X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#76 Post by Sage »

That's a real shame, rg. My testbed for all compact distros is an XP board open on the bench. Whilst appreciating your efforts, this is a show-stopper. Frankly, it seems pointless consigning X-Slacko to modern tinware when it's unnecessary. It's clear that there are gurus out there who perfectly understand where the problem lies because NOP, Lighthouse, Carolina and others all run Xfce successfully on all boards. Perhaps micko can be persuaded? Not alone in believing this is a thoroughly worthwhile project.

kimathi

dbus

#77 Post by kimathi »

i find that the dbus error is due to dbus starting latter than when its needed eg using avahi or bluetooth the init scripts are executed starting with numbers then letters. since i use avahi and bluetooth these two would fail to contact dbus because they start before it. you may find it in /etc/init.d/ either named dbus or messagebus. I rename them/ it to start with 00dbus or 00messagebus that way its executed early on before anything else if that fails pick and use the init scripts from dpup wheezy they are two there as usual rename to start with numers it works.

Sage

#78 Post by Sage »

.../etc/init.d/ either named dbus or messagebus. I rename them/ it to start with 00dbus or 00messagebus...
Probably completely misunderstanding this, but created a re-master with 00messagebus. Still no picture on AMD XP2400.
Any further suggestions?

kimathi

#79 Post by kimathi »

Sage wrote: Probably completely misunderstanding this, but created a re-master with 00messagebus. Still no picture on AMD XP2400.
Any further suggestions?
Nope sorry it didn't work for you, i must have got it wrong in your case

Pete22

x-slacko

#80 Post by Pete22 »

I really like slacko with xfce.

I would like to use xfce-sensors in the panel but do not see it.
I know it's available in Carolina/

Is there any chance it can be included?

Thanks so much for such a nice puppy.

Pete

rg66

Re: x-slacko

#81 Post by rg66 »

Pete22 wrote:I really like slacko with xfce.

I would like to use xfce-sensors in the panel but do not see it.
I know it's available in Carolina/

Is there any chance it can be included?

Thanks so much for such a nice puppy.

Pete
I tried compiling panel plugins and kept getting errors. Search the repo for "xfce", I'm sure there are some plugins there.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

starhawk

#82 Post by starhawk »

rg66, could you do me kind of an odd favor? I think XSlacko 1.0 has found a home on my netbook... but...

Firefox updated itself and promptly died. Could you PM me a link to the PET that went into XSlacko so that I can fix it? Normally I'm a Chrome person but my local tech guru really really really wants me to try going back to Firefox, so I want to give it a chance. IIRC it was FF 24.

I'm really liking XSlacko -- it takes a lot to make me not want to try and make GNOME2 work (despite all the difficulty I've had) because I like it so much -- but I think I like the XFCE in XSlacko just as much :D it's a great Puplet you've got here.

Now to strip out a few more things so that it's not taking up ~700-800meg of my RAM right after bootup... *sigh* nothing's perfect!

starhawk

#83 Post by starhawk »

A couple *very minor* issues I'm having with XSlacko on my netbook. These are, as stated, very minor -- I'd classify them more as 'annoyances' than anything else.

(1) exactly every other time I boot the netbook, I have to manually resize the wallpaper to make it fill the screen. This probably has something to do with the fact that I'm using an external 15" 1024x768 monitor with the system (the internal one (10"@1024x600) is too small for me now) -- this netbook has always had quirks with that; in XP, the driver for ACPI (which for some weird reason also ran the Fn key on the keyboard) would crash and go away whenever I unplugged the monitor with the system running, requiring a reboot to bring it back. (I always figured it was a buggy driver. Maybe not...)

(2) tapping on the touchpad does not left-click. This is more annoying than #1 as I'm used to using that tap-click feature... but it mostly makes me smirk.

(3) this one is mostly a "huh?" sort of thing, not really even an annoyance. When the system is out of RAM and telling me so ("You have only 0MB RAM left, you should probably reboot to clear all that crap out" or whatever), and I do as I'm told :P it tries to restart X, fails, and dumps me to a bash prompt where I have to, you know, use a keyboard and actually type the word "reboot" and press the Enter key (gasp!). (I'm sorry, is my sarcasm showing again...? :P ) After I do that it saves and reboots perfectly fine as if nothing unusual happened whatsoever. Just kind of odd, is all.

The only other issue (which is my own fault and I know it) is that Thunderbird fills the RAM when it opens, without fail. This is because I have too much ****ing email, and most definitely not anything to do with XSlacko or Thunderbird itself. LOL. (no sarcasm this time. srsly.)

rg66

#84 Post by rg66 »

@ starhawk

I don't have a .pet for the firefox in X-slacko. Go here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... /releases/ and choose whatever version you want. Delete /opt/firefox and extract the new one to /opt and delete your /root/.mozilla. Maybe try an ESR version or disable automatic updates. Another option is to make a new savefile.

Right click on the desktop > Desktop Settings > Background tab > set style to auto instead of stretched, that might fix the re-size wallpaper issue.

Open Control panel > Hardware > Mouse and touch pad settings and check your touchpad settings. I think I had to change one of the settings to get the touchpad to work properly.

Not sure about the out of RAM thing. I think that happens in Carolina as well. Must be a "puppy issue" or maybe the wmreboot script. What happens if you shutdown instead of reboot?

starhawk

#85 Post by starhawk »

I'll see if there's a compatible Firefox PET here on the forums first, I think -- this poor little netbook is far too anemic for compiling, and I never get that to work right anyways.

Wallpaper is set to Auto.

I'll dink around with the touchpad settings.

Shutdown vs reboot = no change, at least for the Out Of RAM issue. My thinking is that it has to clear all the gunk from the RAM before it can do anything -- so the shutdown/reboot script crashes (or otherwise effs up) and dumps me to a prompt. Theory: everything I do requires X, so once X is off and a few whole seconds have passed, the RAM is cleared by internal housekeeping, and that gives enough RAM (and then some!) for the script to run properly.

EDIT: touchpad settings fixed the tap-click issue. Thanks!

Billtoo

X-slacko-1.1

#86 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install of xslacko-1.1 pae to my gateway desktop
pc.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sat 18 Jan 2014 on Slacko Puppy 5.6.0 Linux 3.10.5 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (602x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.38

I compiled wine 1.7.11 and have xbmc 12.3 and vlc 2.1.2 running under
wine.
Firefox updated to the latest version, everything is working great so
far.

EDIT:
After using xslacko-1.1 a lot for a couple of days and not finding any problems I'd say this one is a keeper, thanks :)
Attachments
Screenshot-5.jpg
(40.86 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.

starhawk

#87 Post by starhawk »

XSlacko 1.0 *runs* on Poulsbo hardware. Boots, X crashes without a desktop. Run xorgwizard, select modesetting, you get a desktop.

Thank you, rg66. Thank you.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

EDIT: specific hardware --
Axiomtech PICO820 motherboard
Atom Z530 CPU + NM10 chipset
Intel GMA500 graphics
2gb RAM
Was running from a Kingston DataTraveler 1gb USB flash drive as a test.

starhawk

#88 Post by starhawk »

Just curious -- does anyone know if XSlacko 1.0 savefiles are forwards compatible...? In other words, if I go from XSlacko 1.0 (the regular PAE version) to XSlacko 1.1-non-PAE, will I need to create a new savefile or will my old one still work with the new version?

rg66

#89 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:Just curious -- does anyone know if XSlacko 1.0 savefiles are forwards compatible...? In other words, if I go from XSlacko 1.0 (the regular PAE version) to XSlacko 1.1-non-PAE, will I need to create a new savefile or will my old one still work with the new version?
Not too many changes from 1.0 to 1.1, the only difference between pae and non-pae is the kernel so it should work. Just make a backup first just in case.

starhawk

#90 Post by starhawk »

Thanks! I'll do exactly that...

mikeslr

Video-Editing Apps that work in X-Slacko-1.1 non-pae

#91 Post by mikeslr »

Video-Editing Apps that work in X-Slacko-1.1 non-pae

Hi rg66 & all,

Just thought I'd mention that what I said in the following post applies to X-slacko-1.1, at least the non-pae version. Don't know about other x-slackos.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 063#753063.

You might want to consider mirroring Battleshooter's Openshot and Kdenlive SFSes on your site. Too many good apps are lost because of host problems or if their creators loose interest.

mikesLr

EdD

#92 Post by EdD »

Just booted up the pae version. Screen resolution came up fine, 1680x1050, ati driver chosen on startup does ok. First oddity was with the initial setup dialog box. Clicking on the setup icon at the bottom results in no response. Opened control panel and package manager isn't in there. I found it in system, in the menu, but nowhere else.

Starting firefox, it comes up with a delay, then, if it's minimized it won't restore, just stays in the tray and requires a second opening of the browser that comes up at the homepage, though the history shows this thread that I minimized to get at the control panel again.. The o/s runs pretty fast, no real problems except the oddities I mentioned. Maybe it's just my machine. Specs are in my sig line.

Regards,
Ed
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

starhawk

#93 Post by starhawk »

Bit of a nasty bug in X-Slacko 1.0 -- dunno if it's some weird interaction with my hardware (it's happened before) or not.

Any time I install a PET from the forum, or ANY package (happens with compatible Slackware TXZ's and with DEB's as well), a minute or two after I tell PetGet to install, the system 'soft freezes' -- mouse can move, but clicks don't register. If I do CTRL+ALT+BKSP it doesn't get to a # prompt, but freezes hard at the desktop instead -- and sometimes it doesn't even get that far!

Not a good thing.

Was this fixed in 1.1? If so I'll upgrade. I'm still putting that off :oops:

rg66

#94 Post by rg66 »

@ EdD

I haven't had any of those things happen on any of the comps I've run X-slacko on, Maybe check the md5.

@ starhawk

Ya, that was fixed in 1.1. It was a file overwrite warning that was causing it.

starhawk

#95 Post by starhawk »

OK, I'll bite the bullet and upgrade today.