X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#31 Post by James C »

Just tried the X-precise 2.0 cd on my Athlon XP box......same result....black screen with the error message.
No problems on newer AMD hardware.

Marv

#32 Post by Marv »

My Athlon is a real mutt. It is a repackaged mobile sold as a desktop chip so I've no real notion of new/old. Very very few out there like it. Run startxfce4 from your 'black screen' command line. Looks like it is a D-Bus error. Is it worth chasing?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Tman

#33 Post by Tman »

JamesC and Marv,

Have you tried Saluki and gray's Xfce based Pups on those computers? It would help to know if other versions of Xfce can work on them.

Marv

#34 Post by Marv »

I've run all the Salukis and lina up through lina lite 005 sucessfully on this box. I believe it ran Grays xfce NOP ok also but I currently don't have a copy to doublecheck. Right now it's up in a remastered lina-lite 005 with no problems at all.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

James C

#35 Post by James C »

Tman wrote:JamesC and Marv,

Have you tried Saluki and gray's Xfce based Pups on those computers? It would help to know if other versions of Xfce can work on them.
Looking back through my notes....... Saluki 023 and Precise NOP 5.4.1 (XFCE 4.10) both worked fine on my Athlon XP box.Just tried Precise NOP live ..... no problems...straight to a working XFCE desktop.

rg66

#36 Post by rg66 »

I can confirm that lina lite works on my Athlon XP 1600 box.
Marv wrote:Looks like it is a D-Bus error. Is it worth chasing?
No, I've spent enough time trying to fix this. It is definitely over my head.

Apart from not working on older AMD/P3's, it seems to be running ok. I'm using it as my every day OS with no problems. (Pentium dual core E5700 @ 3Ghz/Asrock Wolfdale1333-D667, 2GB RAM, CPU-3-5%, RAM 70MB @ idle)
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Tman

#37 Post by Tman »

rg66 wrote:I was getting too many compile errors in X-slacko so I might try the slacko Xfce sfs (or at least parts of it) again and see if it fixes the problem.
Ideally, you should do the compile on your old Athlon using the official Slacko-5.6, with a clean install.

I am guessing the reason that the slacko sfs is giving you problems because it was compiled on an older Slacko, one which was not based on Slackware14.

Deacon

Nice!

#38 Post by Deacon »

Testing X-Slacko-- it actually works more nicely than early X-Precise I downloaded, as far as I can see! The biggest change is the fact on the Precise (this may have been fixed) certain installation attempts will crash Xfce and freeze the system. Even if a program doesn't work on install here, the system works smoothly.

Great work! This is really a system that looks easy for Win-users to transition with.

rg66

#39 Post by rg66 »

Tman wrote:Ideally, you should do the compile on your old Athlon using the official Slacko-5.6, with a clean install.

I am guessing the reason that the slacko sfs is giving you problems because it was compiled on an older Slacko, one which was not based on Slackware14.
Compiling and myself have never really gotten along. I did notice Xfce-4.10 in the repo so I might try that and see if it works on the Athlon box. For now it will have to stay as is due to time restraints.

rg66

Re: Nice!

#40 Post by rg66 »

Deacon wrote:The biggest change is the fact on the Precise (this may have been fixed) certain installation attempts will crash Xfce and freeze the system.
This was happening to me also, I thought it was just my machine because no else mentioned this issue.

It's an issue with installpkg.sh, I'm trying to figure out what the problem is but it does it randomly.

sszindian

X-Slacko

#41 Post by sszindian »

X-Slacko

MPlayer will not play downloaded MP4's, FLV's etc., when activated with a mouse-click on the file.

MPlayer starts but before playing the file, it appears to load the file but then stops and drops back to a tiny dialog box.

Not sure if it's just my system or a problem? X-Precise, not a problem, all plays nice there.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rg66

Re: X-Slacko

#42 Post by rg66 »

sszindian wrote:X-Slacko

MPlayer will not play downloaded MP4's, FLV's etc.
Plays everything I throw at it here, I even dl'ed a sample .flv and it played no probs.

rg66

Re: X-Slacko

#43 Post by rg66 »

Double post :oops:

sszindian

MPlayer

#44 Post by sszindian »

rg66 wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plays everything I throw at it here, I even dl'ed a sample .flv and it played no probs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't know what else to tell you, let's see if anyone else reports a problem with MPlayer then I'll know if it's my setup or not!

>>>---Indian------>

dawg

#45 Post by dawg »

Hi guys

Unfortunately, I can report the same problem(s), plus some more:
- the (Gnome) Mplayer doesn't play anything for me, either; not mp4, flv, avi, nor mp3.
The machine is a P4 lappy.

- on a P3 lappy the X/Xfce won't even start, reporting the same as mentioned by some of you guys.

- (only) on XSlacko and XPrecise I'm getting an annoying constant high-pitched buzzing noise (much "TV-like"), which doesn't seem to be coming out of the built-in speakers (can't say for sure about this without opening the lappy up, as I've malfunctioning headphone & mic jacks), and it seems to be connected to CPU throttling somehow (P4 lappy), as only in powersave mode it finally stops (or maybe it just gets out of the hearing frequency range). Maybe some infinitely-looped script running somewhere, that shouldn't be? Just an uninformed guess.
(Forgot about this) I guess I should also try the PAE/non-PAE difference, whichever version I don't have.

- Thunar file list font is too big (for me), and it's also at a fixed size, which it shouldn't be! I was also hoping for a newer version (1.6.x, as in XPrecise).

- Frisbee isn't acquiring the eth0 IP or anything, although I had it set up (can't recall which way, though; I might re-test this later), and I have to click the Enable wireless network (which I'm not even using and have it disabled!) for it to bother with the eth0 (which isn't wireless)! Very strange.

- Unloading of SFSes (on-the-fly) doesn't seem to be refreshing the menus until after reboot or so.

- FireFTP: doesn't seem to exist (apart from the menu entry).

- (I'm not sure about this, haven't checked it properly yet, so feel free to ignore this point for now, but..) I think this works on other Puppy systems:
are Thunar and/or Xfce/X ignoring my .bashrc? I've some paths and stuff set in there.

Other than that, I love the ability (and I would need) to have double monitors set up! (unlike with Lina, which simply starts some strange infinite disk activity and becomes unresponsive so I have to turn the machine off and back on).
So I really wish those other things can get sorted out somehow, as I would love to see and have a fully-functioning XFce Puppy Slacko... or if not XSlacko, maybe XPrecise. Then again, I've yet to give PCLinuxOS a try, but that's not a pup.
Last edited by dawg on Fri 27 Sep 2013, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

OscarTalks

#46 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello guys,

There is something of a "known issue" with the mplayer (and so also gnome-mplayer) in Slacko 5.6

01micko has posted a .pet of a newly-compiled mplayer here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=97

I found that some video files would not play in the original but installing this .pet fixed it for me.
Oscar in England

dawg

#47 Post by dawg »

Indeed, this does solve the problem for me too. Thanks, OscarTalks!
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

sszindian

MPlayer

#48 Post by sszindian »

OscarTalks Wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is something of a "known issue" with the mplayer (and so also gnome-mplayer) in Slacko 5.6

01micko has posted a .pet of a newly-compiled mplayer here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=97

I found that some video files would not play in the original but installing this .pet fixed it for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Thanks Oscar' The .pet for the NEW MPlayer fixed my problem also!

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

PPM issue

#49 Post by sszindian »

X-Slacko

Wanted to use two programs- Osmo and Leafpad. Couldn't find them in X-Slacko anywhere so went and did a search in the PPM. PPM indicated that both these programs were already installed in X-Slacko... they were not, at least to the point where you could click on anything and use them.

I reinstalled both programs from the PPM despite the warning that the supposed already installed packages would be over written.

Both work just fine now!

FYI If you run across this with any other packages just reinstall the program from the PPM, you always then have the option to uninstall it!

Wifi holding up well so far!

Seamonkey browser appears more stable than Firefox (at least on my setup.)

And on with the testing we go....

>>>---Indian------>

rg66

#50 Post by rg66 »

@ dawg

I've had X-slacko running on 4 different comps and haven't seen any of the problems you are experiencing except for the AMD/P3 issue. Does your ISO md5sum checkout?

As for the thunar font size, it's not adjustable as far as I know. You can go to Control Panel > Desktop > Set global font size and change from 96dpi to something smaller but it will be system wide (after restartX).

@ sszindian

Slacko (pre-X), lists removed packages as installed in ppm. I'm sure precise does as well but will have to confirm this.