.3?

starhawk

#886 Post by starhawk »

@mistfire -- being that Puppy is a "size matters" lightweight distro, that's already been done.

Marv

#887 Post by Marv »

@mistfire Since X-slacko is directly based on slacko, that question might be better directed to the slacko thread. In a number of cases, there have been operational or compatibility reasons for retaining the full command scripts also.

rg66

Re: Decluttering linux commmands in x-slacko

#888 Post by rg66 »

mistfire wrote:hi @rg66, I suggest that you should declutter more common unix commands by using symlinks pointed to busybox as many as possible and centralizing all the necessary files in a path and use symlinks to redirect the needed resource files. This will remove duplicate system files and greatly reduce the filesize of xslacko.

By the way, what is the release date of x-slacko based from slacko 6.3?
See Marv's post above as I'll leave that to the slacko developer (01micko).

As far as the release date of X-slacko-4 based on slacko-6.3, it's hard to say. I've been taking a break from it and have been using a half finished version for over a month.

ozsouth

My CD booting issue - solved?

#889 Post by ozsouth »

I discovered that the Xslacko 3.1 versions of cdrecord & isomaster were causing my non-booting remastered cd's.
Using the versions from Xslacko 2.3.2 appear to have fixed this.

Mike Walsh

#890 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, rg66.

A query, if I may. The XFCE desktop used in X-Slacko 2.3.2 (yes, I know I'm using the older version, but it just works perfectly on my old Dell lappie!) has, I notice, had quite a number of the applets removed from the task bar settings.

One that I would like to add back is the XFCE4 weather module. Is there anything resembling a relatively pain-free method for achieving this.....or were certain items removed for reasons unknown (perhaps in the interests of the KISS principle, maybe) ?