X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#376 Post by Sage »

Bingo! Thanks - no sign of the blighter.
deltae take me a bit longer to manipulate because I don't use Puppies in the way intended. I use CD-RW-.iso and HD-FULL only, so like to overwrite .iso s. Just my preference, not necessarily a recommendation.

Billtoo

X-slacko-2.3

#377 Post by Billtoo »

I did an install of X-slacko-2.3 but the PPM doesn't work properly as
far as I can see so I started over and did an install of X-slacko-2.2
to a 32gb flash drive.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Thu 11 Dec 2014 on X-slacko 2.2 Linux 3.4.82 i686
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4

AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Core 0: @1695 MHz

No problems with this one.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(190.11 KiB) Downloaded 772 times

rg66

Re: X-slacko-2.3

#378 Post by rg66 »

Billtoo wrote:I did an install of X-slacko-2.3 but the PPM doesn't work properly as
far as I can see so I started over and did an install of X-slacko-2.2
to a 32gb flash drive.
I didn't change ppm at all for v2.3 but I barely use it so I did some testing. My save has Mavrothal's ppm mods to choose save dir so I booted in to RAM.

1. Update ppm > Success
2. Download only parole-0.3.0.3-i486-1gv > Success
3. Install only xfce4-cpufreq-plugin-1.0.4 > Success

What issue were you having and did you check the ISO and or delta md5sum?
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Billtoo

#379 Post by Billtoo »

The only PPM I saw was launched from the control panel and it was for
checking dependencies of a package.
I guess I was looking in the wrong place.

My main OS updated wget a couple of days ago so I downloaded the source
and added it to X-slacko 2.2

# wget --version
GNU Wget 1.16.1 built on linux-gnu.

I'll stick with 2.2 for now, thanks.

EDIT: the md5 sum of the iso was 498fcd9ea27b580142d9178968ccbaa5

rg66

#380 Post by rg66 »

Billtoo wrote:The only PPM I saw was launched from the control panel and it was for
checking dependencies of a package.
I guess I was looking in the wrong place.

My main OS updated wget a couple of days ago so I downloaded the source
and added it to X-slacko 2.2

# wget --version
GNU Wget 1.16.1 built on linux-gnu.

I'll stick with 2.2 for now, thanks.

EDIT: the md5 sum of the iso was 498fcd9ea27b580142d9178968ccbaa5
Md5 is right so no worries there. PPM is in start menu > System, same as in v2.2. The only difference between v2.2 and v2.3 is some security updates (wget, openssl, bash), Firefox, and a few minor changes, visually it's the same.

Billtoo

X-slacko-2.3

#381 Post by Billtoo »

I installed 2.3 to another flash drive and got it right this time.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Fri 12 Dec 2014 on X-slacko 2.3 Linux 3.10.32 i686
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4

AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Core 0: @1700 MHz

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(98.41 KiB) Downloaded 689 times

pchan

#382 Post by pchan »

Hi rg66,

I have used many puppies before but I have always returned to X puppy series.
One of the best feature that I love about x puppies is the user can decide whether to save or not save the session when shutting down.

I am surprised that this feature is unavailable in the latest X-slacko 2.4

I usually install in both pendrive and my hard drive. In my hard drive I use EasyBCD neogrub to boot. In the menu.lst, I use this

title X-precise-2.4
root (hd0,2)
kernel /X-precise-2.4/vmlinuz psubdir=/X-precise-2.4 psubok=TRUE pmedia=ataflash
initrd=/X-precise-2.4/initrd.gz
boot

In the case of x-slacko 2.4, even though I have the string "pmedia=ataflash"
in the menu.lst, the option to save or don't save session doesn't appear during shutdown. Is there a way to bring this option back? Thanks

rg66

#383 Post by rg66 »

pchan wrote:Hi rg66,

I have used many puppies before but I have always returned to X puppy series.
One of the best feature that I love about x puppies is the user can decide whether to save or not save the session when shutting down.

I am surprised that this feature is unavailable in the latest X-slacko 2.4

I usually install in both pendrive and my hard drive. In my hard drive I use EasyBCD neogrub to boot. In the menu.lst, I use this

title X-precise-2.4
root (hd0,2)
kernel /X-precise-2.4/vmlinuz psubdir=/X-precise-2.4 psubok=TRUE pmedia=ataflash
initrd=/X-precise-2.4/initrd.gz
boot

In the case of x-slacko 2.4, even though I have the string "pmedia=ataflash"
in the menu.lst, the option to save or don't save session doesn't appear during shutdown. Is there a way to bring this option back? Thanks
Thanks for the support pchan, I did a few changes and forgot to update an important file. See this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 866#812866

Edit: I also removed pupsaveconfig because it doesn't work properly with save to folder. To set save interval (none, at shutdown etc...) go to Control Panel > System > Puppy Event Manager > Save Session tab.

pchan

#384 Post by pchan »

Hi rg66,

I downloaded "rc.shutdown.gz," extracted it and did as instructed.

Unfortunately, I am still unable to have the option at shutdown whether to SAVE or NOT SAVE the session. Maybe, there is a reason that you have decided to remove this feature.

But it is really nice to have this feature because when I install and uninstall things during a session, I would sometimes do something that could break the puppy os. In the case of x puppy series, I can easily select "don't save' when shutting down so that my puppy os can stay clean in the next boot up.

This feature is very useful for someone who knows very little about how to repair puppy os when something gets messed up.

rg66

#385 Post by rg66 »

pchan wrote:Hi rg66,

I downloaded "rc.shutdown.gz," extracted it and did as instructed.

Unfortunately, I am still unable to have the option at shutdown whether to SAVE or NOT SAVE the session. Maybe, there is a reason that you have decided to remove this feature.

But it is really nice to have this feature because when I install and uninstall things during a session, I would sometimes do something that could break the puppy os. In the case of x puppy series, I can easily select "don't save' when shutting down so that my puppy os can stay clean in the next boot up.

This feature is very useful for someone who knows very little about how to repair puppy os when something gets messed up.
I didn't remove it, I just tested it and it's working for me. I changed menu.lst from pmedia=atahd to ataflash, rebooted then went to Control Panel > System > Puppy Event Manager > Save Session tab and tried all three settings (-0, 0, +0) rebooted each time and they all worked.

pchan

#386 Post by pchan »

Ok. I have just noticed that there is now the option to put a +(plus) before the 0 in the event manager in order for the system to ask during shutdown whether to save or not save. This is great idea. THANKS !!!

mistfire

#387 Post by mistfire »

does x-precise and x-slacko can read and write hard drives with GPT style partitions? does x-slacko works on intel GMA 3600 like x-precise does using modesetting?

rg66

#388 Post by rg66 »

mistfire wrote:does x-precise and x-slacko can read and write hard drives with GPT style partitions? does x-slacko works on intel GMA 3600 like x-precise does using modesetting?
Not sure about GPT, if slacko can then X-slacko should do as well. If I find some time I'll try.

Slacko has a newer kernel than precise so I would assume video would work. If you try please report back.

rg66

#389 Post by rg66 »

As a quick test I made a GPT partition table on an 80GB disk attached as USB in Win7. Plugged it in to X-slacko and it shows up in Thunar and Gparted. I didn't realize that Gparted can make a GPT partition table so I redid it and everything seems fine. Haven't tried booting from it though.

Edit: Wanted to see if X-slacko will boot from GTP but Grub4dos doesn't support it. Don't want to play around with another boot loader as I've got about 10 puppies using grub4dos.
Attachments
gpt.jpg
(47.12 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

rcrsn51

#390 Post by rcrsn51 »

rg66 wrote:Edit: Wanted to see if X-slacko will boot from GTP but Grub4dos doesn't support it. Don't want to play around with another boot loader as I've got about 10 puppies using grub4dos.
FWIW, I set up a GPT hard drive with an ext4 partition. I made a frugal install of Puppy and booted it with Legacy Grub Config 2013 (the original version - not the butchered Slacko version). It worked fine.

starhawk

#391 Post by starhawk »

Hey rg66 -- don't know the best place to put this, sorry -- I booted up Tahrpup 6.0 yesterday and it was pretty nice, but I love XFCE which it doesn't have... any chance there's gonna be an X-Tahr...? I could go for that... ;)

rg66

#392 Post by rg66 »

rcrsn51 wrote:FWIW, I set up a GPT hard drive with an ext4 partition. I made a frugal install of Puppy and booted it with Legacy Grub Config 2013 (the original version - not the butchered Slacko version). It worked fine.
Thanks, that's good to know.

rg66

#393 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:Hey rg66 -- don't know the best place to put this, sorry -- I booted up Tahrpup 6.0 yesterday and it was pretty nice, but I love XFCE which it doesn't have... any chance there's gonna be an X-Tahr...? I could go for that... ;)
I did have Xfce running in Tahr which I downloaded from the repo with a bazillion dependencies. I tried compiling it in Tahr but got too many errors. I might have another look at it but I'm slowly doing X-slacko-2.4 at the moment and have plans for X-slacko-3 beta based on slacko-6 (5.9.3). I'm not a huge fan of Ubuntu and besides, "X-Tahr" sounds a bit goofy :wink:

starhawk

#394 Post by starhawk »

OK, no worries... :) just asking on a whim, really...

A pity XFCE is so heavy... Tahrpup runs like a dream on my Poulsbo motherboard but I absolutely cannot stand JWM/ROX... I can't stand LXDE either lol or I'd consider going in that direction... XFCE is the one for me ;)

mistfire

#395 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 is this a bug in x-slacko?

* I remove cmake (builtin packages). The XFCE environment failed to execute when I clicked or double-click except on actively running programs. When I reboot the system and load my settings (the settings is installed on my hard disk) Xfce failed to start.

* I remove some builtin packages on X-slacko and change the desktop appearance and panel settings, Then I remastered the X-slacko. When I test remastered X-slacko, The panel settings and appearance was return to original settings not my customized one. On the panel, the firefox icon was still there (even I removed the firefox and replace with midori browser). The softwares that I removed was still intact in remove builtin packages entries.

* I try x-slacko to run on my NEO bc2ew-102 (INTEL GMA 3600 video). It fail to start X automatically unless modesetting is used. unlike x-precise which the X automatically runs at 800x600 resolution. When I save the video settings for that netbook then reboot, the X hangs and got stuck up.

* ftp access in thunar doesnt work. Can you please add ftp access in thunar?

Suggestions:

* Can you please replace mplayer with a lighter and faster media player in order to reduce the image size of X-slacko as small as possible?

* Improve mounting of SFS and Disk images (such as ISO, IMG, etc). When the SFS or images mount, they will appear on thunar as storage devices. When they unmount they will disappear automatically on Thunar.

Questions:

What are builtin packages and files on x-slacko that can be safely removed without affecting the functionality of XFCE and X-slacko?