X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#856 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:Tried PAE on 3 more desktops, booted no prob. The ISO's will stay as is for now.
Good. Burned a CD-R with the 3.1 PAE iso. Verified and boots fine both on my Core 2 duo laptop and on the Bay Trail desktop. Also dug out an old (2009) CD-RW, managed to blank it completely after a couple of attempts but could not get a reliable write to it with 3.0n, 3.1n or 1b2 using the Core 2 Duo laptop writer. Matches my experience of yore with the rewriteables (I stopped using them circa 2009). I think they don't like me! Are the new ones more robust?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

ally

#857 Post by ally »

hey rg

I have just booted x-tahr and that also has the no volume control problem as the new x-slacko

have just booted slacko 5.7.0 on the same box which works ok, will load 6 later and just double check but sure I remember it working

:)

rg66

#858 Post by rg66 »

ally wrote:@rg66

yes the volume buttons worked ok in 6, in fact I think this is the first build that have not worked on

:)
So they worked on v3.0?

Edit: You beat me too it!
Last edited by rg66 on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

#859 Post by rg66 »

01micko wrote:I haven't tried your x-slacko for a long time. It's rather refreshing really!

All the basics working ootb on my dell e7500.

When's the 64 version? :lol:
Thanks, nice to hear from the developer

Never really considered a 64bit version, maybe I'll give it a go when slacko64 goes beta.

rg66

#860 Post by rg66 »

Marv wrote:
rg66 wrote:Tried PAE on 3 more desktops, booted no prob. The ISO's will stay as is for now.
Good. Burned a CD-R with the 3.1 PAE iso. Verified and boots fine both on my Core 2 duo laptop and on the Bay Trail desktop. Also dug out an old (2009) CD-RW, managed to blank it completely after a couple of attempts but could not get a reliable write to it with 3.0n, 3.1n or 1b2 using the Core 2 Duo laptop writer. Matches my experience of yore with the rewriteables (I stopped using them circa 2009). I think they don't like me! Are the new ones more robust?
Thanks for testing Marv.

Don't know about the new ones (or old ones really), my win box doesn't like either. Was going to try a DVD-RW but the two I have are buggered.

Sage

#861 Post by Sage »

The ones I reported were :-
OLD - 650
NEW - 700
Never had a problem with the new ones with any distros (except 3.1), but the old ones were sometimes flaky.
How you gonna save your precious family photos for posterity?! HDs, CDs, USBs don't cut the mustard. Even nitrocellulose can be resurrected after a century. Anyone got a piano roll for those old B&W silents?

rcrsn51

#862 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sage wrote:How you gonna save your precious family photos for posterity?
Print them and put them in an album.

Billtoo

X-slacko-3.1 with Xfce-4.12.x

#863 Post by Billtoo »

I ran the Puppy Universal Installer from my X-slacko 3.1 pae remastered
DVD+RW and installed to a 32gb usb-3.0 flash drive.
It took a few minutes to setup the launchers on the panel + I added
VLC.
It's working well.

EDIT: I ran the PUI in my new flash drive installation and made another flash drive installation to use on my macmini.

X-Slacko-3.1 is great, thanks again.
Attachments
macmini.jpg
(37.88 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
screenshot.jpg
(30.73 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 19 Sep 2015, 00:11, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

#864 Post by Marv »

Sage wrote:The ones I reported were :-
OLD - 650
NEW - 700
Never had a problem with the new ones with any distros (except 3.1), but the old ones were sometimes flaky.
How you gonna save your precious family photos for posterity?! HDs, CDs, USBs don't cut the mustard. Even nitrocellulose can be resurrected after a century. Anyone got a piano roll for those old B&W silents?
The one I dredged up was indeed a 650.

I'm a fan of oral history. Either I've lived and told a good enough tale so someone remembers and retells it and it's a 1 or not and it's a 0. Kind of binary, no fading, no shoeboxes or albums required :lol:
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sage

#865 Post by Sage »

someone remembers and retells it
beware of 'chinese wispers', no disrespect to our Asian friends, just a figure of speech used in GB relating to the large population of that nation!

Jasper

#866 Post by Jasper »

In GB there is no such word as "wispers", but even the origin of "chinese whispers" is incorrectly intimated by Sage (as might be expected from that writer and the actual meaning of the phrase).

Also, CD and DVD read and write failures are far from unheard of.

As rcrsn51 said - stick it in your album.

rg66

#867 Post by rg66 »

KDE-3 based icon theme for X-slacko and X-tahr

http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-common-packages
Attachments
kde3.jpg
(38.64 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

Marv

#868 Post by Marv »

@rg66
Redoing one of the Pentium M laptops and ran into a quirk. I can't get audio CDs to autoplay on either pristine or savefile boots of 3.1n on either the pentium M or the core 2 duo. Works just fine with VLC or cvlc configured in the Thunar preferences>advanced settings>multimedia section under X-tahr 1b3. In 3.1 I've tried /usr/bin/gnome-mplayer /dev/sr0 and several variations. In terminal that works fine. Set up in thunar, nothing. Also tried mplayer. As an aside, running mplayer /dev/sr0 throws an error when run in terminal:
lavformat vers 55.33.100 (external)
mismatch header version 55.15.100

It acts like the cd is not recognized as an audio cd to me as I've put dummy progs like galculator in that command line slot and they don't run when the CD is inserted. It does show up as an audio CD on the desktop correctly. Thought it might be me cribbing gvfs but it acts identically on the pristine md5sum checked iso.

Again, it all works as expected in X-tahr 1b3.

I don't use the autorun myself but this machine is for a 'menu and structure baffled' user.

Could you pop an audio cd in and have a look?

Update:

I have it working. So far only only in 3.1n both pristine and my savefile ver but I'm pretty sure it can be applied to X-tahr 1b3. I did the following:
1. Disable /usr/local/bin/defaultcdplayer (I just renamed it). This forces puppy_eventmanager to use defaultmediaplayer for both cds and dvds and that passes the disk parameters correctly for both cd and dvd.
2. Disable volume management in thunar (edit>preferences>advanced).
3. set my preferences in control panel>system>puppy event manager. I have/leave hotplug support activated and under desktop icons>icon handler I enable both auto launch and auto play.

From my noodling, the command settings in control panel>hardware>removable drives and media>multimedia seem to be trumped by puppy event manager.

I'll get this settled in, try it in 1b3, and I have til the end of the week before the computer on the table is due. With the opensans fonts added, chromium doesn't look bad.. I posted in the bowsers thread.. so what is going out on this is the inbuilt firefox and chromium, both with profiles moved to the EXT2 partition and symlinked back and a LibreOffice SFS.

In 1b3 It works quite simply using thunar as the manager and /usr/bin/cvlc ccda:///dev/sr0 in the command line. If I use the puppy event manager and disable thunar volume management to make both pups 'act' the same, I have to edit both defaultcdplayer and defaultmediaplayer. Partly to swap d'beef for cvlc in the cd one and partly because the extra bit of YAD added in the event manager doesn't pass (so far as I can tell) the /dev/xxx part of the param to the defaultplayers when it calls them. Eyes done for the day..

So, try a cd or not as you will. I'm happy.

rg66

#869 Post by rg66 »

@Marv

I couldn't get X-slacko or X-tahr to auto run an audio cd. Fairly busy right now but will play around when I can.

Marv

#870 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:@Marv

I couldn't get X-slacko or X-tahr to auto run an audio cd. Fairly busy right now but will play around when I can.
I am satisfied with how it is working both in 3.1n and in 1b3 for my user. In 3.1, the three steps in my post above do it exactly. In 1b3, I do steps 2 and 3 as above but instead of step 1, I had to edit both defaultcdplayer and defaultmediaplayer as follows
defaultcdplayer

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec vlc "$@"/dev/cdrom
defaultmediaplayer

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/vlc "$@"/dev/dvd
As I see it this is required because the extra YAD code in the eventmanager in tahr (with a cd in, search for YAD in /root/.pup_event/drive_sr0/AppRun) doesnt pass /dev/xxx to the defaulthandlers so they are left trying to open cdda:// or dvdnav://. The part of the event manager that generates that is compiled so...

I never use any autostart stuff so I never had seen any of this. Turning on the autorun of the handler in puppy eventmanager also mounts usb drives and runs thunar when they are inserted. Not my cup of tea but what was asked for in this case also.

I understand busy 8)

Edit: More universal defaultplayers for 1b3 ttached. Add explicit disk location only if it is missing. Tested in 1b3 non-PAE only.
Attachments
1b3players.tar.gz
Players for autorun of cd & dvd in 1b3 with puppy eventmanager handler auto run enabled.
(269 Bytes) Downloaded 221 times

rg66

#871 Post by rg66 »

@Marv

Confirmed your way works (in X-slacko anyway), I couldn't get it to work any other way. Automount drives and open in thunar works though so not sure if it's a volume manager issue. I noticed that in /root/.pup_event/drive_sr0/AppRun that exec defaultcdplayer is missing cdda://, as it won't auto run without that.
if [ -f /usr/local/bin/defaultcdplayer ];then #100118
exec defaultcdplayer
else
exec defaultmediaplayer cdda://
fi
You can't edit it though because it keep getting over written.

Marv

#872 Post by Marv »

@rg66,
Yes, the AppRuns are generated by the portion of the eventmanager which is compiled so ... I wrestled with that in one of my deRoxification efforts some time ago. Actually, the defaultcdplayer I posted earlier should work fine in X-slacko and is a cleaner fix than hiding the cdplayer to force use of the defaultmediaplayer in X-slacko.

rg66

#873 Post by rg66 »

Marv wrote:@rg66,
Yes, the AppRuns are generated by the portion of the eventmanager which is compiled so ... I wrestled with that in one of my deRoxification efforts some time ago. Actually, the defaultcdplayer I posted earlier should work fine in X-slacko and is a cleaner fix than hiding the cdplayer to force use of the defaultmediaplayer in X-slacko.
You would think that setting defaultcdplayer to use defaultmediaplayer would work.

Marv

#874 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:
Marv wrote:@rg66,
You would think that setting defaultcdplayer to use defaultmediaplayer would work.
I don't see why it wouldn't. Lot's of ways to do this, don't know what's cleanest.

On another note, have you or anyone any guidance on using an iphone 6 with either 1b3 or X-slacko. My first time ever with any MTP device so... plug it in, gphoto2 finds it, IDs it as an iphone 5, and opens thunar. Access allowed on the iphone in the dialog box that pops up so it knows it is connected also. A storage folder shows up but no photos. A complete noob at this so be gentle :D

rg66

#875 Post by rg66 »

Marv wrote:On another note, have you or anyone any guidance on using an iphone 6 with either 1b3 or X-slacko. My first time ever with any MTP device so... plug it in, gphoto2 finds it, IDs it as an iphone 5, and opens thunar. Access allowed on the iphone in the dialog box that pops up so it knows it is connected also. A storage folder shows up but no photos. A complete noob at this so be gentle :D
For my iphone 4, pupcamera opens (no photo's visible) and a popup on the phone asks if I trust this computer. I click yes then pupcamera opens another instance and click on "Open usb:xxxxx" and the photo's are there. There is an MTP app in X-slacko from 01micko but it doesn't support iphones.